Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King $25 on Amazon.com

This has always been the price everytime I see it. But I do agree It's great, playing it right now and loving every second of it.

[quote name='diazt350']This has always been the price everytime I see it. But I do agree It's great, playing it right now and loving every second of it.[/QUOTE]

I would kill for an HD coll of this!

Loved this when it came out. Coulda sworn I paid $20 for it 5-6 years ago. Enjoy that FFXII demo that comes with it. :p

Meanwhile, DQVII 3DS remake on the way, hope it comes stateside...

An HD version of DQVIII wouldn't really do much. It's cell shaded, so it still looks great on HDTVs and I believe it supported widescreen out of the box.

I guess this deal is okay for collectors who want a sealed copy, but I can find it used with the original case for around $10 all day.

Has the price of this game been going up? I remember seeing sub - $15 prices on DQVIII (new) for years .

Should make it a ps2 classic for sure- one of my favorite RPGs of all time and don't think there's any other game I've clocked so many hours in

[quote name='JiveT']I think I got to some point in the game where I stopped enjoying it and never went back[/QUOTE]

For me that was about an hour or two into the game. The excessive random battles... yuck...

[quote name='JiveT']I think I got to some point in the game where I stopped enjoying it and never went back[/QUOTE]

I stopped enjoying it and beat it anyway. Waste of 80 hours with no one but my self to blame :cry:

[quote name='Green Card200']I stopped enjoying it and beat it anyway. Waste of 80 hours with no one but my self to blame :cry:[/QUOTE]

I never did understand the acclaim so many people gave it. I didn't think it was good at all. In fact, I thought it was a average to bad JRPG. The cheese factor in the characters was annoying as shit to me (as well as the terrible acting).

[quote name='Blaster man']I never did understand the acclaim so many people gave it. I didn't think it was good at all. In fact, I thought it was a average to bad JRPG. The cheese factor in the characters was annoying as shit to me (as well as the terrible acting).[/QUOTE]

Yep I'm with you. I never got into it, either. Very strange how much love it received. I feel the same way about Persona 4.

[quote name='ProppaT']An HD version of DQVIII wouldn't really do much. It's cell shaded, so it still looks great on HDTVs and I believe it supported widescreen out of the box.[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree, it looks absolutely stunning running on...hrm...what am I allowed to say here? "Better hardware"? ;)

And you have to like old-school JRPGs or you won't enjoy the game, obviously, but if you do it's easily one of the best around.

DQ8 wasn't revolutionary, but it was incredibly charming and had tons of personality. I kind of lost steam toward the end, but I enjoyed almost all of the 105 or so hours I spent with it.

[quote name='argyle']Completely disagree, it looks absolutely stunning running on...hrm...what am I allowed to say here? "Better hardware"? ;)

And you have to like old-school JRPGs or you won't enjoy the game, obviously, but if you do it's easily one of the best around.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It would look stunning with and HD upgrade.
Much like Wind Waker does.

This game is already amazing! The cel-shaded art gives this game most of its charm, so IMO an HD remake is unnecessary. I played this for over 150 hours and loved every second of it. The only way they could make it better is to add more content so I could play it longer.

[quote name='DuffHomer']I would kill for an HD coll of this![/QUOTE]

Me too! The game is great I wouldn't mind playing it again.

[quote name='ProppaT']An HD version of DQVIII wouldn't really do much. It's cell shaded, so it still looks great on HDTVs and I believe it supported widescreen out of the box.

I guess this deal is okay for collectors who want a sealed copy, but I can find it used with the original case for around $10 all day.[/QUOTE]

To me it would, it doesn't really look great on my hdtv.

[quote name='Buuhan1']My favorite game. You owe it to yourself to play this.[/QUOTE]

+1. This was my first Dragon Quest game, but also my favorite PS2 game. Yes, random battles do suck, but I feel that anyone who likes JRPGs owes it to themselves to at least give it a shot.

I actually ordered this last week and it showed up today. I was surprised to see it's the original release with the FF12 demo, still all sealed up.

