Playstation 3 Slim 160GB $229 at Best Buy (Online/B&M)

even thought i already have a ps3, i am interested to see if the price will go lower than this, especially with the rumor of the ps4

[quote name='TooPoor']Not bad for those who missed the BF bundle, which I'm surprised if you did given its availability back then[/QUOTE]

BF bundle wasn't a Slim.

I bought one in store yesterday, they ring up at $229. I was thinking about getting a superslim, but I got around to using one. Didn't like the sliding door, or the build quality of it.

Week before Christmas I went into a BB and saw STACKS of these on the floor. I was shocked bc I really thought most of the inventory for these were gone with it being in limited quantities

I broke down and got 1. Wanted to get one on Black Friday just didn't have the money at the time. Comes out to 243 after tax

[quote name='Havok83']Week before Christmas I went into a BB and saw STACKS of these on the floor. I was shocked bc I really thought most of the inventory for these were gone with it being in limited quantities[/QUOTE]

Yeah a few of my Best Buys had at least 20-30 before Xmas. Yesterday one BB was sold out, the other had 10.

I have two old Fat PS3's and want to upgrade but just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.
the 500gb AssCreed 3 one is the one I was eyeing up

[quote name='Fukurou']I'd bite if it was the 320 GB one.[/QUOTE]Pick this one up and buy a larger (500GB - 1TB) drive for it, problem solved.

[quote name='YBX87']even thought i already have a ps3, i am interested to see if the price will go lower than this, especially with the rumor of the ps4[/QUOTE]

Everyone sort of expects the XBox720/PS4 sometime late this year or early next year. But in general, most people think PS4 wont be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

Wait a minute.. isn't the superslim cheaper? I think I saw one listed for $200 with 250GB, comes with Infamous 1&2 + DLC and Uncharted 1&2 games.

[quote name='cagfansub']Wait a minute.. isn't the superslim cheaper? I think I saw one listed for $200 with 250GB, comes with Infamous 1&2 + DLC and Uncharted 1&2 games.[/QUOTE]

That was the Black Friday price. As far as I know Target and TRU continued selling them at that price but good luck finding one. Best Buy currently has them but they jacked the price back up to $299.99; however I think they put them on sale for $280 last week

For anyone looking for a regular slim, it might be worth checking your local Target's clearance. I saw an UC3 320 GB bundle for $210 a few days ago. Definitely, YMMV though.

[quote name='gantt']BF bundle wasn't a Slim.[/QUOTE]
Well, yeah, but does it matter? Don't they have the exact same functionalities?

[quote name='TooPoor']Well, yeah, but does it matter? Don't they have the exact same functionalities?[/QUOTE]
I like the sliding door on the super slim. No chance of a game getting stuck if your system dies.

I prefer this model for my set up but it's 2013 so I'll just wait for the new Playstation and hope my phatty makes it. I don't like the slider in the super slim, if that breaks you're SOL.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']I like my super slim overall, however I don't like the higher chance of dust getting inside.[/QUOTE]
Cover it with a cloth (preferrably one that matches the color of the room...) when you are not playing, at least that's what I do to my laptops and consoles, works like a charm.

[quote name='TooPoor']Well, yeah, but does it matter? Don't they have the exact same functionalities?[/QUOTE]

There is a pretty general consensus that the regular slim is higher quality than the super slim. I personally would only get a regular slim if I needed one, but I already have one.

[quote name='chimpmeister']There is a pretty general consensus that the regular slim is higher quality than the super slim. I personally would only get a regular slim if I needed one, but I already have one.[/QUOTE]
Oh really? Didn't really follow that story. I thought it was just cosmetic changes.

[quote name='TooPoor']Oh really? Didn't really follow that story. I thought it was just cosmetic changes.[/QUOTE]

The main thing is the change from slot loader to top loading disk. The cover of the top loader on the super slim seems to be weak and flimsy and it's spring loaded. I'd guess we'd see a lot of broken covers in the coming months.

I'm sticking with my 80G PS2 comp fat until it dies.

