The Definitive Region Free Import Game List

aTaRiFrEaK223

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I thought it would be a good idea to start a list of all the Region Free games (mostly that are good) that didn't come to America. Also those that prefer to have an import disc than a US digital copy of a game. ZxT Vendetta is going to help me out, but also anyone who posts can help out, that's the point!

If the game is from Japan or Asia, please verify in your post whether or not it is easy for an English player with little/no Japanese reading ability to play!

Where to buy?

PAL (Europe) Games:
www.thehut.com
www.hmv.com
www.amazon.co.uk
www.amazon.fr
www.amazon.de

JP/Asia games:
www.playasia.com
www.yesasia.com
www.cdjapan.co.jp/
www.solarisjapan.com
http://www.nippon-yasan.com/

Digital only in the US, Import Physical Copies:

PS3 :ps3:

Siren Blood Curse (Europe, Asia, JP)
Ape Escape On The Move (Europe, Asia, JP)
Arcana Heart 3 (Europe, Asia, JP)
Pain (Europe)
Dr. Who The Eternity Clock (Europe)
Monkey Island Special Edition (Europe)
Resident Evil Archives Collection HD (4 and CVX) (Asia, JP)
Resident Evil Chronicles HD (Asia, JP)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors (EU)
Agarest: Generations of War (Europe/Asia)
Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty (Europe)
Tokyo Jungle (Asia, JP)*
Of Orcs and Men (EU)
Alien Breed Trilogy (EU)
Worms Collection (EU)

Biohazard HD Remaster (Asia/JP)

XBox 360 :360:

Monkey Island Special Edition (Europe)

Import Games Not Available in US:

PS3 :ps3:

Yakuza: Kenzan! (JP)*
Mobile Suite Gundam Extreme Vs (JP)
Mobile Suit Gundam Senki Record U.C. 0081 (JP)
Okami HD (JP)
Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA F (JP)
Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle (EU)
Gal*Gun (JP, on-rails shooter)
Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! (JP, SHUMP)

*The Gundam games are very, very playable without speaking Japanese. Yakuza, on the other hand, will have you chained to a guide for most of the game, so buyer beware with that one.

XBox 360 :360:

WRC 2 (EU)
WRC 3 (EU)

Shumps
Mushihimesama Futari Ver. 1.5 (JP) (Also an LE version)
Espgaluda 2 Black Label (All versions of this are region free EXCEPT the LE with the faceplate) (JP)
Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets (JP) (Also an LE version)
Bullet Soul (JP) (Also a first print with soundtrack)
Eschatos (JP) (Also a first print with soundtrack)
Dodonpachi Resurrection (EU) (I think that all of these come with the soundtrack)

Wii (Not Region Free) :wii:

Another Code R (Europe, Asia, JP)
Disaster: Day of Crisis (Europe, Asia, JP)
Project Zero 2 (Europe, Asia, JP)
Captain Rainbow (JP)*
Zero: Mask Of The Lunar Eclipse, Fatal Frame IV (JP)*

DS/3DS :ds:

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Europe, Asia, JP)
Sailor Moon: La Luna Splende (Italy)
Ouendan and Ouendan 2 (JP)

PSP/Vita :psp:

White Knight Chronicles Origins (EU)
Tales Of Eternia (PS1 Port) (EU)
Breath Of Fire III (PS1 Port) (EU)
Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA (JP)
Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA 2nd (JP)
Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA extend (JP)
Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA f (PS Vita)

* Indicates may need to read a walkthrough as game may be difficult for those who don't know Japanese/Chinese etc.

There are lots and lots of others, this is just a test right now. I will also include links where to buy. Also any feedback would be great, Thanks! Oh, and thanks to those who contributed so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3:
Yakuza: Kenzan! (JP)
Mobile Suite Gundam Extreme Vs (JP)
Mobile Suit Gundam Senki Record U.C. 0081 (JP)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors (EU) (Disc version)
Okami HD (JP) (I know that at least one of the Asian versions actually has the full English game on it. I just can't remember if it's a specific one, or if it's all of them.)

