- - - - -

Xenoblade Chronicles

#871 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Seems like it. To be honest if I ever do play this game it's going to be once I get a PC powerful enough to emulate it. I won't be paying a ridiculous price for a game that cost $50 at launch.

kudos justifying stealing

#872 moothemagiccow   Tall buildings shake Silenced   1075 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

moothemagiccow

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

I find it really odd that demand for the game has risen now that GS no longer carries it. It didnt fly off the shelves at launch. Why does everyone want to play it a year later?
3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#873 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

I find it really odd that demand for the game has risen now that GS no longer carries it. It didnt fly off the shelves at launch. Why does everyone want to play it a year later?

i think people were under some false illusion that this game was not going to become rare and was going to somehow become 10 dollars at some point despite all the signs were there that this was not going to happen.

now people for some reason think this will get an HD remake on the Wii U.

while this game deserves better than it got the facts are nintendo barely cares and the all evil satanic corporation gamestop is the one that footed the bill.

as for me. i bought two copies. one i played and enjoyed aside from the terrible story ending. and the other that i sold on ebay for 130 dollars a few months ago.

#874 io   ... Super Moderators   23403 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Wow, none within 100 miles of me at GS. I picked one up used to play about a year ago when I noticed it wasn't quite so common any more. It was only $40 or so and I got it as part of a B2G1. They also still had new copies for sale then.

I could never part with that copy - but I wish I had noticed the signs you speak of and gotten a sealed one when I had the chance. It did skyrocket pretty fast there as it definitely wasn't a hot item just a year ago. Looks like maybe last Fall it shot up?

#875 ArmyOfFun  

ArmyOfFun

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

i think people were under some false illusion that this game was not going to become rare and was going to somehow become 10 dollars at some point despite all the signs were there that this was not going to happen.

Like me! This game was on the periphery of my radar, so I didn't know it was a Nintendo/GS exclusive. I figured there would be some point it could be had for $15 or less which is my usual game purchase price. I didn't catch wind of its rarity until this thread was in the main deals forum and by then it was too late. Oh well.

#876 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Nintendo has abandoned the Wii.

With all WiiUs being backwards compatible, a reprint isn't too far fetched. Maybe they'll do a New Play Control to pair with the sequel.

#877 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   1489 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Crap, I didn't even realize the resale value for this title had spiked so strongly. Now I'm doubly glad that I picked it up when it was first available for $50. My copy is brand new and hardly touched. Just one of the benefits of having a job and disposable income. (and being single, I suppose)

I just picked up a copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia: Victory yesterday for $50 for the same reason. The copies of the first game's collectors edition skyrocketed, and the copy I acquired for $60 is now worth twice that much. The highly obscure Japanese titles that don't get much press are a good choice for picking up for full price. (if just to hedge against ridiculous used prices)

#878 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1619 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I don't think this game hit a mass hysteria purchase point until about Jan-Feb of this year (coinciding with this thread creation, hrmm). I remember because in December I bought a used copy when GS was doing the Buy 6 games, get 30% off everything deal, which I ended up getting five cheap games and Xenoblade, which came out to about $32 for it.

I knew they were common enough then because I remember finding a mint copy at another GS and performing the switch, and even seeing a few "new" copies on the shelves as well.

People were just waiting for a lower price point, and it never dropped below $45 used. The good news is that (barring some magical reprint or HD rerelease) even if you plunk down $90+ on Ebay, at least you can get most of your money back with its steady resale value after you're done with it.

#879 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

With all WiiUs being backwards compatible, a reprint isn't too far fetched. Maybe they'll do a New Play Control to pair with the sequel.

it would be nice but the way nintendo treated this is a tragedy of the gaming world. This game should of sold so much more and should not be rare. this was easily THE rpg of last gen(or current gen??).

i sadly dont see a reprint or redo in HD as much as that would make me need new underwear. that said at least nintendo seems to kind of care now what with that mysterious game X that looks similar to xenoblade.

i admit i followed this game kind of close so maybe thats why i saw this thing being rare and valuable. but still didnt take a lot of following to pick up on that.

#880 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   19939 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

it would be nice but the way nintendo treated this is a tragedy of the gaming world. This game should of sold so much more and should not be rare. this was easily THE rpg of last gen(or current gen??).

i sadly dont see a reprint or redo in HD as much as that would make me need new underwear. that said at least nintendo seems to kind of care now what with that mysterious game X that looks similar to xenoblade.

i admit i followed this game kind of close so maybe thats why i saw this thing being rare and valuable. but still didnt take a lot of following to pick up on that.

Given that they're finally giving Earthbound another chance, I'd say they might give Xenoblade a reprint or re-release at some point, probably around Xenoblade 2.

But since the Wii U's lackluster performance thus far, which will probably get worse when the X1 and PS4 come out, they might become even more risk adverse.

