Metal Gear Rising Demo Impressions/Game Discussion

Abear21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I played this late last night and thought it was pretty cool, but had a hell of a time with the camera, especially when doing the slow mo slicing.

Has anyone else played it and had similar issues? I actually went into options and changed the camera inversion but it didn't help. I was looking forward to this game and thought about buying it, but as of now the controls and camera are broken if u ask me.

its pretty fun. i also had a bit of an issue with the camera. im just going to wait for a price drop since ill be pretty busy with my backlog and school.

It was about as bad as I thought it was going to be. I originally wanted to like it but as soon as I saw some more demos I saw it was nothing special. The demo confirmed this and I canceled my $45 preorder from Newegg. The fruit ninja stuff gets old real quickly.

I Enjoyed it, camera was a bit wonky here and there, but it wasn't anything game breaking. Only thing I was really annoyed by was parrying, which I felt would've been better if there was a designated button for it as opposed to left stick+light attack. That and it made me realize how overly accustomed I am to a roll button in games that games without one just feel...kinda dated. I'll get it on the cheap like I had originally planned, but was about what I expected.

[quote name='musha666']It was about as bad as I thought it was going to be. I originally wanted to like it but as soon as I saw some more demos I saw it was nothing special. The demo confirmed this and I canceled my $45 preorder from Newegg. The fruit ninja stuff gets old real quickly.[/QUOTE]

what exactly didnt you like? i thought that that was one of the best demos i ever played.

fucking camera. Otherwise liked it...not enough to get it until it's 20-30 bucks though.

Feels weird to only have MGS middle chapters + a side MGS story + Metal Gear 1 & 2 on the 360, then having this come out. Jumping around in the story necaise not every chapter is available is not something I'm a fan of.

some people i heard that complained about the camera didnt know you can lock on with L2. im guessin you did already though. the camera only messed up like hell with my back was to a wall though, otherwise it was fine for me.

[quote name='SHINOBI_3']some people i heard that complained about the camera didnt know you can lock on with L2. im guessin you did already though. the camera only messed up like hell with my back was to a wall though, otherwise it was fine for me.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I actually didn't know about locking the camera.

I actually thought the demo was badass, but the camera issue detracted from the whole thing.

It is interesting to me that part of the charm of Japanese titles is that there is a difficulty curve and that everything isn't dumbed down. Part of the adventure and mystery of gaming is figuring it out on your own and perhaps struggling until you stumble upon the right way to do things...I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I thought the game was horrific and cancelled my pre-order. It's Metal Gear, I was expecting to be blown away and now the game feels like a God of War type slasher clone. I thought the left stick blade control was wonky also. I have a decent enough backlog to not buy this game full price.

[quote name='tukai']I thought the game was horrific and cancelled my pre-order. It's Metal Gear, I was expecting to be blown away and now the game feels like a God of War type slasher clone. I thought the left stick blade control was wonky also. I have a decent enough backlog to not buy this game full price.[/QUOTE]
Wow, troll post.

Didn't like the demo at all. Camera is terrible especially when fighting the gekkos. There is stealth in the game but they left out the ability to crouch or climb ledges?! Anyone want a hack n slasher should just wait for God of War Ascension.

I thought it was so so but not terrible. I'm going to cancel my preorder and wait for around 20$ range. If people are pissed about the changes to DMC I can't wait to see the reaction to this one.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Wow, troll post.[/QUOTE]

How is that a troll post? I have never done such a thing. I really disliked the game. I had really high hopes and pre-ordered the CE and guide ahead of time. It just didn't blow me away like a MG game should. How is a troll post?

[quote name='tukai']I thought the game was horrific and cancelled my pre-order. It's Metal Gear, I was expecting to be blown away and now the game feels like a God of War type slasher clone. I thought the left stick blade control was wonky also. I have a decent enough backlog to not buy this game full price.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it being Metal Gear to me is a reason to not expect to be blown away. I was looking forward to this, because I had hoped it would tone down the awful, overly drawn out story and focus on the action (which has always been of good quality). But it is too close to God of War and for pure action, and that will be better.

For the life of me, I have never gotten why people think the Metal Gear story line is so good. I enjoyed the first one in Solid (and from back in the NES days), even the gaps in reality. But with two it went down into the toilet, got slightly better with three, then plumbed new depths with four. Sometimes I think people confuse plot twists and complexity with good writing. Ocelot has a grafted on arm controlling him, really? Snake swallowed his smokes and they came back out fine since they subdued his stomach acid? That whole virtual reality thing? At times I think when Kojima hits writer's block, he just makes weird crap up to get around it. It all seems very fan-fiction. Not too far from Lucas on the Star Wars prequels or the Wachowskis on the Matrix sequels.

[quote name='KingBroly']On the intro beach, you can get stuck by destroying the steps.

I don't know if that's awesome or stupid.[/QUOTE]
You merely press RT/R2 and ninja run up a wall to get out.

