Nintendo Wii U Console Basic Set and Free Nintendo Land Game

[quote name='vlv723']Trollers gonna troll[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, a troll attacks someone On the message board that can read it and get upset. He's stating an opinion about a company and its product. If you think of this as an attack against you then I don't know what to say.

Personally I thought the flop was confirmed weeks ago.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't think so, a troll attacks someone On the message board that can read it and get upset. He's stating an opinion about a company and its product. If you think of this as an attack against you then I don't know what to say.

Personally I thought the flop was confirmed weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

When they announced it sold 300-400k? A troll is anyone who makes a comment contrary to facts for the sole purpose of getting people riled up.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't think so, a troll attacks someone On the message board that can read it and get upset. He's stating an opinion about a company and its product. If you think of this as an attack against you then I don't know what to say.

Personally I thought the flop was confirmed weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

You're mistaken.

A troll comments is when you say something with the express goal to piss someone off. These can range from ignoring facts to making baseless arguments people feel the need to defend. Either or, it's too early to call the Wii U a success or failure and I hardly think a retailer promotion is writing on the wall...

[quote name='radioactivez0r']When they announced it sold 300-400k? A troll is anyone who makes a comment contrary to facts for the sole purpose of getting people riled up.[/QUOTE]

Waiting for number of units returned from flippers who couldn't sell them for profit. Not seeing anything that makes me want to own a WiiU.

Oh man what a killer deal. Had I known something like this would pop up so soon I would have waited. I would have preferred white, but wanted Nintendoland, so the deluxe was a better deal at launch.

wiiu in stock = flop
wiiu out of stock = evil nintendo holding back stock

trolls love these nintendo threads. It's like free cheese day at the distribution center.

i imagine theres incentive for retailers to move the basic units. that sku doesnt make a lot of sense and a pack-in should help.

I regret my Wii U deluxe purchase very much... No achievements/trophies support taken 50% of the fun. Of course, this is JUST MY OPINION, please don't take this personally. The only game I'm playing is Mario Wii U and even that, I just play from point A to B, rushing to get to the final flag point. Those big coins? I only get them if it's in plain sight or easy access... Hidden paths? If I see them I'll get to them... For some strange reasons, PS3/Xbox's trophy/achievement system really conditioned the way I game. It just seems to be more fun with some kind of universal gaming status tracking system...

You think they will give me the game for free if I bought the console on release day? For Silver Premium Member of course.

Tempted to pick this up after all of the Christmas money/gift cards I got. Going to remain strong and wait till Monster Hunter comes out and see what steam the Wii U has picked up by then.

[quote name='Serpentor']I regret my Wii U deluxe purchase very much... No achievements/trophies support taken 50% of the fun. Of course, this is JUST MY OPINION, please don't take this personally. The only game I'm playing is Mario Wii U and even that, I just play from point A to B, rushing to get to the final flag point. Those big coins? I only get them if it's in plain sight or easy access... Hidden paths? If I see them I'll get to them... For some strange reasons, PS3/Xbox's trophy/achievement system really conditioned the way I game. It just seems to be more fun with some kind of universal gaming status tracking system...[/QUOTE]

To me the Wii U system is actually in a way better than a trophy/achievement system with the activity log. The activity log shows how long you've actually spend playing the game and at what time and date. Not only this but you can snap screenshots of whatever you achieve and post it to Miiverse community for all to see and as a record for yourself to look back on. Drawing on the gamepad is awesome too. While I agree it would be nice if nintendo offered some sort of achievement system I think what I mentioned more than offsets what we are missing.

I agree with everyone else here, too early to call it a flop.

I seem to recall the PS3 had a very limited group of launch titles and no trophy support when it launched. As a result everyone was saying it was a flop. Look at where it is at now. I really do hope that Nintendo has some sort of Achievement/Trophy system in the works.

I personally love my Wii U so far (Haven't touched my PS3 or 360 since getting it). Been playing the hell out of Scribblenauts Unlimited and New Super Mario Bro Wii U, and just cracked open ZombiU last night. After a little adjusting to using the touchscreen with the game I'm really digging it so far (in contrary to reviews... especially the complaints about using the Cricket Bat excessively.. I like the realism part of having to take multiple swings... no everyone has Barry Bonds strength to knock heads off in one shot....). Nintendoland is fun if you have groups of people over and really helps demonstrate the capabilities of the Wii U (though I agree that it should have been included with all versions of the console). The TV functionality with the guide on your touchscreen controler and whatnot is also pretty cool too.

