Amazon Dark Souls PS3/360 $15.99 Free Shipping.

[quote name='FerDK']I wonder if the disc version of the Prepare to Die Edition is comming to America...[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. It wouldn't be the only time where Europe gets "ultimate editions" of games with the DLC on disc that never comes to America.

I still have my Future Press strategy guide sealed up waiting for the day when I decide to get this game. I want to see what all the fuss is about, it's too bad FROM never released a demo.

[quote name='Bosamba']I don't think so. It wouldn't be the only time where Europe gets "ultimate editions" of games with the DLC on disc that never comes to America.

I still have my Future Press strategy guide sealed up waiting for the day when I decide to get this game. I want to see what all the fuss is about, it's too bad FROM never released a demo.[/QUOTE]

Have you never played Demon Souls before too?

[quote name='aaf']I am waiting for $3 drop more[/QUOTE]

Do you guys really believe that Dark Souls will drop to $10? I'm not saying it's impossible, but for some reason I don't see that happening. Then again, i'm unfamiliar with the selling history of Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Snuggelz']Do you guys really believe that Dark Souls will drop to $10? I'm not saying it's impossible, but for some reason I don't see that happening. Then again, i'm unfamiliar with the selling history of Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

It will be $5 at some point. It has the reputation of being a super hard niche title and AFAIK there is no indication they did a small printing of them.

[quote name='Downhome']Is a play through of Demon's Souls required before diving into this one?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Both are amazing though and playing one won't ruin the other.

Thanks, TC! I finally decided to give in and get this game. I saw this game a month or so ago for $15-$20 and was very tempted to pick it up then. But this $12.99 price point with free shipping is just a steal. I can imagine seeing this for $10 a few months down the road, but I'm still very satisfied at the price that I'm getting it for.

[quote name='Downhome']Is a play through of Demon's Souls required before diving into this one?[/QUOTE]
Only connection between the two games is its gameplay style (though there are several mechanical differences between them) and a single character NPC, so you are fine to start with either. Demon's Souls is a little easier I think because some of the things you could abuse to make the game easier (unlimited heals, unlimited casts of magic) were scaled back in Dark Souls.
[quote name='crunchewy']Is there any reason to prefer this on one platform or the other?[/QUOTE]
The original game was on PS3, so Dark Souls sold about 30% more copies on the PS3 in the US (2.2X worldwide) compared to the Xbox version so invasions/co-op will be easier down the line in the ps3 version as there is a bigger pool of players. Though they functionally perform very similarly so if you only have one system or prefer the xbox controller, its fine to get that version.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is there any reason to prefer this on one platform or the other?[/QUOTE]

Whichever has the larger player base. Pretty sure the PS3 has the larger, but I'm not positive.

[quote name='Bosamba']I don't think so. It wouldn't be the only time where Europe gets "ultimate editions" of games with the DLC on disc that never comes to America.

I still have my Future Press strategy guide sealed up waiting for the day when I decide to get this game. I want to see what all the fuss is about, it's too bad FROM never released a demo.[/QUOTE]

Both are immersive and espectacular games with a unique kind of gameplay.
IMHO...
Demon's Souls = best Ps3 exclusive.
Dark Souls = probably the best game of this gen so far.

Lol @ Future Press Strategy Guide.

That thing is useless :p
The game has changed so much since the original release version.

Nice collector's item one day though maybe.
Keep it sealed.

game is not for the weak. game worth full retail price...

[quote name='Blaster man']It will be $5 at some point. It has the reputation of being a super hard niche title and AFAIK there is no indication they did a small printing of them.[/QUOTE]
They made it so much easier w patches cause people cried to much... remove update its more better..

This may not be a fair comparison, but just trying to gauge the difficulty of Dark Souls. The most recent game I can recall that really frustrated me was Jak 2. If I managed to beat it, how will I fare with Dark Souls? Again I know they are completely different games but just wondering how close they are in terms of challenge.

[quote name='roedaniel19']This may not be a fair comparison, but just trying to gauge the difficulty of Dark Souls. The most recent game I can recall that really frustrated me was Jak 2. If I managed to beat it, how will I fare with Dark Souls? Again I know they are completely different games but just wondering how close they are in terms of challenge.[/QUOTE]

The difficulty is really overstated. It's a simple, deep, and elegant combat system that works beautifuly.

The difficulty comes from the lack of explanation on how anything works. Once you read or play and learn how everything works the game gets much easier. Yes the bosses are tough and you will die often but thats the games way of telling you that you did something wrong.

It's hard because it's unforgiving of mistakes. Once I learned how to beat a boss or tough enemy and got past them, I felt like a badass in a way that games rarely make me feel any more.... And then I would run into something else that would destroy me for a while until I figured out how to beat that one.

[quote name='roedaniel19']This may not be a fair comparison, but just trying to gauge the difficulty of Dark Souls. The most recent game I can recall that really frustrated me was Jak 2. If I managed to beat it, how will I fare with Dark Souls? Again I know they are completely different games but just wondering how close they are in terms of challenge.[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls is more challenging. I played Jak 2 and while I will give that game credit in that it has challenge, the Soul series prides itself on extreme challenge. When you fail, you tend to fail real real real hard in the Soul series but on the upside, when you overcome the challenge and succeed, the game is extremely rewarding. Hell the game's tagline is "Prepare to Die." lol So if you are the type of person who gets extremely frustrated at extreme challenge, Dark Souls maybe a little extreme.

P.S.: 360 version is now 15.99 as well.

Thanks Fire Warrior and Althax, I guess I'll pass for now. If it didn't have so much to play already, I might've taken a chance on it. Maybe later.

I would get the 360 version if you plan to play it using the online functionality. If it is anything like Demon's Souls the servers were quickly shutdown. At least if history repeats itself the 360 should have XBOX Live running for about four years after the new XBOX console launches, which will allow you to take your time playing Dark Souls with online features.

If you do not need the online then I would recommend looking for a comparison video and then making your own decision about which is better.

The Demon's Souls servers are still up and running... so... I don't know what you're talking about.

Additionally, Dark Souls uses peer-to-peer connection so as long as PSN and Xbox live exist, you should be able to do multiplayer.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The Demon's Souls servers are still up and running... so... I don't know what you're talking about.

Additionally, Dark Souls uses peer-to-peer connection so as long as PSN and Xbox live exist, you should be able to do multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Last time I read up on it they were going down in May.

Links to two news stories with shutdown date:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/11/demon-39-s-souls-going-offline-end-of-may.aspx

http://kotaku.com/5901420/demons-souls-servers-shutting-down-on-may-31st

But it looks like they changed that with a quick Google search.

Link to news story about servers not shutting down:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Demon-Souls-Servers-Won-t-Shut-Down-Month-42887.html

During that quick Google search I found other news articles about the servers having a deadline for Demon's Souls.

Another news story link with a different server shutdown timeline:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...demon-39-s-souls-servers-alive-into-2012.aspx

Well, now you know what I am talking about.

Online would depend on who shuts down what first. There were PS2 games running online for the longest. Hell, it wasn't till last year before they shutdown Everquest Online Adventures.

Halo 2 was only up for 5 years for It's online service, granted it came out late in the XBox life cycle compared to some other games that were shutdown once they shut off the original xbox service. I never understood why MS did it because I couldn't imagine it costs them much to maintain original xbox servers.

Ultimately though PC is still the way to go in terms of playing a game online forever. I was planning on buying this game again for the PC down the road, like when Steam has their infamous sales.

If I were to choose between two though I would say the PS3 version because it has more users which is always good for those invasions and summoning phantoms to help you beat a boss.

bread's done
Back