Playstation Orbis potential specs revealed by digital foundry

I'm hoping that they throw an SSD in there, but I know that would jack up the price significantly. I'm not really excited for the newer consoles, I'm content with my two Xbox 360's, and Metal Gear Solid Bundle PS3.

As long as its below $450 MSRP and Sony promises full PS3 backwards compatibility, I wouldn't mind getting one at launch to upgrade from my loud heat producing phat PS3.

The rumored specs sounds like a good balance of energy consumption and power. Hardware gets obsolete very fast, but a quality made and designed device will last much longer.

If Sony provides full BC and lets me use my four Dual Shock 3s, I'll toss it out there and say I'll spend 600 AGAIN. I didn't care about that price because I didn't have to hear whining kids crying and yelling on mike. That fact alone gave me huge peace of mind and I loved it.

What I didn't love was the fact that I had Heavenly Sword as my only game for three months.

[quote name='8bitArtist']needs more memory[/QUOTE]
Not really, top end cards today have 4GB GDDR5. The card that is supposedly in the PS4 is an underclocked 7970m. I won't pretend to understand everything I'm saying but I can tell you I looked and that card normally sold has only 2GB of GDDR5 memory.

So apparently this is a modified (underclocked but with more memory) version for the console? Again I don't really understand how it all works but those are the facts/rumors as I know. Bottom line is it's no lightweight.

512MB of that 4GB is apparently reserved for the OS meaning there's roughly 3.5gb GDDR5 (NOT the slower DDR3 memory) for the games, which again is more than enough for todays games. Also keep in mind this is a video game console and not a computer. It's focus will be on games and graphics without the fluff you get with a computer.

If I'm understanding all the rumored specs to me it seems like PS4 is going more for a graphical games standpoint while MS is going more for a complete entertainment system w/ apps and all that. Obviously both systems are trying to please everyone and neither is a slouch. We're probably going to have some great console wars in the next few years.

There's also rumors that the new controller has some biometrics and an lcd screen. Biometrics as in sensors that can tell your heart rate or your body temperature. Personally I think this is retarded and a gimmick to the extreme. I also don't need a god damn lcd screen on my controller. I hope they just make a slightly redesigned DS controller with better triggers. If they do that and make some crazy stupid controller, great. Just let me use a normal ass controller though for all games.

Umm that's not on the graphics card. That's the system memory like in your computer. Iirc both the PS3 and X360 have 1GB of ram but the PS3 reserves half to the OS currently. 4GB sounds fine to me but then again most people put in 8 gb into their system now at the minimum so hopefully if specs are true that doesn't come back to bite them in the ass like it did on the PS3.

[quote name='Thongsy']Umm that's not on the graphics card. That's the system memory like in your computer. Iirc both the PS3 and X360 have 1GB of ram but the PS3 reserves half to the OS currently. 4GB sounds fine to me but then again most people put in 8 gb into their system now at the minimum so hopefully if specs are true that doesn't come back to bite them in the ass like it did on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading and maybe I'm confused. GDDR5 = graphics memory based off of DDR3. That 4GB of memory is on the graphics card, it's a GPU (from the way I understand it). 512MB of that 4GB is reserved for the OS and other features. The Xbox is rumored to be 8GB DDR3 (more generalized RAM like what you're talking about) with anywhere from 1-3GB reserved for the OS. So it's 3.5GB GDDR5 vs 5-7GB DDR3 for gaming purposes.

So the PS4 has half the amount of memory, but it is a faster type of memory. The Xbox would have say an 8GB stick of memory like you buy on Amazon and the PS4 would be like if you bought a video card off of Amazon. They're built differently.

Again that's the way I'm understanding it. Not necessarily the way it is.

And I think the PS3 uses around 50MB for it's OS out of 512MB total. There is 256MB dedicated for gaming and the other 256MB can be used as needed (checked on google so don't know for sure just like everything else I said)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShockandAww']I've been reading and maybe I'm confused. GDDR5 = graphics memory based off of DDR3. That 4GB of memory is on the graphics card, it's a GPU (from the way I understand it). 512MB of that 4GB is reserved for the OS and other features. The Xbox is rumored to be 8GB DDR3 (more generalized RAM like what you're talking about) with anywhere from 1-3GB reserved for the OS. So it's 3.5GB GDDR5 vs 5-7GB DDR3 for gaming purposes.

So the PS4 has half the amount of memory, but it is a faster type of memory. The Xbox would have say an 8GB stick of memory like you buy on Amazon and the PS4 would be like if you bought a video card off of Amazon. They're built differently.

