Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker for WiiU

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Dammit. This will break me. Since they are "remaking" it I wonder if they will add in the 2 dungeons that were dropped from the original version and maybe tighten up the sailing/triforce quest. With minor tweaks this would be the best Zelda ever, IMO.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo is legit Tammy 2 to my Ron Swanson.[/QUOTE]

Same here. No matter how badly I want to I just can't stay away. Ugh.

If they add the missing dungeons, maybe I'd consider it worthwhile. But if it's just a straight HD polish on WW, fuck that. WW *still* looks good, there's nothing about the graphics that take away from the gameplay at all. Miyamoto said on WW's release that the GC was all the graphics they needed. After seeing these WIIU screens, I agree with him.

In general, the "remake" trend is hard to get behind when they're lagging on game development and completely rejiggering their launch tactics for the sake of new titles (whenever they show). It may not be a valid observation, but it seems like new IPs/new title development comes at the expense of the other. I don't support that.

When I first heard about this this morning, I was like, "So, Nintendo's now becoming like other companies: re-releasing old games with HD graphics and call it a day, instead of spending that time and effort on new, original games?!"

But then I was like, "When is this coming out?"

I'm not gonna buy a Wii U for this game, but if there's a retail release (oh I hope there's a retail release) then I'll be a day one purchase for me.

Yeah, prolly gonna buy a Wii U today because of this. The Virtual Console coming back doesn't hurt either, really hoping that they can get some new games on there (Yoshi's Island and Crystalis are two notable games missing from the old VC)

I don't want a Wii U but HD Wind Waker is pretty tempting. I think I'd cave if the new Zelda they are working on is in the same cel-shaded style of WW instead of another Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword look.

If anything though this reminds me that I have a save file in Wind Waker with my first playthrough at about more than half way done. I guess I should get back to that if anything.

Played the original thru and thru back in the day. Loved it.

Remember its photo quest? I wonder if Nintendo will do something different about it like maybe using the GamePad as a camera.

The only Zelda game I havent played yet. I was going to buy it and play on my Wii but sold that before I got my Wii U. With the lack of any titles I would ever play coming to Wii U this will be a day one purchase for sure.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Remember its photo quest? I wonder if Nintendo will do something different about it like maybe using the GamePad as a camera.[/QUOTE]

Did they add additional gameplay elements to the OOT 3DS remake? I don't know, I'm askin' is all. I'd guess the answer to that hints at the direction of WW on the WIIU.

[quote name='dothog']Did they add additional gameplay elements to the OOT 3DS remake? I don't know, I'm askin' is all. I'd guess the answer to that hints at the direction of WW on the WIIU.[/QUOTE]

They made the items much easier to access because of the second screen. I imagine at the very least they will implement WiiU features into the rerelease (entirely new dungeons is probably a stretch but not unheard of - the GBC rerelease of Link's Awakening had a new colorized dungeon to take advantage of the new hardware).

Wind Waker is the first Legend of Zelda game I actually bought and played a good deal of it. I've tried Minish Cap and others, and man I always get my butt kicked in those. I have to finish Wind Waker sometime, but I'm afraid of those damn sharks, not to mention those flying jellyfish things.

The HD remake does sound cool, and it's really pressing me to finish this. Dangit that I'm also stuck playing the new GC games I bought recently.

[quote name='dothog']Did they add additional gameplay elements to the OOT 3DS remake? I don't know, I'm askin' is all. I'd guess the answer to that hints at the direction of WW on the WIIU.[/QUOTE]

Well, a lot of the graphics got re-worked. Some textures were sharpened, Link's face was made to look more like the original concept art (differing opinions on this), etc. The Water Temple was also reworked a bit given that people have groaned/complained about it for years.

So it wasn't a straight port with an uprezzing - it had some elements reworked.

My guess is that we won't get new content with the WW remake, but we might see some things "fixed" a bit (such as the triforce piece scavenger hunt). Of course I'd like to see beta dungeons inserted in, but those are pretty high hopes.

Even if they add the missing dungeons, I just don't understand why there is euphoria over this. Believe me, I understand Nintendo's side: it's probably not a demanding "port" given the WIIU-Wii and the Wii-GC relationships. So it's pretty much already developed, it fills out the library with a "new" first-party title on the cheap, there's a built-in market for it, sell the shit out of it. I get that.

