Arcania GOTY (lol? actually complete) edition $20 pre-order on Amazon (360 only atm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm actually excited for this. This and Two Worlds II are underrated games, and while not as polished, I enjoyed them more than the Elder Scrolls games.

I think the "Game of the Year" title is Amazon's addition because nowhere on the cover does it say that. It only says "The Complete Tale" under Arcania.

I wasn't even aware that there was DLC for this game. Did they ever fix the achievement bug that prevented you from getting 1000/1000 in the original? I never started the game due to that issue.

The DLC never came out for this, I believe, and neither was the achievements fixed.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, gives me reason to dump off my current copy.

You know, I don't even recall ever hearing of this game. How would you guys compare it to Two Worlds II? Better, or Worse?

I haven't actually played it (Arcania) yet, but I did not care for Two Worlds II at all. And I liked Two Worlds (1).

From what I hear this is on the lower end of the EuroRPGs available on console, though.

But you can't go wrong for $20, either.

[quote name='nnthomas']I haven't actually played it (Arcania) yet, but I did not care for Two Worlds II at all. And I liked Two Worlds (1).

From what I hear this is on the lower end of the EuroRPGs available on console, though.

But you can't go wrong for $20, either.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Two Worlds II for the first 15 hours or so. Then the plot became uninteresting(not that it was great to begin with) and the sub par combat began to wear on my nerves, so I just rushed through the rest of it. It could've been great with some more polish and attention to detail.

I think I will hold off until the game has been released to see if they fixed the achievement bug in this version or not. I wonder if this will have separate achievements from the original game?

I liked Two Worlds 2 up until the final battle, that really turned me off. Haven't tried Aracania yet though to compare. I understand it's nothing like Gothic 1-3 though.

Thanks OP, I played a little of this when it first came out and ended up selling it for one reason or another. I liked what I played of it, sure it's not the best RPG out there but it's decent IMHO

[quote name='jthieme']I think I will hold off until the game has been released to see if they fixed the achievement bug in this version or not. I wonder if this will have separate achievements from the original game?

I liked Two Worlds 2 up until the final battle, that really turned me off. Haven't tried Aracania yet though to compare. I understand it's nothing like Gothic 1-3 though.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that boss battle... :bomb:

[quote name='nnthomas']The DLC never came out for this, I believe, and neither was the achievements fixed.[/QUOTE]

The DLC was released on PC a while back with the console release TBD, but I don't think anyone actually expected it to get released since developing for consoles is very expensive and these European RPGs can't be very profitable to begin with.

How does this game compare to similar RPGs? The setting is more mundane. There aren't any orcs or dragons or many fantasy elements - you are just a normal guy trying to make sure that your nation doesn't get swept up in war. Personally, I loved it and I think there should be more games where you're just an average Joe and not The Savior of The Universe.

[quote name='Blaster man']What is this? I never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

It was also referred to as Gothic 4. It may have flown under your radar if you didn't pay attention to games like Two Worlds 2 and Divinity 2.

There was a demo on 360 though I believe, not sure about PS3.

I've played both the original Arcania and the addon on the PC. The original game is ok.. If you're a fan of the Gothic series you'll likely enjoy it, but don't go into it expecting anything close to the level of depth of any of the 3 Gothic games. Think of it as "Gothic Lite".

A little background on the Gothic series of games if you've never heard of them.. They were developed by Piranha Bytes who later went on to make Risen and Risen 2. This game is made by another developer entirely, so while it shares the same story and characters of Gothic, and the same type of game play as the Gothic and Risen series, it's also pretty different at the same time.

That said, the addon Fall of Setarrif is pretty bad. I bought it for like $3 and felt ripped off even them. But I guess if you're getting it as part of the whole package why not..

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought, finished and traded. Isn't a GotY Edition suppose to come out within a year, not two years after the game was released?

From Wikipedia: On March 22, 2011, JoWooD Entertainment announced that the expansion has been delayed indefinitely because of legal issues with BVT Games Fund III. However, on September 21, 2011, the new publisher, Nordic Games, announced that the addon will be available on October 25, 2011 for Microsoft Windows.

I'll pass on the GotY Ed. Hopefully, the next gen consoles will be out by the end of the year and I won't be buying anymore 360 games in the fall.

I think this is the first time that a game I haven't heard of get a GoTY edition.

Well, to be fair I wouldn't know if for a previous game both the original and GoTY eluded me.

[quote name='groundskeeper']I reserved this game at this price about a month ago. Didn't realize it was thread worthy.[/QUOTE]

Well MSRP isn't a deal per say and this is below what I see and a pre-order, so if u can find this price everywhere feel free to request a lock.

I'll try out the demo and see if it's pre-order worthy.

Can anyone comment on how the demo stacks up?... is it a good sample of the full game??

[quote name='TooPoor']I think this is the first time that a game I haven't heard of get a GoTY edition.

Well, to be fair I wouldn't know if for a previous game both the original and GoTY eluded me.[/QUOTE]

It's not a GOTY edition, that is something Amazon put. The boxart calls it "Arcania: The Complete Tale"

[quote name='GrafixGuerilla']Bought, finished and traded. Isn't a GotY Edition suppose to come out within a year, not two years after the game was released?
[/QUOTE]

I have a better question, doesn't a GotY edition mean that the original game at one point won a game of the year award?

