* * * * * 2 votes

2013 Thrift Store Thread

#421 Kovorkian   Judoka CAGiversary!   2650 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Even if you got audited nothing about goodwill purchases has anything to do with taxes.

I think if you make donations you can use them as a write off but as far as purchases that should only be for personal use.

That is like keeping all your gamestop receipts or receipts from eating out, nothing about that has to do with your taxes.

If you itemize your deductions, one of which can be sales tax

Line 5
You can elect to deduct state
and local general sales taxes
instead of state and local income taxes. You cannot deduct both.

http://www.irs.gov/p...s-pdf/i1040.pdf

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#422 Peep   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   52 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Look at the CPA's in here thinking they know what they are talking about. gtfo

#423 xtreme_Zr2   Mr. Sonny Crockett CAGiversary!   910 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Kovorkian is 100% correct on the above and cites the IRS, no one needs a CPA for reading comprehension.

Also, just as a general caveat, the home office deduction is one of the top 5 audit flags for 1040s, so make sure you go through the IRS's tests before claiming it.

Spooge, do you resell primarily on Ebay? i'm getting tired of the 13% off the top.

#424 Kovorkian   Judoka CAGiversary!   2650 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Look at the CPA's in here thinking they know what they are talking about. gtfo

I actually majored was Accounting >.> also I linked right to the page in which the information can be found

Edit: spelling

Edited by Kovorkian, 05 March 2013 - 03:53 PM.

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#425 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10044 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Kovorkian is 100% correct on the above and cites the IRS, no one needs a CPA for reading comprehension.

Also, just as a general caveat, the home office deduction is one of the top 5 audit flags for 1040s, so make sure you go through the IRS's tests before claiming it.

Spooge, do you resell primarily on Ebay? i'm getting tired of the 13% off the top.

I'm hiring a CPA this year just because I don't have the time to deal with the details, between selling, kids and home repairs/maintenance.

I'm not even bothering with deducting for home office, since I use it for more than business. I do have a laptop solely dedicated to printing and shipping orders, though.

I sell primarily on Amazon, with the occasional eBay sale on things that are restricted or otherwise unlistable on AZ. Fees suck, but at least Amazon only gets you once, unlike the eBay/PayPal tag team.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#426 Peep   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   52 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I actually majored was Accounting >.> also I linked right to the page in which the information can be found

Edit: spelling

not you, the fucking idiots questioning receipts.

#427 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3058 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Just thought this song is kinda suiting for this thread:

You're not alone.

#428 zekeike   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   91 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

I found this today at the Goodwill for 99 cents. In good shape and seems complete.

http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=29614

#429 mguiddy   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   5934 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

I found this today at the Goodwill for 99 cents. In good shape and seems complete.

Nice. I've found about 3 or 4 Neverhoods at various thrifts through the years, never complete though.

Although, all that picture does is make me sad my original box got thrown away, along with 99% of my game boxes. Thanks a lot mom. :cry:

#430 The Acacia Strain   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

The Acacia Strain

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Exactly. I resell online full-time (technically, part-time, since I'm also a stay-at-home dad), and ~95% of the things I buy from GW are business-related, and I need them to calculate and possibly prove, in the case of an audit, my gross profit. The stuff I sell doesn't just magically appear, and the purchase of the merchandise is a business expense.

Unfortunately, we were sloppy with our record-keeping this year (new baby really throws a wrench in the operation), so I have to go through the receipts one by one to make sure I pull the receipts that weren't 100% business related.

My CPA sucks. Shes had my information since January, and nothing..

Keeping all the receipts is such a pain though. I just tell myself it would be like throwing money away if I don't hold onto these.

#431 ChuckT   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   66 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Found these below at various thrift stores this past week. NES games were $1, Atari & N64 games were $2, disc-based games were $3.50
Posted Image

Some guy responded to my craigslist ad for the NES games.. $5 for all of them. The rest are from a goodwill I normally don't go to, but looks like I need to go more often.. All games were $4 each
Posted Image

Got these at a gamers exchange at eStarland. Paid $40 for everything from various vendors.. Pretty happy with Zoda's Revenge--CIB
Posted Image

What are the two Atari titles to the left?

