* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

#10201 Izod   CheepLikeASpoder CAGiversary!   2295 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Your face is TLDR.

TLDR: "It's not that simple."

#10202 asheskitty  

asheskitty

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

It's natural to envy things you don't have.

#10203 UW_Shocks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   871 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

tl;dr

Here ya go: https://www.hookedonphonics.com/

You're right Izod, e-retail is very different from physical retail.

#10204 DonRamon   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   324 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Could you please stop cluttering the thread with your incessant trolling?? I came back to this place looking for deals and all I see is you still going at it.

Thanks.

#10205 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24823 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Well, I don't have a life.... ;)

#10206 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3461 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

DonRamon Posted Image

About securom.
Stop being a solipsistic retard, enough people out there have a mind of their to not prefer to install that on their computers.

Thanks.

Don, it's known as "humor", so calm down and slowly remove your fist from your anus. If you want to call me out, do it on the boards. Don't PM unless there's something I'm selling that you want to buy.

Your welcome

Edit: Sorry for disrupting the board.

#10207 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Not speaking for Tony, just from my experience in various industries:

Speaking from my knowledge with both e-sale of digital products and physical products (both online and in a major retail chain) (including limited knowledge with video game publishers, extensive knowledge of other media), the answer is that it simply isn't that simple. You have deals with each publisher, and sales are generally either offered as a credit (in B&M settings this is often called a 'POS' Credit) or a straight up-front slash to the retail where both parties take less profit (for digital that is, this doesn't happen for B&M because the product is usually non-returnable outright owned by the retailer - although they may be required to meet MRSP standards to sell the product, Apple requires this as does Microsoft actually). Now in some industries discounts provided to retailers, must be provided to all retailers (this is why you often see the same game go on sale in multiple places across close time periods, that or it's a POS credit date range - in the movie industry it's often "$5 per copy sold between 1/1/13 and 1/20/13 up to seven days sales" type of deal) - but that's simple enough to get around with some smart negotiation and lawyering (must sell X copies, that no one else would ever be able to sell type of thing). Generally digital products are % of sales, with the price set explicitly by the vendor - as such you can't just change the retail and take less money - unless your contract says otherwise - you have to go to the vendor and say "hey man GF is fuxing my sales! pony up the cashhhh" to which they can reply with a multitude of other answers. Usually the retailer and the vendor cannot set day to day prices, otherwise it's collusion - sale prices however are not treated that way - it's another round of negotiations for each sale. Often better managed vendors will require proof of sales-lifts for certain deals before agreeing to help fund, or cut retail and take less profit. Etc. Anyways it's messy. It's not just changing a number in a database.

Vendor negotiations and pricing is an art and takes years to learn to do it properly, and largely slashing prices is not nearly as easy as everyone thinks - unless of course you out-right own the product and it is bought non-returnable - but really that's another animal and has it's own rules and issues.

Eh, I'm aware that pricematching isn't a simple process, the fact is that Amazon will pricematch Steam all the time, and a lot of the time without a second thought. GameFly, on the other hand, I can't really even recall them ever pricematching.

There's clearly something about GameFly, hence my asking.

#10208 Eldredpe   Disconcerted CAGiversary!   2564 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Your welcome

Calling you out here and now eulogy.

It's "You're."

;)

#10209 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Eh, I'm aware that pricematching isn't a simple process, the fact is that Amazon will pricematch Steam all the time, and a lot of the time without a second thought. GameFly, on the other hand, I can't really even recall them ever pricematching.

There's clearly something about GameFly, hence my asking.

For clarity, we used to match GameFly all the time (when I started). After doing so for months we went back and took a look at all of the GF PMs we'd done over the course of like 6 months (it might have been 12, I don't have the data in front of me). Basically what we found was that, when we do match (edit: GF), no one cares. What I mean by that is, there were roughly 20 cases where more people asked about a PM here in this thread than actually bought the product once we PMed.

Cheers,
Tony

#10210 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24823 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

While a few CAGs seem up in a tizzy that of the SecuROM "horror" of Manhunt 2*, I'd remind you of the OP...

*Jeez... I'm just happy to buy it from Amazon at a good price (great price if you count the $5 Rockstar credit).