I liked how this game dealt with light/shadows, their aren't too many games where when you whip out a torch you cast a shadow opposite it. Although the shadows were pretty jagged, for lack of a better word, and the framerate suffers at times.

If you don't pay much attention to the story, acting, etc. and you just play it for the gameplay it's not that bad. Pretty sure the combat had a lockon system, which I feel really suits this style of gameplay. I liked it enough, to finish it.

[quote name='whitereflection']Wow, I'm actually excited for this. This and Two Worlds II are underrated games, and while not as polished, I enjoyed them more than the Elder Scrolls games.

I think the "Game of the Year" title is Amazon's addition because nowhere on the cover does it say that. It only says "The Complete Tale" under Arcania.[/QUOTE]
You like the Risen series to great games.

GOTY is really just a blanket term. Many of the games that get GOTY editions I don't feel deserve the name Game of the year. But I don't really care. To me it just means a complete version of the game.

[quote name='thegame85']Why the hell do I keep thinking about getting this despite lack of funds and backlog??[/QUOTE]

If you don't compare it to it's bigger brothers, Gothic, Elder Scrolls, it's actually an enjoyable, game with beautiful graphics, it's just very simple.

[quote name='nadohawk']I thought to be a GOTY, a game had to actually do well.[/QUOTE]

technically it's the complete tale, op threw in goty

[quote name='shadowkast']technically it's the complete tale, op threw in goty[/QUOTE]

Doesn't change the fact that GOTY is a totally meaningless term nowadays, I trust more in "complete collection" or "ultimate edition" or whatever.

It's like Director's cut for movies, it is plain marketing.

im confused.. how is this different than the old version? People mentioned the old version had some achievment bug, and that DLC never came out for the console version. Is this version patched/fixed? And does it have the DLC or not? It sounds like only the ps3 version may have any DLC and the xbox version doesnt? Can anyone clarify what this actually has?

I don't know where Amazon got GOTY from. Both the PS3 and the 360 version are called "The Complete Tale". It's a package containing Arcania Gothic 4 which has been released previously and the Arcania Gothic 4 expansion Fall of Setariff which has only been previously available on the PC. The expansion adds several hours of gameplay, new monsters and quests and the ability to play as several new characters. The UK release date is April, so I would assume both the PS3 and 360 version will release somewhere in that timeframe instead of August, but who knows with a small publisher like Nordic.

[quote name='Kenshindono']im confused.. how is this different than the old version? People mentioned the old version had some achievment bug, and that DLC never came out for the console version. Is this version patched/fixed? And does it have the DLC or not? It sounds like only the ps3 version may have any DLC and the xbox version doesnt? Can anyone clarify what this actually has?[/QUOTE]

Uh... don't make it sound complicated than it is. This isn't MENSA level.

- The original version is impossible to get 1000 (X360) due to a bug.
- The DLC never came out on X360

This "complete" version includes the DLC as shown on the boxart.

There is no more info beyond that, regarding what this even provides, as well as achievements (is it the same list? is it a whole different list, similar to Divinity 2 / Divinity 2 DKS?)

[quote name='nnthomas']Uh... don't make it sound complicated than it is. This isn't MENSA level.

- The original version is impossible to get 1000 (X360) due to a bug.
- The DLC never came out on X360

This "complete" version includes the DLC as shown on the boxart.

There is no more info beyond that, regarding what this even provides, as well as achievements (is it the same list? is it a whole different list, similar to Divinity 2 / Divinity 2 DKS?)[/QUOTE]

skimming the thread it sounded like the PS3 version was the only one to have the DLC. Hence why its more expensive. Sounds like this version would have it too. No one knows if the achievement bug is fixed though i guess?

I'll have to look up what the DLC is to see if this warrants a purchase. I have the original one, so maybe i'll get this for the PS3 or something

Imho, Gothic arcania is decent but I highly recommend getting it for pc if you can, it runs and looks great. I need to get on this expansion soon though.

Just downloaded and played the demo for about an hour. The game is rough both graphically and the voice acting is bad. Despite that I really enjoyed it, it's kinda charming in its own way. I will pick this bad boy up later this year.

BUT did they EVER PATCH IT to fix the BROKEN ACHIEVEMENTS?? BUYER BEWARE! That said, I just pre-ordered because I like to gamble.

Literally one of the worst games I have ever played -- stopped after about six or so hours. It's not just bad for a Gothic game (not that it is because it isn't even made by PB) it's just a bad game period. From the engine to the writing to the world design to the npcs to the quests to the combat to the character progression... it's bad. I would be embarrassed to have my name associated with this title if I were a developer.

Really? I don't think it's that bad. It's like a good PC RPG from 2003. It's also one of the prettier Euro-RPGs. If I worked on this game, you couldn't get me to stop crowing about it. "Poor man's Oblivion!"

You really have to know what you're in for and why you're playing these janky Euro RPGs -- and it isn't for the immersive worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back