CAGcast #312: It Just Comes Automatically

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Lots of big topics to discuss this week, including: the Sony announcement, DMC, Ni no Kuni, GTA V, the Medal of Honor franchise and so much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]222[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 1 minute) - Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: The Black Hole - Main Title - Bally Astrocade

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Please for the love of god, someone needs to edit CheapyD saying "you don't suck on it, it just comes" and "it was really hard on my hands" and all that hilarious innuendo. I can't stop laughing as I type this. *wipes tears*

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed you guys haven't played video game demos in a long time. If Wombat wants to get his game playing cred back, just play that stuff for an hour a week.

Kinda felt like you guys phoned it in a bit this week, though I just assumed that was because there wasn't THAT much going on in gaming news. Sure, there is the Playstation announcement...of a Playstation announcement. Surprised you guys didn't mention anything about the impending trailer debut for something tomorrow, the one that was kinda God of War-y, and just said "Game On - 2/1/13".

Honestly, I kinda get where you are coming from as to which console I'm going to buy. It's really going to come down to launch titles, price, and controller for me. As of right now, this instant, I'm probably going to get the Nextbox or whatever the hell they are going to call the damn thing. I'm not saying that to start a fanboy war, because I'm not opposed to the PS3. I would love to get one, if they could justify me getting it. I've tried the controller in the kiosks in Target and Game Stop, I just didn't like how it felt in my hand. Even the PS2 I have, I never use the original Dualshock that came with it. I bought a Logitech wireless that is a little bulkier and fits better in my hand, similar to the 360 controller. If Sony can get some games out that I would be interested in, something other than JRPGs and shooters, maybe I'll consider buying one. If I have to drop $900 on one at launch (yes, an exaggeration), forget about it. Same goes with Xbox, though. If the only thing I can buy for it at launch are COD, Halo (I'm a fan of single player Halo only, never been a multiplayer fan of anything), and Gears, I'll wait on a price drop, or something good to come out for it. If Fable IV and Dragon Age III are coming out at launch, and it doesn't cost an ungodly amount, I might consider buying it at launch. That said, I'm still of the opinion that we will not see either one of them launch this fall. Fall 2014, definitely. This year? Nope. I'd believe that there will be an announcement about them both this year, no doubt, just not a launch.

I am glad to hear you guys agree with my thoughts that any games released at the very least this fall, maybe over the next couple years will, indeed, be cross-generational. That gives me hope that I might very well be able to play Dragon Age III this year. lol

quick show, but entertaining as always. i really dug the bit about keeping a console's consumer base after the next gen; sony did a great job with that(ps2 production in japan stopped less than a month ago), but that was greatly due to lack of backward compatability and to a lesser extent the churning out of lackluster budget titles. I still have a ps1 and a ps2...im that dumb.

ps1-1995/2006-fall release
ps2-2000/2013-spring release
ps3-2006/????-fall release
ps4-2013(TBD)

Last edited:
I haven't heard that score from the Blackhole since the VHS era.
Thanks for reopening the psychological scars of Anthony Perkins' guts being blended and churned by Maximilian's Cuisinart hands and seeing the zombie/lobotomized space slave crew as a young tyke. Disney's most horrific movie release ever. *Goes fetal* Save me V.I.N.C.E.N.T.

Seriously though, I can't wait for DEAD SPACE 3, micro-transactions . . . not so much.

Paul Williams, Cannonball run w/ that really tall cowboy old dude w/ the mustache right? I can't get the out-takes from that movie outta' my head for some reason. Sammy Davis, "Rosary bleads."

How about a Greatest American Hero theme song intro for the next one.

So I have been waiting for a good time to start White Witch, do I really need a hint book to enjoy it & keep it movin'?

I finished Gun also Cheapy & ... Eragon which was a CAG call that I ordered for $9. Condemned & Prey were a couple of gems back in tha' day also. Why can't new games be as scary as Condemned or Dead Space or ... The original Clocktower w/ Scissorman? Lol, forgot the bad guy's name. Before all of these great game experiences, anyone else play Friday the 13th & find Jason's mom's head on the table?

