Double PUR Points on entire purchase using GC on Pre-Owned Item(s)

klimb22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
All the T&Cs below. Sounds like it has to be a GC, not PUR/Edge.

Tip 1: If you know you're going to buy something from GS and are using cash, credit or have store credit on your PUR/Edge card*, buy a GC first.
*Not recommended if you live in a state that does not charge tax on purchases using trade credit. Thank outcast529

Tip 2. If you're not buying a pre-owned item pick up a $0.49 Link's Crossbow Training or other cheapy game/product to get the bonus points.

Score Double PowerUP Rewards Points** on your entire GameStop Gift Card purchase when you buy any PreOwned item.

Note: You must bring in the physical gift card to spend it. PowerUp card must be swiped during transaction to receive points.

**Double PowerUp Rewards Points: Double points offer valid on any transactions made Wednesday, December 26, 2012, through Monday, January 28, 2013 with a GameStop gift card. Transaction must include a pre-owned item. Purchases of GameStop Gift Cards do not qualify for PowerUp Rewards points or bonus points, but purchases made using GameStop Gift Cards do qualify for PowerUp Rewards points and bonus points under program and offer guidelines. Click here for full program terms and conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='joeyshadows']Dammit. I just spent 50 bucks on preowned games with my powerup card. :([/QUOTE]

if it's within 7 days, just return and rebuy.

[quote name='bob330i']if it's within 7 days, just return and rebuy.[/QUOTE]

Already traded everything in. Lol. If I can use just a receipt I would.

wait... do you only get 2x points on gc credit only toward the pre owned item? If so, Tip 2 is useless. Don't you get 2x points for every dollar spent on a preowned anyway? i'm betting they don't stack.

[quote name='Snuggelz'] Don't you get 2x points for every dollar spent on a preowned anyway? i'm betting they don't stack.[/QUOTE]

It's not necessarily considered a promotion "stack" because Gamestop's Standard point values are as such:

10 points per dollar spent on all new games and consoles
20 points per dollar spent on pre-owned games, accessories and consoles
20 points per dollar on traded-in games or consoles

When it's double points (on preowned w/ gc purchase) it will be as such:

40 points per dollar spent on pre-owned games

[quote name='GBAstar']I like my PUR Pro card so all my credit is on a "Trade Credit" Card; do those count as gift cards?[/QUOTE]

No - these register as a different payment type. In theory you could purchase a gift card then purchase your games with 2x points. Not sure if they are tracking the time frame in which the GC was purchased.

Saw this email.

Between the phone call trying to get you to spend your credit and telling you how much you have, the email telling you how much you have, and this............:whee:

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Saw this email.

Between the phone call trying to get you to spend your credit and telling you how much you have, the email telling you how much you have, and this............:whee:[/QUOTE]

I know, what's up with that? I really don't understand why they want you to spend the credit so bad. I mean, they already have the crap you traded in, so what are they getting out of you using the credit? Or am I'm missing something?

[quote name='klimb22']All the T&Cs below. Sounds like it has to be a GC, not PUR/Edge.

Tip 1: If you have credit on your PUR/Edge card and you know you're going to buy something from GS, buy a GC with your PUR/Edge credit first. [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend this if you live in a state that doesn't tax the trade in credit purchases.

If I was to do this my double points would essentially cost me almost 9% more.

[quote name='joeyshadows']Already traded everything in. Lol. If I can use just a receipt I would.[/QUOTE]
You can use just the receipt. I do it all the time. YMMV with your store(s) of course.
[quote name='Snuggelz']wait... do you only get 2x points on gc credit only toward the pre owned item? If so, Tip 2 is useless. Don't you get 2x points for every dollar spent on a preowned anyway? i'm betting they don't stack.[/QUOTE]
No. You get 2x points on the entire purchase as long as one item is a pre-owned item.
[quote name='outcast529']I wouldn't recommend this if you live in a state that doesn't tax the trade in credit purchases.

If I was to do this my double points would essentially cost me almost 9% more.[/QUOTE]
True. I don't live in one of those states so I didn't think about that. OP updated.

A store went so far as to calling my friend and reminding him to use his gift card/trade-in credit card. I am very confused on why they are pushing this. Wouldn't stores want the people to wait to use the card in hopes that person loses it?

Well. I have $95 buck worth of gift cards burning a hole through my pocket after Christmas. I'm not going in GS till after Monday at the earliest. Place is madhouse the days after Christmas.

[quote name='Vap']I know, what's up with that? I really don't understand why they want you to spend the credit so bad. I mean, they already have the crap you traded in, so what are they getting out of you using the credit? Or am I'm missing something?[/QUOTE]

They want you back in the store to buy/trade in more games. Forever.

In general, credit is untapped revenue for GS. Even though they have your game/accessory, it's not guarantee that it gets sold to realize the "purchase" of that item. Also getting you to spend that credit now makes their year look better. Just consider it another marketing "ad".

[quote name='outcast529']I wouldn't recommend this if you live in a state that doesn't tax the trade in credit purchases.

If I was to do this my double points would essentially cost me almost 9% more.[/QUOTE]

OP should add the second sentence to the warning, had me wondering what rule I would be breaking versus just spending a little extra on tax. If you need more PUR points then $2-3 dollars in tax is negligible.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']OP should add the second sentence to the warning, had me wondering what rule I would be breaking versus just spending a little extra on tax. If you need more PUR points then $2-3 dollars in tax is negligible.[/QUOTE]

Good point about making it clear why the recommendation was made. But I honestly don't think most CAGs would agree about paying extra for the points.

For example a $40 pre-owned game at 6% tax would cost an extra $2.40 and would only net you 800 extra points (or $0.30 per 100 points).

Compared that to the reward offer of $5.00 off a pre-owned game for 4,000 points ($0.125 per 100 points).

Honestly that's probably not the best reward to pick, but it is the easiest to compare to a cash value.

did anyone purchase anything and recieve 2x points?
I purchase a few items and dnt get 2x points... Now Im confused(???)

[quote name='k1ngster']did anyone purchase anything and recieve 2x points?
I purchase a few items and dnt get 2x points... Now Im confused(???)[/QUOTE]

I haven't received double points on my transactions... Maybe it takes time to process?

I finally received my double points (almost 8,000) after emailing them twice. First time they told me to wait 7 days after the end of the promotion (1/28) for the points to post. After that didn't happen I emailed them again on 2/4 with my transaction #s and dates. HTH.

bread's done
Back