But this world was pretty well imagined not only 8 years ago. Those images and that music still fill my head thinking back. I can imagine myself in that space without any effort. From my side of the transaction, the remake is puzzling, there's really nothing to compel me on this. Remake the original or LttP, take a 2D zelda and fill a 3d realm with that and expand the music somehow? That's a different story (though admittedly unrealistic from N's side of things).

I just feel like people who are rushing to get on this thing are in for an unpleasant surprise -- they're not crediting how good the original was and still is. If the biggest difference here is that we're using the tablet instead of a dead sexy orange spice GCN controller and we're playing in 720p instead of 480i...maybe that's an improvement? Given the likely MSRP and the current craziness, there shouldn't be any wavering on that point.

[quote name='dothog'] Remake the original or LttP, take a 2D zelda and fill a 3d realm with that and expand the music somehow? [/QUOTE]

LttP was perfect, the best game ever made. No room for improvement.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']LttP was perfect, the best game ever made. No room for improvement.[/QUOTE]

Many people say the same thing about OoT, and that didn't stop N from dry humping that thing until a 3DS remake popped out.

Which is to say that you've missed the point. And perhaps I've missed it, too. Anyhow, WW is on its way! More tingle times ahead. Enjoy it on the WIIU.

This is such a fantastic announcement for two reasons.

The first reason is because it's Wind Waker, one of the best Gamecube games and one of my personal favorite games in general.

The second reason is that this may open the door to other HD rereleases of classic Gamecube games (my favorite Nintendo console!).

Hell yeah!

I believe they added gyro-sensor functionality for the bow and arrow, hookshot/longshot which did make it easier to aim at some things.

They also put the map, heath bar, items, and rupees info on the second screen which was a genius because it a) allowed you to see more of the game on the main screen and b) allowed you to use items via the touchscreen if you wanted to.

Also, playing the ocarina was a lot easier since you could read the notes on the second screen (if you forgot the inputs).

A lot of subtle stuff but it really did enhance the experience. I hope they do this as well as add additional content with the WW HD release. :D

I remember not liking Wind Waker at first because of the art style, but when I actually played it I really grew to love it. Now I think it's the prettiest Zelda to date and has the best art style for the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musha666']The only Zelda game I havent played yet. I was going to buy it and play on my Wii but sold that before I got my Wii U. With the lack of any titles I would ever play coming to Wii U this will be a day one purchase for sure.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My wife and I used to have massive hate boners for this game because of the art style (and the horrible demo) but we recently decided to give it a shot...this was perfectly timed for us.

The article on Joystiq mentions it'll be out this fall... Heck. Yes.

Also, judging by those comparison shots, it looks like they're actually remaking it instead of just upping the resolution to HD.

I never understood how anyone could hate the art style in this game. It is easily the best looking Zelda game to date both in terms of pure style and graphically, IMO.

I never played Wind Waker so I'm definitely getting this.

Million dollar question- how much will this cost? Here's hoping for $40.

I'm another individual that never got around to playing Wind Waker (last console Zelda I played was Majora's Mask, which I didn't even finish), though I was pretty close to borrowing it from a friend.

Not sure now if I should wait until I eventually get a Wii U and get this game, or just bug that same friend again to see if I can still borrow it.

[quote name='skiizim']lol.... Any word on the Tingle Tuner?[/QUOTE]

I guarantee this is the thing they will "improve" the most. The WiiPad just screams for it. Ugh.

Tingle Tuner.
Rock Stone of Agony.
Naryu's Fister.

Geez Nintendo, stop being so suggestive.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Tingle Tuner.
Rock of Agony.
Naryu's Fister.

Geez Nintendo, stop being so suggestive.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, sir...it's Stone of Agony. Tch!

And here's a protip: Don't let Big Octorok suck in your Link... :booty:

This is a win-win IMO... a chance for those of us who played it on the GC to revisit it, and newcomers to experience it for the first-time.

I'll never understand the animosity toward HD collections/editions. I think it's great that a whole new generation of gamers get an opportunity to play what some of us older gamers experienced years back. It's a fun way for us older games to revisit those "classics" as well.