Speaking of next gen, I prolly wont buy anything for a good year or 2 til the next ps4 or nextbox fix all their janky early adopter models. Going forward it looks better for sony tho imo this time round since they have a larger bevy of 1st party dev games and 2nd party support outside of smaller dl titles.

If you want way less retail exclusives and more bite sized mini games exclusives/timed exclusives like trials, mark of the ninja, fez ect than go with the new xbox. If you want a bevy of retail exclusive 1st and 2nd party games and exclusive 3rd party dlc as well as less in number but more industry acclaimed dl titles journey, black swan, pixel junk ect than go ps4

It all comes down to if microsoft tries another pay to play multiplayer or access features sub model again, or goes a different route with LIVE next gen to compete with PLUS.
Will PS4 keep a strong Plus showing and keep the free to play model or go this gens xbox Lives route for that matter?

one thing is for sure for both companys with folks like steam and rumored apple wanting to compete.

Microsoft cant depend on 3rd partys anymore to be their only selling point this next gen of making the argument that their games look marginally better and maybe occasionally have a timed selling point while putting out less and less exclusives every year. Also stop with the bs that paying to access multiplayer and built in sysytem features makes somehow the xbla a better experience. it doesnt. Oh and stop burying your game tabs in Ads for moutain dew its f'ing stupid. In fact get rid of silverlight please.

Sony cant rely on word of mouth of its offerings and needs to actually market and stop with pushing new tech on consumers who arent ready nor the market like 3d or simulview ect and soon to be 4k tvs. Stop focusing on gimmicky bs! Work on redesigning and ease of access to your store front with the consumer in mind. Its nice and all you finally gave us all access to your webstore and all but when its better than using the store from the xmb than thats a problem. Oh and this next gen how about dont segregate your market and pack in a headset and or Move if you...*sigh* try to use it again.

Kinect...Move... you both suck and need to die in a fire. Your gimmicky AND A NOVELTY. Sorry baller beatz, Sorcery, dance central, and wonderbook.

that is all.

You also need cable to get ESPN on the 360, but it's still a useful service that makes paying for Gold feel like less of a rip-off. I've watched quite a few soccer games on there recently.

Cheapy should play P4 Golden on the Vita and let his wife watch a TV show for a change.

Interesting theory about Grand Theft Auto 5, though they've always had a closer relationship with Microsoft then Sony. Perhaps it is the opposite, perhaps they delayed GTA 5 in order to produce an upconvert version as a launch title for the next xbox.

Launch is a time for a new IPs, so unless Microsoft hits a few good ones they are going to be in trouble as pretty much all their quality IPs save Halo, Forza, and Gears have been poached for the other systems. Sony still has boatloads of quality, exclusive IPs to pair with the new IPs that will be launched, so even if most of them fail, they have others to fall back on.

I don't intend to buy any next gen systems for a year or two, but knowing nothing about the two, I would probably pick the playstation as Sony's launch systems don't have a history of a high failure rate.

We all know nexgen is imminent. Honestly, I'm hoping that Sony's big presser on the 20th is to announce a new gaikai-onlive style steaming service will be coming to the PS3 on the 21st of February!

@h3bring3er

Disney's the Black Hole is high on my personal list of films I want to see remade. (Yes, the original is still great but still....wireframe graphics FTL.)

I have a request for future shows. I'm probably being a needy a-hole but if you guys could put in the show notes the books, tv shows, movies, you guys mention on the cagcast. The ones you recommend for example like the Billion Dollar Batman Wombat mentioned for example or "watch this bitches" suggestions. Sometimes I'm listening in my car or somewhere that I'm unable to write down the names of stuff you guys mention to check out later and either forget or have a hell of a time trying to find the right moment when you guys mentioned it because of something else I'm doing. I know I'm probably asking for a lot, but it would be appreciated if you could!

