Path of Exile

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
PoE just went open Beta. Anyone else playing?

[youtube]NDFO4E5OKSE[/youtube]​

DOWNLOAD FOR FREE

Here are some useful websites for newbies:

POE Forums
The official POE forums have lots of good info. Theres build examples and shops.

Passive Skill Tree
Interactive skill tree. Lets you plan out your build without being in game. You should spend a bit of time here before you spend too many skill points.

Orb exchange rates
This give an approximate value for the different Orbs. You can use this to ballpark what an orb will trade for.

Gem exchange rates
This is a new site that gives the approximate value for the different gems. It includes gem quality which helps a lot for determining value.

Vendor Recipe list
Includes all the known vendor recipes. Recipes are sets of items that you can sell to the vendor to receive certain items. Example: One item with a Red, Green and Blue socket all linked together gives a Chromatic Orb.

POE Wiki
Good source of all kinds of info. Go hear if you need more detailed info.

Last edited by a moderator:
i preordered it a long while back and played closed beta for awhile. its a great game and one of the many reasons why i never really got into diablo 3. its just so much better... and free!

the cutthroat leagues are amazing and really capture that diablo 2 open pvp vibe.
to me this game is everything these style of arpgs should be. the only thing "odd" about it is the monetary system. just imagine if SoJ's were the ingame currency by default. there is no money.

The lack of a currency system really confused me at first. I'm like "What...? I need identify scrolls to buy a bow?"

I'm enjoying the game so far though.

Yep been in since closed BETA, love it, honestly I donated $20 to the developer because Diablo III left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm going to give it a try again with friends if they can ever choose a fucking name. I was bored to tears solo, but then again most games with multiplayer focus make me bored to tears if I'm playing by myself.

I jumped in right at the end of the closed beta. The game has proven to be much more enjoyable than D3 ever was IMO.

My only complaint is that I wish that the passive skill tree was a little more generous with the respec points to encourage testing different builds.

[quote name='Thrinn']I jumped in right at the end of the closed beta. The game has proven to be much more enjoyable than D3 ever was IMO.

My only complaint is that I wish that the passive skill tree was a little more generous with the respec points to encourage testing different builds.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm gonna be totally screwed later, because I havent planned my build really at all. I'm playing a Ranger and am using Lightning Arrows + Fork, so I'm just going around the skill tree picking anything with dex or elemental damage. I can already tell I'm gonna have to dip into some mana skills just so I can keep firing.

I played it like a year ago and kind of hated it. Started playing again recently with a bunch of friends and I'm having fun. I really wish they'd put like names over friends or something though, as rolling with a full group things can get pretty hectic. I really cant wait for some Cut Throat leagues to open.

Got to act 3 last night. My buddy and I beat the act 2 boss pretty much entirely because it aggro'ed me at the start, and never stopped. So I was basically just burning health pots the whole time while he was free to beat on the boss.

Looks like I made an account at some time, but forgot about doing so. I'm downloading now to play after work.

[quote name='Waughoo']Got to act 3 last night. My buddy and I beat the act 2 boss pretty much entirely because it aggro'ed me at the start, and never stopped. So I was basically just burning health pots the whole time while he was free to beat on the boss.[/QUOTE]

Act 3 is SO full of cheese.

That's the one thing that still bothers me about the game. Their idea of challenging is just throwing a fuckload of shit at you and having it rape your health instantly. I start all of my characters on Hardcore because there is no reason not to since when you die that character just goes to Default, but I couldn't even imagine fighting the shit I did in Act 3 on Hardcore.

Fun game, but the cheese factor is a bit nauseating at times.

I still refuse to do hardcore characters in games which are so server dependent. I get enough random disconnections which sometimes have a bit of rollback so I'm not going to risk it in hardcore. (although I LOVE how your characters just go softie once they bite it)

I started one of each class figuring that I'd hate the Ranger most of all but it's my favorite class next to Witch. I always like it when some game makes you enjoy playing as a class-type that you generally gravitate away from. *thumbsup*

[quote name='SEH']Act 3 is SO full of cheese.

