Report: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Does Sony just NOT want to be in the gaming market or something? This is like saying "Hey, we are digging our own grave, so don't worry about us."

IGN loves that site traffic
It's worth noting that Sony has not confirmed the existence of the device, and the patent doesn't state what machine it will be used in, with later paragraphs also mentioning accessories and peripherals.

Contactless RF tag on each copy of the game. If it works, sounds like a fairly brilliant way of removing used games without relying on the internet. I wonder how long it'll take hackers to either find a way to replace RF tags or to find a way to record the "unused" state of a tag and use that to rewrite the tag when they want to sell it.

I'll still just continue to buy games when the content is worth the cost. This'll just change how cost is calculated.

[quote name='Javery']This is going to happen eventually.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, every 6 months or so a thread pops up about this. The gamestop folks will pass by sooner or later to convince everyone of the major influence gamestop has in the industry, and how because of that influence this could never, ever happen. Then we get milk and carrot sticks, then it's naptime.

Quite frankly, I'm ok with this.
I'd rather the money end up in developer's hands than in Gamestop's coffers, who provide no content of their own.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was something devs have been asking for behind the scenes.

1) We have no idea what Sony's intent is and where they are in the development stage. Something tells me it's a little late to have it ready for the next console but who knows.

2) I would be in support of this if it meant that games had a lower MSRP at release like $40. With sales to $30 or $20 happening within 1-2 months of release.

3) There are a lot of reasons why Sony could be developing this technology that might not have to do with gaming.

Companies research and develop lots of ideas and devices that may or may not ever translate into an actual consumer product. It's not time to panic just yet. :lol:

Given gamers' tolerance for rrod, ylod, dlc, online passes, xboxlive, drm, online singleplayer and other anti-consumer measures, do we honestly think that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Sony would be daft not to take advantage of our addictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Javery']This is going to happen eventually.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why. As long as we have physical media, the console that doesn't ban used games will have a serious competitive advantage. I have to think that Xbox720 would take advantage to bury PS4.

Once we have all digital downloads then yes you're correct.

[quote name='camoor']I don't see why. As long as we have physical media, the console that doesn't ban used games will have a serious competitive advantage. I have to think that Xbox720 would take advantage to bury PS4.

Once we have all digital downloads then yes you're correct.[/QUOTE]

If Sony gets the patent then their isn't much MS can do (remember blu-ray almost 10 years ago?).

If this is driven by the gaming industry (developers) then it might put MS at a disadvantage from the standpoint of getting developers to make games for them.

[quote name='GBAstar']If Sony gets the patent then their isn't much MS can do (remember blu-ray almost 10 years ago?).

If this is driven by the gaming industry (developers) then it might put MS at a disadvantage from the standpoint of getting developers to make games for them.[/QUOTE]

Developers are closing left and right. I have a feeling picking a choosing consoles will no longer be an option.

Sony must want to get out of the video game industry. Because all this is going to do is cause retailers like Gamestop that sell used games to not carry a console blocking their main profit maker. Because they make so little money from new items.

Not only that, it would also kill chances of the game rental businesses like Gamefly & Redbox carrying games for a console using that. Because after the first use, no one else would be able to use the game.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Sony must want to get out of the video game industry. Because all this is going to do is cause retailers like Gamestop that sell used games to not carry a console blocking their main profit maker. Because they make so little money from new items.

Not only that, it would also kill chances of the game rental businesses like Gamefly & Redbox carrying games for a console using that. Because after the first use, no one else would be able to use the game.[/QUOTE]

Or there could come a day when studios united and collectively said they wouldn't make games for a system that didn't have this technology.

It's kind of a silly argument anyways because I don't believe this will be in the next Sony console.

[quote name='camoor']As long as we have physical media, the console that doesn't ban used games will have a serious competitive advantage.[/QUOTE]
Or the competitor will breathe a sigh of relief and institute the same technology on their console (citing the need, ironically enough, to "stay competitive" and meet industry demands or some such thing). Then the competitors toast their relationship with developers/publishers/retailers.

DD doesn't need to be fully implemented for this to happen. We're much closer to used games getting pushed out than we are the majority of transactions for big-name titles being handled through DD.

[quote name='GUNNM']It's a good thing I only buy capcom games or a yung nukka like me would go broke[/QUOTE]

It's a good thing I speak and read japanese at a monkey level or I wouldn't know that you just referred to yourself as an "unripe banana."

It's an interesting choice, very lyrical.

konichwa bitches.

Back in the day I've lost many potential children to the ground or on my stomach thanks to lucy lawless.

