Tales of Xillia(PS3) up for pre-order at Gamestop

these msrp threads are getting old. i know, just don't read it if i don't care. how many msrp threads are on the first two pages though on our 'deals' site?

No more local co-op = no buy at full price for me :(
And perhaps we can have a master thread for all MSRP preorders. Or do we already have one?

Edit: keep reading the thread, co op features are...complicated...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shadowkast']these msrp threads are getting old. i know, just don't read it if i don't care. how many msrp threads are on the first two pages though on our 'deals' site?[/QUOTE]

src_1339335247814.jpg

As soon as I read this, I thought, "I wonder how long it will be until some wet blanket comes in and complains about this being the deal thread." Turns out, just two replies. I, for one, appreciated the heads up.

If it weren't for some MSRP topics, a lot of people may have missed out on some collector's and limited editions. It's not technically a deal, but if you miss out, you'll have to pay out the ass somewhere else for it, so in that regard it saves you money.

This isn't a CE, but it's good to know they are taking pre-orders, and details for potential alternate editions may start to trickle in soon.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']If it weren't for some MSRP topics, a lot of people may have missed out on some collector's and limited editions. It's not technically a deal, but if you miss out, you'll have to pay out the ass somewhere else for it, so in that regard it saves you money.

This isn't a CE, but it's good to know they are taking pre-orders, and details for potential alternate editions may start to trickle in soon.[/QUOTE]
Is this going to be a collector's edition?

I think I am done with Gamestop for good after last week. I picked up my ni no kuni preorder from them on Tuesday and had the sales guy try to keep my steelbook until I finally reminded him it came with that steelbook that was right next to the game when he pulled it out of the drawer then he informed me for an extra $3 they would guarantee my game in the event it didn't work when I got home. So now we have to pay an insurance fee so that they will stand behind the product they sell? Forget that.

[quote name='TooPoor']No more local co-op = no buy at full price for me :(
And perhaps we can have a master thread for all MSRP preorders. Or do we already have one?[/QUOTE]

Wha? No more local co-op in Tales? Lame.

[quote name='bshirk']Wha? No more local co-op in Tales? Lame.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, due to the link-arte or whatever it's called, at least that what I heard last time.

I had so much fun experiencing Graces together with the Mrs. Disappointed.

[quote name='ohscaryone']I think I am done with Gamestop for good after last week. I picked up my ni no kuni preorder from them on Tuesday and had the sales guy try to keep my steelbook until I finally reminded him it came with that steelbook that was right next to the game when he pulled it out of the drawer then he informed me for an extra $3 they would guarantee my game in the event it didn't work when I got home. So now we have to pay an insurance fee so that they will stand behind the product they sell? Forget that.[/QUOTE]
Of course you need insurance, gamestop is selling you their used games as new!

Due to Ni No Kuni I don't see myself picking this up right away unless they offer something truly awesome; like a steel book case or something. Otherwise I'm gonna have to wait for a price drop

[quote name='TooPoor']Yeah, due to the link-arte or whatever it's called, at least that what I heard last time.

I had so much fun experiencing Graces together with the Mrs. Disappointed.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame. I haven't known anyone who's wanted to play local Tales since Symphonia so it doesn't really impact me, but it was still nice to have a multiplayer option in a RPG.

A note to all Tales fan. NB said that they looking at Xillia sales to see whether they should continue publishing the series outside of Japan. So if this one doesn't sell well it could mean the end of the Tales series in NA/EU.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']A note to all Tales fan. NB said that they looking at Xillia sales to see whether they should continue publishing the series outside of Japan. So if this one doesn't sell well it could mean the end of the Tales series in NA/EU.[/QUOTE]

The same thing was said about Xillia. If Tales of Graces didn't sell well, Xillia would not be released in the US. Now we are getting Xillia and I am sure this will outsell Graces so we have nothing to worry about.

[quote name='biggie2123']The same thing was said about Xillia. If Tales of Graces didn't sell well, Xillia would not be released in the US. Now we are getting Xillia and I am sure this will outsell Graces so we have nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I'm not paying full price for this thing unless it's got some kind of super rare special edition. The last game I payed full price for was Xenoblade Chronicles and that's only because I had to. Prior to that...well it had been years.

There IS co-op, just that whoever the link partner is becomes auto-controlled. So it would be easiest to do just 2 player and have each person link with the other two computer controlled party members, or don't use links in 4 player.

