what gifts do men want for valentine's day?

guinaevere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
not going to lie, I created this thread for ideas for what to get Cyric this year. I figured hearing all of your hopes would provide some inspiration.
and my girlfriends have no idea what to get their men either. guys have it easy. if you don't buy something sparkly, flowers delivered to the office are total win.

so answer honestly, what (preferably under $50 because we're all poor) would you really like to receive as a gift on Valentine's day?

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice evening/good time is generally all I want. If we have sex, great, if not, there's always the next day. Not sure if you're a hockey fan household, but perhaps a restaurant that has a game on, a few drinks, and some food?

Not sure why everyone goes crazy over presents for VD...

[quote name='SynGamer']A nice evening/good time is generally all I want. If we have sex, great, if not, there's always the next day. Not sure if you're a hockey fan household, but perhaps a restaurant that has a game on, a few drinks, and some food?

Not sure why everyone goes crazy over presents for VD...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't need presents, just the time alone or at a restaurant or something. I will say if you get him something, buy him something useful that he will use or a night out. Concert tickets, or tickets to a sporting event is always good. I am buying my GF concert tickets for valentines day. Then again I am just calling it a valentines day gift because we both wanted to see the band :lol:.

[quote name='SynGamer']Not sure why everyone goes crazy over presents for VD...[/QUOTE]
I wish I could say otherwise, but I am materialistic. I like to show my appreciation/friendship/love for people by buying gifts for them. just as I would love to receive for the same reason. :blush:

it may wind up being a special night with dinner out and all, but the idea of a little or practical something that he'll always have... that's what I would like to give. for him, it may be a popcorn Popper as he has wanted one for ages. I dunno.

keep the answers coming in. it's always interesting to hear what men would truly like for a gift, as opposed to what a man will say bc he thinks it's what he's supposed to say.

The restaurant idea seems lame. Isn't that what the man is supposed to do?

That is what I have done. Restaurant and jewelry.

Now last year my girlfriend got me some Turtle Beach headphones which works for two ways, I use them as a production tool for my blog, and when she use to study for school I put them on so she wasn't distracted.

If you want to get him something that he would use, that popcorn popper is not a bad idea. Other cheap ideas would be a wallet, a watch, shadow box of pictures of you two together. Things that may be cliché.

The only thing I want from my wife on valentines day is to not be reminded of valentines day. I don't need a card, I don't want chocolates, I just want another wonderful night spent with her.

Add me to the nothing gift wise category. I hate commercialized holidays.

I just like setting aside the evening to spend together. A nice dinner (preferably at home to avoid crowds), curl up and watch a movie, have sex etc.

Even that's not a big deal as we do those kind of evenings regularly as we both put a lot of priority on keeping our relationship strong and not taking things for granted.

My fiancee and I are both artists and collectors of various things, but all of my favorite gifts from her have been handmade. Admittedly, she's exceptionally crafty, but having something so thoroughly thought out and focused on from her is the coolest shit ever as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler'd a picture of her catering to my love of all things BioShock.

184475_10151185855042543_885472883_n.jpg

[quote name='IanKazimer']
Spoiler'd a picture of her catering to my love of all things BioShock.

184475_10151185855042543_885472883_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]
your honey is very talented. and she's super awesome to boot!! nice work.

Cyric would probably like something along the handmade lines if it is something cool that's he's interested in. I don't have those mad skills though. can always look no etsy.

[quote name='bigsick']Op your post is kind of vague. For 50 or under you could get a lot. What are his interests?[/QUOTE]
I could post his interests, but I prefer hearing what YOU all would love to get for valentines. then i'll adapt and cater those ideas to sumpin for him.

Beer. Buy me a mix-a-six or two and I'd be happy as hell.

