Things That Grind Your Gears While Shopping

Wazzup4567

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I dunno if there is a threat like this already mods. If so, just delete and merge!

Anyway, I'm a newb here but I have been a shopper for games forever now... Thing is, some things really annoy me when shopping. Any bad experiences when shopping?

I had one this weekend. Went to PM Flingsmash from Toysrus Online (The store had like 20-30 copies that were full price... What gives.) and the manager says "We can't price match because we can't tell if that is the in-store or online price."

The website said: "In Store price only"... (Flingsmash is now all out of stock on their website.)

They also have a copy of Goldeneye with the controller and a shirt... For 70$.

Why don't these stores clear out their stock?

Toys R Us and Wal-Mart are real bad about not clearancing out old junk and letting it rot on the shelf. There's still some Wal-Mart stores out there that as of last year still had PS1 and Dreamcast games hanging around at full price, almost a decade after their release.

[quote name='spmahn']Toys R Us and Wal-Mart are real bad about not clearancing out old junk and letting it rot on the shelf. There's still some Wal-Mart stores out there that as of last year still had PS1 and Dreamcast games hanging around at full price, almost a decade after their release.[/QUOTE]

Is this true? I find it hard to believe... :shock:

Employees constantly bugging me.

Employees who know less about the prices of video games and current promotions than me.

Employees telling me which console/games I should buy. If I ever go into a B&M store, I already know what I want. Otherwise, I'd shop online.

[quote name='dustdust']Employees constantly bugging me.

Employees who know less about the prices of video games and current promotions than me.
[/QUOTE]

So, basically 90% of Gamestop experiences...

?He was the "winning quarterback" on the Baltimore Ravens' only Super Bowl run but that had about 10 million times more to do with the fact that in the year 2000,Related Olympics coverage on Yahoo There are potentially bad things on the horizon for the team's best offensive and defensive players. Green Bay or Indianapolis. Miami,The Mobile phone is a standalone user Forthcoming model itself Blackberry Creators has Manufactured Lots of different Ground-breaking accessories. do the Bears deal Urlacher for a wide receiver who runs the 40-yard dash in 4. when you boil it all down, Wilson could Tony Gonzalez Camo Jersey vie for that job. Jenkins is Julio Jones Youth Jersey a pending free agent and appears set to move on. Julio Jones Elite Jersey So,5 times the amount of your bet. what do the Panthers have to lose by putting Edwards back there for at least a few plays?

Stores not having enough registers open with long lines and YMMV clearances.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Is this true? I find it hard to believe... :shock:[/QUOTE]

My local Walmart still has NBA Live 2002 for XBox for full price ($50) as well as other 2004 - 2005 XBox sports games for $20 - $30.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Stores not having enough registers open with long lines[/QUOTE]
Blame the managers or DMs for stiffing some people on hours, which results in not having enough people to work more than 2 or 3 registers. Usually it's the store manager that doesn't want too many people working at once, since that means more money out of his pocket. Same thing with the DM, who's usually breathing down the managers' necks about it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Stores not having enough registers open with long lines and YMMV clearances.

My local Walmart still has NBA Live 2002 for XBox for full price ($50) as well as other 2004 - 2005 XBox sports games for $20 - $30.[/QUOTE]

DAMN.... That's so stupid #-o

[quote name='Tsukento']Blame the managers or DMs for stiffing some people on hours, which results in not having enough people to work more than 2 or 3 registers. Usually it's the store manager that doesn't want too many people working at once, since that means more money out of his pocket. Same thing with the DM, who's usually breathing down the managers' necks about it.[/QUOTE]

This. Also a major reason why retail stores hire mostly part-time only anymore. I work at retail and only on Sundays (due to truncated hours) can we get more than 2 registers open for more than an hour.

I haven't bought a video game in person in ages but when I do go out the thing that bothers me most is interacting with people I don't know.

[quote name='spmahn']Toys R Us and Wal-Mart are real bad about not clearancing out old junk and letting it rot on the shelf. There's still some Wal-Mart stores out there that as of last year still had PS1 and Dreamcast games hanging around at full price, almost a decade after their release.[/QUOTE]

I saw a copy of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth at Walmart the other day for $40. Which is apparently a steal for a new copy if you look at its prices on Amazon.

[quote name='Javery']I haven't bought a video game in person in ages but when I do go out the thing that bothers me most is interacting with people I don't know.[/QUOTE]

This mostly annoys me too, but every now and then you'll run into some cool people. My local Best Buy has some very friendly and knowledgeable employees in the video gaming section. Every time I'm in they usually swing by and say hi and ask what I'm playing lately, and we'll converse briefly about that, but otherwise I try to avoid most everyone else. There's a lot of dummies out there.

