3DS: Skylanders Giants - Portal Owners Pack - $29.99 @ Target

kman316

CAGiversary!
I had been interested in getting this, but always felt $75 for the full edition and $59.99 for the Portal Owners Pack were a rip off considering I already owned the first Skylanders for the 3DS.

I didn't see this in their ad and was surprised, but Target has the Portal Owners Pack for $29.99.

The POP comes with just the game and the Tree Rex Giant.

Not sure if this deal is a YMMV, but thought I'd pass it on.

I didn't even think they put out Giants on the 3DS. I have never seen it in store and Amazon has some funky listings, like "loose portal and game" and 'loose game' all at jacked up prices and not official photos..something is definitely strange here..did it not come out at launch and simply releasing now?? Maybe Target is breaking some kind of street date like they did recently with Bioshock URE..

I can't remember what color the tag was (sorry). All I know is that I saw it and it was $29.99 and I was shocked, grabbed the box and found the nearest price scanner to confirm. It wasn't on a clearance end cap either, was sitting in right underneath the Skylanders main display with the other versions of the game.

The 3DS version comes in 2 SKU's:

one full with the portal, game and 2 normal skylanders and 1 giant.
The second just being the pack with the giant and game

These have been out since the other versions of Giants was released.

I was recently at my target and saw that all the portal owners packs were $30 with temp price cut. Hmm I should buy them all and sell! jk. but I'll get pics asap

[quote name='kman316']These have been out since the other versions of Giants was released.[/QUOTE]

crazy man, I believe you, guess I made myself filter it out b/c no way was I going all the way down the same road as last year. Picking it up for console and 3DS again. Plus, my kid never got into the 3DS version b/c of the different style game play, said it was too hard..wonder if Giants is the same formula or different on there..

[quote name='token2k6']crazy man, I believe you, guess I made myself filter it out b/c no way was I going all the way down the same road as last year. Picking it up for console and 3DS again. Plus, my kid never got into the 3DS version b/c of the different style game play, said it was too hard..wonder if Giants is the same formula or different on there..[/QUOTE]

Giants on the 3DS is a different developer this year. It feels more like regular skylanders. There's still jumping and some platforming, but it's not as difficult as the previous version. I don't have it yet, I've just played a friend's copy.

I need to just grab a copy of the cartridge. I've got the rest!

[quote name='token2k6']crazy man, I believe you, guess I made myself filter it out b/c no way was I going all the way down the same road as last year. Picking it up for console and 3DS again. Plus, my kid never got into the 3DS version b/c of the different style game play, said it was too hard..wonder if Giants is the same formula or different on there..[/QUOTE]

The 3DS game is very similar to the first one, but they made a few very good improvements. The levels are much longer and more varied/wide open, they have a few bosses here and there and they got rid of the timed "Bad Guy is Chasing You" stuff. You do have speed runs (I think) for challenges, but it is just to beat some flat time instead of the old "pick up the clocks or die". Also the new game is based on the same universe, with Flynn and the rest of the characters instead of some other group of beings that aren't even mentioned in the main game. Leveling characters is also a bit slower. The game isn't quite as hard either - but there are some tough jumps.

On the bad side, the frame rate is worse, I recommend not using the 3d effect to make it smoother. Also, some figures really aren't made for this type of game, including the pack in Pop Fizz. He has a minimum range/slow throwing thing that really stinks to use on most of the mobs that like to run in close, and his transform doesn't last long at all and you take damage while transforming. Pop Fizz works much better on the console where you can play 2 player and keep range.

Damn, just bought the 360 Portal Owners pack for $30 from Target, wasn't going to bother with Giants but this seemed like a decent deal.

I can confirm the $30 portal owners packs at more than one Target, so probably not YMMV. Also saw the original Skylanders Spyro's Adventure starter packs were $40 where they were still in stock, but YMMV on what they have. Seems hit & miss as they look to be just clearing them out.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Anyone know if you can use the normal Xbox 360 portal with the 3DS version in some form? I'm guessing no, but worth asking.[/QUOTE]

Nope, none of them are compatible. 360 uses USB, PS3 is Bluetooth, and 3DS uses the IR sensor on the system.

