Ok mods, what's the deal with my temp bans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohdough

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Trolls are trolling all over Vs and I get suspended for posts one mod agrees with in the OT forum and I wasn't even trying to pick a fight. Does someone want me gone or are passive aggressive attacks from certain forum members the only types allowed?

If you guys want to turn Vs into a serious debate forum, I welcome it, but the rules are not being enforced uniformly whatsoever. If I report someone, nothing happens. When someone reports me for something, probably anything at this point, I get a ban.

I enjoy CAG, so let me know what's going on. If this is "personal," I'd rather not have other recently suspended CAGs be banned because of me. If this is too public to address, I'm sure I could be reached anonymously through the site to my email from an admin account.

Thanks.

I figured you must have been on a "vacation". To be honest I don't like the vs thread as much without your strong opinions even if I don't agree with most of them.

I haven't been on this site as long as you but I'd have to assume if people get silenced or banned it is because a regular "Joe" is reporting them. I don't think the mods take it upon themselves to ban someone just because they disagree with the post or poster (maybe they do I really don't know).

That being said I think if you have to resort to ignoring people or taking it a step further and reporting people in the vs forum of all places then you really shouldn't be in there posting.

Their is some adult conversations that go on but nothing that I have seen that I would consider to be over the line offensive.

I hope you get this straightened out or at least get a set of guidelines so you know where the "line" is and can figure out how to toe it.

[quote name='dohdough']the rules are not being enforced uniformly whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Speaking specifically of the vs. forums, I wholeheartedly agree with this point. Enforce it consistently there, or not at all.

I've actually been testing the theory about how the rules are applied and I agree as well. Trolls are trolling like trolls tend to do, and nothing gets done when we report it. When I think back to some folks who visited vs and were banned (that Sgtwhateverthehell guy), then I see doh, RvB, and camoor banned, I can only assume that someone thinks they were as deserving of it as that guy was, and whatever they did to get banned could not possibly have been as bad as what he was doing. Temp ban or not, it's ridiculous. Even more so when I know for a fact that some threads are basically hands off when it comes to the rules, they aren't enforced at all it seems.

If you want to ban someone, ban Temp for trolling us whenever something about guns gets posted.The guy only comes in long enough to shit on the thread and duck out immediately afterwards.

your lucky zynga does not run this site...

picked up 20 bucks to play their games last year.... money never goes into my account so i go into their forums and go i never got my in game cash

2 hours late i get a email saying i got a lifetime banned from their fourms for saying that...

stupid thing is all you have to do is make up another name and Post in their fourms again (did this 3 times LOL)

[quote name='slidecage']your lucky zynga does not run this site...

picked up 20 bucks to play their games last year.... money never goes into my account so i go into their forums and go i never got my in game cash

2 hours late i get a email saying i got a lifetime banned from their fourms for saying that...

stupid thing is all you have to do is make up another name and Post in their fourms again (did this 3 times LOL)[/QUOTE]

Just quoting this to show that it was indeed said in this topic.

[quote name='confoosious']guys, when you get banned, the mod who does the banning never identifies him/herself right?[/QUOTE]

We prefer to keep things clandestine here at the 'ole CAGhole.

Do people really take things seriously enough to tattle to a mod? It's just anonymous internet ramblings! Just ignore that person if you don't like what they are saying. I mean, I don't agree with dohdough on pretty much everything but when I saw he was temporarily banned I felt a little sad inside. :cry:

Somebody does, I can't imagine any of the mods would just take it upon themselves. Then again, I could be wrong about that.

I got banned for a week during Sandy. My crime? I said, in very raw words, that the people who didn't heed the governor's warning to evacuate their towns, were selfish and putting other people at risk.

Now, for all the things I could be banned for, that seems silly. But I have no idea who banned me. It seems like for something like that, as opposed to spam or racial attacks or shit like that, that a mod could at least start a dialogue or identify himself.

If you're gonna ban someone, even if it's dohdough(!), at least let them explain themselves. I guess identifying yourself is a little too much to ask? I dunno. Seems fair to me.

Setting aside the present state of the political debate subforum...

I've been saying for ages that this place should have some manner of "banned user graveryard", like so many other forums. Teamliquid has one, as well as a greasemonkey script to make it easier to navigate and a thread devoted specifically to rubbernecking. SA has its Leper's Colony, which you should fuckin' see the day after an election, holy shit. The Escapist doesn't have one, but it modifies every single post by the banned person with a link to the post that they were banned for.