[quote name='62t']We are only a 2 or 3 generations from going full digital anyway.[/QUOTE]

Keep saying that and maybe it will become true. The fact is digital does not have the PIPELINE to facilitate the data ability necessary to make download even a remote possibility.
You're asking for a standard fiber-optic connection in all homes and don't forgot the bandwidth caps that tech companies have already put up. Netflix says hi with that problem. Now you want to look at over 10 gig. games easy if we're talking quality textures, audio, etc.
This is the wish of direct content providers and no one else. Gamestop and everyone else loses on the deal of digital distribution.
There are certainly issues like shelf space with physical but face facts, with companies like Warner and others, regardless how they're trying to hook the cherry download scheme, as it stands it is CHEAPER to produce copies on discs versus digital. Sheer volume is faster, even with fiber I would argue. Even if you don't want to argue that the physical disc offering is perfect for the decentralized model. How many people do you know of that still don't have great broadband, or any?
Don't cry to me about 4G or cell phone being desirable either. When I want to download a big game on my Windows Phone, it refuses to use my 4G and makes me use Wi-Fi.
The reason digital is so big with music would appear the market shrinking anyway. Most were going to digital at the beginning but audio is much less demanding in data and people were willing to settle. Do you think gamers will settle for their game looking a lot worse if the download is faster. Face it, we're all spoiled rotten in this and it won't be tolerated.
edit: The only way downloads in general become purely more profitable for the company is if their server facilities went completely self-sufficient, using green technologies like Solar, Tidal, Geothermal, Biomass, etc. I'm talking them even running pipe out to a major hub and paying for it themselves.

XmKqg.jpg

[quote name='Sarang01']Keep saying that and maybe it will become true. The fact is digital does not have the PIPELINE to facilitate the data ability necessary to make download even a remote possibility.
You're asking for a standard fiber-optic connection in all homes and don't forgot the bandwidth caps that tech companies have already put up. Netflix says hi with that problem. Now you want to look at over 10 gig. games easy if we're talking quality textures, audio, etc.
This is the wish of direct content providers and no one else. Gamestop and everyone else loses on the deal of digital distribution.
There are certainly issues like shelf space with physical but face facts, with companies like Warner and others, regardless how they're trying to hook the cherry download scheme, as it stands it is CHEAPER to produce copies on discs versus digital. Sheer volume is faster, even with fiber I would argue. Even if you don't want to argue that the physical disc offering is perfect for the decentralized model. How many people do you know of that still don't have great broadband, or any?
Don't cry to me about 4G or cell phone being desirable either. When I want to download a big game on my Windows Phone, it refuses to use my 4G and makes me use Wi-Fi.
The reason digital is so big with music would appear the market shrinking anyway. Most were going to digital at the beginning but audio is much less demanding in data and people were willing to settle. Do you think gamers will settle for their game looking a lot worse if the download is faster. Face it, we're all spoiled rotten in this and it won't be tolerated.
edit: The only way downloads in general become purely more profitable for the company is if their server facilities went completely self-sufficient, using green technologies like Solar, Tidal, Geothermal, Biomass, etc. I'm talking them even running pipe out to a major hub and paying for it themselves.[/QUOTE]

Thats only 10-15 years. Look at how much things changed since 1998.

[quote name='62t']Thats only 10-15 years. Look at how much things change 1998.[/QUOTE]

Wow you really think that Gamestop and other businesses will tolerate being marginalized in profit to the point of being grocery stores?
With taking up iTunes there was no way to go but up in profit. The same does not apply to video games and especially movies. Both have collector's swag as a point of profit for publishers especially.
As others have stated the profit margin is wonderful for used and likely arguably allows them to stay solvent as a business.
Ultimately people will not buy the Sony console and if Xbox and Nintendo pull this crap then Best Buy and the rest will blindside them with their own console and guaranteed developer exclusivity for a much longer time.
PSP Go was bullshit but made sense since sales for that in games over here were terrible, iTunes again. That was why the PSP Go was tolerated, if not begrudgingly accepted. However like I was saying, Best Buy and others will just make their own console in collaboration with each other. Imagine the power of the hardware and the sheer scale of mass production and what sort of cost for a console that would be. Couple that with exclusive publishers given promise of a guaranteed sell through on some games in terms of sales(even if Best Buy and others might take a slight bath). Basically I don't care how much money Sony and Microsoft as well as Nintendo have, they're not this stupid. They don't have the physical assets or even the financial one's of: Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart and Gamestop combined(that's just a few). Nintendo especially would get fucked hard given they have no industry like Microsoft and Sony to fall back on.
What people here are appears to be either wishing for this or fearing this. In the former case consider how fucked you'll get if you import. MS loves to block people from playing online Japanese content even if they OWN a Japanese 360, now supposedly having IP checking. Sony seems to be good about it but what if they suddenly swing the other way. One can only imagine what Nintendo might do.
In both changes, proxy changers or whatever they're called will become your best friends in both movies and video games so you can avoid the pure nonsense that is region rights.
On a side note, I don't even believe in region rights though I believe in copyright. The first is designed to milk you and expect your sale even when you're given an inferior copy since you live in said region. The latter is to actually see money go to the people who have actually created the product.