The Gundam games are very, very playable without speaking Japanese. Yakuza, on the other hand, will have you chained to a guide for most of the game, so buyer beware with that one.

PSP
White Knight Chronicles Origins
Tales Of Eternia (PS1 Port)
Breath Of Fire III (PS1 Port)

360 Shmups:
Mushihimesama Futari Ver. 1.5 (JP) (Also an LE version)
Espgaluda 2 Black Label (All versions of this are region free EXCEPT the LE with the faceplate) (JP)
Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets (JP) (Also an LE version)
Bullet Soul (JP) (Also a first print with soundtrack)
Eschatos (JP) (Also a first print with soundtrack)
Dodonpachi Resurrection (EU) (I think that all of these come with the soundtrack)

A good place to buy is solarisjapan.com. Playasia can be alright, but they always run out of stock, and if you buy any of these games it will be the platinum hits version, which some people, myself included, do not want. Ebay is actually a fairly solid bet.

I'm loving this list already! :lol: Thanks!

Hmm, the only import I own is A.C.E. Another Century's Episode R (JPN) for the PS3. Haha

[quote name='Zaku77']
Okami HD (JP) (I know that at least one of the Asian versions actually has the full English game on it. I just can't remember if it's a specific one, or if it's all of them.)
[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, wait... what!? Which one?! I must know!

Nice thread. Only thing I can add off the top of my head is

PS3
Red Seeds Profile (US Xbox Exclusive Deadly Premonition)

[quote name='Vinny']Wait, wait, wait... what!? Which one?! I must know![/QUOTE]

I can't remember. Take a look at the gamefaqs board and report back, so we can all know. :p lol

Word to the wise on Agarest--and the reason I left it off--that was released before Aksys released the US PSN version. The EU disc release of Agarest: Generations Of War is translated by Ghostlight, and it is not a good translation. I have the EU CE of it for collection purposes, but to play I will still double dip on the US PSN release. Don't play that version of the game! lol

You might want to include Japanese games. I assume you're lumping them under "Asia", when they should be separate. It's somewhat confusing otherwise :???:

Also, surprised no one's mentioned Ouendan and Ouendan 2 (both JP, DS) yet.

[quote name='blueshinra']You might want to include Japanese games. I assume you're lumping them under "Asia", when they should be separate. It's somewhat confusing otherwise :???:

Also, surprised no one's mentioned Ouendan and Ouendan 2 (both JP, DS) yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did, I'm going to change it. I'm going to update the thread tonight with the games everyone has posted so far and make it color coded, etc.

[quote name='Zaku77']I can't remember. Take a look at the gamefaqs board and report back, so we can all know. :p lol[/QUOTE]

Apparently, all Japanese retail copies have full English subs, as do all Asian retail releases. Gravy.

Ok, I updated with all the games people said so far, and made it easier to read with all the logos, colors, etc. Probably going to alphabetize next.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']tagging this thread...those 2 PS3 gundam games flew way under my radar[/QUOTE]

I can't recommend Extreme Vs enough. There is a bit of a learning curve, but there is so much to do and so many suits! Any Gundam fan will be giddy to play that game! lol :3

E.X. Troopers for the PS3 has been pretty fun. Got it about a week ago since it sounded like it wasn't coming to the US. While it kind of sucks not being able to fully understand the story, the gameplay is still quite fun.

Also, if you have a translation guide for the missions, Jump Ultimate Stars for the DS is great fun.

For PS3, not available in the U.S.:

Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle (U.K., point-and-click adventure)
Gal*Gun (Japan, bizarre hentai on-rails shooter)
Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! (Japan, shoot-em-up)

Those are the ones I've imported.

One helpful addition to the list might be an icon to indicate how English-friendly the Japanese games are. The two above have Japanese language and text, but are easy enough for non-speakers to figure out, gameplay-wise. Others like RPGs, probably not.

I think a good addition to this list would be some sort of marker or notation on each game to say if it has English menus/subtitles/audio.

