Dead Space 3 Demo is out!

gorgo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
And as a big fan of DS1 and DS2, I'm pretty disappointed... played the single player side last night (it also has a co-op side).

The graphics didn't look as good (could be lower res for the demo?), and the outdoor environment just didn't grab me like the last one... DS2 is a favorite of mine.

Any other opinions?

I enjoyed the demo a lot, in single player and in co-op. I have faith that 3 is going to be amazing just like 1 and 2 were.

That said, I wasn't wowed by some of the stuff in the demo. Scoring headshots on human soldiers with assault rifles just doesn't feel much like Dead Space. No harm in a little variety, but I hope those kinds of enemies are used sparingly. I'm also not sold on the whole create-your-own-weapons thing, the weapons in 1 and 2 just felt wonderful and were so perfectly balanced, I'm not sure why they'd want to throw a wrench into that. I'll reserve judgment until I play the full game.

In any case, my own feeling is that Dead Space 2, while an amazing and near-perfect game, was a slight step down in some ways from Dead Space 1. So I'm not exactly going in with the expectation that 3 will surpass the previous games, and even if doesn't match up to them, I'm sure it will still be an awesome game in its own right.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm also not sold on the whole create-your-own-weapons thing, the weapons in 1 and 2 just felt wonderful and were so perfectly balanced, I'm not sure why they'd want to throw a wrench into that. I'll reserve judgment until I play the full game.[/QUOTE]
Just gonna use the plasma cutter 90% of the time anyway.

I still haven't played the "Severed" DLC from DS2... maybe I should do that before February.

Decent demo is decent.

I'm not expecting it to trump the masterpiece that was second game so I doubt Visceral can seriously piss me off here. As with Bioshock Infinite, I am rather disappointed a vastly improved PvP MP didn't make a return though. I'm also tired of developers deliberately giving players access to overpowered shit on lower/normal difficulties in demos like these to babysi- er... entice new mone- er... players. Oh, and I can already tell the crafting mechanic is going to be a royal pain in the ass. Either implemented to unnecessarily break the game, become a mandatory annoyance, or a complete afterthought to lure in people who had no clue the IP existed. Once I run through solo with an upgraded PC I'll have a general idea of what I'm dealing with here, but for now I'm not a fan of excess inventory clutter I can't sell at the moment.

As for co-op? It felt extremely boring. Hopefully as the main game progresses this will change dramatically otherwise I'll gladly rush through all related achievements then happily ignore it.

Eh... so long as they don't kill or write off Ellie right off the bat I'm down. Hell... if the ending is half as epic as the second game that will work for me too. Issac is a bad ass deserving of a great game and found that in DS2. Here's hoping the third will at the very least be a competent send off.

[quote name='Pirate331']I still haven't played the "Severed" DLC from DS2... maybe I should do that before February.[/QUOTE]
It's excellent. Especially if you played Extraction and are familiar with the characters (Severed continues their story).

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Eh... so long as they don't kill or write off Ellie right off the bat I'm down.[/QUOTE]
What's up with her eye? Did she get a new one? Is the DS3 Ellie some kind of clone or something? Inquiring minds want to know.

Good question. My guess is Issac paid for an implant otherwise Visceral done goofed. If the writers were smart they'd address this during the initial scene before the crash and separation. It literally would only take seconds and one line of conversation.

Now if the whole
Red Marker being a huge dick and manipulating Issac through hallucinations of his dead girlfriend
plot twist of the second game didn't happen? Then yeah... I'd be all for Ellie being a vivid figment of his imagination.

Or they could go the ultra generic route and brainwash her into a Unitologist agent. Right now I'm much more interested in what they have done with Carver's Marker dementia. Really hoping the guy isn't just scenery with a gun and a mouth here because I wouldn't be surprised if that meathead replaces Issac as lead in the next game.

I just hope the script has room for somebody to yell

"fuck YOU! AND fuck YOUR MARKER!!!"

I noted with disappointment in the demo that spamming the RB did not result in an increasingly unhinged litany of random profanity and screaming from Isaac. I hope they're not trying to make him seem sane or something.

