Sound bars??

If you don't want to spend too much $$$ I would go with Vizio brand. You can pick one up at Costco. They cost about 1/3 less then the ones you find off BB. I got one for my father and he loves it. Since, I have 5.1 surround sound home theater system which comes with a sound bar. Do some research before you buy.

I have the Samsung HW-450 and love it. It's a great alternative in between TV speakers and true surround sound, especially if you're tight on space. Any reliable sound bar and sub combo is definitely worth the money.

Stay away from the Coby, I had a miserable experience with it. I had a review up on BBY but they took it down because I posted it at Amazon as well, you can read it here but it's lengthy.

As much as I love Samsung, stay away from the HT-WS1. While it sounds fairly nice for only a 2.1, and the subwoofer is wireless, it's a troublesome thing.

I have one and it took alot to get the wireless speaker buzz minimized. I literally had to take it apart and shield the wires, and even still, I the buzz happens from time to time, although it's barely audible at all now.

If I didn't get it for $50 (for the bar and subwoofer) at Goodwill, I wouldn't have bothered trying to fix it.

[quote name='jman2avatar']Does anyone have any opinions on the Samsung HW-450?[/QUOTE]

I think that's the same one we sell at work. It's pretty much amazing.

It sounds good and I like being able to move the subwoofer around. Bluetooth, and USB is pretty boss also.

[quote name='sp00ge']As much as I love Samsung, stay away from the HT-WS1. While it sounds fairly nice for only a 2.1, and the subwoofer is wireless, it's a troublesome thing.

I have one and it took alot to get the wireless speaker buzz minimized. I literally had to take it apart and shield the wires, and even still, I the buzz happens from time to time, although it's barely audible at all now.

If I didn't get it for $50 (for the bar and subwoofer) at Goodwill, I wouldn't have bothered trying to fix it.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit! That sound bar retailed for over $300. Where was that Goodwill? 90210?

Anyway, I have not heard good things about Samsung sound bars. A lot of complaints on sound quality for the money. I have been thinking about getting this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+2.1-Channel+Soundbar+with+Wireless+Subwoofer/6694048.p?id=1218782859725&skuId=6694048&st=sony sound bar&cp=1&lp=1

The link may not work...in a hurry.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Holy shit! That sound bar retailed for over $300. Where was that Goodwill? 90210? [/QUOTE]

Outside Pittsburgh. It was a donated item, packed in a box for an LG soundbar. I'm guessing it was donated due the speaker buzz problem, which seems to be a common problem for that model.

Any particular reason you're going the soundbar route vs. a dedicated surround system? (e.g., $, space, etc.)

What is your budget?

Your priority of use between gaming, home theater and music?

Are you looking for any particular # of inputs/outputs (HDMI) or features, ala Airplay or DLNA?

Can help better knowing some deets, otherwise I'd certainly steer you away from a soundbar to at least a 5.1 system.

i'm semi interested in this as well. I live an apartment and don't want to annoy my neighbors with a 7.1 system.

ideally i'd like a wired sub with virtual 5.1/7.1, the more inputs the better (HDMI or spdif)
also bluetooth would be awesome.

Personally, I much prefer a dedicated surround sound setup. That being said, I did purchase a Vizio sound bar from Wally World for my parents. I bought them this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-32-Sound-Bar-Speaker-VSB207/20594160

They've had it for roughly a year now. It was meant to be used a temporary solution until I could piece them together a true surround sound system. They're still using it though, and I must say it doesn't sound terrible. It's not going to outperform an actual system, but for $80 its not bad.

If you're just looking for something to replace your fading TV speakers, I'd say go for it. If you're looking for something to setup a home theater, save some cash and by an actual 5.1/7.1 system.

I'm looking for one of these too. I can't get an actual surround sound system because it would be for my bedroom, and due to the way it's setup I don't have anywhere to put all the speakers. I'd prefer not to spend more than ~$250

I was looking at the Sony HT-CT150 and it looks good but I don't like how massive the sub is. I don't have a lot of space for it. I see a couple of systems like the Yamaha YAS-101 have a built in subwoofer. Do the built in subs do a good enough job?

And do I need a system with HDMI inputs if I plan to watch movies and use Xbox and PS3 as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yamaha ats1010 that we sell at my work with the built in woofer is amazing. It does the job plenty.

bread's done
Back