2013 MLB Discussion

integralsmatic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
138811-650-366.jpg

Pitchers Catchers report in 12 days

yeah I know its the nationals. I just plucked the first picture I saw.

[quote name='vrs1650']We'll see how the Nationals hold up if they lose Gio for 9 to 10 starts.[/QUOTE]

If they lose him at all. As far as I know, this essentially means nothing unless they force said players to take a drug test.

That being said, I believe the Nationals are the best team going into the season, but who knows if that will last.

[quote name='GhostShark']If they lose him at all. As far as I know, this essentially means nothing unless they force said players to take a drug test.

That being said, I believe the Nationals are the best team going into the season, but who knows if that will last.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure if they know you possessed them they can suspend them. Rick Ankiel got popped that way at least that what mlb network said.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Pretty sure if they know you possessed them they can suspend them. Rick Ankiel got popped that way at least that what mlb network said.[/QUOTE]

Upon reading the policy on wikipedia (take that for what it is), reasonable cause is needed for a drug test, but tests can only be done during the season. So, going by that, I think it is safe to say that these players will probably be tested at some point.

I don't understand the sudden Braves bandwagon. Sure, they acquired Upton but also gave up Prado in the process. Both players have identical 3.9 WAR average from last three years of play. Plus, in the last two years, 3B became the scarcest position in baseball (besides C of course) . I can't help but to think that going after Bourn and retaining Prado would have been much better.

Fully expecting 3 teams from the AL West making the play offs. Oakland winning the division and Texas + Anaheim for the wild cards. Seattle and Houston are jokes.

While I don't necessarily disagree with three teams making the playoffs in the AL from West, I find it hard to fathom the A's winning the division. Yes, I know they came out of nowhere last year, but the WAR just doesn't add up. However, it didn't last year, but the division is going to be different this year with the Houston LOLstros.

If they find evidence that they bought PED they can suspend them as well. Happened with a few guys already.

A's and O's will not repeat the performance they put on last year. Way too flukey and lucky. The A's have a better chance than the O's do.

I need baseball to start. Nothing like having a game on almost every day of the week. So great

AL East should be really interesting this year if the O's can play solid again. O's, Sox, Rays, and Yanks battling it out should make for great baseball!

[quote name='HornyPony']I don't understand the sudden Braves bandwagon. Sure, they acquired Upton but also gave up Prado in the process. Both players have identical 3.9 WAR average from last three years of play. Plus, in the last two years, 3B became the scarcest position in baseball (besides C of course) . I can't help but to think that going after Bourn and retaining Prado would have been much better.

Fully expecting 3 teams from the AL West making the play offs. Oakland winning the division and Texas + Anaheim for the wild cards. Seattle and Houston are jokes.[/QUOTE]

They will platoon Johnson and Francisco and if Johnson continues to improve and rake....I dont think 3b will a problem. They are pretty strong every where else. Plus their rotation will carry them far in to the season.

[quote name='GamerDude316']AL East should be really interesting this year if the O's can play solid again. O's, Sox, Rays, and Yanks battling it out should make for great baseball![/QUOTE]

I predict the Blue Jays will be more competitive than the Red Sox. Particularly if their starting rotation can actually stay healthy.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Jays this year. While I don't expect the Sox to really make the playoffs I think after last year it can't get any worse.

Chris Carpenter is likely out for the year, and his career may be over due to his nerve damage in his right arm.
General manager John Mozeliak said Tuesday that Carpenter has renewed numbness and some bruising in his right shoulder and hand. He will get an additional medical evaluation, but Mozeliak says Carpenter is unlikely to pitch again.

I feel like this is at least worth putting in here. I thought about making a thread for it, but you know "celebrity death", "hero worship", blah blah. But yeah, the woman who inspired "A League of Their Own" passed away today. Definitely a great contributor to the sport of baseball. Also interesting to read that she never played for the Rockford Peaches as the film portrays.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...8-inspiration-geena-davis-202821039--mlb.html

Sorry everybody, but with the addition of Torii Hunter and the return of DH Victor Martinez, the Detroit Tigers are destined to win the World Series this year!

No matter what happens, I just can't wait until summer. Sitting in the sun, watching baseball, with a nice cold beer. Good luck to all teams! Go Tigers!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Chris Carpenter is likely out for the year, and his career may be over due to his nerve damage in his right arm.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why the Cardinals don't throw a 1-year offer at Lohse, no one else is beating down his door.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Any opinions on Jed Lowrie? I don't know much about the guy, or if he's worth the good prospects the A's dealt for him.[/QUOTE]

Eh Peacock is projected to be a back of the rotation arm. 4.41 BB/9 and 4.26 FIP are ugly for AAA - the only positive is 9.3 K/9. Stassi is a back up catcher in the making, had potential but injuries brought him down.

The trade is more like Carter + fringe prospects for Lowrie and a bullpen arm. Lowrie will be an ultimate utility man for the A's and Carter will hit homers for Houston.