One of the nice features of Skulls of the Shogun you forgot to mention, not only does it have cross platform multiplayer, it also saves your campaign across platforms. Automatically, nothing to login to. So play a level on your phone and pick up where you left on Xbox 360 when you get home.

Well, I was disappointed that CheapyD nor Wombat or Shipwreck didn't mentioned in episode 311 that Pandora's Tower was announced for the Wii considering that the episode had a bit of Nintendo talk due to the Nintendo Direct episode. With that considered, do you still keep your old consoles and wait until the publishers stop releasing games from the previous console before some if not all move on to the next generation of consoles. Also, did you three had a chance to play Xenoblade Chronicles (GameStop exclusive) and/or The Last Story that came to the US that in a way that a group called Operation Rainfall had heavily supported in getting Nintendo to release these games?

[quote name='testudo']I don't even remember asking that question. I actually asked a more relevant question VERY RECENTLY, but that wasn't answered EITHER...

http://cdnroot.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71382&page=306

maybe i'll wait another 100 episodes or so.

ALSO:

Cheapy you can play Ni no Kuni on Normal then switch to easy if you are grinding too much.[/QUOTE]

and I don't remember being signed in to your account when I posted it, but myself, I felt it was relevant, especially with the potential PS4 anouncement.

I fell asleep during "Watch This Bitches". Don't shoehorn the segment into every episode if you have to talk about some junk kindle book you read, yes READ. For the love of gaming, that is not a suggestion to make a what did you read segment.

I like Wombat and what he adds to the show. What's with all the "gamer cred" upset with Wombat, who played X-com, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, etc. Until he says "Oblivion and Skyrim owe GTA for the open world/sandbox". Guess he forgot Elder Scrolls 1, 2, and 3 exist. Or any other PC game that invented the genre before GTA was in development or still on GTA1/2 which were top down driving/shooting games.

Love it when you 3 discuss gaming news and share your opinions on it. So while you didn't have much "What did you play" and "What's coming out", still enjoyed the episode.

Honestly I mostly listen to the CAGcast for the banter between Cheapy D, Wombat, and Shipwreck and the game discussion is just a byproduct. I would consider myself a "gamer" and I don't play nearly as many games as even Wombat. Life and other interests just get in the way sometimes.

Keep in mind also that no one on the CAGcast gets paid to play games, just to make sexual innuendos.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I fell asleep during "Watch This Bitches". Don't shoehorn the segment into every episode if you have to talk about some junk kindle book you read, yes READ. For the love of gaming, that is not a suggestion to make a what did you read segment.

I like Wombat and what he adds to the show. What's with all the "gamer cred" upset with Wombat, who played X-com, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, etc. Until he says "Oblivion and Skyrim owe GTA for the open world/sandbox". Guess he forgot Elder Scrolls 1, 2, and 3 exist. Or any other PC game that invented the genre before GTA was in development or still on GTA1/2 which were top down driving/shooting games.

Love it when you 3 discuss gaming news and share your opinions on it. So while you didn't have much "What did you play" and "What's coming out", still enjoyed the episode.[/QUOTE]

No reason to be an asshole as that wasn't what I said. I said that in this generation the open world game is better than it ever has been and that GTA isn't the only game in town. At its peak GTA was the best open world experience out there and games like skyrim and oblivion owe a lot to GTA success.

On the "Far Cry 3 is racist" thing...

I think the most notable thing about this discussion is that first and foremost Far Cry 3 is a videogame. And pretty much all videogames (particularly RPG and open world games) suffer from the "completely useless NPC syndrome". It doesn't matter if you're on a tropcial island, fighting dragons in Skyrim or doing fetch quests on the Citadel in Mass Effect; the one pervasive rule is that all NPCs are useless and they would die of starvation if the player wasn't there to go herd their stupid sheep.

