Got a USED PS3 - do I need to do anything to it to get started?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
So my dad finally got a "smart" blu-ray player and is ditching his PS3. He was going to toss it so it's mine now - I want to swap out my 80GB(?) FAT PS3 with his 250GB slim. Do I need to do anything other than hook it up and log in? How do I DL everything that is on my existing PS3 to the new one? Do I just go in the PS Store and look up previous purchases or something? I see there is a System Restore which will put it back to factory settings - should I just do that? I just want to be sure I don't screw anything up.

Thanks.

[quote name='camoor']The microchips need to be warmed up to function properly, if you put in it in the microwave for a minute on high that should do the trick.[/QUOTE]

Is it supposed to spark like that? I had it in there for a couple of seconds but then got a little nervous.

[quote name='Javery']Is it supposed to spark like that? I had it in there for a couple of seconds but then got a little nervous.[/QUOTE]

He forgot to tell you to douse it in yellow mustard! Now it will be ruined!

[quote name='Stoneage']He forgot to tell you to douse it in yellow mustard! Now it will be ruined![/QUOTE]

Nah just fry it for ten minutes an it'll work just as well. It'll be fine!

Step 1: Deactive you're old ps3 (that's if you're not going to use it anymore for gaming purposes).
Step 2: Log into your new ps3 with "existing account".
Step 3:????
Step 4: Profit!

Damn. No wonder Sony is sinking like a stone. NO video signal because it used to be connected via HDMI but all I have at home is component. I had to Google my way out of that mess. I'm resetting the display and it seems to be working now but I still can't figure out how to delete my dad as the user and then log in myself. I need to mess around more.

[quote name='Javery']Damn. No wonder Sony is sinking like a stone. NO video signal because it used to be connected via HDMI but all I have at home is component. I had to Google my way out of that mess. I'm resetting the display and it seems to be working now but I still can't figure out how to delete my dad as the user and then log in myself. I need to mess around more.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to format it or do a factory reset in settings.

[quote name='Javery']Damn. No wonder Sony is sinking like a stone. NO video signal because it used to be connected via HDMI but all I have at home is component. I had to Google my way out of that mess. I'm resetting the display and it seems to be working now but I still can't figure out how to delete my dad as the user and then log in myself. I need to mess around more.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to delete your dads PSN, just sign in with it and got to "create user" then choose "use existing account" and sign in with your PSN.

OK, I got it up and running. Stupid question - are game saves stored locally or in the cloud attached to my username? I didn't transfer any of the save files on my old PS3 to a USB stick to put back on the new one.

If you have Playstation Plus, and enabled cloud saves, they'll be stored both locally and on the cloud. Otherwise, just locally.

[quote name='elessar123']If you have Playstation Plus, and enabled cloud saves, they'll be stored both locally and on the cloud. Otherwise, just locally.[/QUOTE]

Crapola. Sounds like I have to hook up my old PS3 again, log in and transfer the game saves to a USB stick.

Thanks for the info.

Just an FYI you could have transfered all your info from the old PS3 to the new by connecting them through ethernet and going to the PS3 transfer utililty in system settings.

bread's done
Back