[quote name='Sarang01']Wow you really think that Gamestop and other businesses will tolerate being marginalized in profit to the point of being grocery stores?
With taking up iTunes there was no way to go but up in profit. The same does not apply to video games and especially movies. Both have collector's swag as a point of profit for publishers especially.
As others have stated the profit margin is wonderful for used and likely arguably allows them to stay solvent as a business.
Ultimately people will not buy the Sony console and if Xbox and Nintendo pull this crap then Best Buy and the rest will blindside them with their own console and guaranteed developer exclusivity for a much longer time.
PSP Go was bullshit but made sense since sales for that in games over here were terrible, iTunes again. That was why the PSP Go was tolerated, if not begrudgingly accepted. However like I was saying, Best Buy and others will just make their own console in collaboration with each other. Imagine the power of the hardware and the sheer scale of mass production and what sort of cost for a console that would be. Couple that with exclusive publishers given promise of a guaranteed sell through on some games in terms of sales(even if Best Buy and others might take a slight bath). Basically I don't care how much money Sony and Microsoft as well as Nintendo have, they're not this stupid. They don't have the physical assets or even the financial one's of: Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart and Gamestop combined(that's just a few). Nintendo especially would get fucked hard given they have no industry like Microsoft and Sony to fall back on.
What people here are appears to be either wishing for this or fearing this. In the former case consider how fucked you'll get if you import. MS loves to block people from playing online Japanese content even if they OWN a Japanese 360, now supposedly having IP checking. Sony seems to be good about it but what if they suddenly swing the other way. One can only imagine what Nintendo might do.
In both changes, proxy changers or whatever they're called will become your best friends in both movies and video games so you can avoid the pure nonsense that is region rights.
On a side note, I don't even believe in region rights though I believe in copyright. The first is designed to milk you and expect your sale even when you're given an inferior copy since you live in said region. The latter is to actually see money go to the people who have actually created the product.[/QUOTE]

In 15 years gamestop will end up like tower record. They won't be a factor anymore as a B&M store. BBY is enough trouble that they are not really in any position to make demand. B&M store tried to avoid the digital wave but ended up carry those devices since they desperately need foot traffic to the store. On the other hand online retailers like amazon is ready to go full digital, and they are pushing their digital download hard. In fact gamestop is also moving in the digital download business in order to stay alive.

Book stores are gone. Music stores are gone. It is only a matter of time for gaming.

What happens when your console breaks after 13 months? Now you are not only out a $100+ repair fee or $300-$400 replacement, but your full library of 20-30 games become garbage?

Books and music are relatively small and can be downloaded over 4G. Games will require wifi or a broadband connection and the majority of Americans do NOT have high speed internet. Just like the majority of Americans do not have HDTV or a Blu-ray player. Hell, there are still a significant portion of people who only have a VHS player!

Although I guess I can see it if each generation lasts a decade or so.

[quote name='DNukem170']Books and music are relatively small and can be downloaded over 4G. Games will require wifi or a broadband connection and the majority of Americans do NOT have high speed internet. Just like the majority of Americans do not have HDTV or a Blu-ray player. Hell, there are still a significant portion of people who only have a VHS player!

Although I guess I can see it if each generation lasts a decade or so.[/QUOTE]

And I remember when I first got the internet and it was intolerable to watch a quick video clip of the s\Simpsons (we are talking about 500kb via QuickTime) and now you can instantly stream HD Movies.

You also have a company (Nintendo) that has made a console were you can go into a retail store and buy a replacement tablet/controller.

I'm not sure what Sony has in mind but I don't blame them for patenting the technology and I'm sure they'll do their research before implementing it. As long as developers are behind it and they price it reasonably I could care less if it upsets the Gamefly/RedBox/Gamestop trade-in flippers.

But again we aren't talking about anything that will happen in the near future.