[quote name='defpally']Honestly, it being Metal Gear to me is a reason to not expect to be blown away. I was looking forward to this, because I had hoped it would tone down the awful, overly drawn out story and focus on the action (which has always been of good quality). But it is too close to God of War and for pure action, and that will be better.

For the life of me, I have never gotten why people think the Metal Gear story line is so good. I enjoyed the first one in Solid (and from back in the NES days), even the gaps in reality. But with two it went down into the toilet, got slightly better with three, then plumbed new depths with four. Sometimes I think people confuse plot twists and complexity with good writing. Ocelot has a grafted on arm controlling him, really? Snake swallowed his smokes and they came back out fine since they subdued his stomach acid? That whole virtual reality thing? At times I think when Kojima hits writer's block, he just makes weird crap up to get around it. It all seems very fan-fiction. Not too far from Lucas on the Star Wars prequels or the Wachowskis on the Matrix sequels.[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. I feel the same way about the series now. MGS1 was interesting. I liked the essence of MGS3 a lot — especially the ending —, but not the goofy, immersion killing theatrics that some characters displayed. Portable Ops had a good storyline which was also the most tame.

MGS4 just went way too far for me. Couldn't enjoy it and it ruined the series for me. MGS2 I can hardly remember aside from the laughable scenes near the end and the cool intro.

[quote name='ID2006']You're not alone. I feel the same way about the series now. MGS1 was interesting. I liked the essence of MGS3 a lot — especially the ending —, but not the goofy, immersion killing theatrics that some characters displayed. Portable Ops had a good storyline which was also the most tame.

MGS4 just went way too far for me. Couldn't enjoy it and it ruined the series for me. MGS2 I can hardly remember aside from the laughable scenes near the end and the cool intro.[/QUOTE]

You know, the times I've shared that opinion in the past elsewhere, I usually get jumped by the fanboys who scream "But, but you just don't UNDERSTAND it!11!!!". I understand it just fine, it's just stupid. But, more recently, it seems people are actually allowing themselves to admit how bad the story is in the games and the flaws. I guess the longer it goes since the last game, and other games come out it becomes easier see the problems. Or maybe the fact that they are doing this spin off has cracked the armor.

As someone who's never been a fan of the series, this was a game I wrote off entirely. Then I played the demo and put it at the very top of my GF GameQ. It was outstanding, IMO.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Wow, troll post.[/QUOTE]

He's not trolling. He's 100% correct. The game IMHO is a failure to the series. I own all the games and I am a huge Metal Gear fan. I also have liked Raiden since MGS2 (unlike most ppl) But jeez...this game just seems bad. Probably because it's not being completely made by Kojima Studios

I will add the best thing in the entire demo was the kitty!! :3 XD

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bardockkun']You merely press RT/R2 and ninja run up a wall to get out.[/QUOTE]

Wow. It was sure nice of the demo to teach me that. :roll:

[quote name='KingBroly']Wow. It was sure nice of the demo to teach me that. :roll:[/QUOTE]

xSYSjax.jpg

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']He's not trolling. He's 100% correct. The game IMHO is a failure to the series. I own all the games and I am a huge Metal Gear fan. I also have liked Raiden since MGS2 (unlike most ppl) But jeez...this game just seems bad. Probably because it's not being completely made by Kojima Studios

I will add the best thing in the entire demo was the kitty!! :3 XD[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's a disgrace to the Metal Gear name.

Plus they're ruining Raiden. He was normal in MGS2 then MGS4 made him emo and now somehow he's even more emo in this.

I'll take DmC and the new Dante over this garbage thank you very much.

[quote name='whoknows']I agree. It's a disgrace to the Metal Gear name.

Plus they're ruining Raiden. He was normal in MGS2 then MGS4 made him emo and now somehow he's even more emo in this.

I'll take DmC and the new Dante over this garbage thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

The action sequences are also so over the top its annoying. Remember the trailer where he THROWS Metal Gear Ray? It's idiotic! Remember how tough it was to beat all 25 of them in MGS2 but now apparently they are inferior to him :lol:

Also interesting article by Kotaku this morning in relation to the game: http://kotaku.com/5980442/the-full-...-quite-different-from-the-demos?post=56849707 I want to give this game a chance...but it has everything going against it for me personally

I'll pick it up when it's $15 or less.. it reminds me a lot of Shinobi on PS2.. which is not good because it's a Metal Gear game, but whatever.

Also, when you cut things into more than 150 pieces, the game slows to a crawl

[quote name='distgfx']Finally, a good Metal Gear game.[/QUOTE]
I agree finally a good metal gear game. Since its spinoff metal gear solid every game has been good.
[quote name='hankmecrankme']
xSYSjax.jpg
[/QUOTE]
lol

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']The action sequences are also so over the top its annoying. Remember the trailer where he THROWS Metal Gear Ray? It's idiotic! Remember how tough it was to beat all 25 of them in MGS2 but now apparently they are inferior to him :lol:
[/QUOTE]
To be fair he was a normal human in MGS 2 now hes a cyborg ninja. Its too bad grey fox's cyborg ninja suit wasn't as good. :cry:

[quote name='distgfx']Finally, a good Metal Gear game.[/QUOTE]

Lol what do you mean finally? Metal Gear has been great for over 2 decades (at least until now imo lol)

This game continues Metal Gear games being good, actually. Just because it's not the same TEA we're used to drinking doesn't make it bad. I love the crazy over the top action and welcome the sequels that will no doubt spawn from it.

