- - - - -

Vita - Killzone: Mercenary - Out Now - Vita's New Flagship FPS

#1 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70295 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Killzone: Mercenary is scheduled for a September 17, 2013 release in North America. We also have a brand-new trailer for you to enjoy:

Killzone: Mercenary is a new first-person shooter in the Killzone series, developed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform and powered by the stunning Killzone engine. Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.

When a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family in Pyrrhus goes awry, Danner discovers that the outcome of the war could very well depend on the fate of the Ambassador’s young son. With both sides going to increasingly desperate lengths to get hold of the boy, he begins to wonder whether the price of victory is really worth the paycheck.

Comprised of nine single-player missions — each nearly an hour in length— Killzone: Mercenary delivers a full Killzone experience in a portable package. Completed missions unlock additional replay challenges, with a host of special objectives to accomplish. The game also boasts a full-fledged multiplayer mode with six maps tailored for eight players and three different game types, including the popular Warzone mode.

In keeping with the soldier-for-hire theme, every action in Killzone: Mercenary is rewarded. The better you perform, the higher your payout – not just in the single-player campaign, but also in the multiplayer mode. The wages you collect are deposited into a single bank account, so the money you earn in the campaign missions can also be used to buy gear and weapons for multiplayer matches, and vice versa.

Killzone: Mercenary makes full use of PlayStation Vita’s considerable input and graphics capabilities. It enhances the familiar dual-stick FPS control scheme with touch controls for actions such as brutal melee, and with tilt controls for accurate sniper aiming. The game even uses the powerful Killzone 3 engine to bring its massive environments and impressive set pieces to life. But don’t just take our word for it — watch the trailer above, and check out the new screens in this post.

Stay tuned to Killzone.com and PlayStation.Blog, because we’ll have a behind-the-scenes interview with game director Piers Jackson soon.

http://blog.us.plays...er-and-screens/

#2 king9x   King of NYNEX CAGiversary!   383 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

I, for one, am impressed. I understand its just marketing fluff at this point but I'll keep my hopes up.

I really want the Vita to succeed.

#3 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1574 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

It won't take much for this game to be better than COD and Resistance. I don't have high hopes though. At minimum, I hope they at least improve the sound quality to these FPS Vita games.

#4 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

It looks good. I just hope it runs smooth. On such a small screen (all things considered, it's still an FPS on a 5" screen) any lag/screen-tearing will be terrible. That said...it looks amazing. You could see in the trailer that some of the explosion animations were rough/low-res, which is fine. Considering a September release, this is shaping up quite well. I just wish they could get 8 vs 8 working on the Vita, but I assume they are taking into account slow wifi connections.

#5 PimpLimp   Pimpin Aint Easy CAGiversary!   1660 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

PimpLimp

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Killzone: Mercenary Dev Interview and new info.

EDIT: Done

Edited by PimpLimp, 08 March 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#6 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70295 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Can you remove the "s" after http in the youtube link? It breaks the thread.

#7 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'm interested. With how shitty COD:BOD was, it's not that hard for K:M to impress. That said, it actually does look really good, so long as the controls are right.

#8 lewchief   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   192 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm not sure if anyone on here signed up for the beta but the codes are starting to roll out today. Just got mine!

#9 tokyostomp  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

i didn't get one, s throwing it out there. if anyone doesn't want theirs, shoot me a PM

*edit Got one

#10 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4650 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Here's hoping it turns out great. God knows that the Vita could use a great FPS.

#11 KingZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hope I get one too, but Ive got the Beta code from Home. Please share any info about the Beta if you tried it out.

#12 AzGoat   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   458 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Anyone with a extra could I would sure love to have one! Please pm me?

#13 lewchief   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   192 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I will once I get home from work.

#14 KingZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Just got the email with invitation to Beta :D How unlucky I have Vita with me but its out of juice :( I'll share my impression soon too.

#15 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'd be curious to know if aiming accurately with the right stick is as nearly impossible as it is in Uncharted. That's the only game I've got that uses the right stick for aiming and I sure can't aim well with it.

#16 Tengaport   Cover your heart Indy! CAGiversary!   286 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sigh... looking for an extra code here too if anyone has one to share.

Really have my fingers crossed for this game.

#17 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

I signed up but didn't get a code. If anyone has an extra...please?

#18 lewchief   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   192 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

I'd love to let everyone know how the beta is except I can't connect to anything. I've tried to contact guerrilla through the beta forums but I can't get on that either.

#19 KingZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

1st impression is truly positive, aiming and control is overall great, no frame-drop, encountered some lags but wasnt big deal at all. I didnt have any problem with connection, loading is fast just longer time to commence battle.

#20 lewchief   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   192 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

Finally got to play a few matches and its really solid. Graphics are truly impressive and it plays just like its bigger brothers.

#21 KingZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

The only problem so far is the game doesnt have dedicated server.

#22 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1574 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Here is a pretty good video on youtube posted of the gameplay. Without even playing this I can already tell it is much better than Resistance on Vita.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rlc4_ASQsdk

#23 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4650 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Here is a pretty good video on youtube posted of the gameplay. Without even playing this I can already tell it is much better than Resistance on Vita.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rlc4_ASQsdk

Thx for the video. The game looks miles ahead of any other FPSs on the Vita. September 17th cannot come soon enough.

#24 iowaholdem   Tooters CAGiversary!   2007 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

Any chance anyone has a beta code they want to get rid of? I didn't get in the beta.

#25 Dark Lord Greg   The Urban Legend CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Dark Lord Greg

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Man wish I would have known about the beta registration oh well will just wait until its release

#26 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

The videos I'm seeing for this look amazing. Not just the graphics either, the gameplay looks solid. While 4v4 is a bit disappointing, the map sizes seem perfect (so far). Definitely looking forward to this!

#27 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1574 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

The videos I'm seeing for this look amazing. Not just the graphics either, the gameplay looks solid. While 4v4 is a bit disappointing, the map sizes seem perfect (so far). Definitely looking forward to this!

I wish it was 4x4x4 or 6x6 instead. Since the max players we have seen in a multiplayer match in Vita games have been 8, does anyone think that they will be able to increase this number in future games without making the graphics suffer in the future?

#28 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

I can barely aim with the right analog stick in Uncharted. It's a jittery mess. An online FPS on Vita sounds like it would just be painful. Those tiny analog sticks... I guess they work well for some people?

#29 KingZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Reminds me of how terrible I was at KZ2 after purchasing PS3, never played on a controller before I didnt get how it works, always be in the bottom of score-table. But after a month of playing, adjusting and patient, I mostly finished in top 5 high scores. Use the motion control if your aim is terrible, Practice gets you better.

#30 The Furry Panda   Bravest Warrior CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

The Furry Panda

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

So excited to start that beta today. It and divekick will hopefully max out my vitas playtime.