Any guesses on Bourn's contact? I'll go with the Rangers grabbing him for 3/33m - player opt out options for both years.

[quote name='HornyPony']Any guesses on Bourn's contact? I'll go with the Rangers grabbing him for 3/33m - player opt out options for both years.[/QUOTE]

No thanks, I'd rather save the money and keep the pick. Roll with a Martin/Gentry platoon.

No idea on the years or the dollar amount, but I'll guess Mariners or Mets.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Any opinions on Jed Lowrie? I don't know much about the guy, or if he's worth the good prospects the A's dealt for him.[/QUOTE]

I just hope he can stay healthy. I wasn't a big fan of Carter anyways. I see him as inconsistent at times. He can hit HRs sure, but it didn't appear that Oakland had him in their future plans.

Can't wait for this season. I hope Dusty Baker can show some fucking guts as a manager, since the Reds are far too talented to get knocked out in the NLDS again.

And I'm even stoked about 2014 already, too: Billy Hamilton.

This should prove to be an interesting year for Yankees. Lots of guys are coming off injury riddled or subpar seasons. Time will tell.

This is the most optimistic I've been about the Braves for several years. Upgraded the roster with the Uptons and didn't lose anything of note other than Prado (and Chipper retiring).

Heyward and Freeman should keep getting better, as well as the young pitchers.

[quote name='dmaul1114']This is the most optimistic I've been about the Braves for several years. Upgraded the roster with the Uptons and didn't lose anything of note other than Prado (and Chipper retiring).[/QUOTE]

The NL East is going to be entertaining this year for sure.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Todd Helton's mugshot:[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, ouch.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']No Grandy Man and now no Big Tex. I think it is safe to say that this isn't the Yankees year.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...eira-new-york-yankees-8-10-weeks-wrist-injury[/QUOTE]

The Yankees might as well bring back Jason Giambi or Tino Martinez at this point. Hell, bring in Damon now too. If this year is going to suck complete ass, at least make it a love letter to the fans. After letting Russell Martin walk, I already wished that Posada was still here. Might as well get Clemens out there again too, lol. It can't get much worse. I can't believe that Mo and Pettitte are going to waste the last year of their careers on this kind of team. Really sucks.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The Yankees might as well bring back Jason Giambi or Tino Martinez at this point. Hell, bring in Damon now too. If this year is going to suck complete ass, at least make it a love letter to the fans. After letting Russell Martin walk, I already wished that Posada was still here. Might as well get Clemens out there again too, lol. It can't get much worse. I can't believe that Mo and Pettitte are going to waste the last year of their careers on this kind of team. Really sucks.[/QUOTE]

I think Corey Hart would be a good fit. He can field 1B/RF and a 125 wRC+ is alright. Doubt Brewers would want much in return, FA after this year and is owed 10m.

Edit: Ugh Hart is out until April. Guess the only options are giving up the farm for Headley or staying put.

Have a few spots open for a Yahoo Baseball Fantasy League. Fun, head to head with the following stats:

Batters Stat Categories:
Home Runs (HR), Stolen Bases (SB), On-base Percentage (OBP), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories:
Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), Quality Starts (QS)

PM for league # and password.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']If Halladay really only averaged 87 MPH in his most recent start, he's done.[/QUOTE]

Optimism, I have it.

[quote name='tcrash247']Optimism, I have it.[/QUOTE]

If he can get his velocity back up to 92 (what he averaged in 2011) he'll be fine, but on average, spring training velocity is only 0.6 MPH slower than regular season velocity. I just don't see it happening. Shoulder injuries lead to a loss in velocity, so I think the lat issue is still bothering him.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']If he can get his velocity back up to 92 (what he averaged in 2011) he'll be fine, but on average, spring training velocity is only 0.6 MPH slower than regular season velocity. I just don't see it happening. Shoulder injuries lead to a loss in velocity, so I think the lat issue is still bothering him.[/QUOTE]

A 39 year old Mike Mussina won 20 games in the AL BEast in 2008, topping out around 88 mph. It's called "learning how to pitch". 88 can look pretty fast when you throw a changeup at 72. I know it's not popular or sexy...but it can be done.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']If he can get his velocity back up to 92 (what he averaged in 2011) he'll be fine, but on average, spring training velocity is only 0.6 MPH slower than regular season velocity. I just don't see it happening. Shoulder injuries lead to a loss in velocity, so I think the lat issue is still bothering him.[/QUOTE]

Well guys like Tom Glavine and Maddux did very well and threw around 87-92 at max. So I think he still has a chance. And yeah I've been a baseball fan for a while. Just never came to the thread here before. XD

[quote name='n8rockerasu']A 39 year old Mike Mussina won 20 games in the AL BEast in 2008, topping out around 88 mph. It's called "learning how to pitch". 88 can look pretty fast when you throw a changeup at 72. I know it's not popular or sexy...but it can be done.[/QUOTE]

The reason Halladay was so effective was that he had a four seam fastball and two seam fastball that averaged 92-93, and his cutter sat at 91-92. That's three pitches at the same speed, and could be thrown to both sides of the plate with excellent movement in several directions. He can't throw an 88 MPH four seam fastball without getting destroyed, and his 82-84 MPH changeup/splitter isn't nearly as effective with a 5 MPH difference with his fastballs as opposed to an 8-10 MPH difference.

