* * * * * 2 votes

2013 Thrift Store Thread

#481 ChuckT   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

Space master x7( a more uncommon one?) and tapeworm

Ah. I was acutally more excited for the Spectravision title. Some of those are quite rare. Not Tapeworm, though.

#482 corygbp   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   29 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

On Saturday I found Super Mario Sunshine, Mario kart Double Dash, Luigi's Mansion, and Simpsons Hit and Run at a semi-local Goodwill. They had them hiddle facing the wrong way in the case, I think the employee was upset when I asked to see what they were. I got them for 4 dollars each.

#483 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1155 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

No pictures for now but went back this morning and got a few more nice items:

E Reader: 2.99
NBA Jam TE (32x): 2.99
Star Trek Starfleet Academy (32x): 2.99
Sega Dreamcast Fishing Controller: 3.99

Cool stuff to get. Also stopped at Half Price Books and grabbed a copy of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for Gamecube. Was marked $70.00 but today was 40% off day so got it for $42.00 plus tax. Not bad considering what it is going for on eBay now.

#484 The Acacia Strain   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

The Acacia Strain

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

You know theres nothing decent when you walk out empty handed on 50% off Media day......:(

You know you wanted the old exercise tapes!

#485 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I finally managed to get to some thrift shops on a good day! Picked up this haul at a Goodwill and Savers today. About $35 for it all.

NES: Double Dragon II, The Karate Kid, Kung Fu, Robocop, Kid Niki, Wizards & Warriors, and Willow (all carts only)
Genesis: Sonic 2 (cart only), Super Hang-On (box and cart), Columns (box, manual, and cart)
Dreamcast: Virtua Tennis and Space Channel 5 (cases, manuals, and discs)

My brother and I also passed on some N64 carts at Goodwill, all wrestling titles.

Nice finds, did you happen to go on an off weekend day for the pick ups? If you have some competition in your area, you may need to go more regularly, especially if the items you picked up were dated (if your GW / Savers dates the tags) on or nearly the same day.

Really? Like the white ones that have the Rock Band logo on them? I have a Large Flat Rate box full of those..

I never got in to Guitar Hero/Rock Band so I don't know much about them. I knew the wireless guitars have value but all the other pieces I just pile in boxes waiting to do who knows what with them.

The thing I didn't know is that the PS3 version requires the USB dongles, so many owners lose those, and they can't use their guitars now. The GW I went to happen to actually tape the dongle to the guitar, so getting the complete set was a nice find.

#486 trollape74   Lifting and Gaming CAGiversary!   554 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Got a Wii Rock Band drum set for $5 where I picked up my 360 drum set for $5. Didn't know it needed a dongle for it when I tried to use it. Looks clean and turns on though.

#487 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

You know you wanted the old exercise tapes!

:applause: , but anyways of course there was stuff today when the sale wasnt going on.

Xbox with power cable- $10

Dreamcast with power and tv cables- $8

Xbox games- Blinx complete, Brute Force Platinum Hits complete, Crimson Skies complete, and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow with no instructions- $3 apiece

Gamecube game- Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4- $3

#488 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Looks clean and turns on though.

Which is more than you can say about most of the girls I've brought home in the past.

#489 TheAggroCraig   Hummus! CAGiversary!   1433 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheAggroCraig

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

My friends found Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and 1080 all in box at a Savers in NH this weekend... that's what I get for not going I guess :/ only $10 each too iirc.

The OoT box was near mint, Mario and 1080 were in decent shape.

#490 TrumpetDan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   603 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

TrumpetDan

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Nice finds, did you happen to go on an off weekend day for the pick ups? If you have some competition in your area, you may need to go more regularly, especially if the items you picked up were dated (if your GW / Savers dates the tags) on or nearly the same day.

I went this past Saturday around 5pm, and the tags were done same day. One of the employees told me I should have been there earlier because there was a lot more of a selection of older titles. Seems to make sense that Saturdays and Sundays are prime days to go though.

#491 Jnova80   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   67 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Good stuff today!

#492 UnzipTheBag   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

UnzipTheBag

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

My friends found Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and 1080 all in box at a Savers in NH this weekend... that's what I get for not going I guess :/ only $10 each too iirc.

