Printing A book

Sephiroth1089

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I wanted to get someone a copy of the Xenogears Perfect Works translated into English but have it in a book format. However I don't know what the copyright rules are for something like this since it is a fan translation. I also don't know of any reliable companies that will just print the book, I don't need to publish it or sell it. I just want maybe a total of three copies, one for me, one for a friend and one for my brother. Anyone have any advice on something like this?

That isn't legal for selling, but if it is for personal use, & all of you guys have an original copy (untranslated version), then it should be fine. At least that's how I think it is. I don't see why you would need to get it in print though; why not keep it as a PDF? I like the feel of paper too, but it seems like you'd be going through a lot of trouble just to get this job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='delsus09']That isn't legal for selling, but if it is for personal use, & all of you guys have an original copy (untranslated version), then it should be fine. At least that's how I think it is. I don't see why you would need to get it in print though; why not keep it as a PDF? I like the feel of paper too, but it seems like you'd be going through a lot of trouble just to get this job done.[/QUOTE]

Wherever he had printing it *would* be breaking the law by printing copyrighted material/characters owned by someone else/etc. and profiting from it. He might be personally allowed to do something, I'm not sure the laws there, but no company will do it. Only way you can swing something like that is by being friends with staff somewhere.

It would probably be costly but you might be able to get it printed in a photo book from cvs, walgreens, or online(snapfish, shutterfly, etc.)

[quote name='bossman']It would probably be costly but you might be able to get it printed in a photo book from cvs, walgreens, or online(snapfish, shutterfly, etc.)[/QUOTE]

If any human sees what it is, they'll cancel the order. Again, the copyrights and such on the characters all else will do it. You have to get lucky and have it go through unchecked for it to get printed.

[quote name='georox']If any human sees what it is, they'll cancel the order. Again, the copyrights and such on the characters all else will do it. You have to get lucky and have it go through unchecked for it to get printed.[/QUOTE]

Most reputable printing companies are told to watch out for this type of stuff as well. You won't get in any trouble, but they won't print it for you either.

I feel your pain though OP. I only have a handful of artbooks but the Xenosaga Perfect Works is arguably the best artbook I've seen. Great artwork and in depth look at the game and other proposed games in the series which will never be made.:whistle2:( I would love to have a physical release of the translated version myself, but the only way that would happen is if you made it yourself.

bread's done
Back