Posted Image

@Ashes

Securom is not super-duper well-liked. It's well known to blacklist certain programs - and not cause a game to boot just b/c you might have a certain program installed (i.e. virtual drive programs like Alcohol 120).

Securom is not the best for activating a game, either. Likely, you're going to have to turn-off your firewall just so the damn thing can try to execute an attempt at an activation.

The problem w/ ANY Internet activation DRM is once the R* servers and/or Securom servers go away for that game - if we want to upgrade our PC; reinstall a game and play it on another PC; or any other reason - we're screwed. We have to phone home - and it'll never connect.

We would have to get the company to remove the DRM officially in a patch release a clean EXE, or reload an NO DRM versions up to the distributor); or we would have to find a cracked EXE out in the Internet wild.

This is most definitely true for games that are Single-Player based.
After a few years when the game's cheap often; no more DLC's and expansions being released for it; and it's very old, there's NO REASON to keep the DRM in the game - well, at least for the SP.
MP games are a little more understandable for DRM - b/c, you know, you have to connect to the Net to play MP!

I think the reason many like Steam DRM is b/c at least w/ them, we know there's a pretty good chance Valve and Steam are going to be along for a pretty long time.

Edited by MysterD, 10 May 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#10211 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

For clarity, we used to match GameFly all the time (when I started). After doing so for months we went back and took a look at all of the GF PMs we'd done over the course of like 6 months (it might have been 12, I don't have the data in front of me). Basically what we found was that, when we do match, no one cares. What I mean by that is, there were roughly 20 cases where more people asked about a PM here in this thread than actually bought the product once we PMed.

Cheers,
Tony

I'd chalk that up to bad site design/advertisement and no one beyond the people here who asked for the PM having a clue that the sale exists, but fair enough.

So no GameFly price matches ever again? Would be good to know for reference.

#10212 spoderman  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

For clarity, we used to match GameFly all the time (when I started). After doing so for months we went back and took a look at all of the GF PMs we'd done over the course of like 6 months (it might have been 12, I don't have the data in front of me). Basically what we found was that, when we do match (edit: GF), no one cares. What I mean by that is, there were roughly 20 cases where more people asked about a PM here in this thread than actually bought the product once we PMed.

Cheers,
Tony

When was this? To be fair, Gamefly started out kind of slow with their PC game sales, meaning.. the prices during the price match period could have sucked. They've had some amazing deals within the last few months. Hell of a lot better than the typical sales on Steam (other than seasonal sales) anyway.

#10213 Kuma   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2450 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Anyone have opinions on Hitman Professional over the standard? And all this talk of SecuROM gets me all worked up like I did when it first came out. Hate that thing. Hitman doesnt use it does it?

#10214 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Anyone have opinions on Hitman Professional over the standard? And all this talk of SecuROM gets me all worked up like I did when it first came out. Hate that thing. Hitman doesnt use it does it?

Standard.

And no, Manhunt 2 uses it.

#10215 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'd chalk that up to bad site design/advertisement and no one beyond the people here who asked for the PM having a clue that the sale exists, but fair enough.

So no GameFly price matches ever again? Would be good to know for reference.

I mean, "forever" is a long time, and we certainly keep an eye on everything.

Cheers,
Tony

#10216 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

When was this? To be fair, Gamefly started out kind of slow with their PC game sales, meaning.. the prices during the price match period could have sucked. They've had some amazing deals within the last few months. Hell of a lot better than the typical sales on Steam (other than seasonal sales) anyway.

I'd need to go back and look at the exact time periods, but it was earlier this year.

Cheers,
Tony

#10217 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

... over the course of like 6 months (it might have been 12, I don't have the data in front of me).

I'd need to go back and look at the exact time periods, but it was earlier this year.

Cheers,
Tony

:-s

#10218 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

:-s

What I thought he was asking was "when did you do this study?" I responded with "earlier this year".

Sorry for the confusion, or is this not what you were asking?

Cheers,
Tony

#10219 spoderman  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

What I thought he was asking was "when did you do this study?" I responded with "earlier this year".