That's the one thing that still bothers me about the game. Their idea of challenging is just throwing a fuckload of shit at you and having it rape your health instantly. I start all of my characters on Hardcore because there is no reason not to since when you die that character just goes to Default, but I couldn't even imagine fighting the shit I did in Act 3 on Hardcore.

Fun game, but the cheese factor is a bit nauseating at times.[/QUOTE]

The end of Act 2 was getting a little annoying with the constant totems that make allies invincible. If a big group happened to come near one, you basically either had to dive in and pray you kill the totem or you have to draw them away from it and kill them. I was playing solo and had some big group of those poison throwing automation things around a totem. If I got close enough to hit the totem my health would practically disappear. I tried to lure them away, but they would not come out of the buff's range. I finally ended up running in, tossing Arrow Rain on the totem, then running out until it died.

I'd normally be ok with the extra strategy involved, but it was like there was one of those totems in every other room.

I never have any idea how much an item is worth in this game. I had a lot of rare items I had just been tossing in storage, so yesterday I tried to sell them. I had like one taker the whole time, and he just traded me even up for a gem.

Meanwhile everyone is trying to sell their stuff for what seems like too much imo. A guy was selling a Life on Hit gem, level 1 normal quality. He was asking 3 Alchemy Orbs and 3 Chaos. Then later I see a guy selling a Unique item that honestly didnt have very good stats, but wanted a Gem Cutter's Prism. I've never even seen a Gem Cutter's Prism.

The vendors need their payouts changed. I had a full stack of Identify Scrolls plus about 7 portals I wanted to get rid of. I put them all in the vendor, and his offer was 7 Identify Scrolls and a Scroll Fragment. Thats like me saying "Hey, I have $100, what can I buy for that?" and them saying "Oh, I'll give you $7.10 for that"

Here is an image that breaks down the various forms of currency and their worth in the game. This seems to be what most people on the POE forums and D2JSP go by.

83i8DDZ.png

So, I'm going to go ahead and say that "The Ledge" has to have an increased drop rate on various orbs. Just did some grinding there for about an hour and got the following:

8x Armourers Scraps
9x Orbs of Alteration
3x Chaos Orbs
7x Blacksmiths Whetstones
6x Orbs of Augmentation
4x Orbs of Transmutation
3x Chromatic Orbs
1x Orb of Alchemy
2x Glassblowers Baubles
1x Orb of Regret
1x Orb of Chance

Also got probably a dozen or so rares and six levels from that zone. I'm about capped as far as XP goes in that zone, but I think I may just continue grinding there for orbs.

Does anyone know if you purchase extra and premium stash tabs, if they apply to both your HC and Normal stash? It'd be kind of lame if you had to chose one or the other.

[quote name='SEH']Does anyone know if you purchase extra and premium stash tabs, if they apply to both your HC and Normal stash? It'd be kind of lame if you had to chose one or the other.[/QUOTE]

They apply to both.

Well, I finally found a Unique item. It was a ring, which was a terrible item for my Ranger but great for my friend's Marauder. Then my other friend found a unique belt, which was bad for his Templar but great for the Marauder. Then our other friend found another unique, also only good for the Marauder. :(

Beat act 3, and started into Cruel difficulty solo. Yeah, no thanks on that. I'll wait till my friends catch up, cause I've been about to level up 3 times and then died, losing a bunch of XP.

Instead I started a Witch. Played a few hours tonight and got to like level 8. Usually with any kind of a mage in these games I find a skill I like and build the entire character around it. But so far there isnt any one Witch skill I really like. Right now I'm just building her around Ice spells, because I usually lean towards Electric spells and wanted to try something different. Also the early Electric skill (Spark) sucks so I didnt want to use it, and Fireball takes too long to fire.

[quote name='Waughoo']Beat act 3, and started into Cruel difficulty solo. Yeah, no thanks on that. I'll wait till my friends catch up, cause I've been about to level up 3 times and then died, losing a bunch of XP.