Again that's the way I'm understanding it. Not necessarily the way it is.

And I think the PS3 uses around 50MB for it's OS out of 512MB total. There is 256MB dedicated for gaming and the other 256MB can be used as needed (checked on google so don't know for sure just like everything else I said)[/QUOTE]
Yes, you're correct in your assumptions. GDDR5 is built in memory on GPUs, while DDR3 is the normal modules you install on the motherboard as system memory. Having the memory built into the GPU means faster transfer speeds.

Max transfer speeds:
GDDR5 3,500MT/s
DDR3 2,133MT/s

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm hoping that they throw an SSD in there, but I know that would jack up the price significantly. I'm not really excited for the newer consoles, I'm content with my two Xbox 360's, and Metal Gear Solid Bundle PS3.[/QUOTE]

You have 2 360s?

i have 2 ps3's along with my other current gen systems, it's not that uncommon. I said i would hold off on a ps4, but with these rising rumors....I know I won't be able to resist

[quote name='8bitArtist']needs more memory[/QUOTE]

Negatice. "4GB GDDR5" That's some fast memory, and if only 512MB is reserved for the OS, that's 3.5GB for games. More than enough if games will be rendered in 1080p60fps (and possibly 3D). If I read correctly, GDDR is specifically tailored for gaming performance, while DDR3 is suited for PC performance. Simply put, GDDR5 has far more bandwidth/speed versus DDR3.

Assuming Sony can pack the entire OS into 512MB (should be no problem), 3.5GB of GDDR5 memory is more than enough for games. On the PC gaming side, most 1GB cards can support 1080p, just to give you an idea of the amount of memory needed.

MY concern is the 1.6GHz clock. Yes, there are 8 cores, but I would have liked at least 1.8-2.0GHz. It may not seem like much, but at the very least, 1-2 of those cores are likely going to be reserved for OS tasks. Really excited to see what ultimately gets announced :)

[quote name='Thongsy']Umm that's not on the graphics card. That's the system memory like in your computer. Iirc both the PS3 and X360 have 1GB of ram but the PS3 reserves half to the OS currently. 4GB sounds fine to me but then again most people put in 8 gb into their system now at the minimum so hopefully if specs are true that doesn't come back to bite them in the ass like it did on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 and 360 both have 512MB MAX. The 360 uses...around 30MB maybe? I haven't seen an article lately regarding it, I'm pretty sure it's around 30MB. That leaves roughly 482MB for developers to use (plus 10MB of eDRAM). The PS3 also has 512MB, however, its memory is split into 256MB of XDR RAM for the CPU, and 256MB of GDDR3 RAM. THe OS uses around 40-45MB I believe. So 512MB for the OS on the PS4, with 3.5GB for games is more than enough.

So anyone with decent knowledge of the CELL think that the new 8 core CPU will allow PS3 backwards compatibility or possible emulation mode?

One other thing, can we get a 10x or faster Blu Ray drive please? And DS3 backwards compatibility?

I just hope they bring back the boomarang controllers. Not really, they need to get rid of those tiny controllers they have now. Unless youre a little girl they are just too small for a normal person to use comfortably.

[quote name='waldo21212']So anyone with decent knowledge of the CELL think that the new 8 core CPU will allow PS3 backwards compatibility or possible emulation mode?

One other thing, can we get a 10x or faster Blu Ray drive please? And DS3 backwards compatibility?[/QUOTE]

Architecture is completely different...honestly, the only way Sony is giving us PS3 BC is if they include the cell and RSX OR software emulation. Secret option C could be cloud-based through Gaikai (or whatever Sony calls it). Personally, I've hoping for Gaikai. Just pop in a PS3 disc, the app will verify what game it is, and then launch it through the cloud. It's not an optimal solution if your internet goes out, or you have bandwidth caps, but it's an option?

As far as the Blu-ray drive, we need at least an 8x drive, but I'm hoping Sony are smart and include a 12x. That should provide more than enough bandwidth for loading games. A 12x blu-ray drive would deliver roughly 54MB/s. It'll still take about 19 seconds to fill 1GB of memory, but with streaming tech, I'm sure load times won't be an issue.

a report states that the Xbox 720 will have significantly more RAM. The machine will have 8Gb of RAM, with 3Gb sidelined for the operating system, apps and security.That leaves 5Gb purely for games.

im just waiting for it to be skyrim all over again.

