Dust 514 CAG community list

Diad

CAGiversary!
https://dust514.com/
This is a game with big ambitions. So help the dev (and game community) by using the official Dust forums to post feedback/bugs/high-fives/support the community
https://forums.dust514.com/
Thread is wiki so if there is enough interest, we may change it into a Clan info page.

Dust 514 is PS3, free-to-play first-person shooter based in the world of http://www.eveonline.com/. Which itself has a large and dedicated fanbase.
"There is direct interaction between the two; player actions in one game affect the political and economic status of the other." , Dust 514wiki

The game can be had free from the PSN store (2.6GB). So it doesnt cost anything to play other than some disk space. There are items you can buy in-game for real-life money or buy with in-game currency.

Yes, you create your own charcter and (in unusal FPS fashion) they even have female skins. You can chose your background too but if you dont play EVE it may not mean much to you... yet.

So far there are 4 basic classes:
Enforcer- Rifle for standard run and gun
Arbiter- Long range rifle
Artificer-Medic/Repair
Sentinel- Heavy weapon/armor

*this is a new game for everyone so dont hesitate to post some tips!*

hope to see some of you server side ^_^b

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got it and it's confusing but for the price (free) worth checking out. Graphics are so so and gameplay isn't amazing but since it's only a beta I'm sure it'll improve.

I've actually been looking forward to this thread popping up. Been off the PS3 for a while and Dust has been on my watch list as a freebie.

[quote name='bearhawk72']2.6 GB to download, it patches in game so I don't know how big the patch is.[/QUOTE]

Nice, downloading now. For someone reason I thought the previous trial was like 14GB...

Just played today. Pretty good, but I agree it's a bit confusing navigating the drop and then what the hell to do.

[quote name='orntar']Just played today. Pretty good, but I agree it's a bit confusing navigating the drop and then what the hell to do.[/QUOTE]

This. I also found the aiming to be...loose?

[quote name='Mad39er']I've actually been looking forward to this thread popping up. Been off the PS3 for a while and Dust has been on my watch list as a freebie.[/QUOTE]

OSCARMAYER is back! Just downloaded and curious as well.

Anybody interested in a Corporation? I've got enough money on two different characters to make one.

For my own personal tips... If you want to play a Sniper and choose the Arbiter default class, do not use the Arbiter Armor or the Militia Scout Armor, use the Assault - Scout armor, you'll live a lot longer. Starting Artificer or Enforcer is a lot easier and it starts with Grenadier which no other class starts with(expensive to buy into early on). Don't buy into Turrets early on because they get mounted on vehicles, not the installations that get dropped down.

Tried sniping...controls are just too loose, though it appears aim assist is enabled by default? Regardless, I just created an Enforcer character since I was pulling out my handgun during most battles while trying the Sniper class.

EDIT: I'll probably jump on a bit later. I need to find my headset and then let it charge for an hour or so.

Oh! I knew I forgot something. The SMG can be used as a Sidearm. Cheapest one to purchase is the Militia Submachine Gun which can be used without any skills. Much better than the handgun, it comes with a decent set of ADS sights. I really dislike the handguns because the iron sights suck and it's lack of capacity.

I like the SMG so much I use it on all my classes.

Just tried it, and only get dumped in matches that are almost done. Is there a way to jump into a lobby to be guaranteed a full match? Maybe I missed something since theres a ton to this game from the looks of it

[quote name='4thHorseman']Just tried it, and only get dumped in matches that are almost done. Is there a way to jump into a lobby to be guaranteed a full match? Maybe I missed something since theres a ton to this game from the looks of it[/QUOTE]
Not really, but if you join with a squad you're less likely to get thrown into a match that had one or two people leave. Trouble is finding a squad, there is an awful lot of interface. I did leave the CAG channel up, anybody can hop in.

No input on a corporation name, eh? I'll have to come up with something, the CAG Tag always brought me bad luck in COD when we rocked it.

[quote name='langdon_alger']Heeeyo, found the person I'm going to play with![/QUOTE]
LOL. You're welcome to squad up with me langdon. Every other match it seems I'm with a bunch of noobs and end up breaking even. Other matches I'll do well but still lose, so since there's 15+ other people, I don't mind squadding up or even corping up with CAGs.

