Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis: Special Edition (Blu-ray) $8.45

Huh, I didn't realize that the 1984 version got a blu ray release. Thanks for the heads up, Masterkyo. At $8.45, it'll sit happily next to my copy of The Complete Metropolis.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Huh, I didn't realize that the 1984 version got a blu ray release. Thanks for the heads up, Masterkyo. At $8.45, it'll sit happily next to my copy of The Complete Metropolis.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading reviews and it looks like The Complete Metropolis is superior in every way. Should I skip out on this?

[quote name='chronoserge456']I've been reading reviews and it looks like The Complete Metropolis is superior in every way. Should I skip out on this?[/QUOTE]
You should think of them as two separate, completely different films. The original, complete version is the best version you'll find of the original Fritz Lang film (There's some interesting history on the various "completeness" of the film through the years).

This version was released in 1984 by splicing together film from some of the various surviving versions. The composer (Moroder) completely redid the score using electronic and pop music for the soundtrack. It includes stuff by Freddie Mercury and Pat Benatar.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']You should think of them as two separate, completely different films. The original, complete version is the best version you'll find of the original Fritz Lang film (There's some interesting history on the various "completeness" of the film through the years).

This version was released in 1984 by splicing together film from some of the various surviving versions. The composer (Moroder) completely redid the score using electronic and pop music for the soundtrack. It includes stuff by Freddie Mercury and Pat Benatar.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the in depth explanation! Looks like I'll be picking up this copy then. Thank you too OP!

[quote name='ssjmichael']make sure to check out some vids on youtube before buying this. Don't think this is anything close to the original.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, people should think of the Moroder version as an extras disc that includes an alternate cut of the film (like if Blade Runner or Dawn of the Dead released some of their various versions individually). If you haven't seen the original film, you probably shouldn't be watching this version.

The exception of course, would be if the idea of watching a film from 1927 with a musical score from 1984 is the entire reason you'd be interested. ;)

I noticed both the Moroder version and the original "Complete" version are also on Netflix in HD. They're the Kino versions, just like the BD releases (though of course not as good looking)

Who is more reputable, Overstock deals or Newbury Comics?
(I don't like shady sellers that re-seal games etc. like Hitgaming)

[quote name='PublikDefender']Who is more reputable, Overstock deals or Newbury Comics?
(I don't like shady sellers that re-seal games etc. like Hitgaming)[/QUOTE]

I've never bought anything from Overstock, but I love Newbury Comics. We have a few of them in my area, and everything I've ever bought from them has been in perfect condition (both in-store and online). I may just have excellent luck with them, but they're very reputable in my experience.

[quote name='Nesmaster75']I've never bought anything from Overstock, but I love Newbury Comics. We have a few of them in my area, and everything I've ever bought from them has been in perfect condition (both in-store and online). I may just have excellent luck with them, but they're very reputable in my experience.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll buy it from Newbury and support their company!

Arrgh!

Amazon slapped one of their stickers they use for Warehouse Deals directly on my slipcover so that they could tell it was "new." :roll: I carefully pulled up part of it and saw a big silver patch where the cover was ripped away from the foil underneath. >_>

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Arrgh!

Amazon slapped one of their stickers they use for Warehouse Deals directly on my slipcover so that they could tell it was "new." :roll: I carefully pulled up part of it and saw a big silver patch where the cover was ripped away from the foil underneath. >_>[/QUOTE]

Sigh I just opened up my copy and found the dreaded sticker. I started to peel it and all looked well up until I saw the chunk coming apart. No choice but to leave it on...

That sucks. Not sure if there's any way to remove it without damaging it. I've heard using a hair dryer or other types of direct heat might work to moisten the glue and make it come off easier but I've never tried that.

[quote name='PublikDefender']Who is more reputable, Overstock deals or Newbury Comics?
(I don't like shady sellers that re-seal games etc. like Hitgaming)[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that Hitgaming resealed games. Thanks for the heads up! Any other sellers to be wary of?

bread's done
Back