Fortune Street Wiii $13 at amazon shipped if you have prime.

Really want to pick this up, but it's been sitting at this price for some time now, so just hanging on to the hopes it will hit the $10 mark at some point before I pick it up.

[quote name='Squarehard']Really want to pick this up, but it's been sitting at this price for some time now, so just hanging on to the hopes it will hit the $10 mark at some point before I pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Interested... Why do you want to pick it up? Is it supposed to be fun?

I'm curious as to whether the game is any good, myself. Haven't heard even one word from anyone about it at all, and it's been out for, what, well over a year now? I've noticed that it's been steadily dropping in price over time, too, so I'm not as worried about grabbing it.

...though more Club Nintendo coins is always nice. Gotta stock up for that gold nunchuck when it finally comes back in. Can't miss it for the third time.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I'm curious as to whether the game is any good, myself. Haven't heard even one word from anyone about it at all, and it's been out for, what, well over a year now? I've noticed that it's been steadily dropping in price over time, too, so I'm not as worried about grabbing it.

...though more Club Nintendo coins is always nice. Gotta stock up for that gold nunchuck when it finally comes back in. Can't miss it for the third time.[/QUOTE]

I enjoy the game as does my SO. It's very similar to the Culdcept games except there's no deck building. It can get monotonous at times and it can be a bit slow but it's enjoyable.

It is not like Mario Party if you want that kind of game. It is much closer to something like Monopoly although it's more complex (although still easy to figure out).

For what it's worth, I bought this expecting to not get into it, but I love it, and my not-really-into-gaming-but-kinda-sorta-is girlfriend absolutely loves it. Yeah, a better save feature would have been nice, but she does not mind spending hours playing this game with me. And yes, matches will last that long.

$13 is a great price. It's really fun to play with people who love Monopoly as this is very similar. Nice strategies can build, and at times it gets that Mario Party way of creating and destroying alliances. Or flip on some dumb AI to vent at.

Shameless self-promotion, but we recorded ourselves playing it and I'm getting that up in installments. My DVD Recorder got angry so it can't be a technically complete playthrough but it can help give you an idea. EDIT: *snip* Actual gameplay footage starts about four and a half minutes in. Hope you don't mind our mindless babble.

Well, you can just YouTube footage of the game. It should help give you an idea of if you'd want it or not. If you see it going very slowly though, there is an option to up the game speed 2 da maxx.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sabanoo'] It's very similar to the Culdcept games except there's no deck building.
[/QUOTE]

I already wanted to play it for the longest while, but this comment just sold me. Can't wait till I gift it so I can force everyone to play it. :lol:

[quote name='Squarehard']Really want to pick this up, but it's been sitting at this price for some time now, so just hanging on to the hopes it will hit the $10 mark at some point before I pick it up.[/QUOTE]

At least you didn't buy it when it was $50, I thought it would be a niche title and have a small print run. I had some credit and picked it up during a b2g1 free sale, just a kick in the ass considering I still haven't opened it. smh!

I picked up three the last time it was this price for Christmas/birthday gifts. If you get two (one for yourself and one as a gift) they'll qualify for free shipping.

A lot of people have compared it to Monopoly. If you've ever played Monopoly City, it's closer to that. To sum it up, you travel around the board collecting card suits (spade, club, heart, diamond). When you collect one of each (by passing over designated spaces) you return to the start square and collect a pay bonus that gets progressively larger. Along the way you can purchase spaces on the board similar to Monopoly. You can also invest money in the properties you own increasing the amount that other players have to pay you when they land on that spot. Once a player reaches the target amount (think Monopoly Milliionaire), they return to the start place to win the game.

There are a few things that go beyond Monopoly. Owning more than one property in a color group increases the value of each property you own in that group. You may "buy out" properties that other players own (for 5x their current value of which the other player gets 60% of - the rest goes back to the bank). And the twist that truly differentiates this game from Monopoly is the option to purchase stock in the various color groups which rises or falls based on the amount of money that has been invested (via improvements or stocks) in that group. In Monopoly terms, imagine that you purchase stock in the light blue section of the board. Another player lands on Connecticut Avenue and (because you don't need a monopoly in this game to do so) builds two houses there. The value of your stock rises. You also get a dividend from the bank every time someone pays rent there. If that player lands on Vermont later, your stock value rises again. (A key strategy is to make lots of money investing in your own properties that you own stock in.)

The downside is that games are long (about two hours to play) like Monopoly (though they speed up dramatically when players are about 60-70% to the goal) and you cannot save a local multiplayer game to return to later. (I haven't tried but I don't think you can save an online game either.

Bottom line: If you dislike Monopoly, you'll probably want to pass on this game. If you enjoy traditional board games, it's a great find for $13.

I would wait it out for it to be $9.99 again at Fry's Electronics, as they have plenty of stock every time I go in there, and it's doubtful they will sell it out at the current $19.99 price (back up from the last sale price of $14.99, which I don't think even made a dent in their supply).

Also, just to add to Stanley's indepth look, I'll say it really is a great game, though you will definitely need at least one other person, and preferably three others, to get the most out of it. Also these people need to be accustomed to typical Euro / Ameritrash board games, in both time it takes to play the games, and the patience to learn the subtle rules.

One thing I will note as a critical point, the game does not have the typical 1st party polish and charm as seen with other Nintendo titles (though I guess with Squeenix onboard it isn't a full 1st party effort), as the interface and graphics can be a bit rough. Of course this is mostly a moot point, as it's essentially just a board game anyways, but just a heads up.

[quote name='sabanoo']I enjoy the game as does my SO. It's very similar to the Culdcept games except there's no deck building. It can get monotonous at times and it can be a bit slow but it's enjoyable.

It is not like Mario Party if you want that kind of game. It is much closer to something like Monopoly although it's more complex (although still easy to figure out).[/QUOTE]

The minute you said it resembles Culdcept in any way it became an instant purchase for me! ;)

LOVE the game but I can see how it's not for everyone. If you like Monopoly and wish it had more complexity then you will probably like it. It really isn't a difficult game with all the rules in play, just more you have to look out for (for you and your opponents). The fact that you can invest in your opponent's properties is a blast and really opens up some interesting negotiating and acquisition strategies.

bread's done
Back