Verban Umbrage, Savage Rawr and Foxglow Shadowfallen are my toons. If it didn't take 10 hours and I didn't have 3 million, I'd delete Foxglow and rename him something manlier. And of course the CAG channel is open. Just join it to chat :)

Holy balls this game is not new-user friendly!

Looks like there are loadout items that are single use and some that are permanent? And suits, oh the suits!

Mad, break it down for us, what the hell should I be spending my 500,000 (monies) on?

[quote name='langdon_alger']Holy balls this game is not new-user friendly!

Looks like there are loadout items that are single use and some that are permanent? And suits, oh the suits!

Mad, break it down for us, what the hell should I be spending my 500,000 (monies) on?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, user friendly it definitely isn't. You'll have 3 character slots. Do not pick them with the intention of summoning up robots, turrets, installations and stuff. You can't. The easiest classes to get into right away are going to be Enforcer and Artificer. Artificer mimics the Medic from BFBC2 with starting with a nanoinjector, Enforcer starts with grenades and bare bones combat skills. Both start with Assault Rifles. There is a Heavy Machine Gun class that needs to be unlocked but you can access it with the Militia Heavy Dropsuit(which you will need to buy). As for what to spend your money on, you'll need it to unlock skills. So try to buy as little as possible and use default unlimited Militia equipment or buy the cheaper Militia stuff and use it like I outline below.

Enforcer/Artificer - Recommendations
If you start Enforcer or Artificer, the best thing you can do is immediately switch to the Assault Frontline template dropsuit. It's a blueprint dropsuit, unlimited everything at default. It costs you no money to use it in it's default state. Enforcers can also use the Enforcer dropsuit which comes with nanohives on default, which is also a blueprint suit as well. Artificer dropsuits have less armor than the Assault dropsuits but put out more CPU, the tradeoff is negligible once you start buying your own equipment, so stick to the Assault suit early on.

Ditch the Militia Recharger but keep the Militia Shield Extender on, buy another Militia Shield Extender to replace the Recharger, make sure you have Militia Shield Extenders in both High Powered slots, you only use 1 each time you spawn instead of two. The Recharger isn't as helpful as the extra Shield will be.

Swap out the Stamina Module on the right for a Militia Armor Repair module, this will allow your Armor to repair it's self at 2 armor points a second. Armor is your Health. Shield is Shield. Buy a Militia SMG, they're cheap enough to start using immediately. Skip the Nanoinjectors initially, while they're good to have when you're camped with a bunch of people, they get you killed quick if you run around trying to revive people(I speak from experience). If you can fit the Militia Nanohive you can recover ammo as if you were next to a Supply Drop installation. Plus you regen ammo for your team, it replenishes ammo and grenades.

Try not to buy anything that isn't Militia related early on. You need the money to spend on unlocking skills. Unlock the first level of SMG, Assault Rifle and Grenades as quickly as possible. The reason for Grenades is that it's expensive but the grenades you purchase in the market come 3 to a pack, the Militia ones only let you stock 2 Locus grenades. You can take out light vehicles with 2 Anti Armor grenades that actually home in on the target, 4+ to take out heavy tanks. SMG and Assault Rifle will let you buy the Market(non-Militia) versions at L1 that reduce CPU, PG and up ammo magazine capacity when you get more money.

Circuitry, Nanocircuitry(for the Nanohives), Field Mechanics and Dropsuit Command will be useful. Weapons is a must, if you want a heavy machine gun, you need Weapons 4. If you want a Forge Gun, you need Weapons 5. So all in all, that should cover a decent portion for more than a few matches.

Yeah, definitely not new user friendly...got on last night for a match before my headset was giving me an annoying thumping sound but that's a different story. Finished 6/5 and the team got it handed to them.

The spawn points suck unless it was just my team. :) I'm trying to figure out why the heck I need to run ALL the way across the map after each death. As for my team, I could not figure out why they kept running straight up the middle of the map. Call me crazy but that seems like suicide. And no Mad, not the "kill my whole team when I have the flag" type of suicide.