Instead I started a Witch. Played a few hours tonight and got to like level 8. Usually with any kind of a mage in these games I find a skill I like and build the entire character around it. But so far there isnt any one Witch skill I really like. Right now I'm just building her around Ice spells, because I usually lean towards Electric spells and wanted to try something different. Also the early Electric skill (Spark) sucks so I didnt want to use it, and Fireball takes too long to fire.[/QUOTE]

I tend to like to play summoners after Diablo II's Necromancer. So I have been building her for that. I'm not sure how I like it. I think this is the game Diablo 3 should have been, but I'm just not sure how I'm liking the game. The summoning isn't bad other than skeletons. I don't like that they only last 20 seconds and that in order to use all the summons I have to make sure I have gear that can have the gems in it.

Summoning zombies can get a bit tricky with an ice build as ice tends to obliterate corpses.

I started with a shock witch build but the AOE spell is not fun.(weird deadzone but you can lessen it) I just got an Arc gem drop on my ranger so I'll revisit shock on my witch but, as SEH said, Ice Nova is awesome and it has been my go-to right-click for many levels now since I shifted from shock to frost on my witch.

edit: Just gave Arc a whirl and it's rad.

I have Ice Nova, and looking at the DPS on it early makes it look kinda crappy. But using it tells a different story. I was going to use Ice Spear at distance, follow that with Freezing Pulse for medium-close range, and use Ice Nova only when surrounded. Now I kinda just Ice Spear till they are close and then Ice Nova till everything is dead.

Arc is the only good lightning damage spell. The AOE one is beyond retarded, what with them having to be on the perimeter of it to take damage. On my level 30 witch I literally only run Ice Nova and Arc (well, and Clarity). There really isn't much need for anything else.

Got Asenath's Mark off a creature in the Mud Flats last night :)

We're up to the Ship Graveyard in Cruel. Theres a decent sized jump in difficulty between Normal and Cruel. I'm barely staying alive as everything can kill me in like 2 hits. Time to start dropping more skill points into health I guess.

Just died in HC in Act 3. Level 34 and I get 2-shot by some $$$$$$ mob with arc. Every time I've died in HC (which is three level 30+ chars now, including this one) its been because of some lame ass cheese 1-2 shotting me. Ugh. The worst part is I was a ranger this time and they weren't even on my fucking screen.

EDIT

And now...my HC 31 Witch that I've just been farming on is randomly dead. I've just been doing dumb, safe farm runs and I know for a fact I've never died, yet somehow the character has been moved to the Default league. Awesome.

I started looking at some builds for my Ranger and it looks like noone actually uses most of the Ranger's skill tree. They always loop around the bottom of the grid all the way over to the left side. Silly me, I've been putting all my points into the Dexterity nodes and bow skills.

I don't ever look at builds because you can literally play all the characters however you want. You could make a Marauder use a bow, you could make a Witch become a tank, you can do anything. I like that a lot about the game, but I also dislike it at the same time. It leads to a lot of experimentation, but it also allows for some really, really dumb builds (that sound a lot better in your head) that can't be reworked later on.

It makes me wish there was some kind of option to do a full-on re-spec at various levels. Let me re-spec my character at like levels 50 and 100 or something. I don't want to have to start a new character if something winds up not working out at like level 60. There's just a bit too much finality within the skill tree.

Thats the whole reason I look at builds. I dont like that I'm gonna put 100+ hours into a character only to find out when I get to higher levels I'm gonna get owned. At least with my Witch I got a basic idea of how I wanna play her early, so I can spend points with a bit of confidence. My Ranger though, he's like lvl 46 and most of the guides I've looked at completely ignore the entire Ranger side of the skill grid.

So, I found an "Albino Rhoa Feather" today while playing. It has no desciption, only that you can stack them up to ten times. So, I went to Google. There is no definitive answer as to what they do. There is some crap about fishing, but that appears to have been debunked. Alpha testers say they know but aren't allowed to say as it violates some NDA they have, and others say if you combine three full stacks along with a specific map, you get a giant Rhoa boss who is guaranteed to drop amazing gear.

