Mortal Kombat Fight Sticks under $50 at Gamestop

Gamestop.com shows 49.99 for both flavors (360, PS3) for the classic Mortal Kombat Sticks that include Mortal Kombat arcade collection DLC Token. Seem to be local pickup only though, so make sure and use the store locator and call ahead.

I know nothing about fight sticks, would I be better off getting one of these, or Hori, or something else? I would mainly be looking to play Soul Calibur, Virtual Fighter, and any of the free fighting games from Playstation Plus if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

you have to study the layout and compare it to games you are interested in playing. For me it was worth it just for Mortal Kombat and MK VS DC + the classic collection that is included. Injustice: Gods Among Us is coming up later next year also.

[quote name='gravel']I know nothing about fight sticks, would I be better off getting one of these, or Hori, or something else? I would mainly be looking to play Soul Calibur, Virtual Fighter, and any of the free fighting games from Playstation Plus if that makes a difference.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

fTnFL.jpg

I've never played MK, but I assume this is the stick the OP is referring to. If you can look at that ungodly button layout and imagine yourself playing comfortably with it, then by all means, go ahead.

Otherwise, go for one of the Madcatz WWE Brawlsticks (they're reskins of their older SFIV Standard Edition sticks, so anything you see about them apply here). They're dirt cheap, and while the stock parts aren't terribly good, you can easily replace the stock lever and buttons with Sanwa/Seimitsu stuff easily without any soldering. That's what I did, and I've gotten a lot of use out of my stick since.

[quote name='gravel']I know nothing about fight sticks, would I be better off getting one of these, or Hori, or something else? I would mainly be looking to play Soul Calibur, Virtual Fighter, and any of the free fighting games from Playstation Plus if that makes a difference.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Everyone in the fighting game community talks about Sanwa as the best parts for arcade sticks. The Street Fighter tournament line of arcade sticks (the $100+) all have Sanwa parts. I believe the other premium sticks have Sanwa parts as well such as the Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, or BlazBlue arcade sticks. Keep in mind all of these sticks will cost above $100 unless you get a deal or find a deal on them. I have the Dead or Alive 5 stick as well as a couple of the SF tournament sticks and those each costed around $130 or so.

The next step down for arcade sticks are the fight sticks. These sticks are a bit more reasonable in price hovering around $60 or lower but they don't have premium parts from Sanwa or Seimitsu. The WWE stick that someone listed is the same stick as the SF Fight Stick. I've heard some people buy the WWE stick and switch at the parts and switch the art as well. This is probably a bit difficult for someone who doesn't mod, even I haven't bothered doing anything like that (like changing button colors, etc).

If you just want a cheap stick the WWE sticks are reasonable. The MK stick is only good for MK and the button layout wouldn't work well for other fighters like SF, DOA, SoCal, BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, etc. If you want to get that one good stick to use with all your fighting games I would recommend any of the premium sticks because all have the same build quality and parts (Sanwa). Hori is a good brand but just like any other brand they have the premium lineup of sticks and also the more mediocre ones as well. The Mad Catz lineup for the SF tournament sticks are also very good.

Hope this helps!

I second getting a brawlstick over this. Both are ugly but this is cheaper, and easier to mod down the line if you want to add arcade quality parts. This can be used more universally over the mk fightstick which caters to MK games. The stock parts on the brawlsticks are adequate for casual use.

The next step down for arcade sticks are the fight sticks. These sticks are a bit more reasonable in price hovering around $60 or lower but they don't have premium parts from Sanwa or Seimitsu. The WWE stick that someone listed is the same stick as the SF Fight Stick. I've heard some people buy the WWE stick and switch at the parts and switch the art as well. This is probably a bit difficult for someone who doesn't mod, even I haven't bothered doing anything like that (like changing button colors, etc).

Agreed! I did a crappy job with the art (I have no exacto skills and went "screws out"), but I had fun and it works well!

417200_3310703643822_966623862_n.jpg

WWE brawl sticks are like a second revision of the Street Fighter SE sticks and are generally considered better, much like the TVC Wii stick. If you want to start on the cheap definitely get one of those for $30 on Amazon, then consider modding only if you feel the stock parts are holding you back.

Its a really nice stick, I got the one with the TE Bundle, looks loads better than that one above. Though it does really suck for playing most fighting games considering the button layout.

Personally I just ordered a Brawlstick last week, along with a replacement stick and buttons. About to start modding it tonight. Even just holding the Sanwa stick in my hand and moving it around makes me realize it feels 10x better than the stock one.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

With all those games you listed, you're better off getting a stick with a 4x4 button layout (I prefer plugging the last 2 vertical buttons with button plugs). The 2 current popular layouts are the Vewlix (all the bigger manufacturers makes these) & the Namco Noir (Soul Calibur sticks with a slight curve). If money plays a big factor then the WWE Brawlstick would be ideal since they're around $30. However, if you want to start out with the best of the best then get a full size arcade stick with Sanwa (or Seimitsu but harder to find one from the factory with them) components. Lowest I've seen one go for is around $70 but that was a one-time thing on Amazon. They're typically around $90 - $100 on sale. I'd suggest the latter if you plan on playing fighting games often & eventually replacing the stock components with Sanwa/Seimitsu components because by the time you get a WWE Brawlstick ($30) & replace the joystick lever & buttons with Sanwa/Seimitsu components ($50), you're basically at and/or very close to the price of a full size arcade stick with Sanwa's already included but that's just my humble opinion.