I may get on tonight for a bit....still not sure how to organize a team.

found my lost password just to respond. best thing is go to the dust forums and start reading under training grounds. experiment. or buy one militia grade everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99Aop0e1sE&feature=youtu.be.

try being an assault (versatile shooter... typical COD/mW/type player), logistics (engineered + medic) or heavy (meat tank + big gun). i hate snipers. with that being said, i dislike the wheel. ive been killed so many times healing a teammate and can't switch fast enough to my gun from my armor repair tool. Also, the rez aren't exact. I feel I need to click the rez button 10 times for a resurrection.

if you're medically inclined, then: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=404316#post404316. you get so much more sp from doing stuff rather than looking for kills. in fact, i wish i was around more dumb asses. the maps are too big and spread apart that I seldom by other people. then how can i fix you up? And when i try to take a objective, then theres no one else around, especially if you're logi b/c they're not made to kill. (plenty of experience from mag). so sneak around, capture, sneak around, capture, find dumbasses and then heal them. if you find a really injured heavy, you can earn anywhere from 100 to 150 sp (vs 50 sp for a kill and 60 sp for rez). so in a deathmatch, i can go 1-2 and be the top player with 1300 sp.

love/hate the stupid level cap. it means that you play 2 hrs a day and stop b/c games after cap will only earn you 50 sp's (xp) and about 150-200 isk ($).

ive played and level 50 each faction in mag. so im used to tons of simultaneous shit.

top skills include: drop ship command, weaponry, field mechanics, combat engineering, shield control, shield enchancements, circuitry
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmaDmQ0quOz3dEcyLVlzY2xiTGdtV3JPOUZoYU5MV0E#gid=0

spawn pts suck. you need to be the smart guy on your team that has uplink module (mobile spawn pt). don't forget if you're far away, then hit right on d pad to get the cheapo freebie lav. the controls suck b/c you didnt invest skills. And just in BF, damn the tanks are awesome if you're lucky enough to jump into someone else's tank.

So, beyond the low-level "Militia" guns, everything else you have to buy on a 'per-respawn' basis? I thought I bought an upgraded sniper rifle, equipped it. Entered a match, died, and couldn't use that loadout anymore...

Is EVERYTHING bought on a 'per-spawn' basis?

Or if I use real money to buy Aurum and use that to buy weapons, do I get to keep them forever?

sneaky bastards. business model: limited supply. you need rebuy used stuff. only thing that sticks are your skills. you may be higher end items but you need to make sure you meet the prerequisites for using them. but you end up earning about 200k/match so dont worry about not making enough to justify dying. when you get to proto stuff, then its a different story.

[quote name='langdon_alger']So, beyond the low-level "Militia" guns, everything else you have to buy on a 'per-respawn' basis? I thought I bought an upgraded sniper rifle, equipped it. Entered a match, died, and couldn't use that loadout anymore...

Is EVERYTHING bought on a 'per-spawn' basis?

Or if I use real money to buy Aurum and use that to buy weapons, do I get to keep them forever?[/QUOTE]
If you use Aurum only blueprint items are unlimited. Otherwise they're single spawn-use item. Meaning if you don't die, you get to keep it. If you die you use an item.

[quote name='Cardiff Giant']Tried this again and I just don't get it/can't get into it. Might give it one more try but it just isn't grabbing me.[/QUOTE]
Keep the, "well it is free and in Beta" in mind. That helps a lot. This game reminds me a lot of frantic B-Company 1 fights. Any CAG'ers who plays EVE online out there? We need an inside man/woman!

Just tried a round today. I don't really know what to say. I mean I don't hate it, but it doesn't scream I need to play this. Kinda average for me. If I had friends join I would play but other than that, not thrilled.

I'm hopeful they'll have more everything, its very limited in some regards and open in others. I love the inertial dampers when jumping long downward distances. They need to remove the so cap or widen it considerably.

getting killed too fast?

try this helpful info:
"Run a speed shotti scout suit made from all militia gear. It can one shot everything except a heavy, for them it take two. Learn how to be stealthy and sneak around while coming up behind guys and popping them.

