The math behind how long we have to do highschool homework as calculated by myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

delsus09

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I was just working on an essay on whether a 9-month or a 1-year school year would be better when I accidentally went off-topic & started making calculations on how much time on average there is to do homework. I thought it would be a waste to simply delete it, so I'll be posting it here for you guys to read before I get back to my work. It's short, but, well, go ahead & enjoy it:

"[FONT=&quot] If a student is at school for six hours per day (or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]¼ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]of the day), that averages out to about eleven & 1/2 hours of the day available towards completing their homework or other activities. This may, at first, appear to be false. However, I’ve calculated this information by subtracting the average 5-6 hours that a typical student will sleep, 10-40 minutes of getting to/from school, eating for 15-30 minutes, & using the restroom/brushing their teeth for 10-15 minutes total. This adds up to 5.58 – 7.41 hours. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]5.58 + 6 (hours of the school day) = 11.58. 24 – 11.58 = [/FONT][FONT=&quot]12.42[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7.41 + 6 (once again, hours of the school day) = 13.41. 24 – 13.41 = [/FONT][FONT=&quot]10.59[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

The median of these two numbers = 11.505, or as I stated above, [FONT=&quot]eleven & 1/2 hours. Thus, we have 11.5 hours in a single school-day to do homework, disregarding other activities, detentions, & irregularities (such as a late ride).

Well, I'm off to do 10-11 late Geometry assignments I have to turn in tomorrow :roll: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](No, really).
[/FONT]
Good night, CAG's.

NOTE: The typical s
[/FONT]leep range could/should likely be more-so around 5-7 or 6-8 hours. Most high-school students still do not get enough sleep, though:

http://www.cfah.org/hbns/archives/ge...cumentID=22165

"Only about 8 percent of high school students get enough sleep on an average school night, a large new study finds. The others are living with borderline-to-serious sleep deficits that could lead to daytime drowsiness, depression, headaches and poor performance at school."

"The authors found that 10 percent of adolescents sleep only five hours and 23 percent sleep only six hours on an average school night. More females than males have sleep deficits as do more African-Americans and whites compared to Hispanics. Nearly 20 percent more 12th-grade students have sleep deficits than do those in ninth grade."

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...eens-and-sleep

"Biological sleep patterns shift toward later times for both sleeping and waking during adolescence -- meaning it is natural to not be able to fall asleep before 11:00 pm."

"Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights. "

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in high school (graduated 2008) I only spent maybe an hour and a half each day on homework and I always had free weekends, so it's pretty easy to fit that little bit in with 11 and a half hours.

I work full-time and then come home and do 4-5 hours of work. Better example: I have friends who work full-time and then go to school. Moral of the story: Quit your bitching, kid.

[quote name='Chase']I work full-time and then come home and do 4-5 hours of work. Better example: I have friends who work full-time and then go to school. Moral of the story: Quit your bitching, kid.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't bitching, I was doing some simple mathematics. You should get your head out of your egotistic ass & consider that I wasn't bitching, & simply stating that I need to procrastinate less & do my homework on a regular basis (be more disciplined). If the rolling eyes emoticon gave you the idea I was bitching, it wasn't used in the "Oh my god, this sucks ass, arrghhh, my life is a bitch, everyone else has it easier than me!"-etc. manner either, it was done in the "I'm foolish to have waited so long to do my work, now I'll have to stay up later than a healthy high-school student should to complete all of my classes' assignments as they're all due tomorrow; on the day my finals begin." Insomnia doesn't help as it is.

"Moral of the story"/ Summarization: "Your egotistical comment was unnecessary & only made you look like an ass."

[quote name='elessar123']Most kids sleep 5-6 hours? I sort of doubt that.[/QUOTE]

You're likely correct; it's probably more like 5-7 or 6-8 hours. The majority of them are still sleep-deprived, though:

http://www.cfah.org/hbns/archives/getDocument.cfm?documentID=22165

"Only about 8 percent of high school students get enough sleep on an average school night, a large new study finds. The others are living with borderline-to-serious sleep deficits that could lead to daytime drowsiness, depression, headaches and poor performance at school."

"The authors found that 10 percent of adolescents sleep only five hours and 23 percent sleep only six hours on an average school night. More females than males have sleep deficits as do more African-Americans and whites compared to Hispanics. Nearly 20 percent more 12th-grade students have sleep deficits than do those in ninth grade."

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/teens-and-sleep

"Biological sleep patterns shift toward later times for both sleeping and waking during adolescence -- meaning it is natural to not be able to fall asleep before 11:00 pm."

"Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights. "

[quote name='CaptainJoel']When I was in high school (graduated 2008) I only spent maybe an hour and a half each day on homework and I always had free weekends, so it's pretty easy to fit that little bit in with 11 and a half hours.[/QUOTE]

Mmm. You need to keep in mind the activities, detentions, & irregularities that could break that down a lot. Regardless, most high-schoolers should have enough time to do their homework (especially someone like yourself, who would spend 1-1 & 1/2 hours on their homework per day).

[quote name='elessar123']Most kids sleep 5-6 hours? I sort of doubt that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, when I was kid I slept at least 8-9 hours.