Insane people never seem insane to themselves. I'd love it if while you didn't hear anything, your co-op partner had to mute the TV to avoid your blood curdling screams of fury.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Insane people never seem insane to themselves. I'd love it if while you didn't hear anything, your co-op partner had to mute the TV to avoid your blood curdling screams of fury.[/QUOTE]
That's the best idea ever and would completely justify the addition of co-op. :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's the best idea ever and would completely justify the addition of co-op. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Seriously.

Carver Player: "Dude... did you hear that?"
Issac Player: "...Hear what?"
Issac Player: "This is a safe room man."
Issac Player: "Every room with a working bench/shop more or less is so chill."
Carver Player: *Marker symbols and Necromorph hordes flash on screen*
Carver Player: "WHAT THE fuck WAS THAT!?"
Carver Player: "SAFE MY ASS. SOMETHING IS IN HERE."
Issac Player: "Uh yeah... your stupid ass. Now shut up and watch the door."
Issac Player: "This SMG going to shit out rockets when I'm done with this bitch."
Carver Player: *Toy Soldiers suddenly start creeping towards them from vents*
Carver Player: *Wastes ammo spraying Issac Player trying to kill them all"
Issac Player: "..."
Issac Player: "F*cking noob."

Do want. Now.

Compact Rivet Guns are the undisputed weapon of extraordinary gentlemen and Dual Grenade Launchers while completely impractical are hilarious when fully upgraded. This crafting business may not completely suck after all. Now that ammo drops are universal however Line Guns seem more dominate than ever. Dual up, slap a bunch of RoF + DMG and/or Clip + RoF/DMG and go nuts. Hell... the first shot still has enough kick to stop these demo Necros in mid-sprint.

Jesus... Visceral. Who the hell is going to pass up a 12 clip Line Gun in this game, eh? Hopefully it takes quite a while to build up enough resources to build and fully upgrade one of these things otherwise the campaign is going to play itself.

Hope you're right. That sounds pretty ridiculous.

I'm abstaining from the demo in hopes of going in pure to have my world rocked. Good to hear that things don't sound bad in here though.

the demo felt more lost planet than dead space to me. the weapon thing seemed kind of over whelming i prefer the good old upgrade system by adding more points for extra ammo, power, reload etc. i still need to finish DS2. havent tried the demo co-op not to sure i like that idea either.

There is a "Classic Mode" that eliminates the new weapon crafting system and puts back the blueprint/upgrade system from Dead Space 1. However you have to finish the campaign once to unlock it...

[quote name='Pirate331']Just gonna use the plasma cutter 90% of the time anyway.

I still haven't played the "Severed" DLC from DS2... maybe I should do that before February.[/QUOTE]

I went through both DS1 and DS2 100% on just the plasma (both 1st playthroughs), only to realized
right at the end of DS2 there's a non-player controlled CG sequence involving the javlin gun (!!)
; then I was like WTF! there goes my cheevo! I got over it since the storyline was so awesome!!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']There is a "Classic Mode" that eliminates the new weapon crafting system and puts back the blueprint/upgrade system from Dead Space 1. However you have to finish the campaign once to unlock it...[/QUOTE]

how do you know this?

...and as a 'hardcore' DS fan, I have my reservations about #3.

[quote name='Pirate331']Just gonna use the plasma cutter 90% of the time anyway.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I used the PC almost exclusively in DS2. Doubt that will change in DS3. The launch trailer with the cover of "In the Air Tonight" got me pumped...

Really? I (and probably most people) used the Force Gun most of the time.

I will be getting DS3 Tuesday and will also be needing a co-op partner.

Force gun is a beast.

For my money the best weapons are the plasma cutter and line gun.

I always rolled with plasma cutter/line gun/force gun/pulse rifle.

Played a couple of hours of DS2 mutiplayer last night (don't really know why I just played the MP), debating whether or not go to to a GameStop of Wal-Mart midnight launch or just wait until my copy shows up from Amazon.

I loved the Force Gun before I swore my allegiance solely to the Plasma Cutter. I'm still interested to see what we've got to work with in DS3 though.

I remember the first night I played DS1 and thought the Ripper was great. I was so young and impressionable.

