Atari flashback 40th anniversary edition at Walgreens $24.99

Tendoboy

CAGiversary!
Hope this is not going to be a repost but I went in to get the Genesis tv game and found the Atari Flashback 4 ....40th anniversary and bought that instead regular $49.99 just FYI

Might want to add YMMV, I work for Walgreens and we clearanced these out a long time ago, along with the Sonic ones.

Kroger had these for $29.99 at Christmas. Limited amount per store. Got one.

They were selling for nearly $50 on ebay at that time so could be flappable.

[quote name='NinjaGuerra']does it come with those awesome posters? :O

and where is the link :( i cant find it lol[/QUOTE]

Both will be in store only --- and likely YMMV,

i went in looking for this....http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/se...ng-interactive-console/ID=prod6109656-product

it was posted here earlier this am - when I went in the store they had the flashbacks....went to 3 stores in Savannah area and they all had some in the photo dept.

I just looked on-line and it isnt anywhere - the Genesis is actually an older version in the store that the one on the website.....needless to say - both will ring up 1/2 price.

ALSO - read this article on the Genesis....http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/content.php?198-Review-Sega-Genesis-Motion-Arcade-(TV-Game)

These were $30 at a few drugstores for the entire month before Christmas. Also, walmart seems to sell the 3.0 for $30, so probably will do the same with this eventually. Got mine for $25 at TRU on BF, but not sure if it's really worth it other than the nostalgia factor of looking at the console.

No luck with the Atari, but my local Walgreens had a few of the Segas on hand at $14.99. I picked one up, but am kinda debating keeping it.

[quote name='sp00ge']No luck with the Atari, but my local Walgreens had a few of the Segas on hand at $14.99. I picked one up, but am kinda debating keeping it.[/QUOTE]

only 15 bucks? O_O im tempted to look now, still havent checked xD

at 15 bucks it seems like a steal after reading that it runs .bin roms off the sd card :O

[quote name='NinjaGuerra']only 15 bucks? O_O im tempted to look now, still havent checked xD

at 15 bucks it seems like a steal after reading that it runs .bin roms off the sd card :O[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the biggest drawback for me is it's only composite output, which sucks for me since I wanted to use it at my computer desk and the PS3D display is HDMI and Component-only. My main TV is wall mounted and about 15-20' from the couch, and these controllers have a max range (according to the manual) of ~13'.

I'm sure I can manage to rig it up somehow, but making it not look like ass is another thing.

[quote name='Blumpkin']It's too bad that they aren't compatible with the old cartridges. I'd definitely be in for one if they did.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you can mod the Flashback 2 version to accept actual cartridges. (It's the only one that can do that, since the others are emulated.)

Found the flashback 4 at a local dollar general for $39. It was behind the register on a shelf (last one). There are apparently 2 versions of the flashback 4....one with just one poster and 2 wireless controllers (which is the one I got) and a deluxe flashback 4 with FIVE posters and it also includes 2 wired paddle controllers!....man I wish I found that one. Trying to decide if I want to keep this or return it.

I decided to hook up the Sega to my big TV (I forgot I have an AV receiver hooked up for my non-HD systems) and I'm still on the fence. So far I've only tried Sonic 2 of the built-in games and the audio sounds off. I don't know if it's just bad emulation or what, but having put alot of time into that game over the years, the incorrect sound just stands out and annoys me.

On the plus side, the one review of it says the files to be .BIN files on the SD card, and that is incorrect. I had a few .GEN files laying around from my "less honest" years, threw them on the SD card and they worked nicely. The audio sound about right too.

I haven't tested the range of the controllers yet, since I just sat on the floor in front of the TV when I tested it. If they work when I'm back on the couch, I'm sure I'll keep it.

The sound emulation on the Atgames Genesis clones is really horrible, they've been like that for years and they seem to have no interest in fixing it. Pity.

The controllers on the Flashback suuuuuuck. They use "line of sight infrared." If your controller is not pointing at the front of the console, it doesn't work. I often sit with my legs crossed and my foot kept getting in the way. They also feel crazy cheap with too much play.

