* * * * * 1 votes

2013 MLB Discussion

#991 pitfallharry219   Salty milk & pennies CAGiversary!   12301 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

pitfallharry219

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

You're a Nationals fan, a franchise that has won 4 playoff games since 1969.

To further expound on this, EVERY MLB team other than the Nationals has won at least 4 playoff games in a single season, while the Nationals franchise has managed 4 wins in nearly a half century. So, yes, go ahead and talk shit about playoff failure.

pitfall_harry219.png

#992 NinjaPenguin777   LEO CAGiversary!   5826 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Peter Gammons trashed the Trop not because he's a Red Sox homer. He trashed the Trop because it's a dump. An ugly dump that requires unique rules and plays on Home Depot carpet.

Even when it was built everybody thought it was a dump. Hence why it sat unused for a decade and why the Rays want a new stadium ASAP.

I'm not saying the Trop is a great stadium. It isn't, but what exactly makes it a "dump"? I love when people throw that word at the Trop. Yea it's not a great stadium and it has its quirks, but it is comfortable and its not falling apart or anything.  Gammons is a Red Sox homer. Fenway is sh*ttier than the Trop. The only reason people don't call it out is because it's "historical". The stupid a** green monster makes so many outs into hits. The stadium has seats that don't even face the field properly. The clubhouses are awful. It smells like piss.

The catwalks at the Trop hardly ever come into play. Being an Orioles fan you should know that if you actually watch any games when they play in the Trop. The only reason the catwalks get so much attention is because during the playoffs you get one or two balls that hit the catwalks and people freak. Also the announcers think it is so hard to figure out the catwalk rules so they talk about it every 10 minutes when they aren't sucking off the Red Soxs. Trashing the Trop is just a worn out joke. The only people that don't think Fenway is a piece of sh*t are people in Massachusetts. 

In your opinion why is the Trop a dump? I'd love to know. Have you ever actually been there or are you calling it a dump because it's fun to jump on the trash the Rays stadium bandwagon?

Formerly known as slickkill77

#993 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

It's not how balls play or anything that has to do with the Trop being a dump. Just looking it at you can see that it is a dump. I went to a game there about 3 years ago and it was by far the worst Major League stadium I have ever been. And I went to several games at Dolphin Stadium. I'd say Oakland's stadium is worse. Both teams need new stadiums ASAP.

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#994 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6882 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

It's a dump because it's ugly as sin, uses carpet for grass (though I will admit they spruced for the better carpet than what they had 3-4 years ago), sounds like a high school gym most of the time, and it's, again, ugly as sin. Everything is darkened, the outfield is boring, and it has no skyline to view. The best thing about the stadium are the manta ray tanks, and you can't see them during normal play. Fenway is by no means the best ever (though better than Wrigley), but it's miles ahead of the Trop. Hell, even O.co is better, and that's saying something. I loathe it whenever the Orioles (or ESPN) travel down there because I can never truly enjoy the broadcast even if the Orioles win big. At least the Metrodome used Daylight bulbs instead of Soft White.

#995 NinjaPenguin777   LEO CAGiversary!   5826 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

You could say that about any domed stadium really. It looks ugly. That doesn't make it a "dump". It is pretty funny whenever I go to Rays games and talk to people there. Rays fans love the stadium. How exactly is Fenway miles ahead of the Trop? Every reason you gave for it being a dump was basically it is a dome. You can't really do much with a dome to make it look nice. You can't really grow grass in a dome. You can't show a skyline in a dome unless you have a fairly new one and it has a retractable roof. Why does it sound like a high school gym? You don't like the cowbells I take it?

Admit it. You can't enjoy an Orioles broadcast down there because the Rays are usually beating them. 

Formerly known as slickkill77

#996 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6882 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Domes without retractable roofs are inherently awful. But, guess what? Most of them are long gone. The Twins jumped ship to Target Field and those fans love it. Tampa is the last one left. There's a reason for that. And Tropicana Field is one of the worst ever. Hence why it was laughed off when it was first built and only used because it was convienent. You think the Rays would rather play in that crap hole than someplace like PNC, Pac Bell, Camden, Busch, etc.? Fuck no. Even the players hate it.

Almost forgot, but the bullpens are in play as well. I despise it when the bullpens are not separated from the field of play. It's the only blemish on the otherwise-amazing Pac Bell Park.

Nobody likes Tropicana Field. At best, they tolerate it.

Stop pretending that anyone who dislikes the Trop is a Rays hater. People dislike the Trop because it's fucking horrible. There is a reason EVERYBODY ranks the stadium as the worst baseball stadium and one of the worst overall.

#997 CaseyRyback   Your New Nightmare! Super Moderators   24112 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

CaseyRyback

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

A retractable roof in Tampa is a waste of money. When the thing was built it always rained in the afternoon.