[quote name='Serpentor']I regret my Wii U deluxe purchase very much... No achievements/trophies support taken 50% of the fun. Of course, this is JUST MY OPINION, please don't take this personally. The only game I'm playing is Mario Wii U and even that, I just play from point A to B, rushing to get to the final flag point. Those big coins? I only get them if it's in plain sight or easy access... Hidden paths? If I see them I'll get to them... For some strange reasons, PS3/Xbox's trophy/achievement system really conditioned the way I game. It just seems to be more fun with some kind of universal gaming status tracking system...[/QUOTE]

You really need to try to get back to basics and just enjoy the damn videogames without some "status tracking" system telling you so.

[quote name='jessesixto']You think they will give me the game for free if I bought the console on release day? For Silver Premium Member of course.[/QUOTE]

"Premier Silver members enjoy a 60-day return, exchange and price match policy and 180 days to use reward certificates."

You're within your 60 days if you bought it at launch, so shit, I'd say it's worth a shot.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']When they announced it sold 300-400k? A troll is anyone who makes a comment contrary to facts for the sole purpose of getting people riled up.[/QUOTE]
The Wii U failed to meet the sales numbers of the Wii even though the Wii was sold out everywhere and there's plenty of Wii U's around.

Nintendo fell on it's face with the Wii U. There's no carry over at all from the Wii to the Wii U as far as users and a good chunk of Nintendo's core demographic (casuals/children) don't even know that the Wii U is a new console, they think it's just a way to control the existing Wii.

The Wii U is a train wreck out of the gate

Yeah, my son really wanted one for Christmas, but I just coudln't justify the price along with the lack of quality games that we coudn't already play cheaper elsewhere. I'm gonna hold out for a price drop, which I'm sure will happen at some point in 2013. This is a cool deal though, and I agree that this should have been included from the start.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The Wii U failed to meet the sales numbers of the Wii even though the Wii was sold out everywhere and there's plenty of Wii U's around.

Nintendo fell on it's face with the Wii U. There's no carry over at all from the Wii to the Wii U as far as users and a good chunk of Nintendo's core demographic (casuals/children) don't even know that the Wii U is a new console, they think it's just a way to control the existing Wii.

The Wii U is a train wreck out of the gate[/QUOTE]

Uh...the system's barely been out over a month.

[quote name='maximumzero']Uh...the system's barely been out over a month.[/QUOTE]
Yes, and it's launch was a failure.

The Wii at this time was a sensation around the world.

I own and to a degree enjoy my Wii U. Here's a mini-review for anyone considering one. My opinions.

The gamepad: It feels great, it works very well, it's fun with Zombi U, I'm just not sure when else I'll use it except for the game or two a year that really develops for it. I knew from the beginning it was going to be a haven for tack-on controls or use just like the Wii-Mote was. If there's no proven return on an investment, third-parties for the most part are not going to develop much for it.

The games: Everyone's taste is different, but Nintendo will over the course of this system's lifespan put out some good first-party games. We'll see Samus, Link, Donkey Kong, 3D Mario and others in HD. I'm already excited for Lego City, Rayman Legends, Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 (is this out yet?). Zombi U is a LOT of fun. I love it. I also own NSBMU, which is good, Darksiders 2, which makes decent use of the gamepad, and Nintendo Land, which I haven't opened.

The system's extras: TVii is pretty worthless and slow, imo. That's a let down. MiiVerse is cool and integrates very well. If you have kids that use the TV a lot, having the option to play on the gamepad alone is fantastic.

I will say I would not have bought the system if I didn't have over $1,000 in Gamestop credit. I would not have shelled out cash on it with NextBox right around the corner. But as it stands, I like playing Nintendo's games, and this is the current system on which to do it.

P.S. - Remember long ago when there were no achievements or trophies and people played games because they were fun to play? Oh yeah, every other generation except the current one.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Yes, and it's launch was a failure.

The Wii at this time was a sensation around the world.[/QUOTE]

So because a game system doesn't set the world on fire it's a "failure"?

Guess that means every other console in existence not named the Wii was a failure.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The Wii U failed to meet the sales numbers of the Wii even though the Wii was sold out everywhere and there's plenty of Wii U's around.

I've stated this before. My wife thinks the Wii U is a bad idea and told me that "the tablet makes me not want it" because the kids will fight over the ONE cool controller while everyone else gets WiiMotes. I figure I'll pick it up when it's cheap but only because it plays Wii games as there's nothing for it that I want now and hopefully by the time it's cheap there will be some kind of Nerf padding for the gamepad like you can buy for DS's.

I wonder how many people that have multiple kids are buying this and I wonder what happens when Jimmy breaks the thing while clambering to get it from Sally because she won't give him his turn?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Yes, and it's launch was a failure.