Now, I imagine that a CAG equivalent would be a lot more boring than those examples. Far more "generic spambot" and less "you are a worthless human being please never return to this website". But it would still serve its purpose. For the average user, it would sate their curiousity when they see someone they recognize suddenly banned and they know not why. For the mods, they can use it as a giant, "Hey, you see this? You see what that guy did back there? Don't fucking do that." sign.

Продаю реганные аккаунты: Facebook.com EN , Hotmail.com , Twitter.com UK , GMX.com и многое другое в наличии и на заказ.

- очень большой ассортимент + различные аккаунты активированные по смс

По всем вопросам пишите сразу в аську ICQ 231538

интернет магазин где продаются дневники майл ру , продажа аккаунтов вконтакте , сайт для покупки аккаунтов вконтакте , facebook akkaunti , купить gmail аккаунты , mamba.ru real номер , покупка аккаунтов вконтакте с фото , покупка аккаунтов вконтакте , продаем аккаунты вк , онлайн магазин аккаунтов , email yahoo.com купить , продажа аккаунтов вконтакте , vkontakte.ru codi , магазин аккаунтов мамба , магазин аккаунтов вконтакте .

[quote name='confoosious']I got banned for a week during Sandy. My crime? I said, in very raw words, that the people who didn't heed the governor's warning to evacuate their towns, were selfish and putting other people at risk.

Now, for all the things I could be banned for, that seems silly. But I have no idea who banned me. It seems like for something like that, as opposed to spam or racial attacks or shit like that, that a mod could at least start a dialogue or identify himself.

If you're gonna ban someone, even if it's dohdough(!), at least let them explain themselves. I guess identifying yourself is a little too much to ask? I dunno. Seems fair to me.[/QUOTE]

Stop lying, you and IATCG were having a public love affair and it got a little steamy. =P

[quote name='kentimmekly']Продаю реганные аккаунты: Facebook.com EN , Hotmail.com , Twitter.com UK , GMX.com и многое другое в наличии и на заказ.

- очень большой ассортимент + различные аккаунты активированные по смс

По всем вопросам пишите сразу в аську ICQ 231538

интернет магазин где продаются дневники майл ру , продажа аккаунтов вконтакте , сайт для покупки аккаунтов вконтакте , facebook akkaunti , купить gmail аккаунты , mamba.ru real номер , покупка аккаунтов вконтакте с фото , покупка аккаунтов вконтакте , продаем аккаунты вк , онлайн магазин аккаунтов , email yahoo.com купить , продажа аккаунтов вконтакте , vkontakte.ru codi , магазин аккаунтов мамба , магазин аккаунтов вконтакте .[/QUOTE]
Like I said, a banned use graveyard would probably look pretty boring here because of stuff like this.

[quote name='skiizim']Stop lying, you and IATCG were having a public love affair and it got a little steamy. =P[/QUOTE]

No, the mods loved that. Those saucy bastards.

@crotch - that lepers colony thing is pretty neat. I have zero idea what the hell any of the posts on somethingawful mean though.

There really is a lack of openness here. Mods take an action and nobody knows why, not even sure the banned member knows sometimes. Seems that sometimes people get banned just because the mod who finds the post doesn't like it themselves, never mind any rule against it. And the worst part is that they've seen this thread and are hiding in the shadows as usual.

SA Forums has the most transparent system I've seen. Suspensions and bans require a regular mod to submit and a super mod to approve along with an explanation, which is all viewable in the user's profile and all linked to the offending post. Banned members also don't have their existence completely wiped from the forums, unlike some users here. If slidecage was ever banned, I'd still like to be able to go back and have a chuckle at the insanity. I don't have that luxury with gargus. edit: Point is that it would give others an explanation as to why.

After reading the pinned Tag Abuse thread, I can safely assume that they have their own private subforum to discuss these matters and that Cheapy isn't as hands-off as myke may think.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clak']There really is a lack of openness here. Mods take an action and nobody knows why, not even sure the banned member knows sometimes. Seems that sometimes people get banned just because the mod who finds the post doesn't like it themselves, never mind any rule against it. And the worst part is that they've seen this thread and are hiding in the shadows as usual.[/QUOTE]

I'm not hiding from anything. The Vs. forum is mostly an un-moderated forum, compared to the rest of the site. I usually leave it be, but I've seen some of the shit that is said in that forum from reported posts, and I don't blame any mod for temp banning people for it. Temp bans are usually handed out on a per-moderator basis. When I temp ban someone, I do have the option of showing them the reason, and I do. I will warn the user either in the thread or via PM before I do so though.