I only ever import games from the UK, but I'd probably try some other titles if I knew I would be able to figure out what the hell was going on in the game.

[quote name='morrodox']For PS3, not available in the U.S.:

Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle (U.K., point-and-click adventure)
Gal*Gun (Japan, bizarre hentai on-rails shooter)
Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! (Japan, shoot-em-up)

Those are the ones I've imported.

One helpful addition to the list might be an icon to indicate how English-friendly the Japanese games are. The two above have Japanese language and text, but are easy enough for non-speakers to figure out, gameplay-wise. Others like RPGs, probably not.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure Gal*Gun is hentai and not ecchi? But by the looks of it, Gal*Gun does look interesting. :lol:

[quote name='Zonic505']@morrodox: Believe it or not, G. Rev has confirmed that Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! is coming to the US.[/QUOTE]

I'll be damned. Never would have guessed it. Although I suspect it will be download-only, rather than a physical release.

[quote name='Olengie']
Are you sure Gal*Gun is hentai and not ecchi? But by the looks of it, Gal*Gun does look interesting. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Ecchi, you are correct, thanks.

[quote name='morrodox']I'll be damned. Never would have guessed it. Although I suspect it will be download-only, rather than a physical release.

Ecchi, you are correct, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Haha. You're welcome. If it was Hentai, it would be rated Z and I think it wouldn't be openly sold.

These have a disc version outside the US.

Way of the Samurai 4
Warriors Orochi 3
Battle Fantasia
Alien Breed Trilogy

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, Fist of the North Star Ken's Rage 2, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 are upcoming.

Some more Japanese games I thought of, all rhythm games:

The Project DIVA series:
- Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA (PSP)
- Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA 2nd (PSP)
- Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA extend (PSP)
- Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA f (PS Vita)
- Miku Hatsune: Project DIVA F (PS3)

The first three also have HD upscaling programs ("Dreamy Theater") on the Japanese PSN for PS3 that require the base game.

I haven't played any of them, but I know some non-Japanese speakers who have, and I have all the soundtracks except for f/F's (it isn't out yet), since the series tends to feature the best and most popular Vocaloid songs and producers. The music at the very least is excellent, if you like J-Pop and/or Vocaloid.

Also, I played these two JP DS games last year:
- Pinky:st Kira ★ Kira Music Hour (also released in the EU as Kira Kira Pop Princess)
- Pinky:st Kira ★ Kira Music Night

There's a lot of cutscenes, but the script for the first game is available online, and the gameplay is reasonably straightforward. The rhythm game bits are mediocre, but the dress-up options are really deep.

[quote name='Olengie']Are you sure Gal*Gun is hentai and not ecchi? But by the looks of it, Gal*Gun does look interesting. :lol:[/QUOTE]

What's the difference? Ecchi is just the H in hentai.

The Inazuma 11 games are available in Europe, with the DS versions region-free, and the 3DS versions locked.

Edit: Not a fan of the thread, and there's no constraints. Should maybe be focused on playable by English speakers, and playable with US systems. Cause the way it is now, every DS, PSP, and PS3 game (save for P4 Arena and the Japanese Karaoke games) would be on the list.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait, wait, wait... what!? Which one?! I must know![/QUOTE]

Ditto to that, I'd like it on disc too.

Nevermind, I found it myself. ;) And bought it of course. :lol:

http://www.play-asia.com/Okami_Zekk...se_subtitles/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-59zz.html

A quick addition/correction

Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty (Europe/Asia)

I bought a copy from HK in full English a few years ago before I had decent internet.

[quote name='Zonic505']@morrodox: Believe it or not, G. Rev has confirmed that Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! is coming to the US. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/2...r-cursed-g-revs-shooter-is-coming-to-the-west

Also, there's a demo of Gal*Gun on both the JPN PSN & Xbox Live Marketplace, both of which are free if you make a JPN account. Though as mentioned, PS3 version is region free, plus there was some additional content added.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to see if I can find Gal*Gun on the new JPN PSN. Also Mamoru-kun, I didn't enjoy that much (when playing the demo) almost hard to believe it was a GRev game, might want to replay it, still no more than $20 from me.

