PS3 HDD upgrade

Stick with 5400 rpm. Higher speed drives will work, but due to the limited power supply on a PS3 (especially the slims) they tend to burn out faster. I always warn my customers against putting drives over 5400 rpm in their system, but they do it themselves anyway. 9/10 return within about a year with a dead or dying hard drive and an "I wish I'd have listened" look on their face.

Play it safe, don't push the system to hard with a high powered drive.

[quote name='Mako1215']What's a good one to upgrade to from my slim?

5400 or 7200 rpm?[/QUOTE]

SSD if you have alot of downloaded games because it will load them faster when installed on SSD.

[quote name='Jaggsta']SSD if you have alot of downloaded games because it will load them faster when installed on SSD.[/QUOTE]
...and it will also cost you a fortune...

[quote name='Riyotous']Stick with 5400 rpm. Higher speed drives will work, but due to the limited power supply on a PS3 (especially the slims) they tend to burn out faster. I always warn my customers against putting drives over 5400 rpm in their system, but they do it themselves anyway. 9/10 return within about a year with a dead or dying hard drive and an "I wish I'd have listened" look on their face.

Play it safe, don't push the system to hard with a high powered drive.[/QUOTE]

You mean you recommend against a 7200rpm?

You will get an increase in data based load times going with a 7200 rpm drive, but at the cost of reliability (unlike a in a laptop, 7200s tend to go out in PS3s). The problem is that your disc drive load speeds will still remain roughly the same, so to me the reliability of a 5200 or 5400 is more valuable than the speed increase of a 7200.

The best bet would be to go SSD (amazon has sales on them fairly regular) or get a 5400 with a higher cache rating than standard. That would give you the data loading increase without losing the stability of standard rpm drive.

Like the guy above me said, the speed of load times will be almost the same, I got the 750 GB with 5400 PRM seagate and runs good so far.

Yea. I'm going to skip a SSD, because of the per GB cost, and I want to increase storage more then speed.

I'm thinking of going with a 500/750 52/5400 rpm with a higher cache like suggested.

Just upgraded to a terabyte 5400 rpm from a 500 GB.
Took 2.5 - 3 days to complete the backup and restore but it was worth it.

bread's done
Back