The "Dear God, Take-Two, No More Yukes" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior thread

Neocisco, I intentionally sandbagged the last thread with an awful thread title. It went several posts without any takers and I decided to rile the sensitivities regarding the thread's title. For funsies. Nice to see folks were on top of it this time around.

Next time I catch the opportunity to start the wrestling thread: "Razor Ramon HG Wrestling Thread! Fuu!!" You're all warned.

While it's not quite up there with the N64 games (can someone tell me how the AI in those games was damn near perfect and they haven't been able to match it since?) WWE 13 is easily the best wrestling game I've played this generation.

I got a Wii U yesterday, and today I was messing around with the Youtube app. I happened to stumble upon the full 1997 Rumble match. I sat down with my lunch to watch it, and holy crap, it was bad.

Crush and Ahmed were the first two in, and they did some of the most awkward, uh, grappling I've ever seen. Then Faarooq comes out of the tunnel, so obviously Johnson did the most logical thing and jumped over the top rope to chase him. After that, "Razor Ramon", P.I.G., Austin, and Bart Gunn were out. Bart tried some sort of Fame-asser I guess on Austin and it was just bad. It's at the 9:40 mark in the video. I gave up not long after that. The Vince, JR, and Lawler announce team is also a lot worse than I remember them being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzIJxtHyKFY

[quote name='HydroX']Thank fucking God. The last 20+ have been absolutely BRUTAL to sit through.[/QUOTE]

...And yet you kept watching them? Did they force you? Tell us who hurt you.

[quote name='HydroX']Thank fucking God. The last 20+ have been absolutely BRUTAL to sit through.[/QUOTE]

I will concede that the quality got worse over time, but it was still a fun 5 minute distraction every Sunday. I'll miss PuppetH.

bookt.jpg

However if they want a game out by the end of the year they are going to have to turn to Yukes

[quote name='pitfallharry219']...And yet you kept watching them? Did they force you? Tell us who hurt you.[/QUOTE]

It's one of those cases where you hope they get better, or return to form. Kind of like how you and I sit here and still bitch about wrestling being absolutely shit... but hey, we both still watch the stuff.

Booker looks amazing in the TNA picture. Maybe I should've grabbed that game when it was on clearance everywhere a couple years ago.

[quote name='Halo05']Booker looks amazing in the TNA picture. Maybe I should've grabbed that game when it was on clearance everywhere a couple years ago.[/QUOTE]
It's actually pretty good once you finally get into the groove.

The story mode was pretty interesting and strange.

Well another thing is notice WWE has allowed WWE '12 and WWE '13 to be glitch fest shit. They know something's really wrong there and they just don't care.

Hell look at No Mercy and WCW/nWo Revenge which I played some of recently. Those are great and even WCW Nitro was better. Hell WCW Nitro pc had -online play- even. Amazing for it's time for a wrestling game. But WCW Nitro and I think Thunder too had that badly broken trick to where you could drain a whole lifebar in seconds. It was something like hold up + circle to get them stuck in a test of strength grapple and drain there life to nothing.

[quote name='Erad30']While it's not quite up there with the N64 games (can someone tell me how the AI in those games was damn near perfect and they haven't been able to match it since?) WWE 13 is easily the best wrestling game I've played this generation.[/QUOTE]

Ain't saying much when you consider how Yuke's set the bar down at the ankles. I really did try to like WWE 13, but shit, that game is terrible. All of the Yuke's games play like the old In Your House games—but without the novel, lavish attacks.

I'm in the "new engine or I ain't playing" crowd for the next generation of WWE games. The Day of Reckoning games were the last good WWE games. They can do better.

Did anyone watch ROH last night?

Charlie Haas is awesome, and Silas Young stood out in his match like whoa.

I'm only really interested in the Rumble itself tonight. The other matches aren't really bringing me in. Of course the rumble could be terrible like last years. You guys still do a chat for the PPVs?

