* * * * * 3 votes

2013 Yard Sale Thread

#631 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   302 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

After cleaning out 3 storage units in 3 days leading up to Saturday, I was thrilled to drive around and buy one thing at a time. Yesterday was one of my better days of the year. For only the 2nd time this year I found some decent game stuff (been REALLY dry by me). 

At my first yard sale a kid was selling a bunch of his unopened lego sets for $2-3 each. This older guy, definitely a dealer was buying a few when I got there but hadn't touched a few of them. So I took a look. I picked up a Star Wars set and the guy said "I'm buying that." I asked if he already bought it. He dodged the question. Just very rude. I asked the child's mother if the item was sold because the man wouldn't tell me. She said no, and I bought it for $2. I went to look at another set and the guy just says "you're too late on that one." I enjoy yard sales too much for one smug person to ruin it at all for me. Anyway.. the finds.

Power Rangers Board Game, Goosebumps Board Game & Micro Machines Super Auto World- $4 total

Fireball Island board game (complete!)-$4

N64 Console w/ 2 3rd party controllers, Mario Kart, Mario Party 1 & 2, and a few other games- $35

Pink DS Console w/ 4 games (one was Mario Kart), Brand New 22" LG Super LED Monitor, and Acer Netbook- $75 total

Another DS console complete in box- $20

Box w/ slim ps2, 2 psp 1000s, a TI-82, and a bunch of games- $10

There was a bit of a lull where I didn't find much, then around noon when I decided to head home hit one last yard sale and found..

Tomba 2 & Digimon 1 for PS1- $2.5 each

Huge Game Gear Lot; console, car charger, spare battery pack, extra wide gear, power cable, ~25 games, and most of the manuals. -$25

& Hero Quest Board Game (missing one figure)- $2!

Thrilled to finally find a wild Tomba and have a reason to post on this board.

IMG_20130721_185908_zps8426723e.jpg

#632 robwhois   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   292 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

robwhois

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

After cleaning out 3 storage units in 3 days leading up to Saturday, I was thrilled to drive around and buy one thing at a time. Yesterday was one of my better days of the year. For only the 2nd time this year I found some decent game stuff (been REALLY dry by me). 

At my first yard sale a kid was selling a bunch of his unopened lego sets for $2-3 each. This older guy, definitely a dealer was buying a few when I got there but hadn't touched a few of them. So I took a look. I picked up a Star Wars set and the guy said "I'm buying that." I asked if he already bought it. He dodged the question. Just very rude. I asked the child's mother if the item was sold because the man wouldn't tell me. She said no, and I bought it for $2. I went to look at another set and the guy just says "you're too late on that one." I enjoy yard sales too much for one smug person to ruin it at all for me. Anyway.. the finds.

Power Rangers Board Game, Goosebumps Board Game & Micro Machines Super Auto World- $4 total

Fireball Island board game (complete!)-$4

N64 Console w/ 2 3rd party controllers, Mario Kart, Mario Party 1 & 2, and a few other games- $35

Pink DS Console w/ 4 games (one was Mario Kart), Brand New 22" LG Super LED Monitor, and Acer Netbook- $75 total

Another DS console complete in box- $20

Box w/ slim ps2, 2 psp 1000s, a TI-82, and a bunch of games- $10

There was a bit of a lull where I didn't find much, then around noon when I decided to head home hit one last yard sale and found..

Tomba 2 & Digimon 1 for PS1- $2.5 each

Huge Game Gear Lot; console, car charger, spare battery pack, extra wide gear, power cable, ~25 games, and most of the manuals. -$25

& Hero Quest Board Game (missing one figure)- $2!

Thrilled to finally find a wild Tomba and have a reason to post on this board.

IMG_20130721_185908_zps8426723e.jpg

Loved Heroquest as a kid, wish I still had my set and expansions to it. Pretty sure it goes for some decent money now

#633 corygbp   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   29 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

I picked up a $10 white Wii today without any controllers but it had all the cords and the sensor bar at a garage sale yesterday.  It came with Wii Sports and Kirby's Epic Yarn.  They wanted $5 more for the balance board and I left that behind but everyone I talk to says I should have picked that up too.

Check out my Youtube channel where I do weekly Tag sale pick up videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xod2win

#634 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   251 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Had a pretty busy weekend, so I was only able to go out for a little bit on Sunday. I managed to find an NES with a controller, zapper, and non-OEM cords w/ Bubble Bobble, Tetris, Yoshi's Cookie, and Wheel of Fortune for $20. A little more than I wanted to pay, but I was hungry to go home with at least something. I also won a lot at an estate auction that looks promising, and I'll be picking that up Tuesday.