[quote name='ohscaryone']I think I am done with Gamestop for good after last week. I picked up my ni no kuni preorder from them on Tuesday and had the sales guy try to keep my steelbook until I finally reminded him it came with that steelbook that was right next to the game when he pulled it out of the drawer then he informed me for an extra $3 they would guarantee my game in the event it didn't work when I got home. So now we have to pay an insurance fee so that they will stand behind the product they sell? Forget that.[/QUOTE]
in the past 3-4 years i think ive purchased 2 games in an actual gamestop and both times it took about 20 minutes filled with tons of bullshit. only time i still buy is on the website and thats only for exclusive ce's or a physical preorder bonus. even then they fuck me. the last 2 games i got from them didnt come with the bonuses and i had to email to get them shipped to me.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']There IS co-op, just that whoever the link partner is becomes auto-controlled. So it would be easiest to do just 2 player and have each person link with the other two computer controlled party members, or don't use links in 4 player.[/QUOTE]
Okay I haven't imported the game so I'm confused. So there IS local co-op (except when link is activated or whatnot)? Very much like Graces? TIA.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']A note to all Tales fan. NB said that they looking at Xillia sales to see whether they should continue publishing the series outside of Japan. So if this one doesn't sell well it could mean the end of the Tales series in NA/EU.[/QUOTE]

Where did you read that?

I'm definitely getting it. I'd hate to see the series go away again. We already missed too many entries.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Where did you read that?[/QUOTE]

Statement that NB released. I didn't know but it seems like they said that before with Grace F from what Biggy said. Their reasoning with saying that this time they will see how much they sell is because with Grace F they didn't advertise enough so that was expected.

Either way Xillia will sell more because it already has good reviews from Japan and it is a new game than just a port. I'm not sure they actually mean it but I hope not because that would mean one less Jrpg in an already sparse genre.

Am I the only one who read this and thought, "Namco also said they were watching the sales of Ni No Kuni to see whether to release a sequel. Seeing all the chaos of Ni No Kuni, perhaps they should spend less time watching sales numbers and more time watching their order forecasting?"

Sure fingers could be pointed at Digital River, but I guess I am left to wonder if you see all these preorders come in how could you be that far out of line with your order fulfillment?

I think I'll stick to waiting for a price drop like I did with Graces. A sweet preorder bonus will absolutely shatter my stance though.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']If it weren't for some MSRP topics, a lot of people may have missed out on some collector's and limited editions. It's not technically a deal, but if you miss out, you'll have to pay out the ass somewhere else for it, so in that regard it saves you money.

This isn't a CE, but it's good to know they are taking pre-orders, and details for potential alternate editions may start to trickle in soon.[/QUOTE]

CEs, LEs, etc and things that are running out of stock, like Xenoblade recently, I get. But an MSRP pre-order for a vanilla copy is not a deal.

I'm kinda torn here. I passed on getting Graces f at launch because it didn't seem all that interesting (and I'm glad I did) and honestly, some parts of the series is becoming a bit too cookie cutter for my tastes. Of course, it ended up working out nicely because of the European CE so I bought that instead-- same price, but with some nice extras.

Xillia doesn't interest me much either but man oh man, I really wanna see Xillia 2 released here. Xillia 2 looks like leaps and bounds better than any tales game released this gen.

Decisions, decisions...:whistle2:k

[quote name='knightsdwn']I think I'll stick to waiting for a price drop like I did with Graces. A sweet preorder bonus will absolutely shatter my stance though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm feeling atm

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']A note to all Tales fan. NB said that they looking at Xillia sales to see whether they should continue publishing the series outside of Japan. So if this one doesn't sell well it could mean the end of the Tales series in NA/EU.[/QUOTE]It's a catch 22 because xillia is a buggy, unfinished, lazy piece of crap. One of the worst tales games in recent memory. Xillia 2 is basically the game xillia should have been, and reuses a ton of xillia 1's areas even. It's basically as if xillia was a beta version with a different story. But unfortunately if xillia doesn't sell well here then xillia 2 doesn't come over.

And perhaps we can have a master thread for all MSRP preorders. Or do we already have one?[/QUOTE]

Where'd you hear it doesn't have local co-op? It has just as much co-op as any other Tales game has, it just functions a bit oddly due to the link system (as in, it works better to link to a CPU than a player). But if you're just playing with one other person, nothing's stopping you from each linking to a CPU and being fine.

[quote name='exaznkid']quietly hoping they have a exclusive offer like a steel book or something[/QUOTE]

They probably won't, but I'm sure Gamestop will have exclusive pre-order costumes (Jude!Cress and Milla!Stahn) again.