Or, jump into a turret and start taking people out. Or run a logi suit and stay behind your blue dot kilers and repair them. Or, get into a LAV and play Carmageddon. Or jump into a tank gunner spot and gun. Or sneak around and hack everything.

So many options for low SP toons as they build up their SP. Get to it."

i love playing carmaeddon. you have shitty controls because theres no skill pts invested in. but everytime you run over someone, its totally worth it. you can easily go 10/2 in a deathmatch. during gameplay, hit right on dpad, select lav vehicle and wait 15 seconds.

Tried this out, and it is really not newbie friendly. I mean I read/listened to all the tutorials and I still am confused on lots of things. Most I don't even know how to ask because I don't understand the lingo.

I have no clue what to invest in, until I played 4 rounds and I'm unloading 3 clips into a guy I surprised while hacking and he won't die. Then he turns and I get hit once and die. Guess go heavy armor?

I had one good match where the (14?) other players almost all stuck together and we were a moving death squad, capturing point to point. Other matches I've tried to stick to green squad members, but they split shortly.

Is there anyway to interact, join a corp, or anything with someone from Eve?

invest a few pts in drop ship command, field mechanics (most definitely), and shield boost systems. these will keep you alive, especially the field mechanics.

kaza - it really depends on how you play. i really like the militia assault rifle. i even switched back from the level 2 rifles back to the freebie one. dont go heavy armor unless you want to be a tank heavy because the weight/movement penalty is too large. i ran across 5 clan members all playing heavies. they were almost unstoppable with their gear. i got a few of them playing carmaggedeon before they killed me with anti vehicle nades. at those high levels, without help with others, i can only go head to head against them with speed shotty (scout + shotty + kinetic mods). Try the speed shotty out with the militia scout dropsuit + militia shotgun + militia kinetic mod + militia shield extender.

have you played all the default classes? does one seem easier to you? once you find a suit that you like (heavy, assault, logistics, or scout), try to get the specialized racial suits for that class. they are significantly better than the militia dropsuit. the general advice is to spread out your skill points to see what you like. to be elite, you need to be specialize. for me, i'm playing a logi bro (medic/engineer). so i spent all my sp on staying alive to heal and revive dying and dead people (got a level logi suit, shield boost systems to L4 (increases shield recharge rate) to qualify for shield control that permanently increases my shield max, and had a L4 field mechanics). the other way to go is to focus on causing damage with damage mods and weaponry (+2% weapon damage per level, +3% weapon proficiency damage per level). Furthermore, I play at odd hours and don't have time to join a corp. So, I'm usually playing "merc" games & my teammates suck and split up and don't help at all. hence, i focused on staying alive based on shields rather than armor.

if you play randoms, then there is only silence. if you're playing with legit corps, then everyone is talking. the best way to get better is to join up with corp. theres a bunch on the dust forums that are newb friendly and welcome questions. they even have you team up in matches and point stuff out to you. & they offer advice on skill allotment.

to get more points in a round, see my previous post that I copied from dust forums. good info.

Thanks, I will look into investing field mechanics, drop ship, and shield boost. From memory, I didn't understand what some skills even do. "Able to use shield nodes" or something. I just bumped a lot of unallocated points into Weaponry, since it was passive and actually told me the stat boost.

Is the marketplace linked to Eve? Who is selling these weapons/etc? Because I look at a list of SMG, and I see a level 1, then it jumps to level V.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Thanks, I will look into investing field mechanics, drop ship, and shield boost.[/QUOTE]

Already had Field Mechanics Lv.2, level 3 didn't add much. Couldn't find drop ship. And I tried shields but they didn't help. Still dying in 1 hit. This game just doesn't do anything to help a new player. Sure I get can get past 1k WP on a match, but I always have 10+ deaths. Cheap deaths just makes the game not fun.

If I see a Heavy, I'm dead even if I run around a corner. Everyone else's assault rifle seems to have 100% acc from 30ft away. Shotgun kills in 1 hit and I've never seen them reloading. Snipers just hide all match. Vehicles run you over from around a corner. If I ever do manage to kill someone, it's probably because they have no buffs like me.