[quote name='MisterModest']Yeah, when I was kid I slept at least 8-9 hours.[/QUOTE]

As I stated above (& edited on the first post), it looks like it's more-so around 5-7 or 6-8 hours. School systems may have also changed since the time you were a child, which could explain your sleep-time difference; I wouldn't know, though.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the increased population & late-night activities could be the thing that would notch an hour or possibly two down from what you stated (equaling 7-8 hours if you were a highschool student in these times). Just another thought.

Your numbers don't really take into account that while at school there are probably times you could be doing your homework. When I was in high school (class of 2005) I had plenty of periods off and often would use those and classes where I didn't need to pay a lot of attention to get homework done so that I didn't have to do it when I got home.

Also I find shrugging off other activities kind of funny since when I was in high school I was on the football team and that included 2 hour or more practices every day plus time spent going to games which was dependent on when the game was and how far away it was, that isn't a small amount of time during the school week.

Even beyond football I was also taking community college classes to learn Japanese and programming in the evenings after football practice and that continued into the Spring semester when I didn't have football.

But again I honestly learned how to manage my time in such a way that I rarely had to deal with too much school work during time I wasn't in school or on the weekends when I had more free time.

[quote name='icebeast']Your numbers don't really take into account that while at school there are probably times you could be doing your homework. When I was in high school (class of 2005) I had plenty of periods off and often would use those and classes where I didn't need to pay a lot of attention to get homework done so that I didn't have to do it when I got home.

Also I find shrugging off other activities kind of funny since when I was in high school I was on the football team and that included 2 hour or more practices every day plus time spent going to games which was dependent on when the game was and how far away it was, that isn't a small amount of time during the school week.

Even beyond football I was also taking community college classes to learn Japanese and programming in the evenings after football practice and that continued into the Spring semester when I didn't have football.

But again I honestly learned how to manage my time in such a way that I rarely had to deal with too much school work during time I wasn't in school or on the weekends when I had more free time.[/QUOTE]

Mmm, that's a good thing to note, but this is a calculation on the typical highschool student, whom I'd (personally) think would not manage their time in the way you did. Granted, a good many people probably have (& do), & this could change some of my results. This system of yours could also be categorized as an "irregularity", though. Thanks for the information/your thoughts.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']What is the point of this thread?[/QUOTE]

I was working on an essay (one I need to finish tonight...procrastination) about the benefits & disadvantages between 9-month school-year systems & 1-year/12-month school-year systems, & I went off-topic. I finished my calculations, & thought I'd drop it here, since I was already signed in, & thought it'd be nice to see some people's responses. I didn't (& really don't) see it benefiting many people in a more serious or important matter, but I thought that perhaps a few people might be interested in my short bit of research. To summarize what I just stated, " I thought it would be a waste to simply delete it."

[quote name='delsus09']I was working on an essay (one I need to finish tonight...procrastination) about the benefits & disadvantages between 9-month school-year systems & 1-year/12-month school-year systems, & I went off-topic. I finished my calculations, & thought I'd drop it here, since I was already signed in, & thought it'd be nice to see some people's responses. I didn't (& really don't) see it benefiting many people in a more serious or important matter, but I thought that perhaps a few people might be interested in my short bit of research. To summarize what I just stated, " I thought it would be a waste to simply delete it."[/QUOTE]

Nah, definitely not a waste. Plus, you wasted a bunch of time both doing these "calculations" and posting it here/reading and responding to comments.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Nah, definitely not a waste. Plus, you wasted a bunch of time both doing these "calculations" and posting it here/reading and responding to comments.[/QUOTE]
Your sarcasm/joke does not amuse me. I've learned how I should begin studies/calculations of a similar nature to this one in the future, if I would ever need to. Granted, it won't do anything for me right now, but knowledge is knowledge. In fact, now I know not to post stuff like this onto CAG again, because some people on here seem to lack the ability to speak to a person younger than themselves with sincerity. I appreciate people who point out my mistakes to me; that way I can fix them, & improve upon what I make, do, & discover. You've done nothing of the sort.

On a side-note, congratulations, you've also wasted your time reading my response(s) & responding in this short conversation.:applause:

[quote name='Rosterking']Did you really add this to your essay? If you did, it's a waste of time and space on it.[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't. In case you didn't read my introduction, I stated that I went off-topic. I also stated that I was just earlier working on it. In addition to that, I stated that I would be getting back to my work.

Now, I have things to do, & responding to you with a big, bad statement would be a waste of my time & CAG site-bandwidth. I won't be going to sleep due to an overload of work, & have to do my finals in a few hours. This thread is being closed.

/conversation
/thread

[quote name='delsus09']Your sarcasm/joke does not amuse me. I've learned how I should begin studies/calculations of a similar nature to this one in the future, if I would ever need to. Granted, it won't do anything for me right now, but knowledge is knowledge. In fact, now I know not to post stuff like this onto CAG again, because some people on here seem to lack the ability to speak to a person younger than themselves with sincerity. I appreciate people who point out my mistakes to me; that way I can fix them, & improve upon what I make, do, & discover. You've done nothing of the sort.

On a side-note, congratulations, you've also wasted your time reading my response(s) & responding in this short conversation.:applause:

/conversation
/thread
[/QUOTE]

No, you see, when you're older, and you don't have homework that should have already been done, you are able to do things like read and respond to threads on a forum. But it's okay, little buddy! You're still learning!

Oh, and I have no idea why you enjoy emboldening random bits in every post, but it's unprofessional. Just to let you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back