#635 Ferrari Racer   Amiibo Wars: Wave 5 CAGiversary!   3473 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

The Gamecube cord I bought for $10 just sold for $160 on eBay. WTF LMAO!!!

#636 Olengie   Yukari & Rise are Best Girls. CAGiversary!   4888 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

People really want that HD for their Gamecube.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#637 Kaipper  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Finally went yard saling for the first time on Saturday and hit about five or six of them.

Bought all these at one sale:

-PS2 Batman Rise of Sin Tzu

-PS2 Spiderman 2

-PS2 Chessmaster

-PS2 Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal

-PS2 Men in Black 2 Alien Escape

-PS2 Star Ocean Till the End of Time

-PS2 GTA San Andreas

-PS2 Army Men RTS

-PS2 Call of Duty Finest Hour

-PS2 Enter the Matrix

-PS2 FFX-2 (no manual)

-XBOX Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (no manual)

-XBOX Fantastic 4

-PS2 Guitar Hero with guitar and carry case

All are complete except the two noted. There were also about ten sports games which I would have just left but he wanted $3 a game unless I was taking it all. Ended up paying $32 for all of it. Is that a good price or should I have haggled more?

Non-gaming finds:

Spoiler

#638 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3915 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Finally went yard saling for the first time on Saturday and hit about five or six of them.

-PS2 Spiderman 2

-PS2 Chessmaster

-PS2 GTA San Andreas

-PS2 Army Men RTS

-PS2 Enter the Matrix

-PS2 FFX-2 (no manual)

-XBOX Fantastic 4

All are complete except the two noted. There were also about ten sports games which I would have just left but he wanted $3 a game unless I was taking it all. Ended up paying $32 for all of it. Is that a good price or should I have haggled more?

Non-gaming finds:

Spoiler

yes, you overpaid, but if these are titles you will play, don't sweat it.

fyi just look these titles up on sold Ebay listings, knock off 25% without shipping

or the lowest price on Amazon and take off 30%

"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#639 Kaipper  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Thanks. I was going to play most of them - might try to sell the sports titles and one or two of the others in a lot to recoup some of it.

#640 crows in black   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

crows in black

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

People really want that HD for their Gamecube.

But wouldn't it be cheaper, or the same price, to just get a Wii with a component cable and play the GC games on the wii? Are people really paying $160 just to be able play Gameboy and GBA games in HD?! I would think the video quality on those wouldn't improve that much anyway since the picture is already being stretched out so much.

I went to a sale this weekend and this a-hole reseller I always run into was there. He is the guy that is ALWAYS showing up like 1-2 hours early to every sale and buying everything. A few years ago I found a stack of SNES games and as I looked thru them he says "I already bought those" then 5 minutes later he actually pays for them, so technically I could have still bought them but he straight up lied to make it sound like he paid for them already. Anyway, I came across another sale last weekend and there he is sitting in his car, at 8am for a sale that starts at 9am. The seller already had everything out in the yard so I just walked up and started looking, then of course the second I do that he RUNS out of his car and finds me looking through the box of games and he yells out "oh god DAMN it!" As I am digging through the box to see whats in there he is standing there with his arms crossed, huffing and puffing because he wants me to hurry up and leave. Eventually he fuckin' pushes me out of the way and literally pulls the box out of my hands and just takes every damn game out! It took me a second to process what was even happening, it was so bizarre, it was like being in a car wreck....I had a feeling like "did that seriously just happen?!"Before I even had a chance to realize what happened and go off on the guy, I hear him ask the price on the games and the seller wants $20 each for crappy N64 games that I wasn't even interested in, so I immediately didn't care anymore. I was like 5 seconds away from suplexing this idiot through a table right there in the driveway. The even dumber part was he actually ended up spending $150 on 8 common n64 games that weren't even worth 1/4 of what he paid

#641 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   2671 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

-PS2 Spiderman 2

-PS2 Chessmaster

-PS2 GTA San Andreas

-PS2 Army Men RTS

-PS2 Enter the Matrix

-PS2 FFX-2 (no manual)

-XBOX Fantastic 4

Ehhh... you definitely over-payed, but you could make your money back. Try not to jump on games just because you find them. Be patient, you'll eventually hit some good deals. Most of those games are pretty lackluster.

Those guitars... you see them everywhere. I literally see about an average of 10 guitar hero guitars every time i go out. Don't waste your money on them unless you want them for yourself.

But yea, if you see bundles with just a few decent titles (IE: FFX-2, Star Ocean) see if you can snag them for a buck or two. Pick and choose, don't buy the shovelware.

#642 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   251 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

But wouldn't it be cheaper, or the same price, to just get a Wii with a component cable and play the GC games on the wii? Are people really paying $160 just to be able play Gameboy and GBA games in HD?! I would think the video quality on those wouldn't improve that much anyway since the picture is already being stretched out so much.