[quote name='excellen']It's a catch 22 because xillia is a buggy, unfinished, lazy piece of crap. One of the worst tales games in recent memory. Xillia 2 is basically the game xillia should have been, and reuses a ton of xillia 1's areas even. It's basically as if xillia was a beta version with a different story. But unfortunately if xillia doesn't sell well here then xillia 2 doesn't come over.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I love Xillia. I can't think of anything buggy off the top of my head, and it's finished just fine. Just because they rush the bonus dungeon and don't include as many side quests as most Tales games doesn't mean it's unfinished. And of course Xillia 2 feels like "the game Xillia should have been". It reuses like 90% of its areas from Xillia 1. You can count on one hand the number of new zones, basically. And as nice as Xillia 2 is in some ways, it's horrible in others. I currently rank Xillia as my #2 Tales game, behind only Vesperia PS3, with Xillia 2 as my #3.

Long story short, opinions. Everyone has them.

[quote name='GDB']Where'd you hear it doesn't have local co-op? It has just as much co-op as any other Tales game has, it just functions a bit oddly due to the link system (as in, it works better to link to a CPU than a player). But if you're just playing with one other person, nothing's stopping you from each linking to a CPU and being fine.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, I forgot where I read it, but it was a post summing up the shortcoming of the game. Perhaps the poster didn't get his facts straight. Usually I resort to Cooptimus but they don't have this game in their database yet.

So from what I understand now is that it still works with 2 local players, which is all I need. Thanks again for providing some clarification, google results regarding this issue is mostly "question posts" with no "official" answer.

WHAT?! No local Co-op? That's like making a *bow* shooter and calling it a zelda game! (oh yeah they did that already....) I was really looking forward to this one... It gets a pass from me too. :(

EDIT: Ok good, it looks like everything will be fine after all... I should have kept reading the thread but reading that sent me into panic mode.

[quote name='mbrown3']As soon as I read this, I thought, "I wonder how long it will be until some wet blanket comes in and complains about this being the deal thread." Turns out, just two replies. I, for one, appreciated the heads up.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused: why would you call people "wet blankets" because they try to adhere to and maintain a set of pre-defined forum guidelines? Sorry if following the rules cramps your mojo, Fonzie.

What part of the title "Video Game Deals" is so difficult for people to understand? If you're coming to the CAG "Video Game Deals" forum to find out about MSRP pre-orders, then you're doing it wrong--there's plenty of other places to go for this info., including several on CAG.

[quote name='AwRy108']I'm confused: why would you call people "wet blankets" because they try to adhere to and maintain a set of pre-defined forum guidelines? Sorry if following the rules cramps your mojo, Fonzie.

What part of the title "Video Game Deals" is so difficult for people to understand? If you're coming to the CAG "Video Game Deals" forum to find out about MSRP pre-orders, then you're doing it wrong--there's plenty of other places to go for this info., including several on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Because this thread isn't bothering anyone, and it's quite helpful. Why does this forum have to be defined so narrowly. I appreciate getting a heads up about this kind of thing, as it has to do with sales for video games that I might be interested in. What's the big deal? Just don't read those threads.

Here is the post which I got the source of no local coop
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=38425126
It's in the post summing up the shortcomings of the game and why he is not buying xillia 2. This thread is the top three results when you google tales of xillia local co op.
Glad CAGs debunked my concern. Sorry again for causing confusions.

Sounds like someone's being pressured to sell product replacement plans. Offering it for PS3, Vita, DS, or WiiU games is stupid to do, but it's helpful for people buying 360, Wii, or PS2 games for those that don't treat games properly.

That associate shouldn't word it like that though and needs some coaching. Should say in case you scratch or crack the game disc. Also sucks they tried to keep the Steelbook from you. File a complaint with the info at the bottom of the receipt if you want to get him in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MulderYuffie']Hope we get a CE sure hope it's Namco Store Exclusive too. Digital River is so great.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Who wouldn't want it to be another exclusive?

On a side note, I haven't played a Tales game since one that was on GBA. Have they changed much, battle system-wise?

I hope the CE only has very limited copies and they announce a date and time on their Facebook page for when it will go live. This way everything will be neat, organized, and go incredibly smoothly.

[quote name='outerfox']I know, right? Who wouldn't want it to be another exclusive?

On a side note, I haven't played a Tales game since one that was on GBA. Have they changed much, battle system-wise?[/QUOTE]

I found the GBA one unplayable personally, which was after only playing Symphonia.

Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia are all similar and all very good, each adds their own slight changes to battles. Graces is the only one I've played that changes up the formula, which is also pretty good.

How the hell do you play a story-based RPG like this online? No local co-op is moronic, that was always the biggest draw for me with the tales games, next to the great story.

bread's done
Back