[quote name='8bitArtist']a report states that the Xbox 720 will have significantly more RAM. The machine will have 8Gb of RAM, with 3Gb sidelined for the operating system, apps and security.That leaves 5Gb purely for games.

im just waiting for it to be skyrim all over again.[/QUOTE]

The rumors say 4GB GDDR5 for PS4 vs 8GB DDR3 for Xbox. They are 2 different types of RAM, with GDDR5 being faster than DDR3 and made for graphics power. DDR3 is more general memory for graphics and everything else (operating system and programs/apps and such). The GDDR5 is optimized and geared toward graphical power. Again I don't know the technical difference other than to tell you the GDDR5 has more bandwidth. If you ask me exactly wtf that means, I don't know other than to tell you it does some shit faster.

Here is the best dumbed down explanation I could find, and keep in mind this is for DDR3 vs GDDR3 (which is worse/older tech than the GDDR5 that the PS4 is rumored to be using).

On the flipside the Xbox is rumored to possibly have some other type of memory to make up for the slower DDR3 RAM. So nobody really knows which is more powerful and even if we know the specs for sure people probably still wont really know exactly how things are going to turn out. Bottom line is both are going to be a big step up from what we currently have and we're going to see some awesome games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='8bitArtist']a report states that the Xbox 720 will have significantly more RAM. The machine will have 8Gb of RAM, with 3Gb sidelined for the operating system, apps and security.That leaves 5Gb purely for games.

im just waiting for it to be skyrim all over again.[/QUOTE]

5 gb of DDR3 ram on 360 vs. 3.5 gb of GDDR5 ram for PS4. The question is if the speed difference of the PS4 memory makes up for the 1.5 gb difference in size.

Sorry I'm not done I like to speculate. I think Sony will have the focus on games (think of how far they've pulled ahead with their exclusives) while MS will focus on getting the next Xbox into every single home they can (like a Wii that does not suck).

That's not to say Xbox wont have exclusives and the PS4 won't have apps and other crap like that, just that the focus will continue to basically be just as it is right now for each company.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Sorry I'm not done I like to speculate. I think Sony will have the focus on games (think of how far they've pulled ahead with their exclusives) while MS will focus on getting the next Xbox into every single home they can (like a Wii that does not suck).

That's not to say Xbox wont have exclusives and the PS4 won't have apps and other crap like that, just that the focus will continue to basically be just as it is right now for each company.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if MS continues to charge you for the ability to use another service you already pay for on the next Xbox, people will (hopefully) get wise about it.

I have no desire to pay for Xbox live just for the ability to use other "apps" on the next Xbox.

[quote name='waldo21212']I have no desire to pay for Xbox live just for the ability to use other "apps" on the next Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Me either which is why I'd buy a PS4 over a Xbox most likely (honestly I'll probably be buying both). However we see that people are willing to pay for Live so to each their own I suppose. Hopefully PS4 adds that cross game chat and such and people paying for Live will realize that it's ridiculous to pay a sub for it and try the PS4 next gen.

The thing I hope is that Sony doesn't follow suit next gen and charge just to play online or for something as ridiculous as Netflix. I find it crazy you have to have a gold account just for Netflix. I've owned an Xbox for years but have never once paid for a Live sub. I simply don't game online or use Netflix on the Xbox because of it.

At this point the only reason I own an Xbox is because there's an exclusive or two I want to play and my family likes Dance Central. If it were up to me it'd be out the door so I could have some more money to go toward the next gen consoles.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Me either which is why I'd buy a PS4 over a Xbox most likely (honestly I'll probably be buying both). However we see that people are willing to pay for Live so to each their own I suppose. Hopefully PS4 adds that cross game chat and such and people paying for Live will realize that it's ridiculous to pay a sub for it and try the PS4 next gen.

The thing I hope is that Sony doesn't follow suit next gen and charge just to play online or for something as ridiculous as Netflix. I find it crazy you have to have a gold account just for Netflix. I've owned an Xbox for years but have never once paid for a Live sub. I simply don't game online or use Netflix on the Xbox because of it.

At this point the only reason I own an Xbox is because there's an exclusive or two I want to play and my family likes Dance Central. If it were up to me it'd be out the door so I could have some more money to go toward the next gen consoles.[/QUOTE]

i would definitely hold off on buying the next gen xbox. Due to the previous issues with rrod on the early release models of xbox 360, when it was first released.

[quote name='YBX87']i would definitely hold off on buying the next gen xbox. Due to the previous issues with rrod on the early release models of xbox 360, when it was first released.[/QUOTE]

Well if I used just my brain for crap like this I'd hold off on both but I already know that's not going to happen. I may very well get whichever one I decide I want most and hold off on the other though.