The OoT box was near mint, Mario and 1080 were in decent shape.

Damn it :/

#493 xtreme_Zr2   Mr. Sonny Crockett CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Good stuff today!

Nice! I wonder how rare-ish games end up at Goodwill. Someone obviously goes out of their way for the .hack games and magically they turn up at Goodwill?

Side note - I had an insane yard sale find near the end of the year last year with a ton of good PSX rpg's and I still wonder if the kid moved out on bad terms or (worse). Anyone will the slightest bit of internet skiil would look up a few games value before they donated them. I would imagine a parent would call his/her children before donating or selling a collection they've worked for years to collect.

#494 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Nothing gaming-related, but I picked up a few cool things at Goodwill the other day:
Posted Image
I only bought the Santa because I thought it might be worth something, but it doesn't look like I can get much for it. It's still kinda neat, though, despite my aversion to bobbleheads. The car was a must for me. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I immediately recognized it as a VHS rewinder. When I was a kid, I was always so jealous of people who had one of these.

This next item doesn't work quite as well as I was hoping, but it's still a great novelty item:
Posted Image

#495 Jnova80   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   67 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Nice! I wonder how rare-ish games end up at Goodwill. Someone obviously goes out of their way for the .hack games and magically they turn up at Goodwill?

I was wondering the same thing. This guy was obviously a serious collector. I'm thinking either he moved and left them behind and maybe his parents decided to donate them, or (hopefully NOT this) he died. I always think I have some dead guy's stuff whenever I find awesome things at thrift stores. haha

#496 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I was wondering the same thing. This guy was obviously a serious collector. I'm thinking either he moved and left them behind and maybe his parents decided to donate them, or (hopefully NOT this) he died. I always think I have some dead guy's stuff whenever I find awesome things at thrift stores. haha

That's my assumption whenever I find huge scores of collectibles that obviously came from the same place. It may be morbid, but meh, it's a realistic assumption.

#497 Sinnbox   Garage-sale/Thrift KING!! CAGiversary!   2034 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

I always assume it's from some kid that just left for college.

#498 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1155 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

That's my assumption whenever I find huge scores of collectibles that obviously came from the same place. It may be morbid, but meh, it's a realistic assumption.

There are only four real possibilities... lets be real, the average person doesn't have a bunch of Atlus games or rare RPGs. When you find that sort of score it is very rarely just some random person. Now you can find one rare game by coincidence. For example, anyone could randomly have gotten a Persona 2, or a Suikoden 2, or a .hack part 4, or even a Turbografx. But to have like 5 Atlus titles or something like that? They should at least know it isn't worthless. My ideas:

1. They used to be a hardcore gamer (but not really a collector) years ago but got out of it years ago and just noticed their old games around the house. Certainly possible... but most of these people would be the types to know they might be worth something. I think this is rare.
2. Someone made their wife/husband/significant other/sibling/etc. really mad. Also a possibility but I would think that would be someone who would take it to a pawn shop and get some cash more likely. You never know though, this may be easier.
3. Gone off to college and their parents thought they didn't want it anymore. This makes sense with newer stuff like PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/DS/PSP/etc. A bit less likely with older stuff than that though as they wouldn't be going off to college at this point most likely. You never know, maybe they moved out of state and not to college or something... but less likely.
4. They died and their family has no idea what it's worth.

Really... I can't think of any other real possibilities...

#499 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Really... I can't think of any other real possibilities...

Kind of branches off of the second possibility, but getting married / moving in together with SO. The non-gamer thinks why have all these things taking up space when they aren't being used, and either ninja-donate, or give an ultimatum on getting rid of them ASAP.

Option one may be more relevant than you think, as there are many people that just don't feel comfortable selling games on Ebay / Amazon / CL, and don't want to bother with used game trade in credit. Donating is incredibly easy by comparison for them.

The car was a must for me. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I immediately recognized it as a VHS rewinder. When I was a kid, I was always so jealous of people who had one of these.

My uncle had one of those Car VHS rewinders, I don't know why I was so enamored with it as a kid, but at the time it just seemed so cool (to an 8 year old that is).