The games all have the orig game modes, a nice menu screen, and the emulation feels pretty good, except for the controllers.

That being said, it does have 2 standard controller ports on the front. Add two new 2600 controllers from ebay, along with some Genesis extension cables (same connector, believe or not), and then your playing with power! Or not.

I decided to return the Atari Flashback 4. I did find at another Dollar General a Sega Genesis Classic Game Console which has 40 genesis games and 40 throw away mini games. It has 2 wireless controllers and 2 ports to use regular Genesis controllers. What sold me is that it has a cartridge slot that will accept almost all Genesis and Mega Drive (import Genesis for those who don't know) games. It was $40

Here is the complete list of Genesis games: Alex Kidd, Alien Storm, Altered Beast, Arrow Flash, Bonanza Brothers, Chakan, Columns, Columns 3, Comix Zone, Crack Down, Decap Attack, Ecco, Ecco 2, Ecco Jr., E-Swat, Eternal Champions, Fatal Labyrinth, Flicky, Gain Ground, Golden Axe (all three), Jewel Master, Kid Chameleon, Mean Bean Machine, Ristar, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, Sonic the Hedgehog (1 & 2), Streets of Rage (all 3), The Ooze, Vectorman (1 & 2), and Virtua Fighter 2.

For anyone that found one of these Flashback units at Walgreens, whereabouts in the store was it located? I checked a couple of Walgreens for one of these and came up empty. I looked in the toy aisle, a clearance endcap in the back of the store and the front near the photo section where they have some electronics.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Wow, is it possible to feel any older? 40th anniversary?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you remember playing atari when the system first came out, you are definitely over 40 :whistle2:(

[quote name='ecwfan']For anyone that found one of these Flashback units at Walgreens, whereabouts in the store was it located? I checked a couple of Walgreens for one of these and came up empty. I looked in the toy aisle, a clearance endcap in the back of the store and the front near the photo section where they have some electronics.[/QUOTE]

In the photo section but behind the counter, meaning you have to ask an employee/manager to get it for you.

That was the case for the Walgreens by me.

[quote name='sicsonic']In the photo section but behind the counter, meaning you have to ask an employee/manager to get it for you.

That was the case for the Walgreens by me.[/QUOTE]

The Sega I found was in the holiday/clearance aisle, in the middle of the store.

[quote name='bruceg']Yeah, if you remember playing atari when the system first came out, you are definitely over 40 :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Yeah, I still have my original Atari, I was with my parents when they bought it at Kmart for $124.99 (big money then), or course VCR's were like $600.

I have the Atari Flashback 2 and now the 4 with this one....I like the corded controllers better. I wish I could find a collection of all the Imagic games (like Atlantis, Cosmic Ark, Demon Attack, Fathom, etc)

Activision and Imagic made the best games overall, vs the Atari poop. I also have the Activision Anthology for the PS2 - it has Demon attack and Atlantis....Does anyone know of any other compilations that might have more (better) selection ???

According to this link, you can mode this to play the cartridges - http://atarimuseum.com/fb2hacks/

Here's the wiki of the Flashback series - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback

I wonder if there is a way to run roms on it....

[quote name='Tendoboy']I wonder if there is a way to run roms on it....[/QUOTE]

Easy 2600 Emulation = Wii Homebrew Channel

Hardcore 2600 Emulation = Melody Cart

A Melody cart ain't cheap ($99), but you can put everything on it, and still use your original hardware.

The most complete version of Activision Anthology for the GBA one, but you can't get any other Imagic games without going to EMU route.

I just picked up the Atari Flashback 4 for $9.99 at Rite Aid. It wasn't tagged but other items on the shelf were tagged for 75% off so I took it to the register to see what it would ring up for.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I just picked up the Atari Flashback 4 for $9.99 at Rite Aid. It wasn't tagged but other items on the shelf were tagged for 75% off so I took it to the register to see what it would ring up for.[/QUOTE]

I hit all the Rit- Aids in my area, they all told me they were sold out before Christmas...so great find....

Found some more at another Walgreens today, but it rang up for $49.99, so may not be 1/2 off any longer?

bread's done
Back