This game is pure SEX! Platinum Games is the best developer of ALL TIME! ALL TIME! How can anyone dislike this game? Do you dislike FUN?! :D

[quote name='CaptainJoel']This game continues Metal Gear games being good, actually. Just because it's not the same TEA we're used to drinking doesn't make it bad. I love the crazy over the top action and welcome the sequels that will no doubt spawn from it.[/QUOTE]

I can see why Metal Gear fans aren't fond of this game. It requires using the controller for more than directing the player from one 30 minute cutscene to the next. Interaction is confusing :D

Seriously though, they are trying something new. It isn't a replacement for the main games, nor where they are heading with 5. They chose Platinum for a reason, this offshoot game style is right up their alley. Even in the original reveal videos you could tell this was going to be fast action focused.

Played the demo and was disappointed. Who wants to play as Raiden, let alone in a hack and slash? I never finished MGS2 because of having to play as Raiden. I don't care if he has a cyborg dong now, Raiden still sucks.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Seriously just pre-ordered at GS solely for the Gray Fox skin. Couldn't let it slip by, I don't even care.[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna miss out on that skin. I'm buying through amazon :(

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Lol what do you mean finally? Metal Gear has been great for over 2 decades (at least until now imo lol)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'll repeat it and elaborate a bit more.

Finally, a good Metal Gear game, because every other entry in the series sucks.

[quote name='distgfx']Sorry, I'll repeat it and elaborate a bit more.

Finally, a good Metal Gear game, because every other entry in the series sucks.[/QUOTE]

Now THIS is a troll post. Well done :lol::applause:

[quote name='IanKazimer']Seriously just pre-ordered at GS solely for the Gray Fox skin. Couldn't let it slip by, I don't even care.[/QUOTE]

One of the best things about this game is that skin. I'm gonna regret not getting it :/

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan an I wasn't looking forward to this at all until I played the demo and it won me over. Now I'm incredibly excited for it. Since mid-Summer I've played MG, MG 2, MGS, MGS 2, MGS 3 and I'm finishing up MGS 4. I'll be able to roll right into MGR:R. I didn't plan it out since I didn't realize MGR:R was coming out so soon, but it worked out nicely.

I love the Raiden design and how it wasn't a typical Metal Gear, but kept me in the Metal Gear universe.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Seriously just pre-ordered at GS solely for the Gray Fox skin. Couldn't let it slip by, I don't even care.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is offering a $20 coupon along with the white Raiden skin and I was tempted to go that route. I ended up pre-ordering the LE pre-order at Gamestop. I couldn't pass up the Gray Fox skin and the other bonuses of the Fox blade and art book are nice too. My girlfriend thinks the lamp is pretty good so she is buying the LE as a late birthday gift.

I still have a LE pre-order at Zavvi so I can get the white Raiden figure. They were canceling orders for non-UK customers, but I seem to have survived. Hopefully they don't cancel between now and release date.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea gamestop was doing an artbook I'm just gonna preorder this shit through gamestop then and no its not too late you'll have better luck getting the artbook through online depending on how shitty your gamestop is

[quote name='defpally']I can see why Metal Gear fans aren't fond of this game. It requires using the controller for more than directing the player from one 30 minute cutscene to the next. Interaction is confusing :D
[/QUOTE]

Lmaoooooo :applause:

The demo takes some time to get used to as its the first action game I played n a long time with no roll. And I didn't understand how to block until that last battle.

The camera for some reason is inverted normally, but n ninja slice whatever the hell it's called mode it's normal. When u switch the controls to inverted then it does the opposite.

I like the game, but I rolled my eyes when Raiden went into his whole I'm the reaper speech. Guess this game is gonna be cut scene heavy as well with psycho babble. But being an action fan I'm just glad I get 3 non shooter, 3rd person action games (DMC, GOW:A) in the first 3 months, since if I remember correctly all we got was that terrible AC3 last year.

If you got a Uniqlo nearby, they will have some MGS:R clothes starting 2/18. I've already seen themed thermal underwear in their clearance bins (XL only) at SF store.

GS doing the artbook is news to me too. Tha's a nice surprise.

I had actually planned on using Gamefly for this one until I saw that Gray Fox skin. I'm not exaggerating when I say that's what made me pull the trigger to buy it, haha. Raiden's other color options are neat, but I don't like his new design nearly enough to be swayed by them. Being able to stylishly murder everything on the planet while decked out as Gray Fox is responding to a great need I've had since 1998.

bread's done
Back