Cheers,
Tony

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Would be interesting to know the exact time period that the PMs took place

#10220 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Cheers,
Tony

I'm pretty sure he was asking when this GameFly pricematching period took place, since GameFly has just only recently begun pushing its digital game sales. Basically, whenever you were pricematching GF, their sales were probably terrible (their sales number were probably just as shitty as your own pricematched sales). Not a very good reference/reason not to pricematch them anymore.

#10221 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5414 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Cheers,
Tony

I read it as "when were the GF prices matched?"

GF have definitely had some more interesting specials lately (imo, at least) - although most of the time the price was only appealing after coupon was applied (they seem to have 15-20% off coupons most of the time lately.)

#10222 spoderman  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I thought by "study" he meant the same thing as "when the gamefly prices were price matched". Y u gaise try 2 confuse.

#10223 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

I thought by "study" he meant the same thing as "when the gamefly prices were price matched". Y u gaise try 2 confuse.

Lol sorry, just replying quickly while working on the Mayhem! stuff. Our email system hates me.

Cheers,
Tony

#10224 Spokker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2211 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

My goal is to get the Grand Theft Auto series on my PC (Steam preferred) as cheaply as possible. I have the games on Xbox and Xbox 360, but I really want to replay them on PC with longer draw distances and try some mods and things like that.

Based on what I have read, my best bet so far is to buy Vice City today, get a $5 credit, and then use that credit on the 29th for the GTA IV Complete + San Andreas + Grand Theft Auto 1947 (aka LA Noire) bundle. Do I have this right?

That only leaves Grand Theft Auto III. Does Amazon sell a Steam version of this game? I can only find the SecuROM version. It's not a high priority though.

#10225 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

My goal is to get the Grand Theft Auto series on my PC (Steam preferred) as cheaply as possible. I have the games on Xbox and Xbox 360, but I really want to replay them on PC with longer draw distances and try some mods and things like that.

Based on what I have read, my best bet so far is to buy Vice City today, get a $5 credit, and then use that credit on the 29th for the GTA IV Complete + San Andreas + Grand Theft Auto 1947 (aka LA Noire) bundle. Do I have this right?

That only leaves Grand Theft Auto III. Does Amazon sell a Steam version of this game? I can only find the SecuROM version. It's not a high priority though.

If you're only interested in the GTA games, wait for a Steam sale. They've had the whole series for relatively cheap.

#10226 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

We don't have a GTA 3 Steam version. I asked my guy about it but haven't heard back yet.

Cheers,
Tony

#10227 spoderman  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Is there a full list of all the rockstar bundles that will be available later this month? I tried searching and only found a couple.

Basically, the only games I don't have are Max Payne 3, LA Noire, and Manhunt 2.

I'd probably only want Max Payne 3 + LA Noire though.

#10228 Spokker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2211 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

If you're only interested in the GTA games, wait for a Steam sale. They've had the whole series for relatively cheap.

The Grand Theft Auto Complete pack (1-4, Episodes from Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas) was on sale on Steam for $12.49 at the lowest I could find. I don't care about the top-down 2D versions, though. It would also be nice to have LA Noire on the PC.

#10229 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8921 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

The Grand Theft Auto Complete pack (1-4, Episodes from Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas) was on sale on Steam for $12.49 at the lowest I could find. I don't care about the top-down 2D versions, though. It would also be nice to have LA Noire on the PC.

Still cheaper than here, and you're not missing III.

If you have LA Noire on a console, there's not much reason to have it on the PC. It's got a 30 FPS lock and it's notoriously difficult to get working (unless you get lucky).

#10230 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24823 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

The Grand Theft Auto Complete pack (1-4, Episodes from Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas) was on sale on Steam for $12.49 at the lowest I could find.

I love the GTA series.

I don't care about the top-down 2D versions, though.

If you are looking for GTA1 and 2, they have been FREE for download for years on Rockstar's classic site.

I haven't tried to DL for years from that site (as I still have the installers on disc somewhere)...but their site is still up, so maybe it still works?
I don't know.
{shrug}

EDIT:
And I'm not sure how those versions will work on modern OS's, so....one could always try if they get the download link, I guess.
{shrug}

Edited by MysterD, 10 May 2013 - 10:32 PM.