is it safe to use my PS3 in DMZ

ashtonreeves

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
hello guys & girls!! do you think it's safe for the system? to use it on routers DMZ? I already done it for both my xbox 360 & PS3. but I gave the same ip address for both systems (DMZ ip address). but I only i use one console at a time. so I think all is good. and online is working for both of them.

please advice me if you know about this.

thanks

[quote name='king9x']Is there a reason why you want it on the DMZ?[/QUOTE]

May have issues with PS3 NAT type in certain games. NAT 3 = sucks.

when i start a game, it asks to update it. i tried updating but the % never move. it just doesnt update. i can download stuff from PSN store fine. anyone know how to fix this?

Alright, so I use qBittorent 24/7 for anime which means it's seeding practically 24/7. I've noticed that I ONLY get the "Ethernet cable not connected" error on my PS3 when qB is running. If I put my PS3 in DMZ, should that resolve the issue? If I understand DMZ correctly, it's basically 1 IP address for that particular machine and ALL traffic is allowed through, no router blocking what-so-ever?

What is should do versus what it does will probably depend on your router.
A DMZ should: Isolate its traffic from everything else on your internal network

Thus your internal network traffic should never touch your DMZ with the exception of going out to the Internet. You cannot control that unless you get a second outside connection.

Syn - it is worth a try. It really depends if it is qB causing a problem on the internal network or if it is sufficiently throttling your bandwidth and bleeding dry other connections. Can you throttle qB (max up/down)? If so I would try that as well.

[quote name='jmbreci']What is should do versus what it does will probably depend on your router.
A DMZ should: Isolate its traffic from everything else on your internal network

Thus your internal network traffic should never touch your DMZ with the exception of going out to the Internet. You cannot control that unless you get a second outside connection.

Syn - it is worth a try. It really depends if it is qB causing a problem on the internal network or if it is sufficiently throttling your bandwidth and bleeding dry other connections. Can you throttle qB (max up/down)? If so I would try that as well.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, qB can be running but not actively seeding or downloading and we'll still get the "ethernet cable is not connected" error. I've had qB turned off since early yesterday and not a single problem...so I'm fairly certain it's qB.

Torrent clients are notorious for saturating networks to the point where you have to power cycle components. I'd recommend setting at least the upload speed to around 80%-90% of your max and limiting the number of active torrents to 3-5.

After that, power cycle everything; PS3, PC, router/modem/gateway. Then see if it persists.

It's also a good idea to turn off the media server option in the PS3's settings as that reserves a chunk of bandwidth for streaming.

Other than that you can look at things in Windows like the QoS Packet Scheduler and so forth to see if bandwidth is being reserved elsewhere.

bread's done
Back