* * * * * 22 votes

[old thread] Amazon PCDD - Summer Sale - $9.99 Walking Dead, Use "Gooncave" at checkout for 15% off

#13141 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10637 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Or the game flopped and no one is buying it.

#13142 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

:roll:

#13143 MAYBESEW  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Totally late to the sale, but just grabbed the Oh so fine and dandy bundle.  I've been looking for a good deal on Iron Brigade, so I'll take this deal to get in on it.

Excited to see what's to come from the Amazon Indie store

edit: If anyone is interested in the Brutal Legend Steam key, let me know

edit 2: Thanks for all of the offers, The key is no longer available

#13144 smurfinaus   GOGger's Unite!! :) CAGiversary!   623 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Ive played it. Its not that good. Voice acting is....average as is the graphics. But its an indie.cant expect too much?.

Gameplay is....yeah well buy it and see it yourself. Not sure why people are so hot about it. 

#13145 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

I'm hot about Mars: War Logs for the setting, genre, and price ($2). Price determines a lot of that "heat".

#13146 Captain Urahara   Praise The Sun CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Captain Urahara

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

PM'ed you.

#13147 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

PM'ed you.

ur l8 captan uhuru

#13148 PKB Mac   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   243 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

Totally late to the sale, but just grabbed the Oh so fine and dandy bundle.  I've been looking for a good deal on Iron Brigade, so I'll take this deal to get in on it.

Excited to see what's to come from the Amazon Indie store

PM sent.

Edit: Damn. Well-played Urahara. Well-played.

#13149 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4089 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

Ive played it. Its not that good. Voice acting is....average as is the graphics. But its an indie.cant expect too much?.

Hard Reset...

#13150 Captain Urahara   Praise The Sun CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Captain Urahara

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

I went ahead and bought FTL Faster Than Light. Mainly because I wanted it but also because it was 50% off which is the lowest I've seen it at and I get the free Huntsman The Orphanage pre-order for Steam so that was a nice bonus. That, and the fact that FTL probably won't be in a bundle now or anywhere in the near future.

The other 2 drm-free games are a nice bonus as well on top of all that.

#13151 stupidproz1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2508 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

stupidproz1

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

I went ahead and bought FTL Faster Than Light. Mainly because I wanted it but also because it was 50% off which is the lowest I've seen it at and I get the free Huntsman The Orphanage pre-order for Steam so that was a nice bonus. That, and the fact that FTL probably won't be in a bundle now or anywhere in the near future.

The other 2 drm-free games are a nice bonus as well on top of all that.

FTL is one of the funnest and most addicting games I have played in the last year or two. Enjoy!

#13152 Ygh9RbNaijteh   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Ygh9RbNaijteh

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

@Tony: I don't know, if you've already seen it, but you should probably read that: http://indiestatik.c...die-game-store/

It's titled "A Warning Regarding The Amazon Indie Game Store" and although I don't think the whole part about comparing the new Amazon Indie Game Store to the Amazon App Store is a very compelling point since that seem to be two different departments, there are some other critical points further down.

#13153 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

@Tony: I don't know, if you've already seen it, but you should probably read that: http://indiestatik.c...die-game-store/

It's titled "A Warning Regarding The Amazon Indie Game Store" and although I don't think the whole part about comparing the new Amazon Indie Game Store to the Amazon App Store is a very compelling point since that seem to be two different departments, there are some other critical points further down.

90% of that article is USDA prime bullshit.

"Not 100% of proceeds are going to the developer! Some of those proceeds are going to the developer's publisher if they have one!"

Uh, no-fucking-duh?

"Digital Tribe hired a 3rd party to deal with Amazon and didn't actually know their games were bundled!"

Then they need to pay more attention and hire better middle-men, derp.

Honestly, I don't think Amazon needs to worry about "indiestatik.com". They can't even spell static right!

#13154 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20884 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, that article is a heaping pile of amateur bs.

This doesn't apply to just Amazon, but every retailer.  These devs sign contracts with publishers, distributors, etc.  If they don't understand language in a contract, hire an attorney who does, don't cry after the fact.  If a promotion they participated in willingly didn't work out like they hoped, too bad so sad, make a better game, or find another way to promote it.  The guy who wrote it sounds like a melodramatic person who tries to blame everyone but himself when something goes wrong.

#13155 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

And that's the problem. Indie devs (and the lower end publishers they hire), God bless them, are not usually professionals (hence... y'know, "indie"). They don't always know what they're doing. Wade into contracts with massive corporations without doing your research, and you're going to have some hiccups.

And that guy should be writing tabloids, honestly. He starts his article saying "One of the developers didn't even know their games were being sold!" to use that grab peoples' interest in the article, when the truth of the matter is that it's entirely the developer/publisher's fault.

Terrible, melodramatic article writing at its best.

#13156 Captain Urahara   Praise The Sun CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Captain Urahara

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

Basically the three posts above me sum it all up. The author of that article is starting shit for the sake of starting shit. He's grasping at straws in an attempt to make himself some sort of hero to devs and the common gamers. He's blaming any fault of the publisher/developer squarely on Amazon.