Personally I find that twisting this into a discussion about race simply because it's taking place in a country where the natives are predominantly non-white is a bit tedious. But then again, I'm a priviliged white man, so what do I know of injustice?

BTW I didn't get the impression that Wombat was claiming the game to be racist. He more seemed to bring the topic up and when both Ship and Cheapy said "no" it was pretty much discussion over.

Show Notes

00:45 Sony 2013 Announcement Announcement
09:30 Show Feedback
13:30 Watch This: Dark Knight Returns part II
14:45 Read This (?): Billion Dollar Batman
17:30 Watch This: Paul Williams is still alive
18:45 New Releases
18:45 Skulls of the Shogun
21:00 Balloon Fight
21:30 Hitman HD Trilogy
22:45 Proteus
24:00 GTA V - which consoles
28:30 Devil May Cry
33:30 Medal of Honor is done
38:00 Steambox vs Apple
39:30 Ni No Kuni
43:15 Spyhunter (Vita)
46:15 Killzone for the Vita
48:30 Nintendo reduces target numbers
49:00 Temple Run 2
50:15 Cagbag
50:15 Raid: The Redemption / Dredd
51:15 Loyalty between console generations
57:30 Why no big summer releases? $$$

Hi Cheapy,

I saw Dredd, a movie that you recommended last podcast and it was great. It's too bad it didn't do that well in America. I'd love a sequel. Great show, as always.

[quote name='Falcongamer']Well, I was disappointed that CheapyD nor Wombat or Shipwreck didn't mentioned in episode 311 that Pandora's Tower was announced for the Wii considering that the episode had a bit of Nintendo talk due to the Nintendo Direct episode. With that considered, do you still keep your old consoles and wait until the publishers stop releasing games from the previous console before some if not all move on to the next generation of consoles. Also, did you three had a chance to play Xenoblade Chronicles (GameStop exclusive) and/or The Last Story that came to the US that in a way that a group called Operation Rainfall had heavily supported in getting Nintendo to release these games?[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck mentioned that he liked Xenoblade before, but I'm not sure how far he got into it.

[quote name='apathylad']Shipwreck mentioned that he liked Xenoblade before, but I'm not sure how far he got into it.[/QUOTE]

Played about 30 or 40 hours of it.

The banter between the 3 is what makes the show for me, which is why when they are doing a duo show it feels off. It even feels off when one of them steps away from the mic to do something while the other two keep discussing....or making fun of the guy who is away.

Regarding last week's Wii U discussion:

You guys know Nintendo releases games when they are ready. They don't release major franchises according to the calendar.

Yeah they announced things early but not like everyone didnt know a Smash Bros, Super Mario 3d and Zelda isn't coming. Besides if they don't say something then the internets will assume the worst. Never mind that they will be asked the is it coming out question 10 million times over.

WW HD ... that game is coming this year because it is a relatively quick project to ramp up. Most of the work was already done. Why was SMB ready for launch? Was probably originally a Wii title and given the 2d nature of it was an easy ramp up. NintendoLand a launch title because it a sort of a collection of tech demos fleshed out as mini-games. Pikmin 3 was also most likely originally a Wii title. They had said a new Pikmin was coming to the Wii. It didnt show. And look Pikmin3 was in the Wii U launch window. And expect that Yoshi game to come out this year. Another easier ramp up given the 2d nature and the Yarn engine is mature. ;)

Notice the 3ds had a couple redos early on to help fill the schedule. These are projects they can satisfactorily complete in a shorter amount of time.

Oh and why pick on Nintendo for announcing games early. Everyone does it. Pick a game that isn't an annual sequel and chances are you heard about it years in advAnce. Why pick on them for software console problems saying users are beta testing it? You can say that about any console on the market now. Are early adopters ever not beta testing?

The Wii U launched with a Mario franchise whose last version that sold 20+ million copies on the Wii. Is there really a better Mario game to launch with?

Too much doom and gloom. Let it breathe.

