Poached a Gamestop Trade-In

gabolous

CAGiversary!
Hello fellow CAGer's. I was at a gamestop today picking up Assassin's Creed for the vita and a mom came in to trade her sons Nintendo DSI and game. I am in the process of checking out when I noticed a box of under $5 games, I ask to take a look at them and I step to the side for the next customer. The lady behind me says she is trading her sons Ds.
The clerk examines it and says she gets the bonus system trade credit promotion, then says well their are some scratches and I have to charge a refurb fee of $12, then goes on to say that he will give her $12.xx for it. Judging by her reaction she wasn't having it. Didn't even check the game price, I politely lean over and say, "I'll give you $30", and smile. I told her I just had to get to an ATM to pull out the cash. She says she is going to call her son for the OK. I finish my transaction and she gives me the OK. We run to the bank, I give her the cash and I get the all black dsi with Pokemon Soul silver!

Just wanted to share my blessing and see if any of my fellows have had the same fortune

Nice pickup, the game is worth $30 alone.

Plus you helped a Mom who got some cash instead of getting raped by GS.

Win-win. :D

I used to do this when I worked for the company long ago. I picked up many rare games for more than our company was willing to give, but within reason for less than we'd resell it for. Customer was happy, I was happy and as long as I clocked out the company couldn't do shit. Well, maybe if it was ever reported but everyone at the store was cool about it and often did the same.

I miss that crew. :(

Did this once when a friend of mine showed up while I was there. Got Pikmin, Magna Carta LE, SSBM, and several other Ps2/GC games all complete for $3-$5 apiece.

[quote name='Jodou']I used to do this when I worked for the company long ago. I picked up many rare games for more than our company was willing to give, but within reason for less than we'd resell it for. Customer was happy, I was happy and as long as I clocked out the company couldn't do shit. Well, maybe if it was ever reported but everyone at the store was cool about it and often did the same.

I miss that crew. :([/QUOTE]

Wow.... opening a store inside a store... not cool man. :)

i thought about doing this twice in the last couple weeks.. guy had a brand new 360 wireless controller and they gave him $13 for it.. i would have doubled that ish.

second time rhis guy had ME3, Bioshock 2 and 3 other games and they offered him 5 for it.. needless to say the guy was pissed so i didnt bother trying there

I did it once while waiting at the customer service line at best buy. They wouldn't take this guys kinect but he was dying to sell it. apparantly he had 2 & just wanted the money for games. I walked out with a kinect for $10 and this was when they were relativley new.

[quote name='gambit444']I did it once while waiting at the customer service line at best buy. They wouldn't take this guys kinect but he was dying to sell it. apparantly he had 2 & just wanted the money for games. I walked out with a kinect for $10 and this was when they were relativley new.[/QUOTE]

You over-payed :p

I did this about a month ago, but for a Star Wars 360 with 7 games. I posted it in another thread, but long story short: They offered him $170, I told him I'd give him $130 credit (that I just got from flipping games from BBY) + $100 cash for everything. All-in-all, it was realistically costing me ~$150, since that $130 in GS credit originated from a $50 cash investment.

I met him outside the store and walked away with an R2D2 Console + C3PO controller and cables, Halo 4, and 6 other games I can't recall off the top of my head that I traded in at BBY a few days later. It also had a few decent Games on Demand downloads installed too (AC: Brotherhood, Rockband 3 two I can recall off the top of my head)

I haven't been back to the GS yet, because I KNOW I pissed off the manager that was taking that trade.

Happened to me several times already. GS clerk offers a ridiculously low trade-in value to a customer for his gaming system. Customer is visibly insulted by the low-ball TIV and says no deal. I could have easily doubled GS' offer and still make a decent profit at eBay despite the fees, but for some reason I just didn't bother. Mainly because I'm not sure how the GS clerk would take it. I could have chased those customers too as soon as they got out the door, but nah...

[quote name='Chedeng88']Happened to me several times already. GS clerk offers a ridiculously low trade-in value to a customer for his gaming system. Customer is visibly insulted by the low-ball TIV and says no deal. I could have easily doubled GS' offer and still make a decent profit at eBay despite the fees, but for some reason I just didn't bother. Mainly because I'm not sure how the GS clerk would take it. I could have chased those customers too as soon as they got out the door, but nah...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not something I would normally do, but I had actually been looking to get a R2D2 console just the week before. The timing of it was uncanny, so I decided to go for it.

You know I have never had an experience like this. I mean, I guess my timing is bad or the person was trading something in that I had no interest in.

I almost did this about a year ago when I saw a mom trading in ~50 PS2 games that her kid had. I think I overheard that they gave her $25 for all of them. There were some decent titles too. Sadly I was in a hurry and didn't want to deal with possibly pissing anyone off.

Speaking of moms, they are the best sellers to buy video games and consoles from. 99% of the time they are just selling their kids' stuff so they don't really know the used value of it. Plus, it's a bonus if the mom is hot lol j/k.

There was one time, I responded to a Craigslist ad where a mom was selling a rare Zelda Nintendo 3DS console (CIB) for $70. When I got to her home, I noticed that she also had a bunch of 3DS games lying around. I asked about it and she said, "Gamestop was willing to give me $4 for each of these, if you're willing to pay $5 each for it, it's yours.", and we were talking about several Mario 3DS games (New Super Mario 2, Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, Mario Tennis and Paper Mario all complete with case and manuals). It was a no-brainer so I said, "Sure, I'll even pay you $8 for each of them just because you're hot."

Of course, I'm joking about the "hot" part, but she really was. One of my best recent hauls. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold some games over Craigslist a few years back and strangely enough they were all sold to moms buying for their kids. None were hot though.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I've done that a few times too.[/QUOTE]

I would do this, but its extremely rude to the Gamestop employee, and awkward for who ever wants to do the trade in

Used to do this at my college bookstore. Got textbooks cheap and the other student got more than what the bookstore would offer. Win win.

When gamecrazy existed, an employee who was on lunch wanted to buy my street fighter alpha 2 for sega saturn. GC was offering 2.00 and the guy offered 2.50 :roll:

Sold it on ebay for 45.

[quote name='ajh2298']Real question is, was the mom hot and did you try and bang her?[/QUOTE]

No dice, older lady late 40's. Not a chance. And I love my wife: )

I had something like this happen to me around christmas time. Was inside a gamestop buying my daughter a 3ds game for christmas. A lady walked in with a tub with a ps1 and like 30 games. Asked the dude working there if they took them in as a trade in, and they said they don't accept them anymore so she left. After I finished paying for the 3ds game, i went outside and went up to the lady at her car and said "I may be interested in some of the games if you still want to get rid of them".

She said that they were her sons games, and he hasn't played them in a few years and just wanted to get rid of them, so I could go ahead and look at them. Inside was a ps1(which i didn't need) and alot of ps1 games. Most weren't very interesting)alot of sports games) but she did have a few gems like parasite eve 1 and final fantasy 7 black label. Ended up taking out like 7 or 8 games and asked how much she wanted. She said don't worry about it, and merry christmas. I said the same and walked away with almost 10 ps1 games for free. Nice little score...

I did this with Spyro Eternal Night and A New Begining They offered him $1.98 for both, I gave him $2. and the lady working encouraged him to do it XD

bread's done
Back