He got hit hard last season and was still hitting 90-91 with his 2 seam and 88-89 with his cutter. There's just no way to positively spin the fact that he's lost another 3-5 MPH off his fastball in one year.

With pitching, it's all about location. If he can locate those pitches on the corners and throw them off his breaking pitches, then he will still be good. You don't have to be in the 90s to be effective if you change speeds and locate properly.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']The reason Halladay was so effective was that he had a four seam fastball and two seam fastball that averaged 92-93, and his cutter sat at 91-92. That's three pitches at the same speed, and could be thrown to both sides of the plate with excellent movement in several directions. He can't throw an 88 MPH four seam fastball without getting destroyed, and his 82-84 MPH changeup/splitter isn't nearly as effective with a 5 MPH difference with his fastballs as opposed to an 8-10 MPH difference.

He got hit hard last season and was still hitting 90-91 with his 2 seam and 88-89 with his cutter. There's just no way to positively spin the fact that he's lost another 3-5 MPH off his fastball in one year.[/QUOTE]

I JUST explained how it could be done. If he slows down his change up (ie. changes his grip), it'll be more than a 5 mph difference...and he'll be fine. I gave you a real world example of someone who did the exact same thing 5 years ago. Mussina also threw a 4 seamer and 2 seamer...with excellent movement...to both sides of the plate. Mussina was TERRIBLE in 2007 (and the beginning of 2008) because he was still trying to pitch the way he always had.

But if the pitcher can recognize his weaknesses and adjust, he can still be successful. If he still tries to ram home what used to work when he was 28, yeah...he's going to have a hard go of it. But you talk about it as though it's some impossible problem.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I JUST explained how it could be done. If he slows down his change up (ie. changes his grip), it'll be more than a 5 mph difference...and he'll be fine. I gave you a real world example of someone who did the exact same thing 5 years ago. Mussina also threw a 4 seamer and 2 seamer...with excellent movement...to both sides of the plate. Mussina was TERRIBLE in 2007 (and the beginning of 2008) because he was still trying to pitch the way he always had.

But if the pitcher can recognize his weaknesses and adjust, he can still be successful. If he still tries to ram home what used to work when he was 28, yeah...he's going to have a hard go of it. But you talk about it as though it's some impossible problem.[/QUOTE]

For every Mike Mussina (his 2008 season was a fluke, I should add. His swinging strike rate was better than only Livan Hernandez's that season. His K/9 should have been at least 1 per 9 lower), there's an Ubaldo Jimenez, Tommy Hanson, Tim Lincecum, and Josh Beckett. If declining velocity were easily overcome for power pitchers, more pitchers would avoid declining performance. So yes, it's nearly an impossible problem, especially when you're down nearly 6 MPH from 2010, as Halladay is.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']For every Mike Mussina (his 2008 season was a fluke, I should add. His swinging strike rate was better than only Livan Hernandez's that season. His K/9 should have been at least 1 per 9 lower), there's an Ubaldo Jimenez, Tommy Hanson, Tim Lincecum, and Josh Beckett. If declining velocity were easily overcome for power pitchers, more pitchers would avoid declining performance. So yes, it's nearly an impossible problem, especially when you're down nearly 6 MPH from 2010, as Halladay is.[/QUOTE]

You realize that strikeouts aren't the only way to get an out right? Go look at Mussina's GB/FB ratio for that year. It was the highest for ground balls he ever had (seeing conflicting numbers for this...but it was at least 1.38). And his location was phenomenal, as his BB/9 was way down (1.4...a career low). I don't know any other way to describe that other than actually learning how to pitch. Your list of pitchers is unimpressive because it's filled with guys who are far too prideful to ever actually recognize that their ability has diminished, and they need to make adjustments (though for Lincecum...we'll see).

If Halladay wants the end of his career to be defined as a former badass who can't blow a ball by a hitter anymore, then yeah...he's going to struggle. But if he can embrace getting inside a hitter's head and watching him freeze on a mid 70s changeup, there's no reason he can't have success. It's up to him. Citing other pitchers who have refused to make the change proves nothing. I'm not saying it's easy...but the reason you don't see it more isn't because it's impossible. It's because most power pitchers are arrogant as hell. You act like there's not a proven history of pitchers throwing with less stuff. Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine have already been brought up as well. It just takes a bit of humility and a willingness to reinvent yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back