I'm an odd kind of guy, but I really just love getting gifts that are useful. Stuff that I need. Socks, wiper blades, kitchen towels, toothpaste, laundry detergent, etc. They're all great gifts. Because then I can take the money that I would have spent on those, and buy something for myself, which I'm guaranteed to like. :p

Me and my wife are super crafty/artsy and while we make a bunch of stuff for ourselves/each other/our daughter
PArAGGe.jpg
we usually buy v-day gifts handmade by others (I like to support individual artists.) I'll be getting this guy as I do a lot of robot art and enjoy collecting it.
8398950062_c0413e6579.jpg

Here's a nice interview with the artist which includes an etsy link at the end (you'll be blown away by his prices): http://www.infinitehollywood.com/rupert-valero-custom-toys-in-afghanistan/

I'll be getting my wife a handmade wooden comb.

We are getting our daughter a self-published children's book that includes knit patterns for a sweater for a child and a doll from the book that my wife is going to make for her.

FYI: A lot of men don't understand the emotional aspect of gift giving the same way women do. For a lot of women, giving and receiving gifts is a way of showing love, but for a lot of men, gift giving is about practicality. People like to do for their significant other, what they want to get in return. So buying a really thoughtful gift could end up falling flat for him.

Realistically, there's a lot of pressure put on the male in the relationship, so the best gift for him would be to tell him exactly what you want and to not make a big deal out of it and/or the day. Also, go out to dinner the weekend before or after, not the day of, if that's your thing. If being together on Valentine's Day is a big thing for you, rent a cool movie (not a cheesie chick-flic, unless he's into those) or play a co-op game that you both enjoy, and make dinner and have some wine.

My wife and I are like this. She needs me to give her gifts to feel loved. She also needs quality time together and she needs me to do things for her, whereas I just like to be physically close to her. Sitting next to her, holding hands, having her rub my shoulders or run her hands through my hair are all I really need to feel loved.

It took me a while to understand that she's not greedy and materialistic and just wants things to have them. I can buy her really inexpensive things, but the fact that I actually thought of her and bought something for her is enough. My wife couldn't believe it when I told her that I don't seen giving/receiving gifts as a sign of love. She thought "How can you possibly not see it that way?" I don't see how you can, but I understand if you do.

If you want to understand all this better, look up some info on the five love languages: receiving gifts, words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, and physical touch. Each person is different and needs different things to feel loved.

I'm not saying that every guy is like this, but they way you worded your post really struck a chord with me, because it reminded me so much of my wife. Our relationship has been much better since we figured these things out, and it wasn't super hard to change.

On the subject of the actual gift, if he's anything like me, there might not actually be anything he really wants. There's very few things that I ever want, mainly video games, and I'll always just pick it up for myself. The best thing my wife could get me would be a best buy/amazon gift card.

Also, BJ & a steak.

[quote name='mitch079']Tickets to a sporting event.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, this is a good idea. You're from Atlanta, so you might be able to pick up a pack of Braves tickets for a few games.I know out here The Angels sell multiple game ticket packages. I could probably pick up a 4-6 game, 2 ticket/game package for around 50 bucks. Maybe some tickets to the hawks? A few years ago, I was dating a big Lakers fan, and I was able to score a couple floor level tickets to a Lakers game for around $200 on ebay. My guess would be that Hawks tickets could be purchased for much less than that.

There's also hockey, but do you really want to go to a hockey game?

If he's a sports fan and you're not, make sure you tell him that the tickets are for him and his best friend/dad/brother/cousin. Don't pressure him into taking you. You'll be miserable for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and he'll be able to tell, and it'll ruin the game for him.

Sometimes, it's best to give into ThinkGeek for the "cool" gifts for holidays.

8-bit rose: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2a4
8-bit flower bouquet: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e731/
Plush microbes: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/6708/

Those three are inexpensive, "cool" (IMO) and a little out of the ordinary for items you'd possibly give for V-Day.

Other Valentine's Day gift options: http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/valentines/

And I know you've mentioned that you like gift giving/receiving, though that doesn't have to to be the main focus. As others have said, dinner out (though pick another day than V-Day unless you plan well, well in advance since it gets so busy that day), something to do with one another like going to the zoo/aquarium/museum/movie/etc, or some other way to just spend time with one another.

The gifts aren't important, they're just a token. Showing how you feel about one another is, in whatever way you think is best for you two.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Don't pressure him into taking you. You'll be miserable for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and he'll be able to tell, and it'll ruin the game for him.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the wisest things I've read on the internet. Good shit.

