Any New Jersey CAGs surviving?

[quote name='blueshinra']I used to live in NJ but moved to Cali nearly two years ago. Didn't realize I started a trend :lol:[/QUOTE]

I sooooo want to leave PA and move to california......

Mind if I ask how you did it? The reason I ask is I am 32 - great job, beautiful house, nice vehicles ect. ect.

I am trying to figure out how to get a job lined up out there first (I am in Insurance, 12 years experience).

Looking at SF/Bay Area or anywhere in the vicinity of Mendocino (ahem..)

I am just trying to figure out how to do it.. (I know it sounds dumb, but there is a LOT involved in moving 2000 miles away or more). IE: How to move ALL my stuff, vehicles (3) ect. I need to sell my house first, which selling homes is NEVER fun.. I may start trying to sell all my "extra" stuff this spring (furniture, clothes, electronics, a motorcycle ect.). I really really hate Pennsylvania (I grew up in Maryland) and want to get my MMJ card , and start tapping some of those fine, fake california babes with 'dem big fake bewbs.

And yes, I am pretty serious about moving. Looking to do it in the next year or earlier. Best thing is, my best friend wants to come with me, but only if I have the house and job lined up first.... He is in electronics, so i am sure we both could get good ($50k+) jobs there. I am pulling down $45k here in PA, and I am sure Cali pays better than this hell-hole.

[quote name='exceed19']I sooooo want to leave PA and move to california......

Mind if I ask how you did it? The reason I ask is I am 32 - great job, beautiful house, nice vehicles ect. ect.

I am trying to figure out how to get a job lined up out there first (I am in Insurance, 12 years experience).

Looking at SF/Bay Area or anywhere in the vicinity of Mendocino (ahem..)

I am just trying to figure out how to do it.. (I know it sounds dumb, but there is a LOT involved in moving 2000 miles away or more). IE: How to move ALL my stuff, vehicles (3) ect. I need to sell my house first, which selling homes is NEVER fun.. I may start trying to sell all my "extra" stuff this spring (furniture, clothes, electronics, a motorcycle ect.). I really really hate Pennsylvania (I grew up in Maryland) and want to get my MMJ card , and start tapping some of those fine, fake california babes with 'dem big fake bewbs.

And yes, I am pretty serious about moving. Looking to do it in the next year or earlier. Best thing is, my best friend wants to come with me, but only if I have the house and job lined up first.... He is in electronics, so i am sure we both could get good ($50k+) jobs there. I am pulling down $45k here in PA, and I am sure Cali pays better than this hell-hole.[/QUOTE]

Well in SF, you'd want to swap the babes with hot gay men ;) Seriously though, the temperature is quite moderate most of the year in the city (it can get to be absolutely chilly during the summer). It is also NOT CHEAP to live out here-- real estate (both renting and buying) is expensive and it's even worse than the NYC metro area is as far as eating out, groceries, etc. goes. There's a lot more Trader Joe's out here, though, plus the usual chain stores like Target, so there's definitely ways to shop on a reasonable budget.

My husband's a systems administrator and programmer so... enough said, really; San Francisco's really the place to be for those fields. After getting his (first) job in SF, he worked remotely from the East Coast before we moved (the company covered most of the relocation expenses). I worked as an animator in NYC, mostly freelance, but the jobs eventually stopped being as frequent and (nowhere near) as good as they used to be, so I had no real problems with moving.

We have two pets-- a cat and a rabbit-- and since the latter could've died if we flew him out there, we drove cross-country to our new apartment. It took a little over a week and almost drove my husband bonkers, but we survived; saw the Grand Canyon on the way, too.

We've always been renters, so there's been no worries about us selling a house. That must be a whole 'nother headache.

Also a resident of the garden state.

I think shipping cars would be your only concern. I have not read 1 good review on any service that ships cars. Just heard a lot of horror stories about them like cars being received with damage on them or abuse was shown to car. Just do your best to find a company that you can fully trust to ship your vehicle otherwise it just might be worth it to drive the 2000 miles to get there.

Otherwise make the move out to Cali. One of my closest buddies made the move to fresno on a whim and found the welding job he was looking for. He is doing pretty well for himself considering the move was just on a whim. Good luck with the potential move!

[quote name='exceed19']

And yes, I am pretty serious about moving. Looking to do it in the next year or earlier. Best thing is, my best friend wants to come with me, but only if I have the house and job lined up first.... He is in electronics, so i am sure we both could get good ($50k+) jobs there. I am pulling down $45k here in PA, and I am sure Cali pays better than this hell-hole.[/QUOTE]

You won't be buying or renting a house in SF with 50k salary.

If you really want to do it, sell everything because you'll never have enough space for it anyway. Expect to pay 1000 for a small apt. It's doable but $50k is $35k after taxes? 1/3 of that will go towards rent if you're lucky. Maybe 1/2. If you're young enough, it's well worth it. If you get a 10k bump in salary, that will just offset the standard of living.

Now, obviously, you could live in one of the surrounding towns but why move to SF/Bay Area to live in rat ass richmond or all the way out in Pittsburg.

South Jersey CAG here. I.. find myself dazed and confused by this site revamp. What happened to my darkness and greeeen?!

Monmouth County... anyone have a gamestop close on you?  I just noticed the Holmdel store on 35 is empty and without a sign.  Which sucks cause I had a good customer relationship with the manager and he helped me out with late preorders.

Last edited by a moderator:
How'd I manage to be the 3rd post in this topic 3 years ago lol 

I'm still here. Moved from Passaic County to Sussex County though.

Moving back to North Jersey soon, probably in the spring, but don't know what town(ship) yet. California's been pretty scary these past few years with the fires, and it is still stupidly expensive to live here.

How're all the NJ CAGs holding up? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back