#500 aptanor   Yes CAGiversary!   2053 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Had a good find today at Goodwill. No crazy rare titles but at $2 each I'm hardly complaining.
Posted Image

#501 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

My uncle had one of those Car VHS rewinders, I don't know why I was so enamored with it as a kid, but at the time it just seemed so cool (to an 8 year old that is).

My aunt had one and I was insanely jealous because we couldn't afford such a luxury. Plus, you know, it looked like a fucking car.

#502 trollape74   Lifting and Gaming CAGiversary!   554 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Which is more than you can say about most of the girls I've brought home in the past.

:lol: sometimes I feel dirty after digging through some of these bins. Reminds me of the time my little brother found a bra while rummaging in the plush bin. Anyways found two TI-89 calculators.
Posted Image
Got both for $6. Just gotta get rid of the hello kitty stickers. One of them has a broken battery cover so I'm keeping that one for school and selling the other.

#503 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

:lol: sometimes I feel dirty after digging through some of these bins. Reminds me of the time my little brother found a bra while rummaging in the plush bin. Anyways found two TI-89 calculators.
Posted Image
Got both for $6. Just gotta get rid of the hello kitty stickers. One of them has a broken battery cover so I'm keeping that one for school and selling the other.

Bah, that'a nothing. A few years ago, while looking through the seasonal department of a local thrift (Red White and Blue), I found what looked like a pretty cool looking severed hand. I turned it over and printed on it was the company name "Doc Johnson."
I threw it to the ground and went to the bathroom to wash my hands. If you don't get it, Google at your own discretion.
Spoiler

A few months ago, at my local Goodwill, I also found another Doc Johnson product, Mint flavored jel (the name is being left out to not offend). It was half empty. Fortunately, I knew what it was when I spotted it this time, so I didn't touch it. I did, however, get one of the old ladies that worked there and had to explain to her what it was, that it is clearly used and shouldn't be out for some random kid to pick up. That was fun trying to explain what it was... :-#

But back on-topic, the only good find I've had this week was a copy of NBA 2K13 :ps3: for 4.99. I almost took to down the street to trade to Best Buy for $24, but I decided to take it home and try it out first. I haven't played a basketball game since NBA Jam in the Genesis.

#504 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10080 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

Did you buy the hand?

#505 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

Did you buy the hand?

I shoplifted it. Stuck it right up my ass and walked out. :applause:

#506 evuong   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Posted Image

I've found quite a few of those before...real easy flip

#507 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10080 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

I shoplifted it. Stuck it right up my ass and walked out. :applause:

It must have recently been excreted, I always knew you had something stuck up your butt as a mod. >_< I kid I kid, you're a much better person from when you were a mod.

#508 SilverPrince   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   136 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

SilverPrince

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Hit the local Goodwill today before work, since it's right next door. Didn't have much of anything. Some crummy sports games. Went to the back to see if they had any good books or electronics, of course not. But then sitting on a random table on the way out, I found a black 1st party Gamecube controller for only $2. The left analog stick is stripped of the rubber, but it works nicely.

#509 Shabow   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

What's weird is that my Goodwill is very, very picky about putting all of their games in the glass case. It seems like none of their inventory turns over in the case. As for the consoles, if I don't see them next time I'm in there I'll ask someone to go back in the back and look for them. (if they're even there) My store has a pretty helpful worker that will go back and look for stuff for you. :)

So it's been over a week and I still haven't seen the systems put out on the floor. They're all just sitting there on a cart in the back right by the swinging doors. I asked the cashier what the deal was with them just sitting there and if I could buy them. She just gave me a sad look and said that they're all being sold online at shopgoodwill.com. I'm not happy to say the least and I can't seem to find the systems on the site to maybe even bid on them. :cry:

#510 evuong   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Busy week for me, but managed to hit some thrift stores.

Local thrift shop had all of these games for $2 - $2.50 a piece.. Anybody know anything about this dungeon siege NFR?Is it worth anything? Also, passed on a $10 gameboy SP with no charger
Gameboy games = pokemon red, crystal, gold, donkey kong country, zeldas, dragon warrior monsters 2
Posted Image
Goodwill Finds-- Genesis games were $3, all others were $4
Posted Image
Traded some guy on Craigslist a TI-83 I got at GW for these games + $25
Posted Image