Currently playing: 

:ps4: Last of Us Remastered - :applause: 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#881 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Given that they're finally giving Earthbound another chance, I'd say they might give Xenoblade a reprint or re-release at some point, probably around Xenoblade 2.

But since the Wii U's lackluster performance thus far, which will probably get worse when the X1 and PS4 come out, they might become even more risk adverse.

that depends on the price of X1 and ps4 and well at least on gaming boards the X1 is receiving perhaps the biggest backlash I have ever seen on gaming boards about anything. though i do realize X1 has a heavy appeal to the all mighty casual market so it will be interesting to see.

the Wii U will sell the instant smash bros comes out or a sweet glorious 1080 Zelda shows up. i am hoping the lackluster sales will provoke a Zelda U sooner than later.

i do disagree about xenoblade or X being a risk. Xenoblade could of mopped the floor with FF or any other big named RPG had it ya know been advertised and printed en mass. whats not to love? a 100 hour open world beautiful RPG with an epic story. xenoblade just proves nintendo sucks at advertising had this been microsoft or sony Xenoblade would of sold millions.

#882 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   19939 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

Regardless of the price or feelings against the new systems, the X1 and PS4 will sell better than the Wii U did at launch. The Wii U isn't selling because gamers don't see it as next gen and casual people don't see anything new about it (or are confused about the system/screen).

And of course gamers won't see Xenoblade as a risk because we want good games. Nintendo wants games that will sell... that's why we saw so many casual games and Mario plastered everywhere. But to them, if the casual market didn't want it, they didn't care. If it wasn't for GS, it probably wouldn't have been released here. You can advertise the hell out of something and it can still fail to meet sales expectations (see: basically anything from Square Enix over the last year).

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#883 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   8529 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

i really wouldnt count on xone doing very well at launch.

Want Amazon Prime for cheap? Send me a message for info.

Deader2818.png

#884 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

i really wouldnt count on xone doing very well at launch.

Same.

#885 io   ... Super Moderators   23403 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

It all depends on price. If all this tech makes them come in at $500 (even at a subsidized loss for MS and Sony) then they probably won't sell tons. I'd still think they would sell more than the Wii U did initially. However, I think the Wii U will see a surge of sales this Fall once the games come out and will hold its own - especially if the price gap is pretty big between them and Sony/MS. And if Nintendo doesn't push BC and no used game restrictions big-time in their marketing this Fall, then they are idiots. At the very least, they can market the Wii U as an upgrade for the Wii system since it will play all those same games. Space (both physically and aesthetically) is a premium for a lot of people so being able to replace (and get rid of) the old system without losing anything is a plus. MS and Sony can't make that claim. I know Nintendo sent out messages to old Wii systems about this, but they need to do more than that.

And that reminds me, I need to sell my old Gamecube-compatible Wii soon before the value of that drops even more... (And yeah, I realize that a lot of people will lose GC-playing capability if they ditch their Wii system, but I figure we are far enough from that system that it won't be a huge deal for most people. We still have our original GC connected to the TV so ditching the Wii is no problem for us).

#886 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

Regardless of the price or feelings against the new systems, the X1 and PS4 will sell better than the Wii U did at launch. The Wii U isn't selling because gamers don't see it as next gen and casual people don't see anything new about it (or are confused about the system/screen).

And of course gamers won't see Xenoblade as a risk because we want good games. Nintendo wants games that will sell... that's why we saw so many casual games and Mario plastered everywhere. But to them, if the casual market didn't want it, they didn't care. If it wasn't for GS, it probably wouldn't have been released here. You can advertise the hell out of something and it can still fail to meet sales expectations (see: basically anything from Square Enix over the last year).

the thing of it is though is that xenoblade is mostly loved and received very little hate overall. xenoblade honestly could have sold systems to the right crowd if there was just any advertising at all by nintendo. xenoblade is easily one of the best if not the best rpg of that gen. its really not hard to advertise that kind of a game and get it to sell systems. nintendo just flat out dropped the ball.

square enixs failures are for entirely different reasons. backlash against FF13 so they instead make a sequel and now a trilogy. and FF-14 of course i heard was a bit of a failure. remaking FF-10 and 10-2 versus FF-7 that everyone has begged for.

i will say the Wii U is looking mighty fine at this point once the games roll around. all it needs a system seller. it has no used game BS, its BC, your stuff transfers over, it has some of the social media stuff, can plug in any sized HDD, and its noticably cheaper. there are other things. it at the very least blows the X1 away. the ps4 maybe less so but i think the Wii U is easily the best of the new three systems because it just has less BS attached to it.

It all depends on price. If all this tech makes them come in at $500 (even at a subsidized loss for MS and Sony) then they probably won't sell tons. I'd still think they would sell more than the Wii U did initially. However, I think the Wii U will see a surge of sales this Fall once the games come out and will hold its own - especially if the price gap is pretty big between them and Sony/MS. And if Nintendo doesn't push BC and no used game restrictions big-time in their marketing this Fall, then they are idiots. At the very least, they can market the Wii U as an upgrade for the Wii system since it will play all those same games. Space (both physically and aesthetically) is a premium for a lot of people so being able to replace (and get rid of) the old system without losing anything is a plus. MS and Sony can't make that claim. I know Nintendo sent out messages to old Wii systems about this, but they need to do more than that.