I got in contact with one of the alpha testers and he was certainly willing to spend quite a bit for it. At first he offered an Alchemy, I said no, then he went to Chaos, then he went to a GCP, then he went all the way to an Exalted Orb. He seemed to want it badly and got kind of angry when I kept turning him down, saying that "You'll likely never get to find out what it does".

I'm super intrigued as I'm still pretty clueless as to what this thing actually does. I'm definitely going to hang onto it though incase it does do something awesome. Anyone here have some insight into this thing?

No, never even heard of it. Where did you find it and from what enemy? And whats your item rarity/find at?

[quote name='Waughoo']No, never even heard of it. Where did you find it and from what enemy? And whats your item rarity/find at?[/QUOTE]

It dropped off an Albino Rhoa in the Mud Flats. I'd imagine it'll always drop off that enemy, but its apparently a pain to get to spawn. I don't have any increased rare find or quantity drop.

Ok. Yeah I did a little poking around, and it looks like thats the only place they drop. I'm guessing you are on Hardcore?

I was trying to farm The Cave last night, as its supposed to be a good place. Apparently theres a good chance of a large chest to spawn there and it'll usually have a couple orbs. I did like 5 runs, and never saw a chest. Although I had one run that had a really large number of rare enemies. I died on that run, and the instance on The Fields had run out. I tried to get back the The Cave but there was a crazy number of enemies there for some reason. By the time I got back to the cave it was too late.

On the bright side I did find a OK amount of orbs and my first GCP

Best farm locations:

Act 1 - The Ledge
Act 2 - Church Dungeon
Act 2 - Dead Thicket
Act 3 - The Docks

I do those in that order and it works really well. Dread Thicket also has the highest chance of any zone in the game to spawn a large chest.

My friend is having some bad luck. First off he was stupid and used most of his good Orbs he's found so far, including trading his one GCP he's found for some gear (he was like lvl 30 at the time, so he got lvl 30 gear). He also spent a crap ton of orbs trying to get sockets/links perfect on something. So then he was about out of orbs. Now nothing good drops for him. He rarely even gets scrolls to drop. Last night he finally got his first stack of portal scrolls, and he's at level 50.

Last night the best orbs he got were ones that dropped for me that I let him have. He did get a unique 2-hand sword to drop though. I had decent drops on orbs, and even got a divine orb :)

I do feel like when running with a group, or even just one other person, the game tends to heavily favor someone. The one night we were running a 5-man ledge group and only one friend of ours was getting drops. He got like five Orbs of Alchemy while the rest of us got portal and ID scrolls. It always does that when we group.

So confused by this game at times. Just died on my Templar to that General Greviouciousoisus whatever the fuck his name is. Prior to that I was able to tank and spank everything. I had a ton of HP, maxed out resists, and a bunch of Armor and Energy Shield. Nothing could touch me and I killed everything super fast. I go to fight him, get shield charged by one of his little minions, then he makes fire rain onto me and I immediately die.

The damage doesn't make any sense. I don't get how things go so well and then one guy just instantly is able to kill me before I can even get an attack off.

It sucks to because I was having a bunch of fun with that Templar. I was tanky (or was up until that point) and was actually able to output damage. Guess it's back to my 53 Duelist who is tanky as fuck but does zero damage and has to rely on a group.

[quote name='SEH']I do feel like when running with a group, or even just one other person, the game tends to heavily favor someone. The one night we were running a 5-man ledge group and only one friend of ours was getting drops. He got like five Orbs of Alchemy while the rest of us got portal and ID scrolls. It always does that when we group.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was totally the lucky one last night. I got The Peregrine to drop, with like 28% Magic Find on it. Then for awhile all the rares that dropped were for me. I think all the Gems that dropped were for me. At one point Chain dropped for me and I didnt see it. One of the other guys picked it up and said they wasnt giving it back (he'd been trying to get Chain for awhile now). He did give it back, but I thought it over and decided he could have it. My Ranger doesnt need it, and my Witch is still too low level to use it for awhile. As far as Orbs, I got about 50% of those while one guy got 40% and the other guy got 10%.

bread's done
Back