Pre orders for Gundam the Origin Vol. 1 closing Fri. 1/11

KingofKnights

CAG Newbie
Here's a tweet from the publisher https://twitter.com/Vertical_Ed/status/287439931398303745

Not sure if we have any manga/Gundam fans on here but i thought I'd share this. This is a manga series that will be released over the course of three years in 11 hard cover volumes with LOTS of colored pages in each volume. First volume will include an essay from Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion creator) and will be released in March. Basically this is a re-imagining of the first series and the art is just beautiful. Each volume will only have about 3,500 units printed so pre order before it's too late because there will be no reprints.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-G...ie=UTF8&qid=1357611575&sr=1-1&keywords=gundam

Price seems absurd for hardcover with that page count. Any more info outside that tweet?

Edit: Like it will charge in January, and then they will print and ship it to me? Amazon is cool with that? Hmm. Sounds like a cool thing, and the buy-in isn't so much that I'd rather check it out and if I don't want to continue I can pass on to someone else since the runs are limited. Edit, nevermind. I see now it is listed as March, they just don't want to print more copies than they have pre-orders. Obviously people can still cancel orders, but I guess they cut down on excess stock that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a VERY limited edition oversized manga with 442 pages (many of those pages being in color which is unusual for a manga) in what is teased to be a really nice hard cover (can't find the tweet for this) for about $20 i'd say that's a not too shabby deal. Imagine having this bad boy spanning 11 volumes on your shelf. Each volume will supposedly have different extras including posters, fan art from famous people in the industry to essays like the one in first volume from Hideaki Anno. I guess if you're into this kind of thing, the value will go up over years because they will only be printing a little more than the pre order count for each volume.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Price seems absurd for hardcover with that page count. Any more info outside that tweet?

Edit: Like it will charge in January, and then they will print and ship it to me? Amazon is cool with that? Hmm. Sounds like a cool thing, and the buy-in isn't so much that I'd rather check it out and if I don't want to continue I can pass on to someone else since the runs are limited. Edit, nevermind. I see now it is listed as March, they just don't want to print more copies than they have pre-orders. Obviously people can still cancel orders, but I guess they cut down on excess stock that way.[/QUOTE]

Aside from paying more for printing extra copies that won't sell right away, you have to figure in the cost of paying for warehouse fees for the housing of the extra stock. The budget for this release is already pretty big as well so there's that too.

Thanks for the heads up, OP. Honestly, I'm not really a fan of Gundam and the art doesn't seem that great to me, at least from looking at the first volume. I'm a sucker for limited print runs, though, and it seems like the printing quality will be pretty nice, so I'm in for one.

To clarify, when you say 'oversized', do you mean oversized like a comic book, where it's taller and wider? Or oversized as in omnibus, since it's over 400 pages?

Edit: How do we know there will be no reprints, though?

Edit again: Found this.

Thanks OP. I am going to give this a shot. Haven't read any of the manga, but have seen almost all the shows.

[quote name='slainviper']Thanks for the heads up, OP. Honestly, I'm not really a fan of Gundam and the art doesn't seem that great to me, at least from looking at the first volume. I'm a sucker for limited print runs, though, and it seems like the printing quality will be pretty nice, so I'm in for one.

To clarify, when you say 'oversized', do you mean oversized like a comic book, where it's taller and wider? Or oversized as in omnibus, since it's over 400 pages?

Edit: How do we know there will be no reprints, though?

Edit again: Found this.[/QUOTE]

They are bigger than your average manga volume. Here is the Japanese aizoban edition.

https://twitter.com/i/#!/Vertical_Ed/media/slideshow?url=http://yfrog.com/hsu4mdtaj

Our version is still being approved by Yas. It will be different but Ed Chavez(marketing director of Vertical) hinted that he really liked it.

3,500 seems like a lot of units for something like this, but I like Gundam and I'm a sucker for hardcover, so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks OP, was never a huge manga fan, only really watch 1-2 anime a year now and I've never seen the original mobile suit anime in its entirety but I'm in for one, sounds like it will be an awesome set!

I put in a pre-order. Not sure about supply or demand, but based on the twitter feed they seem disappointed by the expected run of 5,000. Not sure if they feel that is low, or they just expected more because of Gundam, or that they can't exceed that number for 13 printings. Pics of the Japanese set look nice, and although this one will be different, it should also be nice. I also think the artwork is pretty nice based on some (probably not quite legal) scans that I saw online in order to check it out.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know. Never would have seen this otherwise.

Thanks, just happy to spread the love by sharing this release with others who might want it. The only thing you have to worry about is pre ordering before the deadlines. After that you aren't guaranteed a copy just because you can still click pre order. As for the 5,000 print run, they were initially expecting to make 3,500 to 4,500 copies so I thinks it's all good. I hope you checked out the battle sequences, the panels and they way they flow into the next panel is just breathtaking. It's like you're watching the anime. If I am thinking of the same scans you're referring to, imagine those pages being in color.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']I put in a pre-order. Not sure about supply or demand, but based on the twitter feed they seem disappointed by the expected run of 5,000. Not sure if they feel that is low, or they just expected more because of Gundam, or that they can't exceed that number for 13 printings. Pics of the Japanese set look nice, and although this one will be different, it should also be nice. I also think the artwork is pretty nice based on some (probably not quite legal) scans that I saw online in order to check it out.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know. Never would have seen this otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, just happy to spread the love by sharing this release with others who might want it. The only thing you have to worry about is pre ordering before the deadlines. After that you aren't guaranteed a copy just because you can still click pre order. As for the 5,000 print run, they were initially expecting to make 3,500 to 4,500 copies so I thinks it's all good. I hope you checked out the battle sequences, the panels and they way they flow into the next panel is just breathtaking. It's like you're watching the anime. If I am thinking of the same scans you're referring to, imagine those pages in color.

Just bumping this to let everyone know the first four volumes of these are now up for pre-order on Amazon. The 4th doesn't come out till December, and right now it's $30, which is nearly double what the others are currently selling for.

Ouch! I hadn't noticed that. And it's a less pages than the previously 3 as well. Hmm. I guess I am stopping at 3 and need to ponder whether or not I need to cancel the 3 pre-orders if I'm not going to be bothering to get the whole set.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just bumping this to let everyone know the first four volumes of these are now up for pre-order on Amazon. The 4th doesn't come out till December, and right now it's $30, which is nearly double what the others are currently selling for.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that, like the other three, the prices will come down as people pre-order. They have all MSRP'd at $29.95.

[quote name='doctordoom']Don't worry about that, like the other three, the prices will come down as people pre-order. They have all MSRP'd at $29.95.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is something that's 9 months away, the price will get lower. No need to cancel your preorder for the first three.

Hopefully, though it worries me that the others started out below MSRP and this one did not. But I decided to let the first volume come before I make the call.

[quote name='crowbb']Hopefully, though it worries me that the others started out below MSRP and this one did not. But I decided to let the first volume come before I make the call.[/QUOTE]

i see no need to worry, amazon likes to put stuff up way early, think this happened with vol 3 the publisher didnt even know it was up for pre order.

also if you guys are interested i suggest pre ordering vinland saga. Hardcover, 464 pages , and for 11.50

http://www.amazon.com/Vinland-Saga-1-Makoto-Yukimura/dp/1612624200/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Yeah I got mine yesterday, though I haven't opened it yet. A little dented in the corners, but that's par for the course with amazon these days.

bread's done
Back