Playing it on my PS3(60gb phat ftw!) Graphics still look decent considering it runs at 720x480 res. ;)

[quote name='apterous']Meanwhile, DQVII 3DS remake on the way, hope it comes stateside...[/QUOTE]
playing 7 with polygon characters sounds crazy.... and maybe i can finally solve that puzzle in the beginning with the cavmen like wall drawings.

[quote name='Green Card200']I stopped enjoying it and beat it anyway. Waste of 80 hours with no one but my self to blame :cry:[/QUOTE]
i wasted 1000 hours in call of duty with only myself to blame and irrelevant stats

[quote name='darkcecil32']+1. This was my first Dragon Quest game, but also my favorite PS2 game. Yes, random battles do suck, but I feel that anyone who likes JRPGs owes it to themselves to at least give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

DQVIII is definitely in my top 5 PS2 games if not #1 and also probably my favorite JRPG ever. I really hope they make another single-player game in the series on consoles and with a memorable party. I just could get into DQIX due to both it being on DS and the generic player-created party.

[quote name='Killbomb']DQVIII is definitely in my top 5 PS2 games if not #1 and also probably my favorite JRPG ever. I really hope they make another single-player game in the series on consoles and with a memorable party. I just could get into DQIX due to both it being on DS and the generic player-created party.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, not every single DQ needs to be a story based coming of age journey. DQ9 was much closer to DQ3 and 7. A very gameplay focused RPG with highly customizable characters. Since the story will be godawful no matter how you slice it, I usually prefer the gameplay to be the focus personally.

[quote name='Killbomb']DQVIII is definitely in my top 5 PS2 games if not #1 and also probably my favorite JRPG ever. I really hope they make another single-player game in the series on consoles and with a memorable party. I just could get into DQIX due to both it being on DS and the generic player-created party.[/QUOTE]

In my mind, DQ8 was a classic SNES rpg...except on the PS2 and with better graphics :D. I also wasn't a huge fan of DQ9. I started playing it stopped. Considering how rpg starved I've been this console generation (Valkyria Chronicles is the only one I've truly enjoyed, yet to play Xenoblade Chronicles), I was really surprised when I lost interest.

[quote name='Flowstance']Ehh, not every single DQ needs to be a story based coming of age journey. DQ9 was much closer to DQ3 and 7. A very gameplay focused RPG with highly customizable characters. Since the story will be godawful no matter how you slice it, I usually prefer the gameplay to be the focus personally.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough on the first point. I can't speak to the latter as 4/8/9 are the only 3 games I've played, but certain games just have an inherent and intrinsic charm that others don't. This is why I still feel that Final Fantasy 6 is better than 7. I know it sounds wishy-washy, but there was a certain charm that DQ8 that, in my mind at least, 9 failed to replicate.

[quote name='darkcecil32']In my mind, DQ8 was a classic SNES rpg...except on the PS2 and with better graphics :D. I also wasn't a huge fan of DQ9. I started playing it stopped. Considering how rpg starved I've been this console generation (Valkyria Chronicles is the only one I've truly enjoyed, yet to play Xenoblade Chronicles), I was really surprised when I lost interest.
[/QUOTE]

You need to play Xenoblade Chronicles if you liked DQ VIII so much.

I loved both DQ VIII and DQ IX though. I spent 150-160 hours or more on both (did all the Dragovian trials and a lot of the optional stuff in DQ IX).

[quote name='Domo7']Do you know if its just the game or is it the one that came in the box like this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/chaoknight/Games/PS2/DragonQuest8.jpg[/QUOTE]

I ordered a copy from Amazon about 2-3 weeks ago and it was the boxed version.

Edit: Just checked, my copy came from the seller Exuby (shipped by Amazon). So assuming all their copies are the same, anyone who buys from them before they run out (8 left atm) should get the boxed version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something here? At first I thought these were new copies, and I thought that was still too expensive. Now I see they're used copies. These are available for $5-7 on eBay.

These have definitely been increasing in price lately. I bought a sealed new copy of it from Amazon back in 2009. Cost me $12.50 and it was also in a box and included the FFXII demo and everything. Fantastic game though and well worth picking up even at this price if you haven't played it yet.

bread's done
Back