Customers who are oblivious to other customers. It drives me crazy when I'm walking through a store only to have someone randomly stop in front of me. I don't know if it's lack of consideration for others or just a complete lack of awareness when it comes to their own surroundings.

Also, when employees ask me if I want a service plan or insurance or whatever on a low end item.

I was at Kmart, with a game in hand waiting to check out and I was behind a senile old lady who was trying to get an associate to find a digital camera that she said she saw in the weekly ad but didn't know the name, style or price of the camera. They didn't have any ads in electronics so he went through each camera one by one price checking them all and then at the end the lady said that she must have seen it in the Walmart ad and left.

I don't know if she was trolling or a complete idiot.

Basically everything about my town grinds my gears.

My town has a lot of people who flip as their full time job, meaning I can't find any type of deal whatsoever. Plus, there's a lot of smaller towns around so people from those towns also come raid the stores here.

The stores themselves are pretty useless. Best Buy and WM never put anything on clearance here unless it's shovelware. Kmart is so well organized that anything good is gone before it can even hit clearance. Our Sears hasn't carried games since the late 90s. Target and TRU's clearances are basically owned by flippers.

My only recluse is Gamestop. Yes, Gamestop. They're not perfect but for some reason, they're the only store I can find anything in and then I have to trade those items for things I want.

[quote name='KtMack23']Don't hate on the employees pushing the warrantys, believe me, we don't want to.[/QUOTE]

I don't; I understand it's SOP for most employees to ask about warranties or disc protection and I've programmed myself to almost immediately respond:

"Thank you for offering but I'm all set"

That same goes for employees that try to push store "X" credit card.

Almost all store employees are good but every once in awhile you get that douche who tries a second or third time insisting how valuable the disc protection or warranty is.

I hate when the person checking me out is talking to another employee. Unless its pertinent to my order, I don't give a fuck. I certainly don't give a fuck about your boyfriend or how drunk you got last night or what special herpes you have. Its also not a comedy club. Just stfu and finish my transaction.

I don't delay the transaction by talking on the phone. (I hate those people.). You don't delay me.

[quote name='Kevlar281']Customers who are oblivious to other customers. It drives me crazy when I'm walking through a store only to have someone randomly stop in front of me. I don't know if it's lack of consideration for others or just a complete lack of awareness when it comes to their own surroundings.

Also, when employees ask me if I want a service plan or insurance or whatever on a low end item.[/QUOTE]
same here, except it also applies to people out on the streets, especially people who just decided to stand still, and started texting in the middle of the crowed street

[quote name='YBX87']same here, except it also applies to people out on the streets, especially people who just decided to stand still, and started texting in the middle of the crowed street[/QUOTE]
In my world, if they stop like that they get bumped, then I mumble what sounds like an apology in Russian, especially if they get knocked down.

[quote name='KtMack23']Don't hate on the employees pushing the warrantys, believe me, we don't want to.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I'm just a stock clerk grunt, but where I work, we have papers in the break room that tell all cashiers that they HAVE to push whatever extra crap they're doing that month and they have to sell a certain amount. Supposedly, if they don't, they get a verbal warning first. If it keeps up, they get written up. Anymore and they're suspended.

It's the absolute FOULEST thing ever to basically threaten employees with suspension if they don't push customers to donating to whatever charity they're sponsoring. Especially if it's in the form of giving the customers a fucking dollar bill with a sticker of Santa Claus on it. Makes me kinda glad that I do the grunt work and only have to worry about making sure my area is well stocked and that I don't go over my hours.

On another note - as both an employee and customer, yes, it also gets on my nerves when (other) customers just flat out STOP right in the middle of my way. Whether it be me bringing product out while I'm working or I'm in the middle of shopping. Especially worse when it's a family who runs into friends they saw a week before but act like it's been 10 years.

I'm used to GS employees asking to buy PUR, reserve games, etc. I don't mind that since it's their job.

But I hate it when some GS employees keep asking me what game I want to buy. If I ever go into a store, i already know what I want to buy. Even if I tell them that, many still ask if I'm interested in buying this or that. Then it becomes a pointless roundabout solicitation scheme.

Also, I hate it when GS or BB employees refuse to take in items that have some wear but aren't completely tattered. At one store, a GS worker wouldn't accept 5 games because they had some minor scratches. However, another store did accept them. Consistency is not in GS's vocabulary.

[quote name='dustdust']Employees who know less about the prices of video games and current promotions than me.[/QUOTE]
This. :D I don't mind employees trying to talk to me or ask about games or whatever. But it is frustrating when I end up being the one explaining the store's promotions and policies to them.

