[DEAD] Spec Ops: The Line $5 PC Download @ Gamefly

Thank you so much for this. I missed it in the Steam sales due to a luck of funds and have been waiting to catch it on the cheap ever since.

yeah def shooter of the year 2012. do you still think you are the hero?
i loved captain walker's... progression/descent.
at the beginning he is all like, 'get that guy', at the end he's just 'fuck him up!'
such a great character arc...even the main menu is art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-WvKTeTU4
SOTL-Concept-Art-4.jpg

Got one, thanks op. Just wish I would have used my editor coupon to get it cheaper on amazon. Ah well though still a good price for the game.

I don't get how you guys can recommend this game for the story line..it made absolutely no sense...there was not anyway to progress without going down the book that they wrote out for you. It just felt like a bunch of liberal propaganda at the end. Totally made me feel like an asshole. Also fuck!!!! all of you for telling me shooter of the year 2012.

BTW, why tell me to stop playing the game? (in game dialogue) over and over and over and over and over..wtf? why did I pay to play it? buncha dicks.

TL;DR Hate this game for it's story line. Apparently I'm the only one.

[quote name='azrael888']I don't get how you guys can recommend this game for the story line..it made absolutely no sense...there was not anyway to progress without going down the book that they wrote out for you. It just felt like a bunch of liberal propaganda at the end. Totally made me feel like an asshole. Also fuck!!!! all of you for telling me shooter of the year 2012.

BTW, why tell me to stop playing the game? (in game dialogue) over and over and over and over and over..wtf? why did I pay to play it? buncha dicks.

TL;DR Hate this game for it's story line. Apparently I'm the only one.[/QUOTE]

Spoilers ahead.

You feel like an asshole? That’s the point. You (either as the main character or person controlling him) wanted to be a hero and set out to save the city and not only did you fail but in the process you did terrible things, essentially the exact opposite of the goal. These events wouldn’t occur if you stopped at any moment or if you hadn’t played the game but you can’t know that until it’s too late, and then there’s always the hope that you can undo or make up for your actions. The goal is to be a hero, but your method of achieving that goal is to kill hundreds of people and destroy infrastructure…not very heroic. Yes, you can’t really avoid doing the wrong thing but that's the only way to get the point across. I see it as the developer showing you that choice in games is an illusion because in any game you are just doing exactly what the designers wanted.

The interactivity of the game is used against you, similar to what Bioshock did, in order to make an impact and get you to think differently. The game keeps telling you to stop with dialogue and in loading screens, and what did you do? You kept playing because you thought “I won’t die this time” or “I can save my squad mate” or “I want to see the end” which mimics what the main character is thinking, even if your thoughts are for different reasons (most likely: I paid for a game, I’m going to play it). It’s a clever and unique trick that sets the game apart.

I won’t argue “best of the year” type stuff because that’s opinion, but the story is the main reason anyone should play this because the mechanics lack the polish of other shooters, and the Dubai setting is under-utilized. The game is overrated, however, the story, message, and little innovative touches (like the squad dialogue changing as the mood shifts or using replaying sections to emphasize that Walker has gone crazy) make Spec Ops worthwhile.

I also don’t see this game as being political at all. It just happens to use soldiers to tell a story and convey ideas.

About 6-7 hours to complete singleplayer and find all the hidden intelligence items (which dole out snippets of back story in audio file form). Deeply satisfying single player and well worth $5 for that part alone.

The multiplayer is dead, dead, dead so if you want to play co-op (4 separate co-op maps, there is no co-op campaign option) you better have a friend to play with though the maps can be played by yourself in a pinch. The multiplayer developer basically repurposed sections of the single player campaign, changed a few features around, and gave them new objectives.

Re: lack of choice
The game begins in the middle of a helicopter battle and then jump cuts to "Earlier..." just as the helicopter crashes. One of the interpretations of the story is that this jump back in time is actually Walker playing back the events of the past 36 hours in his mind as he lay unconscious after the crash. Little things he can imagine changing, but BIG things it is important to his sanity that he cling to the delusion that he "had no choice." If he HAD a choice and did the catastrophically wrong thing, then he can no longer cling to the delusion that he is a hero.

Once you've played the game to its conclusion, check out this thread for links to various interviews and opinion pieces which delve into the story, themes, and making of the game.

Same here. Must have expired already. I own this on 360 already, so I'll take lesser graphics in exchange for drastically improved control experience. I was going to pick up a second copy for $5 (can't go wrong) as this is a great game. But oh well.

bread's done
Back