Wii Lens Cleaning Kit - is it worth it?

Billytwoshoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Recently I've been playing Xenoblade (when I can squeeze an hour in here and there), and I've noticed that it takes a few cycles of loading / ejecting / repeat to get the game to read. I know that it is a dual-layer disc, though I have other dual-layer games that have read just fine with no problems. I have my Wii sit horizontal, and Xenoblade is in mint condition (no scratches / marks on either side of the disc) in case anyone was wondering.

Once the game reads, it plays fine, no issues, but I have read online that a simple possible fix would be to use the Wii lens cleaning kit, as I could just have a dirty lens (I've had the Wii since 2008) that can't accurately read this dense data game. I haven't seen any other issues in loading other games, so I don't think its the disc motor failing requiring any service.

So basically my question is two fold:

1) Are the lens cleaning kits worth it? I've read online that its kind of hit or miss, but I figure I'd poll the more informed CAG community.

2) Has anyone else had trouble reading Xenoblade, yet no other issues with any other game? Again I've read this on and off through the random intrawebs users, but I'd rather take a poll with CAGs.

Thanks in advance to all who answer!

I tried that, but kept getting disc errors for everything.

Took it apart to try cleaning it that way, but nothing worked.

Ended up replacing the laser.

Was $7 and took about 30 minutes.

bread's done
Back