Does Steam make upcoming consoles irrelevant?

Oblivieon

CAGiversary!
Hey wanted to know if I'm the only one that feels this way. To give a little history back in 06 when Half Life 2 came out and it forced the broken and slow Steam system on me I hated it. I beat the game, uninstalled it and never looked back.

Fast forward and during the holidays my friend reintroduced me to Steam. I gave it another shot and I love it. The winter sale was amazing. But I was sitting there realizing the quality of content for the prices I was paying. For example Rage at $10.00 Metro 2033 at $5.00. Darksiders 1 and 2 for $13.00 I started to feel that Steam is a pretty amazing value in the video game word. So much so I don't think I'll jump into the New Xbox and PS4 realm. The Wii U, well yeah I'll get one when Zelda comes out. Stupid Link holds a soft spot.

But anyways what do you fellow CAG's think? Does the next generation of consoles excite you or do you feel that services like Steam will make them irrelevant?

I was skeptical about Steam as well though I was an early adopter. My userid is 3445. Looking at my purchase history, aside from Half-Life 2 when Steam launched, I made 1 purchase in 2007, one in 2009 and I didn't really start regularly buying games on Steam until 2011. My first licenses were predictably complimentary Orange Box/Half-Life stuff. I've never paid full price for a game on Steam (aside from Half-Life 2 I guess. To be honest I just realized I can't remember what the hell I did and I'm mixed up on dates). In any case, I was concerned that Steam was simply going to pocket the savings by going through digital distribution, but they've delivered with the sales. During this time, I still haven't forgotten about console gaming as I purchased a PS3 holiday bundle in December.

It's no secret that Steam is attempting to capture some of what makes console gaming attracting with Big Picture mode and now the Steambox. I like Big Picture mode and there was just an update I haven't tried yet, but there have been a lot of instances where I can't get back to the Big Picture UI after ending a game, which requires me to go back to the computer and fix it. Also, if a game has to convert to a different format, you have to get up off your fat ass and go confirm with the mouse. My controller reaches far enough but my mouse doesn't.

But yeah, today a budget PC will give you as good or better results than an Xbox 360 or PS3 on ports. All platforms have their exclusive titles and the cost/benefit must be weighed. I skipped the PS3 and only got one last year, so I was able to go back and try all the exclusives very inexpensively. They still have the holiday bundle with four games and PS+ trial at Target I think. The PS+ trials also stack so I've got mine going until late February.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, Half-Life 2 came out in 2004. There are some nice sales on Steam, usually better than consoles, but there are still some good console deals, enough that I don't feel like compelled to spend the time or money on building a gaming PC. I'll be keeping an eye on the Steam Box for sure, but I'm sticking with consoles for now.

[quote name='iamsmart']For the record, Half-Life 2 came out in 2004. [/QUOTE]

He might mean The Orange Box, which is 2007. Hell, I'm confused now too so I went to Wikipedia.

2004:
Half-Life 2 was simultaneously released through Steam, CD, and on DVD in several editions. Through Steam, Half-Life 2 had three packages that a customer could order. The basic version ("Bronze") includes only Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, whereas the "Silver" and "Gold" (collector's edition) versions also include Half-Life: Source (ports of the original Half-Life and Day of Defeat mod to the new engine).
Okay, now I remember. I got the Silver version. I don't remember buying a boxed copy so I must have purchased it on Steam.

Orange Box was 2007, and I vaguely remember getting back into Steam at that point (I had skipped episode 1), playing all the Orange Box stuff, and then forgetting about Steam until 2011, with a brief return in 2009.

enough that I don't feel like compelled to spend the time or money on building a gaming PC.
A Radeon 6770 and a dual core is still relevant in today's gaming environment. I play 1440x900 on high settings at the desk and 1080p or 720p on the TV depending on the game. So Sleeping Dogs ($5) would be 720p on high while I could get away with 1080p on the Walking Dead ($12.50) or something classic like Psychonauts ($2.50 or something). The long console cycle has resulted in a PC game environment that does not require a lot of resources to get into.

[quote name='iamsmart']For the record, Half-Life 2 came out in 2004. There are some nice sales on Steam, usually better than consoles, but there are still some good console deals, enough that I don't feel like compelled to spend the time or money on building a gaming PC. I'll be keeping an eye on the Steam Box for sure, but I'm sticking with consoles for now.[/QUOTE]

This.

I enjoy the ease and plug and play aspects of a console. I don't have to fuss with settings or compatibility issues. It will be interesting if the Steam Box will embrace the modding community...that could be a game changer for sure.