And that reminds me, I need to sell my old Gamecube-compatible Wii soon before the value of that drops even more... (And yeah, I realize that a lot of people will lose GC-playing capability if they ditch their Wii system, but I figure we are far enough from that system that it won't be a huge deal for most people. We still have our original GC connected to the TV so ditching the Wii is no problem for us).

i agree that will sell this system which is kind of sad that that is now a system seller point. if this system can just get a few killer Apps and smooth out the online and have a good turtle beach headset come out for it this system will blow the other two away. honestly i didnt think nintendo going the less powerful route again with a new gimmick again could do this but they are sadly despite the lackluster start of the system they are now a few moves away from checkmate. i know for me after these two system reveals i am honestly probably not going to them at launch if at all. the Wii U and 360 will be where i be spending my time. i went from regretting my Wii U purchase to now not regretting all in a month.

well played nintendo....well played.

#887 ArmyOfFun  

ArmyOfFun

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Quick note on that, a Wii is probably the easiest way to play GC games in 480p (for games that support it). A quick search shows there's finally 3rd party cables that might let you do 480p with a GC (news to me). Prior to that, the GC component cables were getting incredibly expensive. Plus, your GC may or may not even support component cables - I thought Nintendo removed that port from later GC revisions, but I'm too lazy to verify.

#888 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2195 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Just got lucky and snagged a full copy on half.com for $63.

#889 Kev Cypunk   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   237 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Kev Cypunk

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

kudos justifying stealing

As much of a crime as charging $300 for a game I suppose.

#890 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   6601 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

I miss when this thread was about Xenoblade Chronicles.

#891 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

As much of a crime as charging $300 for a game I suppose.

thats not really stealing though. its 300 dollars cause people are willing to pay 300 dollars for it

#892 Kev Cypunk   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   237 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Kev Cypunk

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

thats not really stealing though. its 300 dollars cause people are willing to pay 300 dollars for it

Really? Who are these suckers uhh I mean "people" and where can I get a hold of them? I'm thinking of starting a lemonade stand and charging $10 a cup.

#893 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   8529 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Really? Who are these suckers uhh I mean "people" and where can I get a hold of them? I'm thinking of starting a lemonade stand and charging $10 a cup.

Ebay.

Want Amazon Prime for cheap? Send me a message for info.

Deader2818.png

#894 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

I traded my copy in last year, I had no clue it was that rare or I probably would've sold it on ebay. Oh well...

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#895 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8527 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

I miss when this thread was about Xenoblade Chronicles.

lol... We could start talking about operation rainfall and figure out who donated and who overpaid for the game because they were waiting for a "price drop."

#896 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3247 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

lol... We could start talking about operation rainfall and figure out who donated and who overpaid for the game because they were waiting for a "price drop."

I don't get why anybody would wait for a price drop on a first party Nintendo game ever. It's extremely uncommon.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#897 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   19939 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

I don't get why anybody would wait for a price drop on a first party Nintendo game ever. It's extremely uncommon.

I doubt most people knew about this game until it became rare and now stands to reach cult status.

And most Nintendo titles that don't drop in price are the Mario, Zelda, Mario sports, Pokemons, etc. series. The lesser known series (DK, Kirby, Metroid) and even some of the very popular, but non-marquee stuff (Professor Layton) go on sale/get price drops every now and then.

I agree though, this thread's way derailed... I think the pages not talking about the game exceeds the pages talking about game.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#898 Danger Zone: Archer   Not really here. CAGiversary!   2638 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

Danger Zone: Archer

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

I actually found a copy out here in Downtown LA in a mom & pops electronic store, i asked them how much they were selling it for. They said, "$300." for the game. I was expecting $60, i just walked out from the store.

Than this pop in my head -

"you better give me sum sucky-sucky..."

50kermit.gif

#899 Kev Cypunk   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   237 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Kev Cypunk

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

I found a recently made petition asking Nintendo for a Xenoblade reprint. I'm afraid I can't post links so if you're interested google "operation monado". Before you pass it off as a waste of time consider that Nintendo listens to these kinds of things which is how operation rainfall succeeded in the first place. It's very much a possibility if it gets the right amount of signatures.

#900 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3247 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

I found a recently made petition asking Nintendo for a Xenoblade reprint. I'm afraid I can't post links so if you're interested google "operation monado". Before you pass it off as a waste of time consider that Nintendo listens to these kinds of things which is how operation rainfall succeeded in the first place. It's very much a possibility if it gets the right amount of signatures.

Operation rainfall succeeded in nothing other than lying to get money on false promises of collector cases. That being said...

Go easy on him fellas, he's new.