After the initial map start, no one stays together. I try to follow people around and heal them, support fire, but eventually it comes down to 1 person, they die, and I have no defense to take out said enemy so I could revive them. Every respawn after that first death is horrible. In that it's either hike miles to action/team or spawn and sniper kills you before you appear.

Never heard a single voice chatter. Now, I'm not sure if that's because only CORPs can chat? Otherwise all the team/squad mates have never uttered a peep.

Can you change the controls? Click stick to run = dumb. Not that running is any good anyway, can't reload, stamina drains. Jumping is bad for stamina. Once I even jumped up a hill and it said "you died from falling". I thought I got hit by a sniper, so I double checked that death kill, and it was a suicide for sure.

Starting up the Celerity Acquisitions Group for a Corporation. Ticker is cagro. Should be able to search for Celerity or cagro. I got bored with the description. I still have no idea how it works but when I'm around I'll approve the applicants and buy more skill in the corp.

[quote name='Dead_Batteries']What's your PSN Kazaganthi? Perhaps we can play. It's usually just Mad39er and me that's on the CAG chat.[/QUOTE]
sorry! school & work = blah free time

[quote name='Dead_Batteries']What's your PSN Kazaganthi? Perhaps we can play. It's usually just Mad39er and me that's on the CAG chat.[/QUOTE]

Koraf

Tried this and not really liking it. Was expecting a nice shooter with deep customization, but the sheer amount of skills to unlock, gear to buy, and rebuy, is far too complicated for me. I want to play, not have to learn new lingo, and need an encyclopedia to tell me what all five thousand items are for.

Just too complicated...not sure if I'm going to delete it or save it for when I have nothing else to play.

[quote name='praxus07']Tried this and not really liking it. Was expecting a nice shooter with deep customization, but the sheer amount of skills to unlock, gear to buy, and rebuy, is far too complicated for me. I want to play, not have to learn new lingo, and need an encyclopedia to tell me what all five thousand items are for.

Just too complicated...not sure if I'm going to delete it or save it for when I have nothing else to play.[/QUOTE]
Personal suggestion is if you're going to take a break from it, create a new character, like the Enforcer and Activate Passive SP on it. This way if you ever return, it'll be loaded and you'll be able to buy whatever skills you want.

If you're a Plus subscriber there is the starter kit for free in the PS Store. $9.99 value. Gets you Aurum, a 7 day booster and goodies.

[quote name='Mad39er']If you're a Plus subscriber there is the starter kit for free in the PS Store. $9.99 value. Gets you Aurum, a 7 day booster and goodies.[/QUOTE]

I think it was 2,000 Aurum. The 7 day booster is an active booster, so don't equip it until you know you'll play 7 days in a row :p

As for the other goodies, not sure exactly what they do. One of the guns was quantity 1, so I assume I'll lose it after 1 death once put on dropsuit fitting?

What is a good idea to spend Aurum on? I'm mainly thinking of those 3 booster slots, since you can't buy anything for there with ISK.

the gun is permanent, you don't lose it after 1 use. it's the same stats as the militia, but i think it has faster reload. Why doesn't it disappear, I have no idea. Another layer of confusion in this game. You also get 3 drop suits (with 20 uses each).

[quote name='langdon_alger']the gun is permanent, you don't lose it after 1 use. it's the same stats as the militia, but i think it has faster reload. Why doesn't it disappear, I have no idea. Another layer of confusion in this game. You also get 3 drop suits (with 20 uses each).[/QUOTE]
It's probably a blueprint gun, anything with a blue outline around it is infinite. So your initial starting suit, the four Assault suits and any blueprinted items you buy are infinite. Those blueprint dropsuits also include freebie weapons and stuff, since they come pre-loaded with yellow bordered Militia equipment pieces. It takes a little planning but I only spend like 1500 or so per dropsuit restock when I initially start. Once I open up the first level of dropsuits it's up to like 20k a spawn since those don't come with any pre-loaded items.

bread's done
Back