#432 ferant316   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   828 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

Had a pretty good score today at Savers. I got the Zelda Ocarina of Time manga Vol 1, Pokemon Black/White Pokedex, Pokemon Gold/Silver Guide, Super Mario Sunshine guide, Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 guide, Diddy Kong Racing guide, Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, ODST and Reach guides. They had a buy 4 get 1 free sale on books and wanted $2.99 each but I managed to get them down to 99 cents each after a little negotiating so I walked out with the stack for under $8.

#433 evuong   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   220 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

What are the two Atari titles to the left?

Space master x7( a more uncommon one?) and tapeworm

#434 aptanor   Yes CAGiversary!   2019 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

I thought I'd go home empty-handed yesterday, until I noticed the little sack in the electronics section with all the Gyromite parts in it! Both gyros, both stands, ROB's motor and one of his pointy little hands. I can only assume his other hand is attached to his arm, which was unfortunately nowhere to be found. I showed the people there a pic of ROB and explained these were all parts of a larger item, and asked them to let me know if he showed up, but I'm not holding my breath. Got the whole sack for $2 though, so I'm not complaining.

Posted Image

#435 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10044 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

I ran into a Pikachu N64 yesterday, came with a few good games like Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Mario Party 2, but was missing the matching controller. They wanted $90 for it, which, while it seems steep, was a pretty fair price. I just couldn't pull the trigger, though.

I did find another complete copy of Pokemon Colosseum for $3. Other than that, it's been a slow week. :/

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#436 wheels  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

it's been slow around here recently too, yesterday i found an official orange gamecube controller for $6

today I saw 3 official gamecube controllers at a store for $4 each, upon close inspection they were all missing pieces or were scratched to hell, i passed.

#437 Sivarticus   Kentucky Fried Cheapass CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

Found what looks to be a brand new Lite Brite today for 3.99. Love this thread. Im sorry if this wasn't video game related. I do have a couple questions.

1. Could anyone tell me about a market for books? Does anyone resell them? And, if so, what is your preferred site to sell them?

2. Same question for cameras. Any brands to look out for?

If you don't want to reveal your tips in the thread throw me a PM. Thanks guys! Keep up the great hunt.

#438 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1706 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Found what looks to be a brand new Lite Brite today for 3.99. Love this thread. Im sorry if this wasn't video game related. I do have a couple questions.

1. Could anyone tell me about a market for books? Does anyone resell them? And, if so, what is your preferred site to sell them?

2. Same question for cameras. Any brands to look out for?

If you don't want to reveal your tips in the thread throw me a PM. Thanks guys! Keep up the great hunt.

Books can be tough. Some of them are valuable but take forever to sell. There are many edition and printing variations that can affect value. I trade some books in to Amazon and sell a few after I'm done with them.

You need to know your stuff with cameras, also. In general the only ones worth anything are SLR-type cameras with detachable lenses. Knowing how to tell lens mounts apart and what lenses are good in different brands takes time, but there can be some amazing finds at thrifts.

#439 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

I ran into a Pikachu N64 yesterday, came with a few good games like Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Mario Party 2, but was missing the matching controller. They wanted $90 for it, which, while it seems steep, was a pretty fair price. I just couldn't pull the trigger, though.

I did find another complete copy of Pokemon Colosseum for $3. Other than that, it's been a slow week. :/

not too bad with those games..

http://www.ebay.com/...=item338042b9b4
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#440 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1706 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

I've only seen a pikachu n64 once. It was at a thrift store that did not allow any returns. I didn't have the money for it. :(

#441 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1606 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I imagine its been happening well before I've noticed, but I have a local shyster patron at one of my GW stops. I've been noticing a fair amount of blank cases (no cover arts) with some random DVD (usually the fitness variety) mixed in with the DVDs and video games (most of my GWs combine the two in one space). I really didn't think anything of it, until I noticed one of them was a Gamecube case with a smidgen of a Gamestop label on the top corner. I distinctly remember which game it was from my last trip, so I know there was definitely a swap.

So rather than outright stealing the games, he/she buys them, takes out the disc / manual / cover art, and then returns the case with a cheap filler DVD. The GWs have no way of knowing what was really in there (as they tag everything as Books for the same price), so they're getting away with it pretty cleanly (though I'd imagine not all returns at one time, that would be highly suspect).