I don't think so. Steam deals are good but since you can't sell the games back or trade them the games become worthless after you beat them or lose interest in playing them. Its nice getting games for 50-75% off through steam but honestly I value PC games a lot less than console games since like I said they are worthless once you beat them(XBLA and PSN games also have this same issue). The only way I would buy a PC game would be if its at least 50% off.

I've been a gamefly member for years now and imo that is way better than any steam deal. Without any special deals or anything you can get gamefly for a year for around $190 and with just that you could play all the games you want for every console for a year.

In the future I think we will see more things like Gamefly and PSN Plus for consoles because the whole pay one monthly or yearly fee for access to a large selection of games for free is much better than sales on individual games.

[quote name='Spokker'] A Radeon 6770 and a dual core is still relevant in today's gaming environment. I play 1440x900 on high settings at the desk and 1080p or 720p on the TV depending on the game. So Sleeping Dogs ($5) would be 720p on high while I could get away with 1080p on the Walking Dead ($12.50) or something classic like Psychonauts ($2.50 or something). The long console cycle has resulted in a PC game environment that does not require a lot of resources to get into.[/QUOTE]

This is so true, I'm running a Quad Core but running an ATI 4870 which is a really old Video Card by todays standards but still able to run 1920 x 1080. The days of having to upgrade every 6 months are pretty much over. I've noticed with Windows 7 it pretty much streamlined everything. Building and setting up a PC isn't near as difficult as it once was. Plus look at the deals that were scored, to top if off the incredible indie titles that are available. Like Amnesia, Cryostasis and Trine.

I appreciate everyones thoughts. It's interesting how people view it. Some don't like the idea of messing around with a PC, others don't like lack of resale value of games. I didn't like Digital distribution at all in the begining but I'm warming up to it now. The more I use it, the more value I see in it.

I disagree. If there aren't enough good exclusives by MS or Sony, I can see some people opting to get a Nintendo console and the Steam console for the cross-platform stuff.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I disagree. If there aren't enough good exclusives by MS or Sony, I can see some people opting to get a Nintendo console and the Steam console for the cross-platform stuff.[/QUOTE]
First of all, the 'Steam box' is $1000 so it's not even a competitor in the console market. Mom and Dad aren't going to look at game exclusives when buying a console for little Johnny, only price. Second, the WiiU is doing very poorly and lack of exclusives from the M$/Sony camps aren't going to save Nintendo from their mistakes. WiiU is the gamecube of this generation.

Steam is irrelevant to me.

Console gaming is just better to me. Computers can be a pain in the ass. I only use my comp for RTS and MMO.

I fucking despise digital media, too. There's so many variables to it that developers can and will take advantage of as the medium becomes more prevalent. I will not pay more than $15 for any virtual game.

The one thing I do hope, is that Steam provides enough competition to where MS, Sony and Nintendo will drop their digital content down to reasonable prices... but I doubt that'll happen.

I really don't see "Steambox" having any impact on consoles at all.

[quote name='Jodou']First of all, the 'Steam box' is $1000 so it's not even a competitor in the console market. Mom and Dad aren't going to look at game exclusives when buying a console for little Johnny, only price. Second, the WiiU is doing very poorly and lack of exclusives from the M$/Sony camps aren't going to save Nintendo from their mistakes. WiiU is the gamecube of this generation.[/QUOTE]

This x100 if they want the steam box to make consoles irrelevant than sell it for $400-500. No way in hell am I paying $1000 to play video games.

[quote name='Jodou']First of all, the 'Steam box' is $1000[/QUOTE]

We don't know how much it will be. Valve is backing the Xi3 which is around the 1000 dollar mark but the Xi3 is not the Valve "Steam Box" that is supposedly coming out. Valve said that their Steam Box will be a Linux system that they sell themselves.

Could be 400 bucks, could be 1200. No one knows.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

Condensed version:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/gabe-newell-opens-up-about-steam-box-plans/4511/

------------

Steam does what it does very well, but it's not going to hurt consoles. I personally couldn't care less about it.

Next gen doesn't really excite me yet, but that's because I haven't seen upcoming games to be released for next gen. However, I use Steam so much that I feel no hurry to buy a new console. I feel like I can wait quite a while until large price drops before even considering buying one. That is, of course, as long as my PC is strong enough to run next gen games.

The question is can steam (and now steam box) make people jump ship from the console market? Or can it at least get people to use it for those multi-platform games.

bread's done
Back