Edit: You guys checking reviews? I'm gonna be antsy as shit all day. Trying not to read too much.

That's what's so great about Dead Space's arsenal. It's perfectly tuned and balanced and each weapon has players who swear it's the best.

The reviews I've read have been largely positive if not rapturous, and oddly enough the weapons crafting system has been singled as a really cool and fun element.

I've also read today that none of the "exclusive" weapons DLC from the LE and various retailers are actually exclusive-- they're all buildable in the main game, the DLC just gives you a shortcut.

LOL @ the comment box of that article. You'd think after all these years this sort of practice from EA of all companies would fail to surprise people. It barely affects me at all. I still haven't delved into DS2's DLC (which I bought during a sale) and who knows how long I'll remember this one exists. Either way I wouldn't even dream of entertaining a purchase until a sale popped up anyway.

Yeah... Games have DLC... MAJOR SHOCKER. Love the people acting surprised and angry like this is the first game to have DLC.

I know, I can't even read comments sections on those sites anymore. Shit just gets me riled up.

Severed was pretty sweet DLC. I enjoyed going back for it once it launched. Long as Awakened is anywhere near that quality, I'll be all over it.

Seriously. It isn't even "OMG DAY ONE" but "OMG NEXT MONTH AFTER LAUNCH" nerd rage. Some of them should consider a new hobby if this news is truly a deal breaker because 99.9% aren't going to rally up to actually do something about these shitty business practices.

I love the series so much, I'm in the tank for anything EA wants to sell me, and I'm not sorry. It's my money. :D

But frankly I would be totally fine if DS3 bombed because gamers were so offended by the microtransactions, and EA had to admit it had screwed up and would back off of that business model. That would be the market speaking!

But that's not going to happen of course. Everyone who's complaining is just going to buy the game anyway, and when EA continues to exploit a successful model (because... another shocker here... businesses are interested in profit *faints*), they won't do anything about it except cry even louder the next time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']But frankly I would be totally fine if DS3 bombed because gamers were so offended by the microtransactions, and EA had to admit it had screwed up and would back off of that business model. That would be the market speaking![/QUOTE]

Ditto. GoW3 would have been the perfect opportunity to incite a god damned riot because I've never seen such a blatant nickle and dime scheme. The ME3 Ending debacle was the ONLY time I've ever seen gamers unite for a worthwhile cause that actually made sense. If even 10% of those whining now did the same for DLC nickle and diming you can bet your ass shit would change. Fast. Unfortunately the majority speaks for the rest of us and those who refuse to create a market for this nonsense are vastly outnumbered.

The only reason I care because like you said they happily support this bullshit by caving into buying the same games/DLC they supposedly hate. They can't help themselves really. Honestly... at the end of the day my true loyalties lie with myself and my wallet so abandoning franchises and ignoring DLC is second nature. I simply can't afford to have my time and money wasted.

Besides these days developers seem to consider their core audiences expendable at best making the decision to keep some spare change in my pocket even easier.

I'm only on the second chapter but i'm enjoying the game so far. Can't wait until I can start crafting some weapons.

Played Co-Op with a friend thru the first 4 chapters on Hard and it was a cake walk. We died once (somehow?) and in general were constantly out of room to pick up items.

Played alone for those same chapters and had plenty of room and almost died... on normal.

Some balancing issues so far it seems in Co-Op being too easy. However, I can report that the Co-Op experience is lag free and the sharing of items works very well. I wish RE5 was this lag free when it was out years ago.

Not a big fan of everything just zerg rushing by enemies but w/e.

Graphics, Sound, Gameplay are all tight and the story seems ok so far. Can't see why this would get below a 8 but I can understand why scores aren't in the 9's anymore. Then again I still have 15 Chapters to go.

Played a bit so far. After taking the Negotiator and Evangelizer from the LE for a spin, I have to take back any doubts I had about the weapon crafting system. Totally boss. When is the first suit station?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Played Co-Op with a friend thru the first 4 chapters on Hard and it was a cake walk. We died once (somehow?) and in general were constantly out of room to pick up items.

Played alone for those same chapters and had plenty of room and almost died... on normal.