[quote name='TrumpetDan']This is a win-win IMO... a chance for those of us who played it on the GC to revisit it, and newcomers to experience it for the first-time.

I'll never understand the animosity toward HD collections/editions. I think it's great that a whole new generation of gamers get an opportunity to play what some of us older gamers experienced years back. It's a fun way for us older games to revisit those "classics" as well.[/QUOTE]

Agreed to a degree. I like how Nintendo is doing this as opposed to Sony's approach with their games. All the did was slap "HD" graphics here and there. Although I will give them credit since they bundled games together instead of selling them separately.

I like what Nintendo is doing here. They are going back and adding features to the game including special gamepad functions. It seems like they are fixing problems with it too.

Bottom line is I cannot wait to play this.

[quote name='Javery']I never understood how anyone could hate the art style in this game. It is easily the best looking Zelda game to date both in terms of pure style and graphically, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Took the words out of my mouth. Back in the day when that's all it seemed people had to complain about it, I never could figure them out.

[quote name='argyle']Took the words out of my mouth. Back in the day when that's all it seemed people had to complain about it, I never could figure them out.[/QUOTE]

I think too many people were expecting a follow up to ocarina of time, I never had a problem with it so I really never cared to ask why.

[quote name='crunchewy']Chalk me up as another one that loves the WW art style.[/QUOTE]

This is why I'm excited about the HD re-release. If they do nothing else but add 16:9 aspect ratio and upscale the graphics to HD it is going to look absolutely amazing... because the Gamecube version STILL looks absolutely amazing today.

The backlash to the art style was that the reveal was a massive gut shot. Nintendo showed off that pre-rendered Space World demo with Link charging Ganon after throwing his shield away (like a boss), and then we found this smurf a year later doing Looney Tunes routines.

It's not that I couldn't understand the outrage, it's that it felt so misplaced because of how damn gorgeous the game was and still is. And in ten years, it will still be gorgeous.

But I'm biased - I adore cel shading. I think it bridges the gap from expressive pixel art to modern 3D.

Have they released any actual screens for this? I saw the comparison in the Nintendo Direct video and even though that was a tiny pic, the difference was amazing.

I cannot wait to see more of this. I'd love it if they did an HD Prime (the original... without waggle).

[quote name='Josh5890']I like how Nintendo is doing this as opposed to Sony's approach with their games. All the did was slap "HD" graphics here and there. Although I will give them credit since they bundled games together instead of selling them separately.[/QUOTE]

If you do a re-make right, like the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection, than everything's great. For that collection they took two great games and made them better by smoothing out technical hang-ups that plagued the originals.

If you do a re-make poorly, like the Silent Hill HD collection, than everyone hates you. Konami royally screwed the pooch on that one.

This is Nintendo, so I'm pretty sure they'll handle the Wind Waker re-make properly. They managed the Ocarina of Time re-make pretty well. That was a satisfying and tasteful re-make. If they take the same approach with Wind Waker, I won't have any serious complaints.

I am a bit concerned about some of the rendering changes they are showing in the preview pics. The improvement in the ocean shader looks great. But they seem to be leaning on the HDR and bloom a little too much. I'd dial the light bloom back a little for the final version. Wind Waker's appeal lay in bold, bright colors. Too much bloom washes that striking visual style out.

Add me to the "Wind Waker was good, but seriously, Nintendo?" list. I might snag this one for $30.

An HD Gamecube remake I really, really, really want? F-Zero GX, with the linkable arcade content included / unlocked. I'd pay like $100 for just that.

I was thinking the other day that F-Zero could be a great answer to a mature open world title. I'd love to play as Captain Falcon being a badass bounty hunter cop all across the universe kicking ass and racing like a boss on the most dangerous tracks known to mankind. Basically smash up F-Zero's racing with some GTA with Yakuza style over the top fighting, all while traveling across space and hooking up with hot alien babes.

Falcon Punching some shit ass mobsters on Jupiter while modding the hell out of my advanced racing rig? fuck yes I would.