This might not even kill Gamestop. Having not read the patent itself, I'm wondering how feasible it would be for GS to work with Sony to either replace tags or reset them to their default state.

Or how feasible it would be to create a "skeleton tag" that'd allow a game to work on infinite consoles (for renting purposes). If it is possible, it'd be better than the current system. No "online passes" crap preventing online play for rentals.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Contactless RF tag on each copy of the game. If it works, sounds like a fairly brilliant way of removing used games without relying on the internet. I wonder how long it'll take hackers to either find a way to replace RF tags or to find a way to record the "unused" state of a tag and use that to rewrite the tag when they want to sell it.

I'll still just continue to buy games when the content is worth the cost. This'll just change how cost is calculated.[/QUOTE]

LOL... only Sony would think to use the easiest hackable wireless technology there is. Probably take 10 minutes for someone to hack.

You guys are making some naive assumptions on both sides of the equation. GameStop will be provided with a device to reset the RFID chips. They won't go out of business. They'll be perfectly fine. The only people this will hurt will be the gamers who won't be able to resell games on eBay for higher prices than GameStop gives. Then of course, GameStop will be able to pay much less since there will be less competition. Oh and when your console breaks, I hope you don't mind rebuying all your games or paying Sony a $5 fee per game to get them reset.

I can't imaging many CAG's would buy a PS4 with this tech in it.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']What happens when your console breaks after 13 months? Now you are not only out a $100+ repair fee or $300-$400 replacement, but your full library of 20-30 games become garbage?[/QUOTE]

It'll have to be similar to the iTunes Store. It tracks what games you've purchased and you're allowed a number of downloads or have a finite number of machines on which you can place the software. This stuff is already occurring with the PSP, iOS products, the Vita, and the PS3. It's not a stretch to see this next gen IMO.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']What happens when your console breaks after 13 months? Now you are not only out a $100+ repair fee or $300-$400 replacement, but your full library of 20-30 games become garbage?[/QUOTE]

The same thing that happens when your PS3 or Xbox 360 break? You should be able to transfer everything to a new system.

[quote name='62t']The same thing that happens when your PS3 or Xbox 360 break? You should be able to transfer everything to a new system.[/QUOTE]

I feel like someone should mention the patent app specifically refers to the ID as "reproduction device ID or a user ID". There's still the question of "what if I never take my system online". Allow for backing up on a USB dongle or in the controller itself perhaps? Or actually keep all info on a memory card that's required to even start the system?

[quote name='62t']The same thing that happens when your PS3 or Xbox 360 break? You should be able to transfer everything to a new system.[/QUOTE]

He's making a comparison of digital to physical media. Nonsensical.

[quote name='Blaster man']
I can't imaging many CAG's would buy a PS4 with this tech in it.[/QUOTE]
I would buy it, if Sony offers crazy sales like steam and continue with PS+.

[quote name='htz']I would buy it, if Sony offers crazy sales like steam and continue with PS+.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you'll buy it IF Sony offers sales or you'll wait for sales and then decide its okay to buy it????

[quote name='htz']I would buy it, if Sony offers crazy sales like steam and continue with PS+.[/QUOTE]

I would buy it too. People had no problem buying a system with no WiFi, a high failure rate and dated technology as the optical drive.

If it ever did happen I'm sure most of the issues in this thread would be addressed. The only people that really get hurt are those that only buy used or those that resell used media.

I would actually even support the tech if as I mentioned earlier it allowed them to take a break from the $60 MSRP pricing structure

Shit sickens me. Used products are available in every other market. Why does the gaming industry feel they're entitled to privileges the rest of the world doesn't get?

They've already exploited DLC to make it the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Now they're gonna try this? If this happens, I won't be buying a Playstation 4. This coming from a person who owns a PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 and buys AT LEAST 10 new games a year.

There are plenty benefits that the used gaming market provides to developers. If it weren't for used gaming, I wouldn't be able to afford as many brand new games as I can now.

I give so much support to game developers. I buy niche games, I buy AAA games, I buy every system... but they just keep shitting on me. If any developer tries this, I'm just gonna start treating them the way they treat us. I'll by myself a nice computer and pirate all their games.

[quote name='62t']We are only a 2 or 3 generations from going full digital anyway.[/QUOTE]

Will never happen. There's far too much to lose.

[quote name='AugustAPC'] Shit sickens me. Used products are available in every other market. Why does the gaming industry feel they're entitled to privileges the rest of the world doesn't get?

They've already exploited DLC to make it the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Now they're gonna try this? If this happens, I won't be buying a Playstation 4. This coming from a person who owns a PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 and buys AT LEAST 10 new games a year.