Some balancing issues so far it seems in Co-Op being too easy. However, I can report that the Co-Op experience is lag free and the sharing of items works very well. I wish RE5 was this lag free when it was out years ago.

Not a big fan of everything just zerg rushing by enemies but w/e.

Graphics, Sound, Gameplay are all tight and the story seems ok so far. Can't see why this would get below a 8 but I can understand why scores aren't in the 9's anymore. Then again I still have 15 Chapters to go.[/QUOTE]

I just finished Chapters 2-7 co-op. I decided on normal difficulty, and it is too easy. Ammo, stasis, and med packs are plentiful. I was having to drop items to pick up circuit upgrades.

I'm going to start a SP game as well since it seems like more of a challenge.

Other then it being too easy with co-op, i'm having a lot of fun. I do enjoy the Dead Space games, but i'm not some hardcore fan, so I don't mind so much that they went the more action route. As long as it's done well, and imo, it is...at least so far.

I played up to
Chapter 11
co-op on Normal. Wayyyyyyyy too much ammo.

On a side note, my game case had a damn puncture in it. There were slight scratches on the the discs due to the plastic game case fragments but both discs played perfectly fine. I contacted Amazon to let them know about it and they took care of it.

Normal has always been easy for Dead Space. It's like the introductory difficulty to the series. Play impossible or go one lower if you feel you're rusty. There's still too much ammo on hard actually

Loving this game so far. Do the suits not have different armor stats or special bonuses anymore? It seems like they're purely cosmetic.

Up to chapter 8 on Hard. It's desperate as shit sometimes and I love it. Scrounging for health and ammo, fight or flight kicking in all over. Granted I am running solo. Can't speak much to the co-op difficulty.

If there were only one thing I could say about Visceral, it's that they know how to make a fuckin' intro. They had me at hello all over again.

Ryuu, far as I can tell, suits are purely cosmetic this time around. I agree that it's kind of a bummer. I too really enjoy the crafting, however. I've found myself leaning toward heavy frame, conical plasma/shotguns and the sniper rifle format so far. For whatever reason, the Plasma Cutter isn't vibing with me in this one. Not something I like to say, but whatcha gonna do. It was pretty fun rocking a PC/Ripper mix for close range, but I've found myself in some...high intensity situations that it's not great for.

Anyone have any insight to using the Scavenger Bot more effectively? I get to listen for the audio cues, but I feel like I'm still missing something. Not sure how to identify the sweet spot for sending him off.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Ryuu, far as I can tell, suits are purely cosmetic this time around. I agree that it's kind of a bummer. I too really enjoy the crafting, however. I've found myself leaning toward heavy frame, conical plasma/shotguns and the sniper rifle format so far. For whatever reason, the Plasma Cutter isn't vibing with me in this one. Not something I like to say, but whatcha gonna do. It was pretty fun rocking a PC/Ripper mix for close range, but I've found myself in some...high intensity situations that it's not great for.

Anyone have any insight to using the Scavenger Bot more effectively? I get to listen for the audio cues, but I feel like I'm still missing something. Not sure how to identify the sweet spot for sending him off.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of the Evangelizer carbine/shotgun combo. The Enervator is pretty great too. It does almost seem like the plasma cutter and line gun have been nerfed-- maybe to encourage people to use the new weapons more? But yeah, I feel like the plasma cutter isn't as effective anymore.

I took the Rapido tip off of one of the Slim Jim DLC weapons and put that onto the Evangelizer, makes it into a burst-fire AR instead of a single-shot carbine. It's pretty cool how you can mix and match all of this stuff and it has different effects.

I am *this* close to dropping $5 on the scavenger bot personality pack...

I ended up getting the Survival Kit just because I only spent $2.37 out of pocket for the game. I was mostly just stoked for more suits, but I won't argue with the additional gun parts.

Lemme know if you do get the personality pack. I find the Scavenger Bot to be strangely adorable given the surroundings. I just expected the pack to turn him into Claptrap, which would be equally jarring, I suppose.

Also, agreed on the Line Cutter. My roommate was stoked for me to try it, but when we didn't see legs flying after the first shot, we were both pretty confused/sad.

bread's done
Back