The Wii at this time was a sensation around the world.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, what's the difference? Do you really think Nintendo is going to throw their hands up and stop support on the system? It'll have plenty of fun games and exclusives over the next 2 years to start. Even if third-party lags. Most hardcore gamers know by now not to buy a Nintendo as their only system.

I own all 3 HD systems and will be getting a NextBox, so I'm not a fanboy of any system.

I got the WiiU for my kids this christmas and it was a GREAT purchase. I absolutely love the tablet controller and the promise of what can be done with it. NintendoLand is a great minigame collection and Mario while more of the same is still a blast. Only two games I have played though.

And Blasterman, there already is a nerf padding for the tablet. I bought it for my kids. We got the nerf case for the 3ds systems and they worked well against drops.

[quote name='Blaster man']

I wonder how many people that have multiple kids are buying this and I wonder what happens when Jimmy breaks the thing while clambering to get it from Sally because she won't give him his turn?[/QUOTE]

It's gonna suck for them.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']It's gonna suck for them.[/QUOTE]

I have two boys that fight over everything. They haven't once (yet) fought over the controller. I honestly think they like the normal Wii controller better at this point. Familiarity I think.

I love my Wii u. No regrets here.

As for Nintendo land ... Its Its not fun , especially solo.
I traded mine a couple days after my deluxe purchase. Zombi u is fantastic as is Mario. Rayman legends will be mind-blowing. Loved the demo.

[quote name='Blaster man']
I wonder how many people that have multiple kids are buying this and I wonder what happens when Jimmy breaks the thing while clambering to get it from Sally because she won't give him his turn?[/QUOTE]

In regards to this it comes down to parenting, something that apparently a lot of parents are allergic to. Teach kids how to share and take turns. My kids haven't fought once over it. And in regards to breaking it, I've already told my 4 year old and 6 year old that need to be careful with it or ELSE. In my house, the ELSE portion comes with pretty daunting repercussions (and no physical abuse.. loss of privileges and etc...)

[quote name='maximumzero']So because a game system doesn't set the world on fire it's a "failure"?

Guess that means every other console in existence not named the Wii was a failure.[/QUOTE]
Get a better argument

Everyone who has a Wii doesn't even know Nintendo HAS a new console, that's how badly Nintendo has failed with the Wii U launch.

Also the 360 was sold out on launch, the PS3 was sold out on launch, not too sure why you think it only happened with the Wii.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']In regards to this it comes down to parenting, something that apparently a lot of parents are allergic to. Teach kids how to share and take turns. My kids haven't fought once over it. And in regards to breaking it, I've already told my 4 year old and 6 year old that need to be careful with it or ELSE. In my house, the ELSE portion comes with pretty daunting repercussions (and no physical abuse.. loss of privileges and etc...)[/QUOTE]
What? LOL
So kids fighting is bad parenting? Sibling rivalry's have been around since long before any of us were alive. That's about as stupid as me saying that your kids have aspergers because you don't see them fighting 24/7.

[quote name='maximumzero']Uh...the system's barely been out over a month.[/QUOTE]

And they're already throwing in a free game to entice buyers.

[quote name='CHEAP ASS DUDE']Throwing in a free game with the purchase of a console does not indicate a system flop. Trolls be trollin'[/QUOTE]

I agree, but you at least have to admit that it isn't a good sign this soon after launch. I know we're in a recession and whatnot, but people are out there spending money - look at the lines for things like the iPhone 5. When the Xbox 360 came out in November of 05, I wasn't able to find one until the Monday after the Superbowl, which was February 06, and even then, there was only the one on the shelf and demand stayed strong for a few months after that. Even the PS3, which by all accounts had a bad launch, stayed sold out longer and had shipped a million units to the US by January 07.

I've seen Wii Us in several different stores and lots of people were able to randomly walk right into the store and snag one on launch day. I'm not saying they waited in line... I'm saying they went into the middle of the store on launch day and bought one. You couldn't do that with the PS2, the original Xbox, the Wii, or the PS3, outside of maybe isolated cases, but the number of people who were able to do that on Wii U's launch day was more than what would be considered an isolated incident.

Now, I'm not saying the Wii U is a flop or failure as far as consoles go. It's way too early to say that even if I wanted to. The 3DS had a lackluster launch and look at it now. What I am saying is that these things are early indicators that the Wii U will "flop" comparatively speaking in terms of the success of its predecessor. Right now signs are pointing to Nintendo hopping right back in third place where they belong.