[quote name='elessar123']Another 8 cores? I think I made the right decision going back to PC.[/QUOTE]

Cause that tells you everything right?

So what'll make you buy this over an Xbox? Or vice versa?

I honestly don't think it'll matter who ends up with the slightly more powerful graphical machine this time around. Xbox could easily be lower spec and still win the console wars or vice versa. It seems like regardless they are going to be pretty close spec wise to the point people won't notice or care.

For me I think all it will take is for Sony to continue to make online play free with the PS+ sub staying as is. As long as they do that and don't do anything anti consumer then I'm probably on board with Sony. No $599 pricing, no bs gimmicks that drive up price, absolutely no anti used game DRM schemes, and so on and so forth.

As of right now it seems like Sony's got the hype on their side. Gamers want a gaming machine and that's what Sony seems to be delivering. Of course that could change in a heartbeat with the next round of rumors/announcements.

Also Sony is in position to announce a flurry of exclusive titles around the time the next gen consoles should be launching. I honestly hope MS has some kind of killer app up their sleeves just to keep things interesting.

So what would make me go with Xbox over Sony? That'd be tougher but if I could play online for free and watch my subscription of Netflix for free it'd be a great start for them. If they don't do this I can easily see myself buying a PS4 over Xbox simply out of spite.

The only other big thing that could make me buy an Xbox over a PS4 is if we see that multiplat games for whatever reason are superior on Xbox again.

Personally, Sony NEEDS something similar to Kinect. I haven't used my Move is months simply because having to hold a peripheral isn't ideal. Voice control would also be ideal simply for the sake of matching competitors. Free online would be nice, but if it's rolled into PS+ I'm OK with that as well.

I want a faster playstation store on ps4. The revamped store is just too slow for me and hard to navigate imo. And hopefully it will be backwards compatible with ps3 games at least considering they probably be using the same optical media (blu rays) for games.

[quote name='musha666']I just hope they bring back the boomarang controllers. Not really, they need to get rid of those tiny controllers they have now. Unless youre a little girl they are just too small for a normal person to use comfortably.[/QUOTE]

You know, as much as I hear this complaint, I just don't get it. I myself have big hands and have never had any issues using a DS3 - I prefer them as a matter of fact. I can game with one for hours on end without even the slightest bit of discomfort... I think it's more of a matter of personal preference than an issue with DS3's being to small. Theres a reason why they haven't changed anything after all these years.

A bit more on topic, I'm starting to get pretty excited about the new wave of consoles. As long as there are at least two games I want at launch, this will be my first Playstation day one home console purchase.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']I want a faster playstation store on ps4. The revamped store is just too slow for me and hard to navigate imo. And hopefully it will be backwards compatible with ps3 games at least considering they probably be using the same optical media (blu rays) for games.[/QUOTE]

This, I totally hate the new store. I'm hoping that they have all the issues ironed out before PS4 launch... I actually wouldn't mind something completely different, I pretty much hate everything about the new store design.

[quote name='SynGamer']Personally, Sony NEEDS something similar to Kinect. I haven't used my Move is months simply because having to hold a peripheral isn't ideal. Voice control would also be ideal simply for the sake of matching competitors. Free online would be nice, but if it's rolled into PS+ I'm OK with that as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh God, please no. I've had Move since launch, It's cool and all, but I hardly ever use it and I've found that I prefer NOT having to use it. I've just gotten a Kinect a couple weeks ago and no, that thing is ass too... Both forms need to die off this generation.

I am also an advocate of keeping it simple, so NO Move-like bundle, no backward-compatibility, no composite av cables, and one sku. Basically, an affordable, genuine next-gen console.

[quote name='Mixer236']This, I totally hate the new store. I'm hoping that they have all the issues ironed out before PS4 launch... I actually wouldn't mind something completely different, I pretty much hate everything about the new store design.

Oh God, please no. I've had Move since launch, It's cool and all, but I hardly ever use it and I've found that I prefer NOT having to use it. I've just gotten a Kinect a couple weeks ago and no, that thing is ass too... Both forms need to die off this generation.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you on both points. I don't completely hate the new store but it being so slow makes it a pain to navigate. As for Move I have had that since day 1 and used it for about a month or two. My brother has kinect but never uses it and I tried and it's the same nonsense. Get rid of both for next gen.