#998 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Biases aside, there is not one sane person that would rank the Trop in the top 20, probably top 25, of Major League Ballparks. It's just not cosmetically appealing to any baseball fan, no matter where you're from. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the Rays at all. 

Posted Image

#999 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2747 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Game of Thrones
PS3

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Uehara giving up a postseason home run. Who saw that coming?

I can't even watch this Braves game. I'm tired of seeing that fat-faced bitch Carl Crawford going deep. I hope Fredi Gonzalez is job hunting this time next week.

It was a great pitch, Lobaton just hit it out. Happens

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#1000 tonyv4   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2304 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hoping the A's can pull off the win on Thursday but I'm not optimistic since they haven't had great success against Verlander. Game 4 should have been won and they blew it so if they lose game 5, I think they'll look back to game 4. My guess is Melvin might go with Sonny Gray for game 5 instead of Colon.

#1001 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

Boston is an a really great position right now. Koji was fantastic. I miss him :(

Posted Image

#1002 FloodyFloats   Cagtastic CAGiversary!   401 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

FloodyFloats

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

I'm going with Dodgers vs Pirates and Boston vs A's.

#1003 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2747 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Game of Thrones
PS3

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Boston is an a really great position right now. Koji was fantastic. I miss him :(

32 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 41 K in the second half. Unreal. 0.26 ERA, 0.32 WHIP, 39% K, 1.0% BB

ThroneofSeth.png

#1004 pitfallharry219   Salty milk & pennies CAGiversary!   12301 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

pitfallharry219

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Uehara's career playoff stats: 5.1 IP, 4 HR

pitfall_harry219.png

#1005 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

To be fair, those playoff stats are a bit skewed. Koji was awful in 2011 and shouldn't have even been on the roster against Tampa Bay and Wash used him in situations that he didn't need to be used in. But in 2012, something changed and that ultimately lead to where he is now. And to think that this dude only had aspirations of being a teacher before he decided to come play in America.

Posted Image

#1006 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   12478 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

So what's with all the Cardinals hate on Twitter today?

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#1007 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6882 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Because people really, really wanted the Pirates in the World Series.

#1008 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2747 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Game of Thrones
PS3

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Because people really, really wanted the Pirates in the World Series.

I didn't! I want Gerrit Cole to be affordable in fantasy drafts next year.

Same reason why I hope the A's are bounced tonight. Sonny Gray is another of my favorites.

I am a terrible person and scourge of the baseball realm.

ThroneofSeth.png

#1009 tonyv4   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2304 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:36 AM

Well the A's are out. I'm starting to get tired of all of the ALDS exits whenever they reach the playoffs. Regarding the final teams remaining, I'll probably be skipping out on watching the WS again this year like I did last year.None of the potential match ups intrigue me enough to keep my attention and to keep me watching mlb. Time for some Golden Gate basketball!

#1010 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

Of all the teams left, I think Boston and Los Angeles could have a really good World Series.

Posted Image

#1011 AngryDragon888   9 Toes 3 Balls CAGiversary!   175 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

AngryDragon888

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thank you Carlos Beltran!!....and for everyone crying that Molina didn't tag Ellis they need to just calm down.  You could have a 100 different umpires call that play and 101 of them would have called him out.

431048.png?51606429

#1012 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

-sees a no hit bid-

-sees Benoit pitching-

this wont last long

-base hit-

#1013 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2747 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Game of Thrones
PS3

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

-sees a no hit bid-

-sees Benoit pitching-

this wont last long

-base hit-

Benoit isn't Uehara, Kimbrel, Jansen, Holland, or Chapman,  but he's certainly well above average. He's been pretty good the last four seasons.

ThroneofSeth.png

#1014 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

Bases loaded against big papi

-here comes benoit-

-dis gon be gud-

-grand slam , tie game-

#1015 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6882 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

Umpire Wally Bell has passed away at the age of 48.

#1016 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3300 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

Umpire Wally Bell has passed away at the age of 48.

I heard that while listening to the Cardinals games today! 48 is really young and the guy just worked the Cardinals/Pirates series!

I did read that the guy had a history of heart problems, so it's probably not a huge shock, but it's still really sad for his family.

Posted Image

#1017 pitfallharry219   Salty milk & pennies CAGiversary!   12301 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

pitfallharry219

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

I remember how fat umpires used to be. I mean, some of them are still kind of big now, but nowhere near how many fat ones we had in the 90s. Remember Eric Gregg?

pitfall_harry219.png

#1018 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Mlb hire this ump plz.

#1019 CaseyRyback   Your New Nightmare! Super Moderators   24112 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

CaseyRyback

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

Napoli just loves the postseason.

#1020 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

sigh dodgers, oh well another badinals world series.