[quote name='cheaphuck']And they're already throwing in a free game to entice buyers.[/QUOTE]

Nothing special for the deluxe though. I think everyone knows that stores are having a tough time moving the basic.

Couldn't agree more. If Nintendo just focused on solidly designed hardware, instead of forcing gimmicks to try to attract customers, and if they fixed their lousy digital ownership policies, I'd buy their systems even if just for VC games. As it is, the gamepad sapped huge resources away from the console itself; add up the costs of components, and that becomes very obvious.

They did great with Wii hardware sales due to the novelty and fads (but not with software), but this approach just isn't working anymore. The 3DS is a bust, and now the Wii U looks to be following the same path. Personally I think the gamepad is very distracting from actual gameplay; having to shift your view back and forth between pad and TV is just annoying.

System is not a flop, regardless of what people want to think, a flop is a system like the Virtual boy, the neo geo pocket color or the game.com. This system already has more games than those systems combined. Lack of achievements is a problem for me too, even if they are pointless points, I want to have something to show for all my hours of play. Especially when I can buy the games cheaper on another system, and the system costs less from the beginning as well, and has more storage plus I can get achievements too. The xbox also connects to raptr for hours tracking and achievement tracking overall. I wouldn't buy it but its not a flop. This system has other problems than that, such as no universal account system and the fact that once you transfer your stuff over to the Wii U its stuck there and if your system breaks its goodbye.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Get a better argument

Everyone who has a Wii doesn't even know Nintendo HAS a new console, that's how badly Nintendo has failed with the Wii U launch.

Also the 360 was sold out on launch, the PS3 was sold out on launch, not too sure why you think it only happened with the Wii.[/QUOTE]

The 360 was sold out at launch due to hardware shortages, and the PS3 was definitely not sold out at launch, I dunno where you're getting that from.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Couldn't agree more. If Nintendo just focused on solidly designed hardware, instead of forcing gimmicks to try to attract customers, and if they fixed their lousy digital ownership policies, I'd buy their systems even if just for VC games. As it is, the gamepad sapped huge resources away from the console itself; add up the costs of components, and that becomes very obvious.

They did great with Wii hardware sales due to the novelty and fads (but not with software), but this approach just isn't working anymore. The 3DS is a bust, and now the Wii U looks to be following the same path. Personally I think the gamepad is very distracting from actual gameplay; having to shift your view back and forth between pad and TV is just annoying.[/QUOTE]

LOL WUT? :roll:

[quote name='chimpmeister']Couldn't agree more. If Nintendo just focused on solidly designed hardware, instead of forcing gimmicks to try to attract customers, and if they fixed their lousy digital ownership policies, I'd buy their systems even if just for VC games. As it is, the gamepad sapped huge resources away from the console itself; add up the costs of components, and that becomes very obvious.

They did great with Wii hardware sales due to the novelty and fads (but not with software), but this approach just isn't working anymore. The 3DS is a bust, and now the Wii U looks to be following the same path. Personally I think the gamepad is very distracting from actual gameplay; having to shift your view back and forth between pad and TV is just annoying.[/QUOTE]

Well, here's the post calling the Wii a fad and claiming the 3DS a bust, time to wrap up this thread, we're done here. :roll:

**** bestbuys extended holiday pricematching doesnt apply to ppl who bought on launch, skips november 18th to 26th

[quote name='Hemi']**** bestbuys extended holiday pricematching doesnt apply to ppl who bought on launch, skips november 18th to 26th[/QUOTE]

But the return policy for Premier Silver members is 60 days.

Unfortunately, I do not think that the price match guarantee applies to a bundling deal. I wish it did, but I think went this route in order to avoid people from price matching. Of course, someone can give it a shot, but YMMV on this one. Would've been nice to get the extra game and trade it in for $30 credit or whatever.

[quote name='maximumzero']The 360 was sold out at launch due to hardware shortages, and the PS3 was definitely not sold out at launch, I dunno where you're getting that from.[/QUOTE]

The ps3 was sold out for a couple of weeks. After that there was plenty of inventory.

[quote name='Marauder7']Waiting for number of units returned from flippers who couldn't sell them for profit. Not seeing anything that makes me want to own a WiiU.[/QUOTE]

After the whole Wii fiasco I bought 4 of these as a “just in case" scenario so I'm sure I've contributed to their sales numbers. One was gifted (will probably be returned) and the other 3 are definitely going back including the one I set aside for myself.

Aside from the Mario Bros game I don't see anything worth playing that I can't play on our Xbox/PS3. As for the regular Wii it was finally used this past weekend for the first time in months.

bread's done
Back