Online CSRs are the worst. I've never had a conversation with an Amazon CSR that didn't begin with me needing to point out and explain the policy that I had a question about in the first place.

You know what really grinds my gears? Babies. Whenever I go into a store or sit down for a meal and I hear a baby start crying, I just want to yell, "Oh my God, will you shut the hell up?!" Babies, all the hot chicks think you're cute even though you get to snack on boobs constantly and can relieve yourself in public. You know what happened the last time I did those things? Restraining order. I can't even go into Denny's anymore. And you're still unhappy? What the hell do you want, anyway? You think you can do whatever the hell you want as long as your bodyguards are there. You think you're better than me? fuck you, babies. fuck you.

hqdefault.jpg

Diane.

Really, babies, you were one once, I am sure you cried in a store too. This does not bother me, or moreso, I don't have to put up with it enough for it to bother me. Babies will cry, this is a fact of life.

A 12 year old throwing a tantrum and crying in TRU because he can't get that box of Pokemon cards, yeah that irritates me, slap your kid, he is a spoiled brat and is more than old enough to know how to behave in public. At least in this instance the parent did drag the kid out of the store right away so I can't complain.

What bothers me is completely incompetent sales staff, for some reason the Walmart near me has become the worst store I have ever visited, it was NOT like this in the past, and its the ONLY retail store I have ever had a serious problem with in my whole life.

They left me waiting for 2 HOURS for a store pickup game that should have been ready right away. The pickup department also closes at 9pm in the store but on the website the email you get tells you it closes at 10pm. After that they still couldn't find the order and because they didn't know how to do a refund on an item that was never originally picked up it took at least 30 min just to get a refund. I politely agreed to a refund after the first attempt to find the item failed, so this problem was definitely not something I caused. This is completely unacceptable customer service. I know they are a huge company and they do not need to care since they have so many people buying from them but still.

Also one cashier at this Walmart took my mother's coupon and tore it up and threw it out, why, because it didn't ring up in the register. We had the exact item the coupon was for in the basket too. NEVER in my life have I had a cashier do this to me. This was a few weeks before the store pickup incident.

Complaining to Walmart in these 2 instances got us nothing but a disrupting call from a manager saying they will "do something about it" when we were eating our dinner.

This is not the end of it either, recently at Sam's club my mother returned something and the returned money was put on a gift card. When she went to use the gift card the next time at the store it was already used! A cashier probably switched out a used gift card with the one that had the refund on it. Not the first problem we have had at Sam's club either with their cashier, we have been short changed legitimately several times at Sam's club and we caught it each time. This is the only store we have ever been shortchanged at. Now this is Sam's club so we have a bit more bargaining power as a member but a month later and the issue is still not resolved and we are about about $10 because of their mistake. Its not the money but the idea of the fact that some cashier at Sam's probably stole from us. On the gift card that we received it was used at a time that we could not have possibly used it since my mother was in work at the time it was used (they printed up a list of times when the gift card was used). No one else in my household goes shopping at Sam's unless my mother is there since she is the cardholder.

Needless to say I do not shop at Walmart now, I am glad to pay $2 more per trip to shop at another store that does not have completely incompetent staff. I wish my mom would cancel our Sam's membership but she refuses. I would have canceled the minute I was given a stolen gift card if it was me. Moreover, I will just shop online if stores are going to be this bad. Unfortunately I need to buy groceries and perishables and I basically have to buy those at a store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically to me the absolute worth thing is being approached by ANY employee. If I don't actively seek you out, don't even fucking come near me since I DO NOT need any help whatsoever. Kindly die in a fire and leave me alone until such time I may (rarely) need your stupid help locating something you have misplaced in your store.

I have that a lot and its even more hilarious for me since whenever I go shopping I am listening to my MP3 player and, thus, have headphones on.

People who walk in the clearly marked exit only doors as I'm trying to leave (or vice versa). Get out of my way you illiterate dumbass.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']People who walk in the clearly marked exit only doors as I'm trying to leave (or vice versa). Get out of my way you illiterate dumbass.[/QUOTE]

I do it all the time, especially when the doors are far apart.

It's only bad if someone stands by the door with a cart and kids, while checking the receipt.

Oh man I just remembered my experience from Best Buy at the beginning of January.

I was at Best Buy trying to find a flash drive and asked an employee where it was as they said they had some stock online. The guy looked and said "Nawh it must not be here, ask someone else." And then went and got on his phone.

I then wandered the store for a good 30 minutes with 6 employees staring at me not wanting to help me when I needed someone. I had to go to the registers and ask for help.