I went to a sale this weekend and this a-hole reseller I always run into was there. He is the guy that is ALWAYS showing up like 1-2 hours early to every sale and buying everything. A few years ago I found a stack of SNES games and as I looked thru them he says "I already bought those" then 5 minutes later he actually pays for them, so technically I could have still bought them but he straight up lied to make it sound like he paid for them already. Anyway, I came across another sale last weekend and there he is sitting in his car, at 8am for a sale that starts at 9am. The seller already had everything out in the yard so I just walked up and started looking, then of course the second I do that he RUNS out of his car and finds me looking through the box of games and he yells out "oh god DAMN it!" As I am digging through the box to see whats in there he is standing there with his arms crossed, huffing and puffing because he wants me to hurry up and leave. Eventually he fuckin' pushes me out of the way and literally pulls the box out of my hands and just takes every damn game out! It took me a second to process what was even happening, it was so bizarre, it was like being in a car wreck....I had a feeling like "did that seriously just happen?!"Before I even had a chance to realize what happened and go off on the guy, I hear him ask the price on the games and the seller wants $20 each for crappy N64 games that I wasn't even interested in, so I immediately didn't care anymore. I was like 5 seconds away from suplexing this idiot through a table right there in the driveway. The even dumber part was he actually ended up spending $150 on 8 common n64 games that weren't even worth 1/4 of what he paid

The Essex/Dundalk area of Baltimore is absolutely lousy with these people. Most of them don't even care about the games, they're just looking for something they can buy at 6am then take to the local flea markets to resell (there's like 5 or 6 in the area). Unless you're willing to get up at 5am and shove people out of the way, it's just not worth it to venture down there.

#643 Ferrari Racer   Amiibo Wars: Wave 5 CAGiversary!   3473 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'm a reseller but mainly in audio equipment, but when it comes to gaming stuff I usually keep anything cool I find. Never encountered any resellers. My local Craigslist is full of them -_- Always had issues with lowballers when it came to selling there.

#644 jaydepps   CAGiversary! Lowball Ban   1330 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

There are these two resellers by me that put everything they want at the yard sale in a bag and make a ridiculously low offer to the seller without letting them look in the bag. If the seller wants to look in the bag and see what they grabbed, the two get really pissed off. They usually will grab about $40-$50 worth of stuff at yard sale prices and offer $20.

Check out my Indie gaming site for news, previews, reviews, and giveaways!

#645 Ferrari Racer   Amiibo Wars: Wave 5 CAGiversary!   3473 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

There are these two resellers by me that put everything they want at the yard sale in a bag and make a ridiculously low offer to the seller without letting them look in the bag. If the seller wants to look in the bag and see what they grabbed, the two get really pissed off. They usually will grab about $40-$50 worth of stuff at yard sale prices and offer $20.

If I saw people like that I'd call them out on Craigslist and warn everyone.

#646 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder/Archivist of Pop Culture CAGiversary!   11013 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm back. I am about a year behind on my posts. I'm on page 5 of this thread and I am looking forward to reading it all. I may even post  *ahem* a 'few' things. ;)

#647 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   1849 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Fallout 3
PS3

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

I'm back. I am about a year behind on my posts. I'm on page 5 of this thread and I am looking forward to reading it all. I may even post  *ahem* a 'few' things. ;)

Holy shit!!!  What happened to you?

I still have stuff to post from last fall.  We should have a race to see who can post the fastest.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#648 Mirpkered   Dyslexic GAC CAGiversary!   1126 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Welcome back! I've been wondering where you and SnotKnocker were. Haven't seen either for a long time.

#649 Olengie   Yukari & Rise are Best Girls. CAGiversary!   4888 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

WOOOO. He's back! 

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#650 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder/Archivist of Pop Culture CAGiversary!   11013 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

Went to some garage sales this past saturday with no luck at a bunch of sales. Finally came across this though.. CIB Gamecube, metal gear solid, and zelda guide for a total of $30

I probablly would've passed on the gamecube, but I opened it up and found this:
2iu9gy0.jpg

WOOOOOOOO

I dont know how to spoiler, but Wow nice find!! (I'm on page 6 now people and thanks for making me feel welcome!)

#651 Kovorkian   Judoka CAGiversary!   2654 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Spoiler

you put  spoiler   and /spoiler  in side of  [ , ]  before and after (respectively) on the things you wish to enclose in the spoiler.