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']Nope, none of them are compatible. 360 uses USB, PS3 is Bluetooth, and 3DS uses the IR sensor on the system.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I've got two for the 360 but nada for the 3DS.

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']Nope, none of them are compatible. 360 uses USB, PS3 is Bluetooth, and 3DS uses the IR sensor on the system.[/QUOTE]

No longer true. All new portals are interchangeable as they are all wired (USB).
Of course, with the exception of the 3DS since that one works via the IR port.

Bought the Portal Owner's pack for the 360 today at Target for $30. It was not on the shelf but a helpful employee checked and they had one in stock in the back. He told me the price was because all the PO Pack skews have been listed as 'discontinued'.

Also the Spyro's Adventures starter packs are still on shelf and on sale for $40.

So much misinformation regarding the portals...

Okay - the 3DS portal from both games (SSA and SG) will work on the 3DS, PS3, Wii U and Wii. The SSA bundle for the 3DS comes with a mini-USB cable that you can connect to any of those three consoles (or the PC). The Giants 3DS pack does not come with the USB cable, but it just uses a regular mini USB cable. You might have trouble fitting two figures and a magic piece on this portal though...

The Wii and PS3 portals from both SSA and SG are interchangeable between both games on either system. The portals that were included with SSA were both wireless, but they'll still work with Giants. The Wii U portal will also work on either of these two systems, with either game (and the portals from the other systems will work with the Wii U and Giants). Any of these portals will work on the PC.

The 360 portal is the odd man out - it's the only one I'm not 100% sure on, but I don't think you can use the other portals on the 360 and I don't think you can use the 360 portals on the other systems - but you can use them on the PC.

I bought mine yesterday (1/28) and prices were still valid. If I get back I'll snap a pic but I didn't read the date on it. Again the employee who helped me said they were marked 'discontinued' in their system and said this store at least wouldn't be restocking.

Can you also grab the sku number for this please? Not showing up on Target's website. Would like to know if it's in stock or not before driving to target tonight.

Awesome find and thanks for posting!

I may have to check this out. I picked up Skylanders for the 3DS last year at a goo dprice and was very surprised how solid it was, asmy fiancee and I love the PS3 version. Too bad I lost the cartridge in my cross-country move. I've been thinking of picking up the 3DS Giants version.

[quote name='bamf226']Is the 360 portal owner pack still $30? I don't recall seeing a thread about it earlier.[/QUOTE]

It was last night when I bought it :)

I saw the portal owners packs on sale over the weekend as well while I was out of town. They were out of the Xbox 360 one though, and since it isn't in their paper or on the website, I couldn't pricematch it anywhere else. At the time, they also had buy 2 skylander figures, get one 50% off and the full Giants starter pack was marked down by $10 I think.

I really wanted that portal owner pack, but came home empty handed.

The SSA 360 portal will NOT work with any of the other systems. Tried it and it does not work. Not sure about the Giants version though. I would guess not.

[quote name='spamfree2']The SSA 360 portal will NOT work with any of the other systems. Tried it and it does not work. Not sure about the Giants version though. I would guess not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this was the only one I wasn't 100% sure of. I've heard there's something with the way the USB communication is set up that Microsoft requires it to be proprietary (although they allow it to work on the PC as well).

For anyone looking for this at their local Target, check the toy section as well, noticed yesterday there were a few more packs in Toys as well as Electronics.

Looked around Target and saw the 360 version of Skylander giants for $30 but didn't see any 3DS versions. Kinda getting interested in this skylanders thing. Since I dont have the portal should I just go for the first game or just get the starter pack for giants?

[quote name='DtotheP']On SD they posted pics of signage saying it was a temporary price cut until 1/26. Is this price still valid?[/QUOTE]

According to the shelf price marker I saw the sale is good until 2/2.

bread's done
Back