Working at Radioshack?

cereal_killerxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
So I have an interview in about 2 hours at my local Radioshack. Have any of you heard anything positive or negative about working for the company? Any feedback at all would be helpful.

I worked as an ASM about 10 years ago. I heard commission rates have gone down big time in the past few years. Considering it's been so long I know my information is out of date.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I worked as an ASM about 10 years ago. I heard commission rates have gone down big time in the past few years. Considering it's been so long I know my information is out of date.[/QUOTE]

I see. Well, my biggest concern is with the commission. This economy is not very good right now, so if I'm not able to sell very many items per day, will I get canned?

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Stand around and do nothing.[/QUOTE]
That is exactly what they do.

They have some really good employees, the guys that are there from 9-5 are usually pretty good, but that is my work hours. The kids they get in the evening suck.

I actually went there to buy a camera this Christmas. Specifically some $80 Nikon Coolpix.

The price was the same at Target, Staples, and Radio Shack. There are 2 Radio Shacks between me and Target, 1 more between Target and Staples.

Radio Shack 1 has 2 dudes snoodling over their phones. Radio Shack 2 the guy says "I'm not sure we have old fashioned cameras anymore." They are right in front of the register.

Target was out, so I got it at Staples and skipped the Shack between.

I'm not asking them to hold my dick while I piss, but have a clue of where you are in the universe, Earth is not an acceptable answer! I couldn't even imagine trying to buy a phone or TV service from those fuckheads.

Again, not all of their employees are like this, just the lazy ones. They have some good ones at certain stores.

It used to be a place I'd buy piezo sensors and other electronic parts for homemade guitar effects and acoustic pickups. The old guys were great, and they had been there since I was a kid, these days it just sucks, they never have anything. I don't even think they sell batteries anymore.

I used to buy switches and other small eletronic parts there, but they don't even carry that shit anymore. I can get them online for cheaper now anyway...

To OP all I can say is good luck.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Stand around and do nothing.

who the fuck shops at radioshack?[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised .... every hobbiest person in the area comes to radio shack to get that transistor part or capacitor for whatever the hell they are building. Black friday as I recalled had people in line before the store opened.

Working in a commission environment sucks because it becomes cut throat. If I remembered correctly I was getting like 5.xx something base plus commission. I also recalled other associates standing by the door and asking customers what they needed help on. If it was a commission based item, they would help them on the spot, if it was a non commission item, they would dump it to the other associate. Heck even when that same associate would be working on a customer and another one came in on a commission based sale, they would tag them and claim they are helping them as well....

I had one associate who was like 86 years old who was a real old bastard that would dump customer problems on me while he flirts with younger women in the store. Shit like this is what drove me to quit and leave retail for 10 years.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I used to buy switches and other small eletronic parts there, but they don't even carry that shit anymore. I can get them online for cheaper now anyway...

To OP all I can say is good luck.[/QUOTE]

when did they get rid of parts?

hmm...

oh yeah....... INVENTORY DAYS SUCK!!
Holy shit the parts draw took 6 hours to count. You have no idea how much shit is in store that small.........cool thing is that the boss always bought food! :p

[quote name='JJSP']Fired, doubtful. You just won't make any money.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that was one of he first questions i asked... apparently, if you don't meet their sales goals they fire you. Needless to say, I will not be working for this company despite the fact that he said he would probably call me for a second interview.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You'd be surprised .... every hobbiest person in the area comes to radio shack to get that transistor part or capacitor for whatever the hell they are building. Black friday as I recalled had people in line before the store opened.

Working in a commission environment sucks because it becomes cut throat. If I remembered correctly I was getting like 5.xx something base plus commission. I also recalled other associates standing by the door and asking customers what they needed help on. If it was a commission based item, they would help them on the spot, if it was a non commission item, they would dump it to the other associate. Heck even when that same associate would be working on a customer and another one came in on a commission based sale, they would tag them and claim they are helping them as well....

I had one associate who was like 86 years old who was a real old bastard that would dump customer problems on me while he flirts with younger women in the store. Shit like this is what drove me to quit and leave retail for 10 years.[/QUOTE]
everything is online
tax free

its like I don't go into microcenter for computer parts anymore.
because its not the 90's

I wrote a nice long rant about Radio Shack and my browser closed before I submitted it, so I'll just give you the short version. I work for Target Mobile, those people you see in some Target electronics sections with the black shirt. They are owned and operated by Radio Shack. The DM is a passive aggressive d***head. I used to get commission for every phone I sold, but since RS is going broke, they decided back in April to make it where you have to sell a crap load of phones a week or you don't get a dime for any phone you sell. Sold 8 phones this week but your hours call for 9? No commission. Try again next week. Needless to say, I've only gotten two commission checks since last April and stopped trying a long time ago. If someone has a question about a phone, I will be happy to answer them. But I don't try to "sell" anymore.

The reasons I haven't quit yet: The people at Target are really cool and I've made some good friends there. The 10% Target discount, which is nice. I get to take my breaks or lunches whenever I want without asking. I don't have to talk to management except once in a while on the phone or email.

But the looming threat that Radio Shack is about to go bankrupt or that they are going to slash my hours to the bone have made me start looking elsewhere. Honestly though, if that d***head district manager walked in and told me I was fired, I will gladly tell him to shove the job up his ass.

I went to Radio Shack once last year:

I needed a short male 2.5mm to male (or female if it's the only option) 3.5mm audio cable, an uncommon but fairly straightforward cable in this day of cell phones and 360s.

Employee had no idea what I was asking for, so after finding it myself and seeing the $8+ pricetag (M2F version IIRC), I gasped, laughed, farted, and went home to buy one from eBay for

[quote name='Kerig']I went to Radio Shack once last year:

I needed a short male 2.5mm to male (or female if it's the only option) 3.5mm audio cable, an uncommon but fairly straightforward cable in this day of cell phones and 360s.

Employee had no idea what I was asking for, so after finding it myself and seeing the $8+ pricetag (M2F version IIRC), I gasped, laughed, farted, and went home to buy one from eBay for

[quote name='Javery']Those guys work on commission? Damn.[/QUOTE]

Yeah just learned that from this thread and was reading this thread as well http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Radioshack/get-job-at-RadioShack/t8630

Doesn't seem like a good company to work for. Last resort job if you can't find anything else but look towards packing your bags as soon as possible.

Hell in most cases unless you sell a insane amount of stuff you'd probably be better at working for Wal-Mart.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Actually, that was one of he first questions i asked... apparently, if you don't meet their sales goals they fire you. Needless to say, I will not be working for this company despite the fact that he said he would probably call me for a second interview.[/QUOTE]

Good. Commission sales are a joke, they don't help sell things, they just make employees pissed off at each other.

I worked at Lowes, if you worked in appliances you made insane money because they would pay you no less than $10-11 an hour and then anything you sell over there for like $300 you would get $20 more. It was a joke. They got rd of that right before I left, which is great. Because if I sold a $700 tool set no one would give me anything.

I got the hell out of there.

I'd actually try Lowes. I worked at one of the worst ones in the country. But if you live in a decent area the company gives you a 401K, sick days and vacation after a little while, better pay than most, health care in 46 states even for part timers, free food on holidays and if you go two months without an accident.

bread's done
Back