[quote name='Mixer236']Oh God, please no. I've had Move since launch, It's cool and all, but I hardly ever use it and I've found that I prefer NOT having to use it. I've just gotten a Kinect a couple weeks ago and no, that thing is ass too... Both forms need to die off this generation.[/QUOTE]

As I said, I do NOT want another Move. I want Kinect 2.0 (but for PS4). Using the Move controller just plain sucked. But the Kinect, while flawed, is a far better implementation of motion controls. Improve the camera/software and I'm interested. This needs to be built/bundled with the PS4 though, none of this extra purchase crap that developers won't support.

I might be mistaken here... but wasn't the reason why the 360 had to do software emulation of original Xbox games because the GPUs were made by different companies (Nvidia for Xbox, ATI/AMD for 360)? So there's a possibility that we could run into the same issue here. And based on Sony's stance towards PS2 BC, I don't think we'll get full PS3 BC (if any).

I'm interested to see if Sony uses an A8 (or similar) processor or if it's just a regular 8 core AMD processor. An A8 could make for an interesting choice with regards to power and cost efficiency. They've definitely stuck in a crapload of RAM... and fast RAM too.

[quote name='Vinny']I might be mistaken here... but wasn't the reason why the 360 had to do software emulation of original Xbox games because the GPUs were made by different companies (Nvidia for Xbox, ATI/AMD for 360)? So there's a possibility that we could run into the same issue here. And based on Sony's stance towards PS2 BC, I don't think we'll get full PS3 BC (if any).

I'm interested to see if Sony uses an A8 (or similar) processor or if it's just a regular 8 core AMD processor. An A8 could make for an interesting choice with regards to power and cost efficiency. They've definitely stuck in a crapload of RAM... and fast RAM too.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was the CPU architecture, not GPU. The og xbox used x86, and the 360 is powerPC (mac).

same reason apple and pc software are not mixable.

[quote name='SynGamer']As I said, I do NOT want another Move. I want Kinect 2.0 (but for PS4). Using the Move controller just plain sucked. But the Kinect, while flawed, is a far better implementation of motion controls. Improve the camera/software and I'm interested. This needs to be built/bundled with the PS4 though, none of this extra purchase crap that developers won't support.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, at least Move usually woks when you want it to. But even then it's still a pain to use and a much prefer using a DS3 in any game over a Move controller(it basically only gets use when my wife wants to play Just Dance). WHEN you can get the Kinect to actually work, it still feels unimpressive and silly. I wouldn't mind having voice commands stick around, but the whole motion controller things have to go.

[quote name='Mixer236']I disagree, at least Move usually woks when you want it to. But even then it's still a pain to use and a much prefer using a DS3 in any game over a Move controller(it basically only gets use when my wife wants to play Just Dance). WHEN you can get the Kinect to actually work, it still feels unimpressive and silly. I wouldn't mind having voice commands stick around, but the whole motion controller things have to go.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I dunno, I'm more of a PS3 fan than Xbox but I'd agree that Kinect is better and has a much brighter future than Move. I don't really think the tech was there with this gen and they should have both just waited until this next gen (if they insist..).

It's highly annoying on both when you have to sit there and calibrate then recalibrate and even then the accuracy that I'd want just isn't there most of the time.

However I know it's been rumored that Kinect 2.0 has individual finger tracking. If it can get that precise, they can get rid of as much lag as possible, and keep it accurate, I really think it'll be here to stay. Maybe Move will as well but I dont know. It just doesn't seem as future proof to me.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Hmm I dunno, I'm more of a PS3 fan than Xbox but I'd agree that Kinect is better and has a much brighter future than Move. I don't really think the tech was there with this gen and they should have both just waited until this next gen (if they insist..).

It's highly annoying on both when you have to sit there and calibrate then recalibrate and even then the accuracy that I'd want just isn't there most of the time.

However I know it's been rumored that Kinect 2.0 has individual finger tracking. If it can get that precise, they can get rid of as much lag as possible, and keep it accurate, I really think it'll be here to stay. Maybe Move will as well but I dont know. It just doesn't seem as future proof to me.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like either of them. Neither has been able to grasp me as something I'd like to play around with for more than 10 minutes at a time... But I've not had an issue with Move not working, where as Kinect seems to only work 50% of the time for me. Even though Kinect seems like it'd be something that'd be much harder to make just right than a Move wand, and perhaps with time they might be able to get the right revisions done, I'm still just not interested.

I like my normal controllers with buttons. :bouncy:

[quote name='Mixer236']I like my normal controllers with buttons. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

yessir :) Really hoping that both consoles just come with a maybe slightly improved but otherwise just standard controller. Gimmicks just really annoy me since it drives up price and shoves crap down my throat that I never asked for.

bread's done
Back