Gaming laptop <$1000 advice

HornyPony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hi, looking for advice in buying a new gaming laptop. Looking for a 15'' model good screen that I'll be able to take with me to college and run most of my games.

I found 2 laptops that interest me, ASUS N56VM-AB71 and Lenovo Y580

Here are the specs:

ASUS

Max Screen Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Processor 2.3 GHz Core i7-3610QM
RAM 6 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 750 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Graphics Card Ram Size 2048 MB

Lenovo
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 766 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M
Graphics Card Ram Size 2 GB

Lenovo has better insides but Asus appears to have a better screen. Is there significant difference between GTX660M and GT630M? I currently have a GT 545 on my desktop and it suits me fine. So guys, any recommendations?

Best bet, wait it out.

Check your local craigslist, you are bound to spend hundreds less for a 3 month old gaming laptop. Just wait and see what comes up.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']There's a huge difference between those cards. Get the lenovo. That asus will let you down.[/QUOTE]
Reading reviews, looks like the ASUS screen is much better. I think having a quality screen is better than having a shitty screen with a better card. Though a better card sure is tempting...

EDIT: Bah, 660M supports more games. Looks like I''ll need to find that Lenovo in a local Cosco/BestBuy and really check out the screen quality.

[quote name='austin3118']Best bet, wait it out.

Check your local craigslist, you are bound to spend hundreds less for a 3 month old gaming laptop. Just wait and see what comes up.[/QUOTE]

Would much rather buy a new unit, knowing that the graphics card and the HDD are in pristine condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HornyPony']Reading reviews, looks like the ASUS screen is much better. I think having a quality screen is better than having a shitty screen with a better card. Though a better card sure is tempting...

EDIT: Bah, 660M supports more games. Looks like I''ll need to find that Lenovo in a local Cosco/BestBuy and really check out the screen quality.

Would much rather buy a new unit, knowing that the graphics card and the HDD are in pristine condition.[/QUOTE]

Get the Lenovo Y580, no question. There are versions under $1000 that come with the full 1080p screen.

If you don't mind trying Amazon Warehouse, there's a use - like new one right now for $940.xx (it also has blu ray).

Regardless do NOT get anything with something as crappy as that 630.

Here is cheaper and new Acer Aspire with a 650m, so not as good as 660m but still decent for most current games.

Also here is another y580 w/ a small extra 16GB SSD installed for better performance. No blu ray on this one but I'd take the 16GB SSD over that any day.

One more edit: Here is a good one from Lenovos site for $980. Possibly slow shipping from their site though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShockandAww']Get the Lenovo Y580, no question. There are versions under $1000 that come with the full 1080p screen.

If you don't mind trying Amazon Warehouse, there's a use - like new one right now for $940.xx (it also has blu ray).

Regardless do NOT get anything with something as crappy as that 630.

Here is cheaper and new Acer Aspire with a 650m, so not as good as 660m but still decent for most current games.

Also here is another y580 w/ a small extra 16GB SSD installed for better performance. No blu ray on this one but I'd take the 16GB SSD over that any day.

One more edit: Here is a good one from Lenovos site for $980. Possibly slow shipping from their site though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the newegg link! Same Y580 as the Amazon version but with an SSD, this is great. Plus, I don't have to pay taxes for newegg. Gonna pick it up by the end of the day, thanks again.

Yeah man, the screen thing is completely wrong... A 1080p screen means nothing if the games you're playing look like shit. The GPU is THE MOST IMPORTANT component in the build of a gaming computer.

bread's done
Back