[quote name='dohdough']After reading the pinned Tag Abuse thread, I can safely assume that they have their own private subforum to discuss these matters and that Cheapy isn't as hands-off as myke may think.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Cheapy and us mods discuss everything in a private subforum. As I mentioned above, most temp bans are dealt with by a single mod, but we discuss permanent bans before any action is taken.

don't get me wrong, I never pointed to one person and said so-and-so is hands off. Historically, the vs. forum was very, very, VERY "hands off" in regards to mods. That's clearly changed, and that's fine. That's what I meant - that particular subforum, not this mod or that.

I don't think anyone is saying should not have happened. I simply think people would like (a) explanations consistently given and (b) equal enforcement. (b) in particular, because it appears that some users get special treatment in those forums, and despite being obnoxious trolls, they get no sanction ever.

All I would like to see is equity; transparency is nice, but the former is more important.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm not hiding from anything. The Vs. forum is mostly an un-moderated forum, compared to the rest of the site. I usually leave it be, but I've seen some of the shit that is said in that forum from reported posts, and I don't blame any mod for temp banning people for it. Temp bans are usually handed out on a per-moderator basis. When I temp ban someone, I do have the option of showing them the reason, and I do. I will warn the user either in the thread or via PM before I do so though.[/quote]
Firstly, thank you for making an appearance, especially as a mod, to give some insight. This actually clears a lot of things up in regards to some of the mechanics of bans and the nature of moderating Vs. Us regulars all know that mods are mostly hands-off in Vs. except for extreme cases and that's been relatively consistent since I've been a member, but this has changed.

The main issue I have is with the bolded because while there's a reason, it's still anonymous and from who I've seen disciplined, there's just a complete lack of consistency especially in Vs. For instance, there have been about a handful of permanent bans last year that mostly consist of super racist trolls that decide to try and turn it into Stormfront over the course of a couple of days that get banned, yet you have someone like halo4/05(?), who's offense was calling them out for what they were, getting banned as well. On the another hand, you have other trolls that don't go whole hog and passive aggressively troll for years.

For a long while, posts were just pulled and edited, but no bans, temporary or otherwise. I know for a fact that before I was even a member, when there were a bunch of CAG's that just couldn't get along, they were all told to put eachother on ignore and if they directly addressed eachother again, there would be permanent bans, but at least this was a two-way street. Lately, all I've been seeing is one way (temporary) bans with no warnings whatsoever. I also know for a fact that I'm being targeted by one particular CAG and he's probably targeting a couple others. Why this particular CAG doesn't receive any scrutiny or reprimand is beyond me.

Correct. Cheapy and us mods discuss everything in a private subforum. As I mentioned above, most temp bans are dealt with by a single mod, but we discuss permanent bans before any action is taken.
Glad to know there's a protocol. Just for clarification, each mod has the power to temp ban someone and it's up to each individual mod's discretion, right? I'm assuming that there are specific mods per subforum.

pseudo edit: I agree with mykevermin in that transparency would be nice, but equitable enforcement is far more important.

[quote name='dohdough']On the Lately, all I've been seeing is one way (temporary) bans with no warnings whatsoever. I also know for a fact that I'm being targeted by one particular CAG and he's probably targeting a couple others. Why this particular CAG doesn't receive any scrutiny or reprimand is beyond me.
[/QUOTE]

So, are you thinking this is the same CAG as last time?

^---That's why you shouldn't leave the sanctity of the Lego thread. =P

I think anybody that has visited vs. knows who it is. >_

[quote name='dohdough']Just for clarification, each mod has the power to temp ban someone and it's up to each individual mod's discretion, right? I'm assuming that there are specific mods per subforum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, each mod can temp ban and it's up to the individual. All the mods look over all forums. There's no forum specific mods.