I never understood the appeal of F-Zero (or Mario Kart). Blasphemy, I know. I love racing games like Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed Most Wanted and Driver San Francisco though. I guess there needs to be a city to explore instead of just moving from one race to the next.

[quote name='Strell']I was thinking the other day that F-Zero could be a great answer to a mature open world title. I'd love to play as Captain Falcon being a badass bounty hunter cop all across the universe kicking ass and racing like a boss on the most dangerous tracks known to mankind. Basically smash up F-Zero's racing with some GTA with Yakuza style over the top fighting, all while traveling across space and hooking up with hot alien babes.

Falcon Punching some shit ass mobsters on Jupiter while modding the hell out of my advanced racing rig? fuck yes I would.[/QUOTE]
Greatest game idea I think I might have ever heard.... Well at least in the past 2-3 years :lol:. Imagine some death racing league where you race to the death.

For me, the less realistic the racer, the better. That isn't to say I don't like depth (since I equate "realistic racer" with GT), since that's something I'd appreciate it any game I'm playing.

I'd prefer a Mario Kart with greater emphasis on additional elements that foster a stronger offense/defense mechanic, since the chief complaints are blue shells and rubber banding. Give me a reason to feel like there's a second layer of strategy to the main course, almost like you get with fighting games. If Mario Kart went that way - and I doubt it ever would since Double Dash pissed off too many people - then I'd also prefer that it retained an "arcade mode" of sorts for multiplayer purposes.

I think that was the original intent of Mario Kart - taking a genre and injecting an element just crazy enough to make the whole thing more accessible, but still retain a system where skill is rewarded.

F-Zero, by the way, gives the purest form of raw speed of any racing game I've ever played. To be fair, it's not a grenre I play a lot of. It simply doesn't fuck around and doesn't care if you suck. You'll die and either get better, or you'll die and whine. Definitely a different mode of thinking around the game's entire mantra.

As a final aside, while I said I apprecaite depth, Dotstream is some amazing ish though, despite its obvious simplicity. That minimalist example is a great "less is more" study. I love that game.

They should revisit the City Trial mode from Kirby's Air Ride. That was a lot of fun, and there's a ton of potential to expand it and go further with the idea. I'm not a huge Mario Kart fan, but if they added something like that I'd be on board.

[quote name='Javery']I never understood the appeal of F-Zero (or Mario Kart). Blasphemy, I know. I love racing games like Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed Most Wanted and Driver San Francisco though. I guess there needs to be a city to explore instead of just moving from one race to the next.[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart is great because I have no idea how to drive at 90mph in a real car

Continuing off topic, I've always been a fan of the Wipeout series (mainly XL), even though it really was a rip off of F-Zero in some ways. The weapons combat in XL was great (even better that you can actually eliminate other racers), the sense of speed was awesome, and the use of air brakes meant it took skill to navigate the hard courses at the fastest speed possible. Plus I usually liked the electronica music they tied together with the theme.

For straight up racers with actual cars, I prefer arcade style (Ridge Racer) over the realism (GT) just about any day.

I look at this as nothing more than a ploy to placate people until new Zelda is out (which was 2014, but we see that's not happening) and as almost every post before this shows it's working.

Nostalgia is great ain't it. :roll:

I have no interest in playing it because I vividly remember all of the tedious sailing in the game which sucked to no small degree. You won't see me slagging gfx, it was new and different, gameplay was more of the same.

I just didn't like all the fucking sailing. Period. That and the end was anti-climatic. It's not my favorite Zelda by any means, but I'm shocked (and not surprised) by the reactions to this news. Mostly people saying their buying a system for a HD remake of a GC game, that blows my mind....

Guess PT Barnum was right after all....(one is born every minute)

Time to start my Zelda series replay runthrough! Start with Zelda and Zelda 2 on 3DS and continue from there. Should be ready for WW by the time this remake hits :D

[quote name='uncle5555']I look at this as nothing more than a ploy to placate people until new Zelda is out (which was 2014, but we see that's not happening) and as almost every post before this shows it's working. [/QUOTE]

I think everyone is well aware that's what they're doing.

Personally after the last two games, I'd rather drop my money on a remake of the last good Zelda game than take a chance on a new, and potentially worse, game in the series.

bread's done
Back