There are plenty benefits that the used gaming market provides to developers. If it weren't for used gaming, I wouldn't be able to afford as many brand new games as I can now. [/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the used physical market, I hope the market punishes any company that goes this route. Although games drop in price so quickly, I don't have any reason to buy used.

I disagree on DLC, it has definitely been abused, but it has also been used with great success to add to or modify great games that are worth going back to.

[quote name='AugustAPC'] Will never happen. There's far too much to lose.[/QUOTE]

Never happen? As in there will always be some physical format even if it is a tiny niche market? Sure I'll go with that, but there will come a time in the not too distant future when physical media for consoles is akin to the vinyl of the music industry.

It will be similar to cd sales, pysical cd sales have been on the decline for years, downloadable music now accounts for 57% of all music sold. Will cd's still be around, sure, but they won't be the dominant format anymore.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/05/ni...ar-this-year-on-pace-to-set-new-sales-record/

PC games have already gone this way, and they are now cheaper than ever. I don't care if I get to resell my $5 steam game.

There is a problem with that assumption. Once you buy a playstation system you are in a closed market unlike the PC. Steam has a lot of competition for your money, and there are a lot of big players getting in to compete in that space. Amazon has been beating Steam at their own game lately in terms of sales. Sony and Microsoft don't have the same incentive to push price like the online PC stores.

There are other closed platforms like iOS that see cheap prices, but there is such a small barrier to entry for developers and such a large amount of content, and with such an open and flexible market that prices don't have the rigidity that they do on traditional consoles.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ga...-restrict-used-games-on-wii-u-console-1086535

Nintendo has pretty much said let the used game market live on. I will support Nintendo like always but if the other next gen consoles ban used games, Nintendo will be all I support, with a sprinkle of PC.

And if the day ever comes where the industry goes all digital, (I highly doubt it), I won't cry. I have a backlog that will keep me happy until I die.

Just because a company patents a type of technology, doesn't mean they'll use it. If they do, however, they can kiss my business goodbye.

[quote name='Vader582']It'll have to be similar to the iTunes Store. It tracks what games you've purchased and you're allowed a number of downloads or have a finite number of machines on which you can place the software. This stuff is already occurring with the PSP, iOS products, the Vita, and the PS3. It's not a stretch to see this next gen IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking physical game library of 20-30 games, they'll give you a free digital download of all your 30 games on your new console? I doubt that. Also, what if the console never even went online?

The point is the console is BROKEN, how can you transfer from a broken system, it's broke. If a PS3/Xbox breaks, you take the game disc and put it in a new console, wow it works. I don't know what you are getting at, this whole thing is saying that WON'T work next gen. Your only option is official repair (hello even bigger markup maybe $200 for repair) and hope it comes back with the same # as your games.

I have nothing against a non-used game market, but it just doesn't seem viable for home console. You can install Steam on to multiple computers and download any/all your games at any time. That works for PSN/XBLA games, but not for physical games.

Gamestop already sells digital versions of games, DLC, Season Passes, some PSN/XBLA games, etc. But those prices never change or go on sale really. Or just try looking up old DLC on XBLA/PSN, it's full price for years.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I'm talking physical game library of 20-30 games, they'll give you a free digital download of all your 30 games on your new console? I doubt that. Also, what if the console never even went online?

The point is the console is BROKEN, how can you transfer from a broken system, it's broke. If a PS3/Xbox breaks, you take the game disc and put it in a new console, wow it works. I don't know what you are getting at, this whole thing is saying that WON'T work next gen. Your only option is official repair (hello even bigger markup maybe $200 for repair) and hope it comes back with the same # as your games.

I have nothing against a non-used game market, but it just doesn't seem viable for home console. You can install Steam on to multiple computers and download any/all your games at any time. That works for PSN/XBLA games, but not for physical games.

Gamestop already sells digital versions of games, DLC, Season Passes, some PSN/XBLA games, etc. But those prices never change or go on sale really. Or just try looking up old DLC on XBLA/PSN, it's full price for years.[/QUOTE]
When your PS3 or Xbox 360 break or when you get a new system, your transfer your profile to the new system and redownload everything you purchase, even if they been removed from the online store. We don't know what the new system will be like but I don't see it being very different.

As for sales, there is XBLA and PSN sales every month. Occasionally you even get a free game or two.

If this gets implemented, it'll be the quickest way for me to curb my game-spending budget.

That, or just waiting for Black Friday sales.

bread's done
Back