[quote name='TooPoor']Not bad for those who missed the BF bundle, which I'm surprised if you did given its availability back then[/QUOTE]

i got one of those BF im taking back on sunday... desided i dont need a 4th system

Super slim has a slightly lower wattage power supply so hardware isn't identical. I like the sliding cover. Don't have to turn it on or off to get a disc out and it matches my slim ps2 very nicely.

229 for the slim is a great price though.

We have the super slim and I like the design. If we ever get a second PS3, I'll get another super slim (unless there's some uber deal on another model).

anyone who gets one I HIGHLY reccomend getting a bigger HDD before you start using it to save the hassle, My 160gb HDD is full and I hardly have any games on it, darn PSN+ taking all my space.

[quote name='bob330i']The main thing is the change from slot loader to top loading disk. The cover of the top loader on the super slim seems to be weak and flimsy and it's spring loaded. I'd guess we'd see a lot of broken covers in the coming months.[/QUOTE]

Plus if you've got your PS3 in a rack, a top loading design is impractical.

Also:
Many anecdotal reports complain that the SS is louder.
And then there's that lovely cheap glossy plastic look. But as the previous post or two indicate, there's no accounting for taste.

I liked the $239 deal with $20 PSN card. Going in the wrong direction, BB.

[quote name='tekron']would i be a fool to buy a ps3 in 2013? I mean, systems are coming[/QUOTE]

Maybe...at least try to wait till E3

[quote name='tekron']would i be a fool to buy a ps3 in 2013? I mean, systems are coming[/QUOTE]

Depends on your situation. If u already have a 360 & no ps3 exclusives appeal to u then there is no point. But waiting on consoles that r SUPPOSED to drop in 11 months leaves a lot of down time for gaming. Then say u get the new console, play what u want from the launch window and there's a dead period. U can always play games u missed from the previous Gen. This will be the 1st Gen I carry my consoles over because I highly doubt the new consoles will be backwards compatible.

Something is always coming. Don't buy anything, ever, again, because the next big thing is almos... DAMN IT!

But yeah, Sony needs to keep losing money every year, and rushing out the PS4 would certainly help.

[quote name='gantt']Something is always coming. Don't buy anything, ever, again, because the next big thing is almos... DAMN IT!

But yeah, Sony needs to keep losing money every year, and rushing out the PS4 would certainly help.[/QUOTE]
Haha, I know. Justt wait it out it will get cheaper. Dont bother with them, buy and play gameboy games.

Hopefully Sony announces a price drop to $200 during E3. Then retailers slash it down to $150 for bf. hopefully I'll be at least half was closer to beating my backlog.

Not if you don't have one and want to play PS3 exclusives.

I wouldn't count on the PS4 being backward compatible, but that being said, you may be able to snag a PS3 cheap(er) post E3/post PS4 launch.

I just bought the refurbished model of this from the Sony Store for $200. My old fat PS3 just died and I wanted to replace it for as little as possible. Luckily Sony had a promotion going on to where I could buy $200 worth of gift credit and get $40 back. I think that promo is over, but you still might be able to save a little cash buying a refurb unit, plus it comes with the full 1 year warranty if you buy it from Sony.

would i be a fool to buy a ps3 in 2013? I mean, systems are coming

Not really. There are plenty of good games coming out this year. Chances are the new consoles won't be worth buying until 6 months after launch anyway, assuming they actually get released this fall.

I actually just returned a wii u because of how unimpressed i was ... if i could play a first person shooter with 360 graphics and motion capability i'd be filling that void between xbox and wii. killzone 3 looks fun with the move, but not sure that warrants a purchase alone

It never really pays to buy the console at launch, since there are so few games initially, and it takes so long for the software library to become worthwhile (not to mention problems with the initial hardware that get fixed in subsequent revisions). A lot of the wii u launch titles are inferior ports to the comparable ps3/xbox360 ones. You can always wait to confirm whether or not ps4 has any backwards compatability, since ps4/xbox720 will blow away wii u.

I'll eventually get a wii u for the exclusive titles, after the price goes down.

bread's done
Back