I've tried to stay away from any discussion of Ni No Kuni so as not to have the story spoiled for me. I also wanted to discover secrets and such on my own. I haven't glanced at the CAG thread at all. But after listening to this CAGcast and hearing about the 6.5 from Polygon and then seeing a few other low scores on Metacritic I decided to read a few reviews (now that I'm near the end of the game).

And wow - I didn't realize that "grinding" was an issue in Ni No Kuni. In fact my impressions have been that it is remarkably free of grinding in comparison to most JRPGs. If anything, the game is a little too easy. Yet here I just read a few of the more negative reviews (The Escapist and Polygon) and both complain about the grinding and the slow pace of receiving menu options. I'd actually argue that the pacing is really good. Now, if you just wanted to power through the story as quickly as possible then you might have some problems. But if you take on the majority of the sidequests you will be fine for the bosses. And parting out menu options across the first half of the game is a a great way to entice the gamer with all that potential (what will that "?" reveal next!).

The review on The Escapist says you might make it through a boss only to be wiped out by some random encounter. Well, sure, once you can fly around you can land yourself in some tough areas mid-game. But that's what I always love about JRPG's done right - the freedom to explore and get yourself into a real mess. But none of those areas are necessary for the story - it is just extra stuff. Both Dragon Quest VIII (my favorite PS2 game) and Xenoblade Chronicles have this same feature. The main story and boss battles are definitely on the easy side in this game though. I'm by no means a "pro" gamer so I wonder about these reviewers who had so much trouble with the game.

Plus the game does not have random encounters - all enemies are visible and can for the most part be avoided if you want. I see the term "random encounters" thrown around pretty loosely. To me random encounters are when you see no monsters on the map and as you walk around battles start up at random. I think DQ VIII was this way and it got pretty annoying though I loved the game in spite of that. Lost Odyssey was like that too. Ni No Kuni is definitely not like that.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear Shipwreck is enjoying the game. While I wouldn't quite put it over Xenoblade Chronicles, it is definitely one of my favorite RPGs this gen, Japanese or not.

The great thing about this game is that my kids (from my 3 year old to my 5 year old to my 10 year old) all beg me to play this game so I've been able to put in a ton of hours on it. I can play it in the evening when they'd normally be watching Netflix or otherwise hogging the TV. I've made a lot more progress than I normally would on a game that I'd have to play by myself late at night after everyone is asleep.

So, yeah, Cheapy, even though it requires a bit of a time commitment, it is something that I'm sure both your wife and Tai would like to watch. So maybe consider it at some point...

@CagCrew

Hey guys have you been following/heard of something that microsoft has been working on for the xbox called illumiRoom? IGN published an article on the techLINK and it certainly appears promising. Have you guys had any "hands on" time with this new tech during a trade show or whatnit? My take on the illumiRoom is the tech looks very cool and it brings us one step closer towards playing games in an environment like Star Trek's Holideck. I think it is safe to assume that everyone who visits CAG would be thrilled to have some version of a holideck projected inside of our living rooms. What do you think?

I would be all for E3 being held at United Skates if they had the dinosaur mascot come out and do the chicken dance in the background during the low points in the presentations.

What's the name of the batman ebook that Wombat mentions? I've tried searching for Billionaire Batman and other variations but no luck.

[quote name='sinsio']What's the name of the batman ebook that Wombat mentions? I've tried searching for Billionaire Batman and other variations but no luck.[/QUOTE]

SEE this is why we need a list of things you guys mention! IM NOT CRAZY I SWEAR.

but anyways, it's called Billion Dollar Batman

Ebook edition: http://www.amazon.com/Billion-Dolla...0104278&sr=8-2&keywords=billion+dollar+batman

Book Paper Thing Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Billion-Dolla...0104278&sr=8-1&keywords=billion+dollar+batman

[quote name='sinsio']What's the name of the batman ebook that Wombat mentions? I've tried searching for Billionaire Batman and other variations but no luck.[/QUOTE]

Sigh.

bread's done
Back