Also, thanks, Guin. She's a catch.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Don't pressure him into taking you. You'll be miserable for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and he'll be able to tell, and it'll ruin the game for him.[/QUOTE]ha ha!! the irony- I enjoy sports far more than him. I have to go with coworkers or my big bro to see a game. XD

[quote name='Brownjohn']Also, BJ & a steak.[/QUOTE]

Valentine's Day is for the ladies to be pampered. March 14th is the guy's turn.

My boyfriend and I don't go to restaurants for Valentine's because they're so busy and there's often cheesy menu themes and so-so food pairings at inflated prices in our area. Plus, for us, there's something unspecial about sharing that evening with hundreds of other couples. He always asks me to cook so that means I will be standing outside in the cold, yes, grilling steak.

His birthday and Christmas is when I get the thoughtful stuff. Valentine's is when I go more practical. Some previous gifts: running shoes, wallet, sunglasses, a roller carry-on (he used to travel a lot), magazine subscriptions, shaving gear (straight razor and brush), paid for a day of golf for him and his 3 BFFs at his favorite course, and clothes. This year, I'll be paying for one of his marathon registrations.

One year was a fail though. Got him a Wine of the Month Club membership. We ended up re-gifting a majority of the bottles. :lol:

Nothing for me. I'll usually buy my wife a card and have the kids sign it. I can't remember the last time I actually got anything though.

Based on my experience with anime, you should dress up like a Japanese schoolgirl and give him shitty homemade chocolates made with like fish paste or something.

Let's see. It's a Thursday this year. I have to work. And she has class on Friday. So probably little to nothing the actualy day. (I usually have flowers delivered, although that's feeling a little "old hat")

Maybe go out that weekend? But then I keep adding up the cost of the dinner ($100), sitter ($30), etc, etc.
And then by the time we get home. If it was a big meal or full of rich food often our stomachs or the other end are too upset to get down with any sexy time.

Personally, Mrs. Number83 and I treat Valentines Day like any other day. We established that when we were dating...it's a long story.

Anywhoo, in my opinion, some of the best gifts are the simple, quirky ones. You know your BF's interests better than we do, so start with what you know. Does he like sweet or salty snacks? Home made Gift Basket. How dirty does his pick-up truck get (Sorry, had to take a shot at you ATL peeps ;))? Get him some gift certs to the car wash or pay for a detail.

If you want to play on the naughty side, a home made coupon book for some of the intimate things you like to do together...after all it should be about the BOTH of you.

One of the funnest (YES FUNNEST!) gifts Mrs. Number83 got me (not even on V-Day) was Gift Certs for Victoria Secrets and Hooters...she let me eat wings, stare at very well endowed women (while making fun of me beacuse I 'was never gonna get it') and then we went shopping together. She did however spend the VS gift card on Flannel PJ's...she could have done better. I think it was more for her anyway. But that was cool...it made us both happy.

Good Luck, Gwen. Nice to see things picking up for ya! Let us know how you made out!

[quote name='Clak']Very smart woman, got a gift for herself and somehow convinced you it was for you. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah...she's like that. :D

But I had wings...WINGS!!!!

The wife and I don't celebrate valentines day. We also never exchange greeting cards unless they're handmade. When we were dating, we tried to celebrate valentines day by booking a honeymoon suite at a hotel that had a fancy restaurant. She had picked out some super-slutty lingerie, and an obvious plan was in place. So we went to the hotel, sat at the bar, and drank for three hours. Good conversation... and when things started to pick-up, we headed back to our room. Somewhere between the bar and the fifth story suite, we realized we were super drunk. Six steps into the room and I was passed out half-slumped over the side of the bed. She didn't make it to the bed... as she stopped and barfed in the in-room jacuzzi tub. Never did get a chance to see her in her get-up.

Honestly, (and am I really the first to mention this?)I prefer any gift to just be a video game. Valentines, Birthday, Christmas or whatever. It's my favorite thing to do(with reading at a close second), so anytime the wife gets me a new game then I'm happy.

bread's done
Back