Impluse Driven has Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection for $17.

Been eyeing this collection for a while, but didn't want to pay $50 for a product I've effectively bought twice now. =P I think i'd be willing to pay $17 though, for the sake of having all of C&C run off my hdd without any discs needed. :3

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences running this particular collection? Do the games really all "just run" on Win7 as advertised? Is the 3/5 on Amazon due to the usual bitching about Origin?

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Been eyeing this collection for a while, but didn't want to pay $50 for a product I've effectively bought twice now. =P I think i'd be willing to pay $17 though, for the sake of having all of C&C run off my hdd without any discs needed. :3

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences running this particular collection? Do the games really all "just run" on Win7 as advertised? Is the 3/5 on Amazon due to the usual bitching about Origin?[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any problems under Windows 8 so I assume the same for 7. I haven't played them all extensively yet but they all run.

And yes I think the Amazon reviews are just bitching about Origin same as some people there will down rate something just because it requires Steam.

i wonder what kind of Draconian DRM the gamestop app uses..

THIS GAME REQUIRES THE GAMESTOP APP
Download the GameStop App, find more information and technical requirements now.

[quote name='ncc1701p']i wonder what kind of Draconian DRM the gamestop app uses..

Download the GameStop App, find more information and technical requirements now.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you can or have to use Origin?

EDIT:
Well answered my own question, it says "IMPORTANT NOTICE: This game requires the EA Origin client to play & update."

[quote name='ncc1701p']i wonder what kind of Draconian DRM the gamestop app uses..

Download the GameStop App, find more information and technical requirements now.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. They're just silly and make you install their app to get the Origin key. The do the same thing with Steam keys.

The actual game itself is Origin and Origin is the only DRM so there's no disc based nonsense like Securom.

Once you get your key from the Gamestop app you can safely delete it.

It's possible you may just get the key by email, but they are kind of hit or miss with that on Steam keys. Sometimes people get them straight in the email and sometimes people have to install the app to get the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='clonesniper666']Tony has stated that Amazon will not PM the $18 price because they will have it next month for the same.[/QUOTE]
Then it's worth waiting to grab it on there.
Did he say it would start the month or is this one of those "wait and see" things?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Then it's worth waiting to grab it on there.
Did he say it would start the month or is this one of those "wait and see" things?[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't matter. Both Impulse and Amazon will just give you a code to activate and download on Origin.

Well I took the plunge and like it was said.. you have to go through holy broo-haha and install their client which gets you the code.. I gave them a very spammy email account of mine.. it worked.. welcome to Cloud Country.

[quote name='Motoki']It doesn't. They're just silly and make you install their app to get the Origin key. The do the same thing with Steam keys.[/QUOTE]
Is this a new thing? I bought NV:UE from them last July and the receipt email also contained the Steam key.

[quote name='Detruire']Is this a new thing? I bought NV:UE from them last July and the receipt email also contained the Steam key.[/QUOTE]

There's been off and on reports for a while with their Steam keys alternately being given by email or having to go through the app to get it. In one case I even remember with the same game on the same sale some people reported getting the key in their email and some did not and had to get it through the app.

TBH I have no idea what the heck they are doing so I just tell people it's YMMV but you might be forced to go through the app.

The way they phrase it on the store page is misleading though. Even if you have to use the app to get the key it's not an extra layer of DRM like it sounds, it's just an extra hoop you have to jump through to get the key.

C&C 4 blows. 3 is decent but I bet there is really no community for it anymore and the SP is merely okay at best. The rest are good IMO, even red alert 3. Generals is dope and the classics are archaic but still fun.

[quote name='jkimrey']Do these games hold up well, or are they the kind you have fond memories of but when you load them up, not so much?[/QUOTE]

As a massive C&C Fan when i loaded up the 1st C&C it is digitally identical to the original game from when i 1st played it in DOS via CD-Rom. On Origin's web/help site it does reference a third party who provides patches. Given you have to go through the hoops of downloading, patching and testing it can cause a bit frustration. But the 1.06c patch that I ran does fix the animation video problem and does give me 1024x768 vs the original 640x480 or 640x400 resolution.. Again its identical to the original, there was no enhancements made to the game with the exception of maybe you can play this under Windows 7 now. I wish they would put an engine game update to the whole series overall but still nothing.. At a $1 a game its a bit hard to pass this up. To answer I think it held up well but YMMV as per opinion. If you were to play through every game youll see how the engine slowly evolves throughout the series. Again if you play kings quest 1, Space quest 1, etc.. don't expect graphic awesomeness on a high-res system.

Edit: Granted Its going to take a long time to download ALL the games but YMMV on each game also.

And..... I remember buying RA3 and it's expansion for $15.....

@&$% me :D

All of these games for $17 is a really, really nice deal. They actually hold up pretty well. RA2 being the best IMO.

I don't know why I ever pondered, but after paying twenty for C&C TFD and picking up RA3 for three, it seems like the wisest idea to go ahead and go digital + a few bonuses for less.

[quote name='ostynb']On sale at amazon for $17 and then get $5 off with coupon if you bought a game from them in december[/QUOTE]

Dead. They just removed the price match.

bread's done
Back