[quote name='skiizim']^---That's why you shouldn't leave the sanctity of the Lego thread. =P

I think anybody that has visited vs. knows who it is. >_

[quote name='Trakan']Yeah, each mod can temp ban and it's up to the individual. All the mods look over all forums. There's no forum specific mods.[/QUOTE]

Can all mods at least see all bans? Not like it would change if not, but it should work that way just to keep people in check if necessary.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That CAG is notoriously absent from this thread which only further fits with his passive aggressive nature.[/QUOTE]

I just don't have much to add to this discussion. I've made my POV very clear - I will continue to mark posts that I feel cross the line of decency - and that includes posts accusing me of sexually assaulting children.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Can all mods at least see all bans? Not like it would change if not, but it should work that way just to keep people in check if necessary.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

:rofl: I learned back in elementary school that the kids to avoid were the ones who went crying to teacher the minute things didn't go their way. I further learned that most of those kids were also the ones that liked to put themselves into a position to be able to go cry to teacher. Who knows what drives that type of behavior? Narcissism, anti-social personality, inferiority complex, or just plain doesn't play well with others?

At any rate, interacting with those people directly just isn't worth it. Of course, that lack of willingness to interact with them only leads them to further indignant outbursts but sometimes when Lucy holds the football the best thing to do is just not acknowledge the game she's playing.

Well I have resisted using my ignore button on certain people since I have personally not had a problem but after reading through this thread I decided to enact my own personal ban of someone.

In general, the bar for getting banned on forums should be set much higher. Arguments and fighting are part of human nature, and I don't know why we expect people to behave differently on the Internet. I think dohdough has stupid opinions, but he should not be banned for anything he has said, even if he called someone a dirty word.

The whole netiquette, flaming, trolling philosophy of the Internet has always been fucking retarded anyway. There's so much fake politeness in society as it is. In essence, a lot of Internet forums have turned into the typical corporate office. You can't say shit. At the end of the day, people love trolling and they love drama despite repeated claims to the contrary. This is evidenced by the simple rule that the vast majority of people fail to follow, "Do not respond to trolls." No, they love responding to trolls and trolling others. Of course, in the modern day, trolling is seen simply as having an opinion differing from the prevailing one.

But I will say, I am surprised I haven't been banned many times on this forum, which leads credence to the idea that the political forum is hands off. It makes sense. The deals forum is where the money is and the political forum is not even that active by most standards.

[quote name='dohdough']SA Forums has the most transparent system I've seen. [/QUOTE]
They also ban you for having the wrong opinion, but then again, you do hold all the opinions that would fly there. Might as well just post on ThinkProgress or Media Matters. Also, it was once the place where a lot of people went to hang out and relax and chill out, but now it's where fun goes to die and it turned into a catlady forum. Check out the Internet for more details on this.

[quote name='UncleBob']I just don't have much to add to this discussion. I've made my POV very clear - I will continue to mark posts that I feel cross the line of decency - and that includes posts accusing me of sexually assaulting children.[/QUOTE]
Well, then stop doing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skiizim']I'm at a loss for words... Stop marking post or the latter?[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry, I should have snipped that quote. I did not mean to imply that UncleBob should stop reporting posts.

[quote name='confoosious']I disagree with everything that spokker said. Just because most of the Internet is a free for all doesn't mean Cag should be.[/QUOTE]

People who didn't heed the moderator's warning to follow the rules were being selfish and putting other posters at risk!

[quote name='Trakan']I'm not hiding from anything. The Vs. forum is mostly an un-moderated forum, compared to the rest of the site. I usually leave it be, but I've seen some of the shit that is said in that forum from reported posts, and I don't blame any mod for temp banning people for it. Temp bans are usually handed out on a per-moderator basis. When I temp ban someone, I do have the option of showing them the reason, and I do. I will warn the user either in the thread or via PM before I do so though.

Correct. Cheapy and us mods discuss everything in a private subforum. As I mentioned above, most temp bans are dealt with by a single mod, but we discuss permanent bans before any action is taken.[/QUOTE]You're one of how many moderators on this forum? That's great that you explain why you banned someone, not all of you do. The way that you all keep things so hidden from us is why we're having this discussion in the first place. At least in the real world you have the right to know what law you broke, here it's closer to being thrown in prison with no explanation. It is appreciated that you're willing to post in here, however.

edit- Oh look, Spokker is trolling this thread as well.

[quote name='Clak']At least in the real world you have the right to know what law you broke, here it's closer to being thrown in prison with no explanation.[/QUOTE]

Right, because getting temp banned from a Video Game forum is the equivalent of being thrown in prison.

[quote name='Trakan']Right, because getting temp banned from a Video Game forum is the equivalent of being thrown in prison.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:This post has so much win :applause:

I havent been following this thread, but I just wanted to chime in that the thread I created discussing mods deleting a lot of threads lately got deleted lol

this post will self destruct in 3..2..1

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back