Note this works with most other things as well,   b for bold   i for italics   u for underline

the end one is just /x  x being whatever the you used.

edit:

example [ b ]  and [ / b ]  without the spaces

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#652 strawyleader997   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   975 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

strawyleader997

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

I just bought a ton of stuff at a garage sale

Supaboy (complete)-$30

2 Conqueror PC/PS3 air keybords(complete)-$37 for both

2 FUS1ON PS3 tournament controllers(complete)-$26 for both

2 Pro Circuit xbox 360 tournament controllers(complete)-$50 for both

WWE All Stars Brawlstick xbox 360-$4

Tony Hawk Shred with board PS3-$4

xbox 360 wireless flight stick Cyborgear F.L.Y. 9-$23

Rockband 3 Pro Guitar Wii(complete)-$2

Wii balance board-$4

#653 ferant316   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   828 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Wow, I am flying on cloud nine right now. I went to pick up a sub for lunch and stumbled on a yard sale on my way back. It was mostly women's and children's clothes, but I did stumble on a Huggies Baby Wipe box full of DS games that she said her kids don't play anymore now that she got them a Playstation 3. I ended up spending a half hour looking through them all as there is easily over 100 games in the box, probably more like 120-150.

The highlights I found so far are: Pokemon Heartgold, Soulsilver, Platinum, Pearl, White, Black, all three Pokemon Rangers, all three Pokemon Dungeon Explorer, Animal Crossing Wild World, Digimon World Dusk and Dawn, Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks & Phantom Hourglass. She wanted $5 a game but I told her I would give her $300 for the whole box and that way she'd get rid of everything in one shot. We ended up settling on $375 which I am more than happy with as just those 18 I pulled out are worth almost that much. I am going through them all now and I will probably head over to Gamestop tonight with all the cheap games while the 50% bonus trade in is still going on.

#654 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   12480 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Game Boy Player isn't compatible with the Wii so if you want to play GBA games in the best way possible.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#655 Dreamcastguy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Dreamcastguy

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

I got some decent deals at the yearly neighborhood garage sale.

I got a PS2 with all the cords, controller and memory card for $2.  It seems to boot up normal PS2 games somewhat normally but it doesn't read the CD ones.

Other than that I got a FFX complete for $3.

And a really nice American made Crowbar for $1.  I missed out on an Oak table because some woman ran up and snapped it up when I went looking for the guy handing the sale.

Really nice deals but I miss being in an area where you can find more video game stuff.

#656 jk17866   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

There's a lady that sets up in front of her house about once a week near me. She usually has some different stuff evey week cause I think she cleans out houses or storage lockers or something. I bought a few decent games from her in the recent past, and finally she brought out her big box of nintendo stuff. Mostly all snes stuff except a few nes accessories. There's about 40 games or so. Unfortunately, there's a lot of sports games. But I did end up grabbing these for $3 a piece:

- Mega Man X, Battletoads/Double Dragon & Tetris Attack

I think I'm gonna go back tomorrow. I was with my brother and a friend and they were going through them too so might've missed something. I know there's a Super Ghouls n Ghosts I'll at least grab probably.

#657 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder/Archivist of Pop Culture CAGiversary!   11013 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Spoiler

ok so html still works, no button anymore though? Oh and i am just going to start liking people's posts since i am so far behind instead of quoting. :)

Edit: I got rained out today, yesterday I bought some decent comics for $10, a metal muppets lunchbox for $1, and a n64 rumble pack for .25 which has corroded batteries in it. bleh. .

on pg 20

#658 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   251 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

PS2 games somewhat normally but it doesn't read the CD ones.

That's not too tough of a fix. Just gotta open it up, clean the lens, then use the cog to adjust its position until it can read the various types of discs you want.

#659 Kovorkian   Judoka CAGiversary!   2654 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

ok so html still works, no button anymore though? Oh and i am just going to start liking people's posts since i am so far behind instead of quoting. :)

Edit: I got rained out today, yesterday I bought some decent comics for $10, a metal muppets lunchbox for $1, and a n64 rumble pack for .25 which has corroded batteries in it. bleh. .

on pg 20

hit the light switch in the upper left cornor of the box, flips between showing code and finished product

and that's the way I always did spoilers  :ziplip:

Edited by Kovorkian, 26 July 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#660 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

on pg 20

A little rain never hurts, ha ha. I got soaked this morning but got solid stuff.

Gba sp with charger, 5 random games. $10.00 Keeping Airforce Delta Storm

Crash Bash complete $00.50

Disc only Marvel Super Heroes, Spider Man 2, Monkey Hero, Area 51, Spyro and Spyro 2. For PS1 all $1.00 each.

Justice League Task Force Genesis $1.00

De Blob Wii, Blast Works Wii, and Worms Blast GC for $8.00.

Punch Out, Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii all Wii all $5.00 each.
www.vg-force.com