Need Wii U gamepad advice for Wii Titles

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
Hey was hoping someone could help me out.

I want to purchase The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles (wii games), but only have a Wii U

I have the standard gamepad with the screen that cames with the wii u, and one of the new controllers ordered from newegg (whenever they ship it)

What Controller do I need to play original wii games on my wii u ?

Would some crap like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-White-Cl...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2c65ed1411

from ebay work ?

If anyone could point it out to me id greatly appreciate it. I love nintendo as a company, but man they make stuff way more complicated than it should ever be.

You need an original wiimote (or plus) and nunchuck. Try Toys R Us for a Flingsmash bundle around $22 to get the wiimote, and the nunchuck will run you about $20. The pro controller you're referring to does not support original Wii games.

[quote name='coolz481']You need an original wiimote (or plus) and nunchuck. Try Toys R Us for a Flingsmash bundle around $22 to get the wiimote, and the nunchuck will run you about $20. The pro controller you're referring to does not support original Wii games.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely HATE the original wiimote and it was the sole reason I didnt purchase a wii.

There is no way to play original wii games with a REAL controller ?

I could of sworn the controller I linked was an original wii remote.

I know have a Wii u Plus controller preordered (which I assume wont work on original wii games)

But http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-White-Cl...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2c65ed1411

should just be for the original wii, no ?

[quote name='skiizim']You can use Classic Controller Pro in coalition with the wii mote. They actually had a bundle for Xenoblade and the controller but it was only sold at the Nintendo store.[/QUOTE]

Do I need both a wii remote AND a classic controller pro ?

Or could I play it with just a classic controller pro ? (as this is what id prefer)

[quote name='dcm1602']Do I need both a wii remote AND a classic controller pro ?

Or could I play it with just a classic controller pro ? (as this is what id prefer)[/QUOTE]

You need to plug the controller into the wiimote, it's sort of the butt end of the receiver to say the least.

the classic controller doesn't have bluetooth. It's corded and if you look at the picture there's no Power button. It needs to plug into a wiimote.

Get a wiimote and a nunchuk. It works fine for xenoblade. Not sure why they can't just map the controls to the wiipad. It was the same deal with gamecube games on wii. You could only play with gamecube controllers, even though you couldnt even start the game without a wiimote

I just started playing a bit of Xenoblade with the CC pro, and it feels pretty good. You should be able to find a cheap(er) one somewhere on clearance, or just bite the bullet and pay the rough $10-15 bucks on a used one. Personally I would avoid any Hong Kong / China listings on Ebay, as knockoffs usually aren't as sturdy or reliable as the official OEM type.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I just started playing a bit of Xenoblade with the CC pro, and it feels pretty good. You should be able to find a cheap(er) one somewhere on clearance, or just bite the bullet and pay the rough $10-15 bucks on a used one. Personally I would avoid any Hong Kong / China listings on Ebay, as knockoffs usually aren't as sturdy or reliable as the official OEM type.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind buying a CC pro, but since you apparently need a wii remote with it (like 40$) thats making it close to 60$ just for a controller for old wii games.

Kinda absurd to me

That's how it works. The Wii's main controller is the Wii Remote. Any extra controllers that are NOT a Gamecube Controller should be plugged into the socket. If you don't want to get a Wii Remote +, which is needed for Wii U games that support it, you can get an original one for cheap, maybe less than $20. To play Xenoblade Chronicles or any non Wii-Remote game that does not use a GameCube Controller, you must buy a Classic Controller or a Classic Controller Pro. There's not other way around it.

You can't use a Wii U gamepad for Wii games because it is not backwards compatible that way. If you want to play Wii games on the Wii U, you must use a television as usual.

[quote name='dcm1602']I wouldnt mind buying a CC pro, but since you apparently need a wii remote with it (like 40$) thats making it close to 60$ just for a controller for old wii games.

Kinda absurd to me[/QUOTE]

Wii remotes are still thought of as standard controllers for Wii U. Most games you can still use them, and honestly, eventually you're going to need at least one for multiplayer if you ever want to play some couch co-op/versus. You can use the gamepad for most things, but you're kinda out of luck if you want multiple people playing at one time. Not to mention you're going to need them for any and all Wii games(even if just to use with the CCP). Point is, these are not obsolete for Wii U as they will still be implemented by dev teams.

Do yourself a favor and just go ahead and pick up a couple.

Hit the Kotaku link up there. Sounds like those new 3rd party Wii u pro controllers are actually Wii controllers that merge the wiimote with an actual controller. It's a wiimote and nunchuk in one.

[quote name='nickerous']Hit the Kotaku link up there. Sounds like those new 3rd party Wii u pro controllers are actually Wii controllers that merge the wiimote with an actual controller. It's a wiimote and nunchuk in one.[/QUOTE]

I checked it out

They havent been released

Think it has another 3-4 months at least

[quote name='dcm1602']I checked it out

They havent been released

Think it has another 3-4 months at least[/QUOTE]

FYI, saw one of these at Target last night. It was the all black one...

[quote name='klingon666']The Wii u gamepad is not Bluetooth either WHY![/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, I have no idea if the gamepad has motion controls or not but I"m going to assume bluetooth can't replicate what the motion controls can do.

Not gonna lie, Last Story was really damn disappointing.

A tremendously weak combat system, im not sure how people liked its combat so mcuh. It felt like a weak version of vagrant story (almost) combat wise.

I think Star Ocean or Tales of vesperia's combat was way better.

Hopefully Xenoblade is better

You might as well get a used original (non motion plus) controller on ebay or amazon (currently $14 shipped from a 3rd party seller)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000IMWK2G/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

and a Wii classic controller (I'd buy the official Nintendo one as the quality is much superior to the generic ebay ones)

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-C...423792&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+classic+controller

Should be around $35 total.

Plus you'll have a second controller (Wiimote) to play game with other people.

bread's done
Back