Hope this thread doesn't die, it's nice resource.

Anyway, I tried to find Gal*Gun, the new PSN layout is so crappy I wouldn't even know where to start looking, at least I could stumble my way through the old store layout.

Anyone got any hints on where I might start looking for it?

Any game with a * by it may need an English walkthrough to play. Obviously all games from the UK and Australia are in English. Anybody care to go through the list seeing any other games that may need a *?

This is a very good resource. I wanted Okami and I was holding out getting it on PSN. Now that I know there is an option to get a physical copy with English subtitles, I will get that instead. I never knew it existed! Thanks for this thread!

Quick bump. I got my copy of Okami, takes forever to install (game does not "load" off disc, it installs the game period.

When it came up and the opening movie loaded up, it was in JPN, jammed the start and other buttons and nothing happened....I was like wth.....:cry: Then I jammed the start button some more and up came the start screen, thankfully in full english. Started it, and yes it's in english as well.

Lastly it included a playview code for PSN Asia accounts to download a scroll viewer, whatever that is. Still nice to see some free DLC with the game, nice to have it on disc for $10 premium.

Just wanted to let everyone know, who was interested.

I know this thread is old but its useful (I found it looking for a list). I also wanted to add that Eye of Judgment for PSP was digital only in the US but had a physical release in EU.

The holy grail PS3 import for me is an English language version of PS3 Aquanaut's Holiday. There's a Korean version and an HK version, but be careful because there was also an HK Japanese release that looks similar. PITA to find and costs $200+ once you do.

We now have a physical copy for Tokyo Jungle so you can remove that from the list. Also Senran Kagura Burst has a retail copy in Europe while it is digital only here.

This is helpful.  Been looking at the region free shmups for awhile now.  Didn't know about that Captain Morgan point and click game on the PS3.

Also didn't know there was a European version of White Knight Chronicles Origins.  I have been trying to find all the PSP/DS/PS3/360 region free games that weren't released in North America.

Did somebody say Region Free shmups? I can only speak for the Xbox 360, but this is what I have in my collection and can personally attest for.

Deathsmiles II X (US / JAP) - Digital download for the US. Never released in EU.

DoDonPachi Resurrection (US / EU) - Import from Europe. Japanese has their own region locked version.

DoDonPachi Saidaioujou - Region Free

Eschatos (Wonder Price) - Region Free

Espgaluda II (Platinum Collection) - Region Free

Ginga Force - Region Free

Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets (Cave The Best) - Region Free

Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5 (Platinum Collection) - Region Free

Supposedly the new release of Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst is region free as well. Already have my pre-order in so it's a matter of it making it's way across the seas at this point.

Also forgot to add Virtual-On Force for the 360. Released in Japan/Asia and has English. There is a CE too. It is region free.

I've been playing J-Star Victory Vs. It's like Smash Bros with anime/manga characters (DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, etc)

It's still rather expensive and a new copy could run you over $70. Obviously it's a fighter so it's playable to non-Japanese speaking players but It is very heavy in Japanese. Every menu, dialogue and option is in Japanese so there's little help there. There are visual guides online to help walk you through. It took me a few hours to get 100% used to the menus and game play. But once I got it down I was having a blast.

Playable characters, assist characters and items are bought through the store. You can get these points through either Story or Arcade. So it's possible to skip the story mode and just do arcade and still collect everything (unless you want those trophies)

If anyone decides to pick it up and has questions fire me a PM and I'll help as much as I can.

Which sailor moon game? The one for DS? I'm going to update the list later today or tomorrow!
there's more than 1?! Childhood will possibly be relived then? :D

This one from your list:

Sailor Moon: La Luna Splende (Italy)

Italian I'll understand so it would work out perfect lol

Ok, I did some updates, but really need some help. Found a few PSN games and whatnot. Know Japan is going to have some exclusives for Xbox One and PS4 this year. Not sure if Resident Evil HD (REReMake) is coming out for any other system on disc than PS3. 

bread's done
Back