And I love his reasoning that Amazon is slimy and deceitful because they said 100% of sales go to developers when it really goes to the developers and publishers. He's acting like it's an outright lie and Amazon is keeping all of the profits for themselves or something. When developers enter into an agreement with a publisher then both get their agreed upon cut of the profits. That's how things work. The author is a complete hack.

#13157 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5684 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

I think everyone would agree that the author of that piece has every right to be skeptical of anything that seems to good to be true, but I think there are a lot of points that are blown well out of proportion. 

The bit about the "100% to devs" is really just for the layman. At worst, its an example of poor phrasing. I feel certain that most people understand that developers/publishers work together to sell games and that the title is simply implying that Amazon is not taking a cut of the sale. 

The entire first part is a recount of what sounds like poor handling of the launch of the Amazon App Store. It's fair to point this out, but it makes lots of other assumptions that it shouldn't.

#13158 tmwfte   Lovecraftian Colour Out of Space CAGiversary!   658 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

It's like Amazon killed the guy's dog or something. o_O

#13159 asheskitty  

asheskitty

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

Well I made my obligatory Amazon purchase to snag the Huntsman and other free addons.  Thanks for the reminder.

#13160 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10637 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Lol @ that 'blogticle.'  Do we really need to be warning grown men to read any legal paperwork they sign?  Hi-larious.

#13161 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Lol @ that 'blogticle.'  Do we really need to be warning grown men to read any legal paperwork they sign?  Hi-larious.

about-2_01.jpgabout-2_03.jpg

Boss Baddie devs ^

Admittedly, many are grown men. True.

#13162 asheskitty  

asheskitty

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

vbpossess.jpgPyramid_of_Capitalist_System.png

iww4.jpg

#13163 Larce80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

/checks thread

/leaves thred

edit: I thought I was in the steam one at least haha

#13164 Xaliqen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

I don't really want to wade into this, but I could see how "100% of sales to developers" would be upsetting as a developer.  I know Amazon probably didn't want to go into the logistics of publisher vs. developer in a short marketing statement (and who would?), but I could see this ruffling some feathers.

Getting angry about it and ranting across the web is probably overkill, but I wouldn't just brush it off either.  And, no, IMHO, it doesn't have to do with warning grown men and women about paperwork, it has to do with being a bit more careful on the marketing side of things to ensure the statements align with the reality. I think this is an honest mistake on Amazon's part, and I don't think people should blow it out of proportion.

#13165 lomaxgnome   It's a Library of Games CAGiversary!   191 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

Every single game in those Digital Tribe bundles the article mentioned has been bundled before, often multiple times, and usually for far less than the $10 that Amazon is charging. Maybe the guy should write a better, more researched article about how Indie Devs often sell distribution rights to their games and don't even know what happens to them afterwards. That might actually be a worthwhile thing to read.

In fairness though, while we here at CAG all know this store has no connection to the App Store, it's pretty reasonable for a layman to draw a connection between the two, and it's widely known that the Amazon App Store did some really shady and misleading things, especially early on.

#13166 27526343157187946075   Banned Banned   461 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Bundle link

Are those the only current bundles or am I maybe missing something. I might see if there's anything of interest, but all I really see of interest is The Cave and Brutal Legend.

#13167 Xaliqen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Bundle link

Are those the only current bundles or am I maybe missing something. I might see if there's anything of interest, but all I really see of interest is The Cave and Brutal Legend.

New bundles should arrive this week (look at Tony's posts for more info).

#13168 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20884 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Every single game in those Digital Tribe bundles the article mentioned has been bundled before, often multiple times, and usually for far less than the $10 that Amazon is charging. Maybe the guy should write a better, more researched article about how Indie Devs often sell distribution rights to their games and don't even know what happens to them afterwards. That might actually be a worthwhile thing to read.

In fairness though, while we here at CAG all know this store has no connection to the App Store, it's pretty reasonable for a layman to draw a connection between the two, and it's widely known that the Amazon App Store did some really shady and misleading things, especially early on.

What have they done that was shady and misleading? I'm not at all familiar with it. I read those articles linked in the blogticle but didn't get much out of them. One dev was mad because his app wasn't optimized to work on all phones. Reading between the lines seems this led to customer service problems and he was upset he didn't get to sort them out directly. The second article was just stating that amazon app store doesn't have the same market and sales a Google play so it is not worth the trouble. Seems like a fair and informed pov but nothing shady there. The last guy just exposed the fact devs don't make a cent off the free app program but I never expected them to and always considered it to be one of the stupider promotions to participate in.

Is there other stuff they did?

#13169 vlt1p  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Damn, nice upcoming bundle.

#13170 smurfinaus   GOGger's Unite!! :) CAGiversary!   623 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

*watches the CAG regulars form a human wall in front of Amazon*.

Anyways, when will the talked about but not yet released bundles be available?.