I don't know, somehow this upsets me more than the random people that just steal the discs inside, at least it's less work for the cashiers...

#442 evuong   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   220 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Genesis games were $3 each, vhs was $1, all of the game boy stuff was $6.50

Posted Image

All of the games below were $3 each
Posted Image

#443 DCpinoy  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Damn! I remember evolution for the dreamcast! One of my favorite games.

#444 aptanor   Yes CAGiversary!   2019 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

So I just bought an Atari lynx for $8, popped some batteries in but I can't seem to get it to start up. The screen is pretty scratched up and the clips that hold the cartridge slot closed are broken off. Anybody know much about the lynx? Are they prone to random failure or are they generally pretty sturdy? Worth trying to fix it?

Haha, scratch that. I pulled the klax cartridge out, shook it, and put it back in and out started up without a hitch :v

Posted Image

#445 Dar_k   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

So after thoroughly enjoying this thread I convinced my lady to come with me to donate some pants that don't fit either of us anymore at our local good will.

This place was chaos there must have been at least 8 employees being trained and the toy section was unbearable to even look through.

Also I have a question. Do your goodwills have two separate stores next to each other? I couldn't find any DVDs or games in the chaos and decided to check out next door.

Low and behold this is where they kept all the 'nice stuff'. Long story short none of the games had prices so I asked a newer employee. He said they mark 360 and ps3 games from 8.99 to 14.99 so I gave up looking.

Did buy a tiny coke glass for .99 will make a great double shot glass. No more goodwill for me. Will check out my local salvation army next week.

#446 aptanor   Yes CAGiversary!   2019 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Don't let one bad experience get you down. If there's another store in your area they often have completely different stock, since they pick up from different areas. Never seen two stores side by side, though.

Posted Image

#447 Dar_k   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thanks aptanor. I won't. Only had time to hit the goodwill today and it was mostly to donate. There are a few more in my area and I will most likely check them out. From what it seems Saturday is the day to go. Also couldn't tell you why they had two separate stores.

#448 Jnova80   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   66 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

My pickups from this past week. Enjoy!

#449 Shabow   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

So I go into my local Goodwill almost daily since it's just a mile down the road from where I workout. Anyway, I haven't seen anything good gaming related there for a month. (I found a Genesis with controller, but no A/V cables or power adapter in sight)

So I went there today at around 4pm and I found 8 N64 controllers in GREAT condition along with two rumble packs and a memory card. I also found a Wavebird, a SNES controller, and a NES light gun. I searched high and low for the consoles, but they were no where in sight. I DID find SNES and NES power adapters along with the required A/V cables.

Needless to say, I was disappointed that with all of this stuff there were no consoles. I purchased pretty much all of the Nintendo stuff I could find and left. After my workout, I came back to maybe see if they brought any of the systems out. On a new cart they had two standalone Gamecubes with the same set of initials that were inscribed on most of the stuff I had bought earlier. I already have a Gamecube, so I left those there.

My question is: Does this stuff sometimes come out slowly like this from the back? I'm going to go back tomorrow around 11 or noon to see if they have the consoles.

#450 evuong   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   220 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

So I go into my local Goodwill almost daily since it's just a mile down the road from where I workout. Anyway, I haven't seen anything good gaming related there for a month. (I found a Genesis with controller, but no A/V cables or power adapter in sight)

So I went there today at around 4pm and I found 8 N64 controllers in GREAT condition along with two rumble packs and a memory card. I also found a Wavebird, a SNES controller, and a NES light gun. I searched high and low for the consoles, but they were no where in sight. I DID find SNES and NES power adapters along with the required A/V cables.

Needless to say, I was disappointed that with all of this stuff there were no consoles. I purchased pretty much all of the Nintendo stuff I could find and left. After my workout, I came back to maybe see if they brought any of the systems out. On a new cart they had two standalone Gamecubes with the same set of initials that were inscribed on most of the stuff I had bought earlier. I already have a Gamecube, so I left those there.

My question is: Does this stuff sometimes come out slowly like this from the back? I'm going to go back tomorrow around 11 or noon to see if they have the consoles.

To be honest, I've tryed to figure out GW's schedule, but it just seems like its completely random. The only thing Ive notice (for my local gw at least ) is that they don't put DVD/disc based games out until the current ones out are almost all gone