What was funnier was that a customer was helping out others and all of the employees were "busy" (most were standing around).

[quote name='SaraAB']Really, babies, you were one once, I am sure you cried in a store too. This does not bother me, or moreso, I don't have to put up with it enough for it to bother me. Babies will cry, this is a fact of life.[/QUOTE]

I was satirizing the thread. :rofl:

To the best buy post. Didn't want to quote cause it was so long.

I end up helping older folks at my local best buy cause of the same thing. Also you call a group of best buy employees a blueberry patch

But what if I DID want the $2 protection plan on my $0.50 GC games from GS??? But seriously though, I'm so familiar at my GS the normal employee told the trainee to skip that stuff I could see it blew his little mind, like it conflicted his programming.

[quote name='Dar_k']I end up helping older folks at my local best buy cause of the same thing. Also you call a group of best buy employees a blueberry patch[/QUOTE]

And at Target its a strawberry patch! :lol:

The eventual envious rage when posting good finds in various threads here. Bunch of whining twats on this forum.

[quote name='Javery']I haven't bought a video game in person in ages but when I do go out the thing that bothers me most is interacting with people I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It's mainly the other shoppers though. The way they don't respect anyone else there shopping.

Incredibly annoying.

[quote name='Blade']You know what really grinds my gears? Babies. Whenever I go into a store or sit down for a meal and I hear a baby start crying, I just want to yell, "Oh my God, will you shut the hell up?!" Babies, all the hot chicks think you're cute even though you get to snack on boobs constantly and can relieve yourself in public. You know what happened the last time I did those things? Restraining order. I can't even go into Denny's anymore. And you're still unhappy? What the hell do you want, anyway? You think you can do whatever the hell you want as long as your bodyguards are there. You think you're better than me? fuck you, babies. fuck you.

Diane.[/QUOTE]

Lol, your post reminded me of an episode of Family Guy. Brian at Denny's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHM57HcHJ_c

[quote name='Nogib']Basically to me the absolute worth thing is being approached by ANY employee. If I don't actively seek you out, don't even fucking come near me since I DO NOT need any help whatsoever. Kindly die in a fire and leave me alone until such time I may (rarely) need your stupid help locating something you have misplaced in your store.[/QUOTE]

Wow...just wow...

I agree with Nogib, just without all the crazy lol. That annoys the shit out of me, too. I get that it's their job, and I don't share his homicidal tendencies, but I do find that particular thing annoying. lol

A few months ago, almost every bigwig in the company stopped by for a walk. I came in and found about 15 or so managers and execs lined up at the entrance greeting customers. I wish I had seen that earlier so I could have entered somewhere else. Apparently I wasn't the only one as a high-up exec did go through another entrance undercover and only saw the cashiers. He was apparently pissed.

Later on, the execs all gathered around in the middle of the main aisle by self checkout so that the store managers could present me with a certificate for getting a perfect 10 for Customer Friendliness. I do NOT like being paraded out like that and wanted to get out there ASAP. Then everybody kept calling me "10!" the rest of the day. Highly embarrassing.

Anyway, if I was a shopper and I saw all that, I would be highly disgusted and would avoid those people as much as I could.

Its pretty annoying when Im at Goowill and the same daymn person is always in my way. They take like the exact same path I do but at a slow pace and I just wanna tell them "GET THE F*** OUTTA MY WAY!". haha

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Stores not having enough registers open with long lines and YMMV clearances.

My local Walmart still has NBA Live 2002 for XBox for full price ($50) as well as other 2004 - 2005 XBox sports games for $20 - $30.[/QUOTE]

funny thing, I decided to grab one of those decade old resealed PS2 games from their bin, it was marked like 45.97 or something ridiculous. I brought it to a scanner, the scanner had no file of it. My curiosity grew more so I brought it up to the register and had them scan it and nothing came up, they said they couldn't even sell the things and that no one had ever tried to buy one before ( I wonder why :roll:)

i found it pretty funny. they have those big bins taking up room for no reason, full of Burger king games and 2k2 sports titles haha

I am guessing they are unable to get rid of them because it would simply cost the store too much money to see it them disappear or just junked so they remain there. Of course over here I am sure someone would try to buy one legitimately.

I took the NBA Live game to the scanner when I saw it too, thinking there was no way that it was really full price all these years later. Even if it was a couple of dollars I wouldn't have bought it but I wanted to see how much it was in the system for. It scanned for full price.

On one hand people don't want us to approach them (even though that's our fucking job), on the other hand they're pissed when we just stand around and don't approach them. I'm telling you, you can never please a CAG.

bread's done
Back