Haven't really read spoilers on surprise entrants other than
Shelton Benjamin and Carlito
, but my predictions:

Team Hell No
Alberto Del Rio
The Rock
Rumble surprise returns = Mark Henry, Christian, Evan Bourne (wishful thinking), Faarooq/Ron Simmons.. man, are there any former stars still in shape? DDP would be a great surprise entrant.. I'd love some off the wall ones.

[quote name='Erad30']While it's not quite up there with the N64 games (can someone tell me how the AI in those games was damn near perfect and they haven't been able to match it since?) WWE 13 is easily the best Sports-Entertainment game I've played this generation.[/QUOTE]Fixed.
:lol:

The title of Best Wrestling Game of the Generation goes to Rumble Roses XX. Why? *Cough*Candy Cane*Cough* Because Yukes didn't fuck it up (too badly). And because it has this under-appreciated gem of an entrance theme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6qmCvxorg

Those guitar solos give me goosebumps.

-----

Royal Rumble Predictions:
WHC - Alberto Del Rio
Tag Team - Rhodes Scholars
WWE - CM Punk
Royal Rumble - Dolph Ziggler

Even though Ziggler and Cena are the favorites to win the Rumble, I'm personally rooting for Daniel Bryan. Ever since his WM loss, he's been consistently good at whatever was thrown at him.

That botch by Miz from the top rope really messed him up... I wonder if he actually is legit injured. But Cesaro really delivered for the opener. Though he should be on the actual show, the way he wrestles is good enough to draw in some middle-of-the-road customers.

Wonder if they'll give Ryback 12 or more eliminations to break Kane's record.

God damn there is a lot of time wasting between matches. The Rumble being now doesn't bode well for Punk's chances. Would be nice to be surprised.

EDIT - HOLY SHIT #2

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kind of bullshit to be honest. I don't ever remember the Rumble match not being the final match of the Royal Rumble PPV. Making Dwayne's match the headliner and changing up a set format is more ego stroke than that asshole deserves.

He probably won't last a long time, but this was nice after seeing the other leaked names.

[quote name='Spyder187']This is kind of bullshit to be honest. I don't ever remember the Rumble match not being the final match of the Royal Rumble PPV.[/QUOTE]

It has happened before. Can't remember which off the top of my head, but at least once or twice it has happened.

[quote name='KaneRobot']He probably won't last a long time, but this was nice after seeing the other leaked names.

It has happened before. Can't remember which off the top of my head, but at least once or twice it has happened.[/QUOTE]
2006 was the most recent. It also happened in 1988, 1996, 1997, 1998.

What's with all these fake quotes from past Rumble entrance? "You know Bret Hart/Harley Race/Jim Duggan/Jake Roberts once said about the Rumble..." fucking stupid.

Never paid much attention to him before, but Titus seems like a dude that could eventually be really popular as a good guy.

Still don't like the 90 second gap Rumble matches.

Well, Barrett's Tweet is slightly more interesting now. Annoyed it wasn't actually Papa Shango though.

::Cena's music hits::
JBL: And there's no one on their feet here.
JBL: ...uh, I mean no one sitting down.

Really surprised Jericho has lasted this long - makes me think he may actually be coming back rather than just having a one nighter.

Lotta late money on Rock. I would call a fix, but neither guy is Russian. Rock has power in his right but poor TDD. Punk has a good chin and I can't see Rock winning ITD. Play the Rock by UD prop line if you think Rock wins. Humor the Punk by SUB prop line. Punk has good wrestling and Rock has shown a tendency to give up position in his guard.

Looks like most of those "leaked names" were inaccurate. Fine with me, though.

Ryder with a near-TAKA level face bump out of the ring there.

From the people left out there currently, figure it'll be a Cena win. Then a Rock win against Punk. Rock/Cena rematch at Mania. Yay crap.

Cena doesn't need to win the Rumble to face Rock at Mania since it was booked right after last year's match. I'm hoping for Ziggler.

Edit: And now whoever wins, we all lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back