[quote name='sainrub']you have to study the layout and compare it to games you are interested in playing. For me it was worth it just for Mortal Kombat and MK VS DC + the classic collection that is included. Injustice: Gods Among Us is coming up later next year also.[/QUOTE]

Yup, pretty much summarized it for me in addition to being an arcade joystick collector & having the nostalgia of playing MK at the local 7-11 during my childhood days.

[quote name='airco']I've never played MK, but I assume this is the stick the OP is referring to. If you can look at that ungodly button layout and imagine yourself playing comfortably with it, then by all means, go ahead.

Otherwise, go for one of the Madcatz WWE Brawlsticks (they're reskins of their older SFIV Standard Edition sticks, so anything you see about them apply here). They're dirt cheap, and while the stock parts aren't terribly good, you can easily replace the stock lever and buttons with Sanwa/Seimitsu stuff easily without any soldering. That's what I did, and I've gotten a lot of use out of my stick since.[/QUOTE]

The MK layout is very comfy if you've played it often at the arcades back in the day though I don't recommend it for playing Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Blazblue, etc.

Actually, the WWE Brawlstick (& the Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii stick) are nothing like the 1st gen. SF4 SE sticks besides using the same arcade case/shell. The WWE Brawlstick has a more reliable PCB & joystick/buttons are greatly improved over the parts in the original SE stick. Madcatz replicated Sanwa parts & for the most part they've succeeded with the major difference being the springs used. There's a thread on SRK showing this. My only prob with these parts is that there's no consistency to them (I've purchased 7+ WWE Brawlsticks & TvC sticks). Some would have a nice & tight joystick lever while others would have a very loose spring (thus causing you to have a bigger deadzone). The same goes for the buttons. They're good to start off even if you get a stick that's loose.

[quote name='oasisboy']For those like me who can't build these things, just get a street fighter stick from mad catz.

This is what you need. It will last you forever and it works great with all fighters.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874104233[/QUOTE]

Not a big fan of this lineup since the consistency of quality control isn't up to the usual great quality of Madcatz full size arcade models. Still a good deal if you can find one for less than $100.

[quote name='Psybuster']WWE brawl sticks are like a second revision of the Street Fighter SE sticks and are generally considered better, much like the TVC Wii stick. If you want to start on the cheap definitely get one of those for $30 on Amazon, then consider modding only if you feel the stock parts are holding you back.[/QUOTE]

This!

[quote name='dgwillia006']Its a really nice stick, I got the one with the TE Bundle, looks loads better than that one above. Though it does really suck for playing most fighting games considering the button layout.

Personally I just ordered a Brawlstick last week, along with a replacement stick and buttons. About to start modding it tonight. Even just holding the Sanwa stick in my hand and moving it around makes me realize it feels 10x better than the stock one.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Tournament Edition in the orignal MK bundle looks much better & has an internal storage compartment in addition to the internal plexiglass covering the bottom of the top panel. However, these Klassic sticks have the preferred cherry microswitches compared to the e-switches the original has. Not to mention it includes the MK Klassic Kollection that's $10 - $15 online.

Regardless, they're both great sticks especially for the price! FWIW, if you were to get a custom builder to make you something similar to this then it'd typically cost $140 - $150 so I highly recommend this stick to anyone that plays MK, MK Klassic Kolletcion, MKvsDCU or the new Injustice game coming out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JMClarkent']Agreed! I did a crappy job with the art (I have no exacto skills and went "screws out"), but I had fun and it works well!

417200_3310703643822_966623862_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Lol is that a pulp fiction picture with a bible scripture? I don't think those things go together

Just opened up mine, replacing the buttons/stick looks easy as hell, putting on my damn artwork seems to be the hard part.

Not sure whether to pre-cut and try to apply, or unscrew everything then try to cut it out more precisely

How my Brawlstick came out just incase anyone is interested in trying to mod one themselves. Barely took 3 hours (Most of that involved scraping off sticker goo). Total cost for me was about 80$ (Got Silent Sanwa Buttons and a regular Sanwa Stick).

Either way, this MK stick is really nice (Whether for collection purpose, or actual use)

20481_310135219088213_1962830283_n.jpg

[quote name='kipz']Just a heads up. The 360 version easily works on PC and you can get the MK collection (MK 1,2,3) for $2.[/QUOTE]

Hi guys. I'm new to the world of fight sticks, bought the WWE brawl stick, like it, but after brief use button wear has already made gaming difficult. I will get need to mod it soon, will try to find directions somewhere, but I've been wanting to use it w my new dell computer, and its not recognized. I downloaded driver update but even mad catz says CPU may not recognize it. Is this diff from the mk stick? Any help would be great thx.

bread's done
Back